Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #54 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if the question about "murder with deliberation" has been answered yet. I am no where near caught up.

"Prior to 1974, Colorado’s definition of first-degree murder under 18-3-102 C.R.S. included the language that the alleged murderer acted “with premeditated intent to cause death…” Now the language is that the alleged murderer acted “after deliberation and with intent to cause death…” Essentially, they mean the same thing: That first-degree murder in Colorado requires the killer to have thought about killing the victim before actually carrying out the fatal act.

Note that this act of thinking about killing someone can be for a very short period of time, even just a second. But this moment of deliberation and premeditation separates first-degree murder from second degree murder in Colorado, which is killing without premeditation or deliberation. Instead, second degree murder includes intentional and extremely reckless acts which result in an unintended death."

What are "premeditation and deliberation" in Colorado murder cases?

He's got a cool 1.6 mill from the family home he sold so he can afford top notch lawyers.
There is a very good reason for that sealing, I suspect.

It was sealed by the state, not the defense. The defense hasn't even appeared yet. The defense can later on ask for evidence to be sealed, or court to be closed, or for a gag order. But this was ex parte by the prosecution before the defendant was even arrested.

Chaffee County Sheriff's office Press release is up. Not much new information. His mugshot is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

"Morphew’s first court date will be the advisement where any bond arguments will be heard. That hearing will be held at the Chaffee County Courthouse at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 6. The arrest warrant is sealed at this time."

Arrest made in Suzanne Morphew case - Chaffee County Sheriff
BBM

Really? I think it’s pretty bad! He’s aged a lot in the last year.

I both appreciated and respected DA Stanley's shout-out to the Chaffee County Sheriff and investigators -- and especially recognizing the ill-treatment they received especially from SM and crowdsourced led groups --both during and after the search organized by AM.

I'm constantly amazed at the egos of a few (not all) YTubers with obviously nothing to lose-- that won't hesitate to interfere with an investigation with impunity. :eek:

IMO, for the integrity of all ongoing investigations, this idea that a missing person case is cold after only three or four months has to stop.

And a shout out also to Websleuths for standing strong with LE.

I'm glad she called out those who maligned the LE in Chaffee County....& some are themselves former LE.....

Most of all online accusations against the sheriff Spezee - that he was some stooge etc - just disgusting smears.....

I'm glad she gave a ruler against some hands there.....

IMO

I'm ok with the sealed AA. They have reason for it to be sealed. Maybe it's to protect someone who tipped them off in some way, or that particular individual alluded to.
Or maybe it will be unsealed after the bond issue is finalized.

Mugshot
https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1390063252097290245?s=21
View attachment 295959
ETA:
“MUGSHOT of Barry Morphew. He will have his first appearance tomorrow morning at 10:30 a.m. Suzanne’s body has NOT been recovered. The investigation is still ongoing despite this arrest and no one else has been arrested, according to DA Linda Stanley. @FOX21News
3:58 PM · May 5, 2021·Twitter for iPhone (local time)
He has a deer in the headlights look

Trust me, I know when to step away. As I’ve said many times previously, this is the best skill a WSEr can have, knowing when to step away, ain’t got nothing good to say. Again, cheers this ******* will spend his life in prison.

I've given myself numerous self-imposed time-outs....I think I'm about at that point!

In fact, I shall read on, but bow out......

Many XO's to all you who kept Suzanne's story alive.....who knew justice would come....

It's not over yet...

& happy Cinco de Mayo - raise a margarita :)

I share your feelings. Not sure why those are sealed. You would think that the arrested should get immediate access under disclosure laws. The only legit reason I could think to seal it would be if there are other suspects.

Having recently followed two, no-body case convictions in Colorado, one has to recognize that work by investigators is not done. They are still searching for physical evidence-- hoping to recover the body, determine the cause of death, even though an arrest has been made. The DA understands protecting the details and integrity of the case remains paramount. It should be no surprise if the AWA remains sealed until the preliminary hearing.

ETA: Can't forget: the prosecutor only gets one bite of this apple. If BM is acquitted, he goes free --never be punished for SM's murder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members