Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #58 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ROB QUIRK KOAA TV News 5 Colorado Springs
#BREAKINGNEWS Chaffee County
Barry Morphew is facing two new charges in connection with the alleged murder of his wife, Suzanne Morphew, who has been missing for more than a year.

Prosecutors have added tampering with a deceased human body, a class 3 felony, and possession of a dangerous weapon, a class 5 felony, to the list of charges Barry is already facing in the case, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

The new charges filed Tuesday means Barry is facing a total of five counts in connection with Suzanne’s disappearance. He is also facing charges of forgery in a separate case after he allegedly submitted a mail ballot in his wife's name in last year's election.

Tuesday’s filing lists eight public servants he is accused of trying to influence. The individuals include three agents with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation – Robin Burgess, Joseph Cahill, and Derek Graham – an FBI agent, Jonathan Grusing; a Chaffee County Sheriff’s Deputy Lamine Mullenax; and the chief investigator with the 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, Alexander Walker. Two individuals whose positions are not known – Damon Brown and Kenneth Harris – were also listed in the court filing.
Thank you so much for posting these updates. I am still trying to pick my chin up off the floor about the eight, 8!! public servants BM is accused of trying to influence, not least of which are an FBI agent and Chief Investigator for the 11th Judicial District Attorney’s Office?!
This has to be true, you can’t make this stuff up and IMO, there is no way that 8 different people are lying/trying to frame BM. GMADB.
Even though this is probably the least of his worries, my god.
I mean, the entitlement, arrogance, gall, audacity, and ignorance (there are many more negative adjectives that apply, but I’ll stop there), of this “man” is absolutely astounding.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHomei
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Random question, MOO, if Damon Brown and Kenneth Harris were acting at Confidential Informants, would those roles qualify them as public servants?

Just curious given Sherriff Speeze’s background in Denver and the fact that these two names don’t immediately show up as LE/CBI/FBI.
Yes, (my understanding), just bc they were undercover doesn’t change who they actually worked for. MOO

As much as I dislike Barry Morphew and was convinced he killed Suzanne. I honestly didn't really think he destroyed/mutilated/altered her body.
Now that this charge has come out, I think the ice chest conjecture has validity. I'm sad for Suzanne's family, even more for the girls. At some point they are going to have to reconcile the truth.

A huge shout-out to DA Stanley, she's the mountain lion who will destroy Barry Morphew's lies and bring justice to Suzanne. Oh the irony - the narcissistic big game hunter being taken down by a woman :)
We still don't know if he destroyed or mutilated the body, do we? Couldn't he have just buried or hidden it?

If he collected guns, the short rifle may have been some older item that is technically illegal. I don't think we should jump to conclusions that she was shot. If so, he could have used a hand gun instead of a "short rifle", hand gun being easier to conceal. But my gut feeling is that he would avoid the noise of a firearm. JMO
Agree I think they just came upon it during the search. I think they are going to pile on every little charge they can think of. Is that a good strategy? Maybe.
As much as I dislike Barry Morphew and was convinced he killed Suzanne. I honestly didn't really think he destroyed/mutilated/altered her body.
Now that this charge has come out, I think the ice chest conjecture has validity. I'm sad for Suzanne's family, even more for the girls. At some point they are going to have to reconcile the truth.

A huge shout-out to DA Stanley, she's the mountain lion who will destroy Barry Morphew's lies and bring justice to Suzanne. Oh the irony - the narcissistic big game hunter being taken down by a woman :)
I wonder how many high profile trials are lead by women on both sides?

I think it's probably just a coincidence that half of the eight public servants BM allegedly tried to influence were in the photo. I found other articles showing the business that hosted the barbecue that picture was taken at. The articles show the business has also hosted other meals for LE...all complete with photos of smiling (apparently well fed) members of LE. Nice to see LE in Salida being appreciated.

MOO
I wonder what he did to influence them, besides lying. Maybe it refers to all the evidence he planted to support an abduction story?

Random question, MOO, if Damon Brown and Kenneth Harris were acting at Confidential Informants, would those roles qualify them as public servants?

Just curious given Sherriff Speeze’s background in Denver and the fact that these two names don’t immediately show up as LE/CBI/FBI.

I did see a Damon Brown in LE, Lake County, but who knows.

Adding to my own post
Huge Change on Dates - Includes MAY 9, 2020.
From New Charging Document
COUNT 1-MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE (F1)
Between and including May 9, 2020 and May 10, 2020, Barry Lee Morphew unlawfully, feloniously, after deliberation, and with the intent to cause the death of a person other than himself, caused the death of Suzanne Renee Morphew; in violation of section 18-3- 102(1)(a), C.R.S.
COUNT 2-TAMPERING WITH A DECEASED HUMAN BODY (F3)
Between and including May 9, 2020 and May 10, 2020, Barry Lee Morphew, believing that an official proceeding was pending, in progress, or about to be instituted, and acting without legal right or authority, unlawfully and feloniously willfully destroyed, mutilated, concealed, removed, or altered a human body, part of a human body, or human remains with intent to impair its or their appearance or availability in the official proceedings; in violation of section 18-8-610.5, C.R.S.
COUNT 3-TAMPERING WITH PHYSICAL EVIDENCE (F6)
Between and including May 9, 2020 and March 4, 2021, Barry Lee Morphew, believing that an official proceeding was pending or about to be instituted, and acting without legal right or authority, unlawfully and feloniously destroyed, mutilated, concealed, removed, or altered physical evidence with intent to impair its verity or availability in the pending or prospective official proceeding; in violation of section 18-8-610(1)(a), C.R.S.
COUNT 4-POSSESSION OF A DANGEROUS WEAPON (F5)
Between and including May 9, 2020 and March 4, 2021, Barry Lee Morphew unlawfully, feloniously, and knowingly possessed a dangerous weapon, namely: short rifle; in violation of section 18-12-102(3), C.R.S.
COUNT 5-ATTEMPT TO INFLUENCE A PUBLIC SERVANT (F4)
Between and including May 10, 2020 and May 5, 2021, Barry Lee Morphew unlawfully and feloniously attempted to influence Damon Brown, Lamine Mulenax, Robin Burgess, Alexander Walker, Joseph Cahill, Derek Graham, Kenneth Harris, and Jonathan Grusing, public servants, by means of deceit, with the intent thereby to alter or affect the public servant's decision, vote, opinion, or action concerning a matter which was to be considered or performed by the public servant or the agency or body of which the public servant was a member; in violation of section 18-8-306, C.R.S.

Shut the door! ......sad for her girls, family & friends.

NOTE: The complaint specifies "short rifle," not a sawed-off shotgun. So something that shoots bullets, not shot.
Short-barreled rifle - Wikipedia
I wonder if the dangerous weapon charge relates to something that was found in the post-arrest search of the defendant's condo. Thus, the late addition.
"It is a federal felony to possess an SBR in the United States unless it is registered with the ATF to the person who possesses it." Wikipedia
It will be interesting to know what they found in the condo. They may have needed the arrest to confirm some things in the condo. A search warrant with him out of prison could have been a certain flight risk.
And now we understand why they arrest you away from your premesis. With all these video cams and doorbells serving a warrant is a dangerous job in today's world. moo

...And now the wild speculation begins LOL.

Here is the thing: I don't think they found her. I also don't think they even know COD yet. I think they have evidence of a crime and that he moved her body. That is all. I could be wrong, but I refuse to entertain anything else until we have more.

That said, I wonder if the weapon charge and the charges of attempting to influence agents has to do with him "patrolling" his property with a "short rifle" while searches were taking place?
IIRC didn’t Chris eventually explain that his cryptic clue holding up 5 fingers meant Barry moved Suzanne 5 times?

There is a Damon Brown
Patrol Sergeant at Lake County Sheriff’s Office- Colorado
https://www.linkedin.com/in/damon-brown-33395562
Military background, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics