Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #58 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the time Kelsey Berreth went missing to the end of the trial we kept being shocked by each new revelation over and over and over again. Our conjectures based on MSM coverage paled compared to what the AA revealed. And the info in the AA was just the tip of the iceberg compared to the evidence presented at trial. And it was the prosecution’s telling of that story that made the horror tangible.

I think it will go down that way again in this case. The AA will give us enough discrete information to justify the arrest — web search histories, IM’s, phone pings, key physical forensic evidence gathered, perhaps even a few revealing 3rd party interviews. (I am still not convinced there isn’t a KK equivalent here, or at least a “KK-lite” — someone, male or female, with enough inside info to fill in important gaps.) But the AA won’t reveal everything. Not even close. It will sketch key parts of the story but it won’t draw the entire panorama, it won’t ink in all the little details, it won’t colorize it. But they’ll do that at the trial. Count on it.

It won’t be until 100% of discovery is made available to the defense that they will finally realize just how cooked his goose actually is. Only then might we see a decision to cooperate in exchange for reduced charges. IF BM has better counsel than PF and IF he’s wise enough to see the situation for what it is. But somehow I doubt he will...

MOO.

I absolutely agree. He will proclaim his innocence until the bitter end. It would be super fantastic if the state has so much evidence, that they choose not to even offer a plea deal (with the exception of revealing where SM can be found. I personally don't think he will. It would be an admittance of guilt). I think the ultimate punishment for BM would be having all of his dirty little secrets exposed for the world to see.

bbm
If Barry wasn't living at the home-- hence the hesitation and unwillingness to speak up by the nephew -- maybe the person Barry was living with has a time frame where they cannot account for his whereabouts ?
And they gave this information to LE, resulting in an arrest ?
A long shot and a theory, but we can guess as to what made LE move at the time they chose to do so.
Imo.

Okay, this is interesting. IF Barry wasn't living at PP at the time of Suzanne's disappearance, and he had the girls sympathy at THAT time for whatever reason, their loyalty NOW makes much more sense. Doesn't really mesh with BM saying he saw SM at five a.m. on mother' day when he left for the Broomfield job though. Is that info verified? MOO.

He booked that room (we still don't know when or how) supposedly, for his crew, who arrived sometime later on Sunday (that time has shifted several times so I'm not sure what time they really got there).

He had allegedly showered or at least left wet towels around, and the bed appeared to have been mussed up a bit, plus his personal property insurance mail in a trash can so clearly, he didn't have his own room.

I guess that might mean that he was planning on saying all along that he was just going to be in Broomfield for the day, and be home Sunday evening.

jmo
BBM
This just reminded me of something that I originally thought of after hearing about the Broomfield trip.
To me, it seems like he purposely left the 'MAIL" there to provide an alibi.
I mean...who opens mail in a hotel room and leaves it ??
and just ONE piece of mail ???
ALIBI.... to prove he was there. That is all.

Last edited:
Friend* who has known BM "a number of years" says: "He knows those woods and Colorado better than anybody out there...he hunted and fished every day of his life." bbm
Friend's stmt may pass smell test for MSM reporter or a youtuber, but not in court, imo.
- - - - - - - -
Trying to visualize friend testifying re ^ in court for def. team, then the cross exam.
CX Q's:
Did you hunt & fish w BM every day?
If not every day, how often? Oh, once a month/twice a year? etc
How many years?
If you personally did not go hunting or fishing w him, how did you know BM did this daily?
Oh, you lived close by?
Did you see BM load & unload gear, coolers in his pickup/vehicle daily?

Oh, so it was BM who told you he hunted & fished daily?
- - - - - - - - - -
Sorry, doubting friend's stmt re daily hunting & fishing is anything but hyperbole. And what about-
- Their friendship? Friends IRL or mostly on FB? Has he known BM only since the M's moved to PP?If so, only ~three yrs.
- Knows "those woods better than anybody"? No lifelong resident of CO - maybe a hunting or fishing outfitter/guide - knows CO woods better than a IN man who hunted there - what, two or three times a year - and has lived there for approx 3 yrs??? Oh really?
my2ct.
Well then if he's like all the other murderers and a creature of habit why can't his past phone history or vehicle history tracking be used as a search tool. I understand that's time consuming but seems like it would also be very telling.

BBM
This just reminded me of something that I originally thought of after hearing about the Broomfield trip.
To me, it seems like he purposely left the 'MAIL" there to provide an alibi.
I mean...who opens mail in a hotel room and leaves it ??
and just ONE piece of mail ???
ALIBI.... to prove he was there. That is all.

I never did quite understand why mail, presumably sent to his home, was even brought into the hotel room.. wasn’t it in the trash? And was something related to property insurance? I mean, if it was for an alibi, he could’ve just left a piece of junk mail with his name on it... plus wouldn’t he assume that the hotel had cameras and would prove he was there?

I don’t know, it’s just a weird little detail to me

The “pal” probably doesn’t follow murder cases (like many of us) and just doesn’t know you clearly don’t get a death certificate after a year of going missing.

For now, I’m going to continue to give family & friends of BM a pass on their shock or even questioning if what BM’s accused of really happened. Self reflection has to be a big one. Did this guy (BM) really have me that fooled? What does that say about me? Etc...

The step brother on PE last Friday said this is going to get ugly. I think he’s right. Folks better brace themselves. This hasn’t even started with accusations that will come to light or start to fly. IMO
I remember very very early on when Andy stated clearly, this is going to get ugly too.

The “pal” probably doesn’t follow murder cases (like many of us) and just doesn’t know you clearly don’t get a death certificate after a year of going missing.

For now, I’m going to continue to give family & friends of BM a pass on their shock or even questioning if what BM’s accused of really happened. Self reflection has to be a big one. Did this guy (BM) really have me that fooled? What does that say about me? Etc...

The step brother on PE last Friday said this is going to get ugly. I think he’s right. Folks better brace themselves. This hasn’t even started with accusations that will come to light or start to fly. IMO
Ita.
In some states it can take 7 years to have a loved one declared deceased.

I don't think anyone believed the mountain lion story, especially after LE said they found no evidence of an animal attack.

As far as the confusion about when a missing person can be declared deceased, I think it's a common mistake. In one of the PE interviews Andy said Barry could not sell the house for seven years, assuming that's how long it would take before a missing person is considered deceased. Imo

Andy didn't bank on a sly and cunning BM to wrangle the guardianship over Suzanne that meant he could sell anything Suzanne owned, including the PP home. My heart ached for Andy after he said that when just a short time later...Boom! Houses were sold and BM moves into a condo so he can sunbathe on the patio.

I was truly shocked to see the condos allowed him to park his favorite toy, BobCat, on the side of his unit. It seems most condominiums have covenants and bylaws that would prevent residents from parking large equipment on the property as it may decrease the value of the individual units.

I absolutely agree. He will proclaim his innocence until the bitter end. It would be super fantastic if the state has so much evidence, that they choose not to even offer a plea deal (with the exception of revealing where SM can be found. I personally don't think he will. It would be an admittance of guilt). I think the ultimate punishment for BM would be having all of his dirty little secrets exposed for the world to see.

JMHO

Sheriff Speeze would not give MM a phone call announcing they had BM in custody for murder, etal if he didn't have a perfectly solid against the SLOB. Aren't we up to five charges already, although none are as important as a conviction on the Murder 1 charge?

I'm hoping evidence is so strong he'd receive the DP. I mean, he did plan to intentionally kill his wife then proceeded to secret her beautiful body from everyone. If a deal is made for revealing Suzanne's location then they can drop the DP down to Life Without Parole. However, knowing how kind and forgiving the Moorman's are, they may not want the DP sought for BM. Their wishes will hold a lot of weight toward the penalty phase.

DeeDee, so sad to hear , what you experienced.:(:(:(
Hope, your life now, has dramatically improved.:):):)

Folk here, can possibly see SM's life with this ugly controlling idiot.
I hope statements from friends, neighbours, text messages will be produced as BM's accounts will just follow the many lies we already have heard.

My pink dress for your precious puppy? :)

I just searched PPP loans for BM’s business. Voila!
https://www.federalpay.org/paycheck-protection-program/sunset-farms-llc-salida-co

ETA: approved 5/2/2020, eight days before she was reported missing...

Another big check incoming
"Sunset Farms LLC is a limited liability company (LLC) located at 19057 Puma Path in Salida, Colorado that received a Coronavirus-related PPP loan from the SBA of $53,745.00 in May, 2020.
https://www.federalpay.org/paycheck-protection-program/sunset-farms-llc-salida-co

Did Suzanne know about this activity? With him in prison, who pays the loan back?

JMHO

Sheriff Speeze would not give MM a phone call announcing they had BM in custody for murder, etal if he didn't have a perfectly solid against the SLOB. Aren't we up to five charges already, although none are as important as a conviction on the Murder 1 charge?

I'm hoping evidence is so strong he'd receive the DP. I mean, he did plan to intentionally kill his wife then proceeded to secret her beautiful body from everyone. If a deal is made for revealing Suzanne's location then they can drop the DP down to Life Without Parole. However, knowing how kind and forgiving the Moorman's are, they may not want the DP sought for BM. Their wishes will hold a lot of weight toward the penalty phase.
In 2020, Colorado abolished the death penalty. The bill passed the Senate by a 19-13 vote on January 30, and the House by a 38-27 vote on February 26. Governor Jared Polis signed the bill into law on March 23, 2020 and commuted the sentences of the three prisoners on the state's death row

In 2020, Colorado abolished the death penalty. The bill passed the Senate by a 19-13 vote on January 30, and the House by a 38-27 vote on February 26. Governor Jared Polis signed the bill into law on March 23, 2020 and commuted the sentences of the three prisoners on the state's death row
The DP can still be applied to crimes committed before July 1, 2020 in Colorado.

Another big check incoming
"Sunset Farms LLC is a limited liability company (LLC) located at 19057 Puma Path in Salida, Colorado that received a Coronavirus-related PPP loan from the SBA of $53,745.00 in May, 2020.

Did Suzanne know about this activity? With him in prison, who pays the loan back?

Possibly the PPP loan will be forgiven? Seems that loan forgiveness is being granted from (other) articles I see.
Maybe it will also depend what happens to his business. If the assets (bobcat included) can be sold and claimed for loan repayment.

I wouldn't think that it will need to be repaid by anyone else .. like their daughters, or Suzanne's estate.

What made the program so popular was the ability for businesses to have their loans forgiven, effectively making them grants.
Effectively, forgiveness is granted to employers that have kept or rehired employees while also maintaining salary levels from before the pandemic.
How to Get Your PPP Loan Forgiven

Last edited:
Friend's Stmt?
Well then if he's like all the other murderers and a creature of habit why can't his past phone history or vehicle history tracking be used as a search tool. I understand that's time consuming but seems like it would also be very telling.
@PaulaDC thx for your post.
Yes, agreeing w you that BM's e-trails such as phone & EVI will be useful. And I suspect LE has devoted a lot of time to it.

Maybe I did not follow your post as intended, but my post was meant to focus on reason to question friend's credibility. It's one thing for a friend to make stmt to MSM, in which reporter does not ask - for whatever reason - about the underlying basis. Entirely different situation from friend being witness in court testifying and subject to cross examination.

Pretrial
, a friend's interview in MSM may portray a crim defendant as particularly knowledgeable on a subject (like CO woods) or as engaging in a certain activity daily (like hunting, fishing).
During trial, on the witness stand, cross examination of a friend may reveal friend has no personal knowledge about about BM's knowledge of the subject (woods?) or BM's daily activities (hunting, fishing?) & is merely repeating what BM told him. Or is lying. Either way, a credibility question.

Not addressing this friend specifically, not saying def atty will/would call him to the stand. After an earlier stmt like this to MSM, on cross exam the friend could be ;)chewed up, as if by mountain lion. my2ct.

Last edited:
ADMIN REMINDER:

Using derogatory terms, name changes or nicknames for any of the case players is a violation of Websleuths TOS.

Such posts get modsnipped or deleted, and repeat violations may result in a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges. Just don't do it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member