Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #59 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was posted 3 hours ago by Lauren, and she states "This is for folks in Europe that could not watch the video on @FOX21 News. "

Thank you very much for posting,it is frustrating when clicking on a news article link to find it is not available to Europeans.

I am always so grateful to American posters who summarize unavailable articles or post alternative links.

Sorry for gruesome details below

I recently watched an episode of the UK true crime TV show Shallow Grave where the perp cut off the barrel and stock of a hunting rifle so that it was more of the size of an oversized handgun - it enabled him to conceal the weapon until he shot the victim in the head at short range.

I doubt that happened in this case but it is one possibility.
moo

I wonder if it was Suzanne's body that Barry moved on his last day at PP (March 3). We know that he very likely planted the bike, and the item aka helmet. We also know he was seen coming up out of the river, sweating and frantic, by TD. Did Barry have the evidence (body parts (sorry :(), murder weapon, etc.) hidden all over the PP property, where he slowly, one piece at a time, moved to Indiana, in all the trips he's taken there over the last year? Is that why he was putting up trail cams and guarding the place with a rifle during Andy's search?

Perhaps he went home to "bike and hike," to make the wife happy that Saturday. He knew what he had to do, which is why he cut work short with MG. He asked Suzanne to take a walk around the adjacent property ("Hey honey, come take a look at what I'm working on in the yard."), and he hid the short gun on his person or in a backpack, cooler, or tool bag. He had already dug her grave, and maybe he even shot her after knocking her down in the hole, hence no blood on the surface grass. He hastily buried her, then had to get rid of her ring, but in a safe place, so he could come back to get it later, bc greed. He had to get rid of her cell phone. Since those items were on Suzanne when she was shot, those are the items buried at the spots where the dogs hit. There was DNA on his bobcat from covering her remains, or from splatter. He used his landscaping skills to make the spot appear as though nothing was out of place. Upon selling the property, he had to take her with him bc control, so he moved her body to Indiana to his property there, as well as her personal items.

The only way I can explain the chlorine is if he dismembered her after he shot her, perhaps down in the hole, then he had to clean his tools and possibly his clothes. His skin still reeked when he got to the hotel, and that's why there were wet towels on the floor.

The elk rack was a red herring, to cover the possible smell of decomp around the house.

I'm so anxious for the rest of the puzzle pieces to be released. Not too much longer now.
Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work when he could have disposed of the body in one piece in one remote location. It would have taken a long time to remove skeletal pieces from one location and transfer them to another location and he would have been sure to leave plenty of evidence behind. Anything is possible, though.

If what Andy thinks is true, and he got rid of the body in a three and a half hour time period, then I think he hid the body somewhere between Salida and Denver. There are a lot of hours that are unaccounted for when he was supposedly preparing the jobsite in Broomfield.

Last edited:
Somewhat related to previous posts re: choice of defense attorneys:

Will having a lead female defense attorney help Harvey Weinstein? The jury is out

Harvey lost.

Honestly these types of comments are really offensive to women attorneys. Guess what - most people don't hire a woman lawyer because she's a woman. They hire her because she's a good attorney. If Barry hired male attorneys no one on this thread would be screeching about his choice of attorneys and their looks and their qualifications. Barry hired two extremely qualified CO defense attorneys. Cover their photos and read their resumes. Do you still have the same snarky takes? I didn't think so. Let's try to be part of the solution and not the problem.

For him to know it was gone, he'd have to know it was there to begin with. And how could he have know that unless he as the one that put it there?

It has always struck me as odd that Barry immediately jumped to the conclusion, and wanted everyone else to as well, that Suzanne was missing. Just because the bike wasn't home, why did that mean she was missing? Why not that she had just gone for a late afternoon bike ride? If cell service there was patchy, the fact that they hadn't heard from her might not mean a thing. The neighbor having to go back to her house to keep placing calls to Barry, was that an indication of how bad the cell signals were there?

MOO
If the cellphone service is/was bad, then he should have reported Suzanne as missing many times before May 10th or at least prompted their neighbour to report her missing several times. I believe, BM of course called his wife every day, when he was absent because of work. In need to control her and her whereabouts. You know: most beautiful woman of the county; that opportunity for badnesses needs control all the time! So, why didn't he report Suzanne missing long before May 2020 and not only one time? If he did not, why not and why suddenly on Mother's Day 2020 of all days? - The answer we know. He knew in advance and forgot to play ignorant.

<RSBM>

If what Andy thinks is true, and he got rid of the body in a three and a half time period, then I think he hid the body somewhere between Salida and Denver. There are a lot of hours that are unaccounted for when he was supposedly preparing the jobsite in Broomfield.

Yes, I got the impression from the video (6 min mark) that swedeheart and dixie just posted that the tampering with a deceased person happened soon after the murder.
As if he murdered Suzanne and then fairly quickly disposed of her.

"He's been charged with 1st degree murder and tampering with a deceased human body between May 9th and May 10th, a day before Suzanne was reported missing"

I still think the "mechanical thing" he did with his Bobcat was to put on, use, and then take off an auger attachment. He DOES NOT want to admit this, hence "mechanical thing", because he had no current jobs lined up that would justify it's use. Broomfield job didn't need it. MOO.

Ahhh, great point. To follow on with that line of thought, maybe there is some significance to the trees BM purchased (remember that being a big deal during AM’s search)

Maybe he bought these trees as an excuse for why he needed to use an auger, but LE can tell that 5 random trees planted for no reason doesn’t excuse why an auger attachment would have been on his bobcat that Saturday.

That reminds me. Initally I scratched my head over the fact fire-fighters were excluded from searching. Anyone else remember that? I chalked it up to a conflict of interest/internal affairs type of situation. Where Speeze wanted to keep a tight lid on things and knew fellow firefighters might share investigative details with ole Barry.

That’s a great point.

Also, in rural areas the majority of the firefighters are volunteers. You’ll typically have a chief, assistant chief, and maybe a handful of paid firefighters then the rest (majority) are volunteers.

So as a Sherriff, not allowing the firefighters is reasonably close to not allowing the general public to participate in a LE search as well as for the reason you outlined.

Honestly these types of comments are really offensive to women attorneys. Guess what - most people don't hire a woman lawyer because she's a woman. ***
Snipped for focus..

I agree articles like the ones ^^^ smack of sexism, but they also have a point. In a case with many equivalently-qualified choices, gender can matter in attorney selection, as can many other details, like age, or even hair color, for gosh sake (think: older men with grey hair).

I think your sentence would more accurately be written: “Guess what - most people don't hire a woman lawyer JUST because she's a woman.”

That reminds me. Initally I scratched my head over the fact fire-fighters were excluded from searching. Anyone else remember that? I chalked it up to a conflict of interest/internal affairs type of situation. Where Speeze wanted to keep a tight lid on things and knew fellow firefighters might share investigative details with ole Barry.
Yes, I remember it distinctly. IIRC, Sheriff Spezze barred the firefighters from searching from the “very beginning”. I mean, it was immediately known the ff were not allowed to participate in searching. To me, that says Spezze was suspicious of the husband from the very beginning. It’ll be interesting to see the AA to see what evidence created this huge cloud of suspicion around the husband. MOO

My only comment on the defense team is that my personal moral compass wouldn’t allow me to use my kids as a driving passion for why I defend alleged criminals and specifically alledged domestic violence criminals. Yuck. But this is America and you do you, I guess.

I’d also have to think this was suspicious to Sheriff Speeze because this type of crime barely ever happens in Chaffee County and 50 year old women are rarely targets.

I’ve been meaning to look up a historical Chaffee County crime map to validate this theory. But I’d imagine they are dealing more with drugs, theft, driving incidents, missed court dates and things along those lines.

I’d also have to think this was suspicious to Sheriff Speeze because this type of crime barely ever happens in Chaffee County and 50 year old women are rarely targets.

I’ve been meaning to look up a historical Chaffee County crime map to validate this theory. But I’d imagine they are dealing more with drugs, theft, driving incidents, missed court dates and things along those lines.

As expected, violent crime in Chaffee County is very rare. Only 5 violent crimes were committed in all of 2019 in the county, with the majority occurring by people 1/2 the age of SM.

The second link is the homepage and you can create you own search criteria for the type of crime by county by year.

Colorado Crime Statistics

Colorado Crime Statistics

https://www.bestplaces.net/crime/county/colorado/chaffee

Honestly these types of comments are really offensive to women attorneys. Guess what - most people don't hire a woman lawyer because she's a woman. They hire her because she's a good attorney. If Barry hired male attorneys no one on this thread would be screeching about his choice of attorneys and their looks and their qualifications. Barry hired two extremely qualified CO defense attorneys. Cover their photos and read their resumes. Do you still have the same snarky takes? I didn't think so. Let's try to be part of the solution and not the problem.

Sincere apologies, was not meant in any way to be offensive but now see how it came across that way. My (albeit shallow) point was trying to address previous comments in which opinions were expressed regarding BM's intentional hiring of female attorneys. Even in a high profile case like HW's, MSM was analyzing this aspect, too. Doesn't make it "right," though.

Again, apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members