Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #59 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, BM and his family hired the attorneys they did based mostly on the not guilty verdict rendered in the Tom Fallis case.

In their minds, that case and BM’s probably seem similar—a dead wife, a missing presumed dead wife, and husband accused.

But SUZANNE’s situation is far different than the Fallis case. So much more movement to track and trace in almost every aspect, making BM a whole ‘nother animal.

So to speak. IMO.

I read this article about their work on the Fallis case
Wrongly Accused: One Man's Tragic Journey Through the Colorado Legal System

It seemed to me that LE and the prosecutors did a poor job; I really hope they don’t do the same for this case - I don’t think they will, based on what we’ve seen of them so far - because this defence team will be on to it.

It was in a different area ie not the same LE and DA etc.

Interesting read, including a lot about the pros and cons of grand juries.

I wonder if Barry planted Suzanne’s blood on the bike in an effort to indicate whatever happened was on the bike. Maybe that’s why he is so chapped that everyone handled the bike and destroyed the evidence. Maybe that is how they know she is deceased and also why TN asked people to inquire about the bike’s condition then quickly hushed. IMO
that is an interesting theory!

I guess I'm a bit confused by the amended complaint https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21CR78 Morphew Amended Complaint 051821.pdf
With the addition of the words DOMESTIC VIOLENCE just sitting there, above the charges. o_O

If he's being charged with that too, where is that charge?
And if not, why is the complaint amended, since nothing else is different?
This may answer your question.

From the link: Domestic violence in Colorado is not treated as an independent crime. Rather, DV is a sentencing enhancement. It increases the punishment for any offense against current or former spouses or dating partners.

Colorado Domestic Violence Laws - A Defense Lawyer's Guide

I’m intrigued by the dates in Counts 3 & 4 too @EggSalad, and posted similar thoughts the other day, albeit they came out a bit more garbled (brain overload whilst processing the charges), than you succinctly state above.
I’ve always felt Suzanne was murdered on Saturday May 9th, after BM got home from the jobsite, around time wedding convo with BFF abruptly ended. There have been several times mentioned as to when the wedding convo abruptly cutoff. I’ve heard a couple different early afternoon times, and an evening time mentioned. It will be interesting to know this and many other details, hopefully soon.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

I’m glad they amended the complaint to add domestic violence. I hope they keep adding charges.

I wonder if Barry planted Suzanne’s blood on the bike in an effort to indicate whatever happened was on the bike. Maybe that’s why he is so chapped that everyone handled the bike and destroyed the evidence. Maybe that is how they know she is deceased and also why TN asked people to inquire about the bike’s condition then quickly hushed. IMO
I don't know what would scream "staged" louder than her blood being on the bike. Yet, no sign of a struggle or blood in any other place other than the bike!!

I do think that this is a good possibility, though!!

I hope that LE can track Barry to the area where Suzanne's personal item was found about a week later.

JMO.

That’s just country folk talk, IMO.
When towns are small, people will reference the county since its larger.

Also East Coast thing I guess. Not to do with area size but population and political power. My county in Northern Virginia has over a million people. People in a county (up until recently IMO) tended to be more homogeneous in values, income and politics, made sense for fair comparisons. Whereas if you compared something with the entire state of Virginia and DC metro area the standard indicators varied wildly.

Last edited:
This may answer your question.

From the link: Domestic violence in Colorado is not treated as an independent crime. Rather, DV is a sentencing enhancement. It increases the punishment for any offense against current or former spouses or dating partners.

Colorado Domestic Violence Laws - A Defense Lawyer's Guide
Maybe they added it because the crime was particularly cruel or inhumane? They may have evidence of past abuse leading up to the murder as well. Imo

I’m intrigued by the dates in Counts 3 & 4 too @EggSalad, and posted similar thoughts the other day, albeit they came out a bit more garbled (brain overload whilst processing the charges), than you succinctly state above.
I’ve always felt Suzanne was murdered on Saturday May 9th, after BM got home from the jobsite, around same time SM’s wedding convo with her BFF abruptly ended. There have been several times mentioned as to when the wedding convo abruptly cutoff. I’ve heard a couple different early afternoon times, and an evening time mentioned. It will be interesting to know this and many other details, hopefully soon.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Thanks! After rereading my post, it’s still pretty garbled. That’s what I get for trying to write it on my phone 1 minute before a meeting starts.

What is intriguing is the timing of charges 3 & 4 aligning with a start date (May 9th) when its suspected that SM was murdered and an end date of March4th (the day after PP sale closed).

For count 4 (possession of short rifle), the charge states that BM was in possession of the weapon during those dates. The charge does not state that he was currently in possession of it during the time of the charges. So there must be some proof that BM was in possession of that gun on the day SM was murdered. I don’t think it’s a huge jump to then realize that the prosecution can prove that was the murder weapon. They are going to prove BM was in possession of that weapon in May 9th which happens to be the day SM was murdered. Did he buy it that day? Can they prove gun shots or bullet holes or other gun forensics in that house? Did forensic accounting discover that BM purchased this weapon via the dark web? That would be pretty obvious premeditation. It is probably one or some combination of those things. .

But then that charge states that he was no longer in possession of the weapon after March 4th. So what happened at that time? Well, the PP property was sold and BM no longer possessed that property. If the gun was concealed at the property, then when the property was sold, BM ceased to possess it.

The same line of thought applies to count 3. BM tampered with evidence not only on the day SM was murdered (May 9th) but continued to do so right up until he sold the PP home.

I can’t wait to read the AA. I feel pretty confident based on the charges that the short rifle was the murder weapon and it was well hidden at PP until the new owners took over the property and allowed LE to have free reign of the grounds.

Last edited:
Here is the amended complaint:

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21CR78 Morphew Amended Complaint 051821.pdf

I’m intrigued by the May 9 - March 4 dates for count 3&4.

IMO, count 3 implies that BM did clean up and other things at the home to tamper with physical evidence. Based on the dates, it seems to state that he did multiple things to the home leading all the way up until it was sold.

For count 4 (fire arm possession) one would interpret that that BM no longer possessed the gun as of March 4th. I wonder if that means the gun was hidden on the PP property and as soon as BM sold the property, he no longer possessed the weapon.

I’d think the May 9th start date of the charges imply SM was murdered May 9th with the gun being the murder weapon. BM did short term and long term cleanup of the PP home including hiding of that gun. And once he no longer possessed the home or gun that was concealed, the charges have that end date.

Which makes me think the new owners consented to a search.
I wonder if he also replaced flooring or carpeting to get rid of evidence. In the first search of the home it looked like there was a piece of carpet in an evidence bag.

Thanks! After rereading my post, it’s still pretty garbled. That’s what I get for trying to write it on my phone 1 minute before a meeting starts.

What is intriguing is the timing of charges 3 & 4 aligning with a start date (May 9th) when its suspected that SM was murdered and an end date of March4th (the day after PP sale closed).

For count 4 (possession of short rifle), the charge states that BM was in possession of the weapon during those dates. The charge does not state that he was currently in possession of it during the time of the charges. So there must be some proof that BM was in possession of that gun on the day SM was murdered. I don’t think it’s a huge jump to then realize that the prosecution can prove that was the murder weapon. They are going to prove BM was in possession of that weapon in May 9th which happens to be the day SM was murdered. Did he buy it that day? Can they prove gun shots or bullet holes or other gun forensics in that house? Probably.

But then that charge states that he was no longer in possession of the weapon after March 4th. So what happened at that time? Well, the PP property was sold and BM no longer possessed that property. If the gun was concealed at the property, then when the property was sold, BM ceased to possess it.

The same line of thought applies to count 3. BM tampered with evidence not only on the day SM was murdered (May 9th) but continued to do so right up until he sold the PP home.

I can’t wait to read the AA. I feel pretty confident based on the charges that the short rifle was the murder weapon and it was well hidden at PP until the new owners took over the property and allowed LE to have free reign of the grounds.

I agree with you that those dates are very significant. I do wonder though, if BM would have left a weapon which might have been used to kill Suzanne on the pp property.

Where was the tree that Andy's cadaver dog alerted on? I had a feeling it was at the Puma Path property, but could be misremembering. Image shown at around the 35:15 time stamp in this PE video -

The new charges were filed twice on the court webpage it looks like? Does anyone know if there is a difference in the two documents?
The words “DOMESTIC VIOLENCE” was added to the top, which I understand to be an enhancement to the charges. Enhancements increase the punishment when BM is found GUILTY.

Where was the tree that Andy's cadaver dog alerted on? I had a feeling it was at the Puma Path property, but could be misremembering. Image shown at around the 35:15 time stamp in this PE video -

The tree the dog alerted or showed interest on was not on the Morphew's Puma Path property, it was on another property in Monarch River Estates. On this lot map, it is Lot #4 in Phase 1 and is the portion of that lot that has the building envelope drawn on it (situated across Monarch River Estates Drive from Lot #3).

The Morphew's property was Lot #6 in Phase 3.

https://www.monarchriverestates.org/file/document/881338593/1HjSZll4mBNKzlnA.pdf

(Edited to include Phases and id of Morphew's lot)

Last night Lauren Scharf released more audio from her interview with BM last September. Barry was giving multiple theories as to what could have happened to Suzanne. He even alluded once again to the bike and how all the evidence was gone. (quote and link below)

I have long wondered if along with staging the bike he didn't plant "evidence" on it, and that part of the reason he keeps bringing up the messed up/lossed evidence is because they didn't appreciate all his hard work. Maybe they messed up his (staged) crime scene? Just wondering if anyone else has thought the same? MOO

"How do we know somebody didn’t hit her on her bike and kill her but was on drugs or alcohol and freaked out and panicked and took her. How do we know anything because all the evidence right there is gone, Lauren.”

Chaffee County announces new charges against Barry Morphew | FOX21 News Colorado

I always thought he gave himself away when he said that.

BM allegedly had no idea what had happened to his wife, so how would he know what 'evidence' was at the scene that the police missed - unless he knew what was at the 'scene' because he put it there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay