Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #60 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. I have a question. I have seen previous posts that some AA info may be redacted when it is released. Who makes the request/call on what info is redacted? Thanks in advance.

If those satellites do not provide service, IMO the only remaining way for either of them to be able to communicate from that house reliably would be for each to have a satellite phone.

Something has to connect Suzanne up with her friend and with her sister.
Sometimes in badservice areas I’m able to text sms but not make calls. So I will text if I can’t make or receive calls.

Of course BM’s attorneys will use ever maneuver they can not to release the AA the judge has to be careful in his order to not give a reason for an appeal if guilty verdict. I anticipate it won’t be unsealed.

Good afternoon. I have a question. I have seen previous posts that some AA info may be redacted when it is released. Who makes the request/call on what info is redacted? Thanks in advance.

I'm going to assume the normal things will be redacted, such as first names of minor children and/or names of those who will testify later, DOB, phone numbers, address and other identifiable information. Entirely a guess, but that's the usual stuff we see redacted.

I followed this link, downloaded the Webex app, signed in, and joined, and boom. I was in the courtroom. :eek:

Colorado Judicial Branch

I'm wondering how this works from a desktop computer?
I tried to login but all I got was some prompt about audio and a warning about no video.
I'd like to get this sorted before tomorrow's hearing.
I'm curious, did you login with your phone?

IANAL but the AA’s I’ve seen in most cases I’ve followed typically black out or redact personal information about any witnesses or victims, especially minors, such as phone number, address, date of birth etc. Sometimes names and social security numbers to protect privacy.

Keep in mind that the AA ( arrest affidavit) is the document written up by LE to present to a Judge showing there is probable cause for an arrest warrant to be issued. It won’t contain all the evidence.

The AA for Letecia Stauch is 32 pages. The one for Patrick Frazee was 12 pages and as you can see the only redaction is the name of the victim, KB’s infant daughter.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...lication and Affidavit for Arrest Warrant.pdf

I’m not sure who gets to decide what information can be redacted.
@Seattle1 probably knows much more IMO.

Instructions for joining the 4pm hearing tomorrow provided by Seattle1
Thread 59
Post 909

"At this time, it does not appear that Judge Murphy of Chaffee County is restricting public access to his virtual court hearings. At this time, his instructions do not call for a special passcode to enter."

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #59 *ARREST*

corrected thread # to 59

Last edited:
IANAL but the AA’s I’ve seen in most cases I’ve followed typically black out or redact personal information about any witnesses or victims, especially minors, such as phone number, address, date of birth etc. Sometimes names and social security numbers to protect privacy.

Keep in mind that the AA ( arrest affidavit) is the document written up by LE to present to a Judge showing there is probable cause for an arrest warrant to be issued. It won’t contain all the evidence.

The AA for Letecia Stauch is 32 pages. The one for Patrick Frazee was 12 pages and as you can see the only redaction is the name of the victim, KB’s infant daughter.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/Application and Affidavit for Arrest Warrant.pdf

I’m not sure who gets to decide what information can be redacted.
@Seattle1 probably knows much more IMO.
I am curious also. I assumed the prosecutors office did the redactions and the judge reviews.

Sorry for the long post but this might help some folks understand some telecom concepts with getting too deep into the weeds. :rolleyes: (If anyone wants to discuss the technical stuff further than this post, we should probably start a small group for that purpose so that we don’t derail the thread.)

As I posted a couple of threads back, the Colorado state government’s broadband map suggests the the west end of Puma Path was not served by wired broadband — fiber, cable, or DSL. (See the link and screen cap below.) Assuming their data is up to date, and I believe it is, that leaves wireless broadband — cellular, satellite, and “fixed wireless” for PP.

Public Broadband Map

Based on my 30 years working as a sales engineer for a broadband satellite company that also offered wireline services to enterprises, small businesses, and consumers (and thanks to that helicopter video that someone recently percolated back to the top showing antennas on the garage roof) I suspect Puma Path was probably being served with a combination of satellite and cellular. Satellite for broadband internet access and DTH (direct-to-home) TV, cellular for voice and SMS — “classic” texting between cell phones — both of which tend to work fairly well even when the cellular signal is sub-par.

It’s important to understand that all of these technologies — fiber, cable, DSL, T1, cellular, satellite, and fixed wireless, are nothing more than pipes to move data from Point A to Point B — where Point A is a home or business and Point B is an ISP (Internet Service Provider). The ISP is the connection point to the rest of the Internet and all the service offerings and destinations it contains. It’s the “on-ramp” that connects you to web sites, email services, cloud data storage, streaming audio and video, and obviously so much more. Collectively, people call it all the Internet, the web, or the cloud although there are lots of subtle and not so subtle distinctions, in fact. All of these technologies use a router, a modem, or a combination of the two to allow your devices — phones, PC’s, security cameras, smart TV’s, etc. — to access the data pipe to the ISP.

The term “Wi-Fi” is generally understood to mean something else entirely. Wi-Fi is still a wireless pipe for data but it connects between your wireless-enabled devices and the modem/router at your home or business so that those devices don’t have to be physically wired to the modem/router to access the broadband pipe to the internet. The typical distance limit for this kind of wireless connection about 300 feet.

PP probably had a Wi-Fi network connecting devices around the home and property to a Hughes or ViaSat satellite modem/router. This would give them more than adequate broadband internet access for basic internet activity — email, web browsing, Amazon, etc. Even (to a degree) to things like YouTube and Netflix. But unless you’re a large enterprise, satellite tends to be less friendly (in general) to transmit-intensive things like security video, sending a decent Zoom video from your camera, very large file uploads, etc. There are caps and high costs associated with that kind of traffic for reasons I won’t go into here.

Of course, we can’t know for certain what their set-up looked like given what’s been released so far. So this is purely my conjecture based on experience with sites in similar areas and circumstances. When we see the AA and start to see the SW’s, etc., we’ll have a much better picture.

Rest assured though that no matter the technology or service provider, the log files at both ends of all those devices, connections, and service offerings will paint a telling tale. I predict it won’t be a flattering one.

Oh! And a side note regarding terminology, lol. Those things on the roof are parabolic satellite antennas — more commonly referred to as just “antennas” or “dishes”. They point at different satellites in geostationary orbit and affectionately known within the industry as “birds”. I see one that looks to be for internet and another that looks like it’s for TV. I think there’s a third but I’m not sure what it is. Since the satellite companies own or rent space on different satellites parked at different positions in the sky, many businesses and residences will leave a deactivated dish or two installed . Because if you switch service providers you switch hardware too. Kind of like if you switch cell phone carriers you often need a new phone and may be connecting via different towers than before. It pays to leave the old dish installed and pointed in case you ever want to switch back.

MOO. And apologies again for the length. But now it’s so...simple? :confused:

Attachments

• 218EE241-9E7F-4E6B-9738-0F41D93387E8.jpeg
    218EE241-9E7F-4E6B-9738-0F41D93387E8.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 12
This evening (in 6 hours):

Thanks @swedeheart I’m anxious to hear more from SMs sister, MM. I don’t think she’ll go into a lot more detail though about the message SM sent her the Friday before she disappeared. Speculation: MM’s text from SM could have been the “probable cause” for Puma Path search warrant. Her testimony I’m hoping will be one of the first testimonies in the trial. MOO

Last edited:
Sorry for the long post but this might help some folks understand some telecom concepts with getting too deep into the weeds. :rolleyes: (If anyone wants to discuss the technical stuff further than this post, we should probably start a small group for that purpose so that we don’t derail the thread.)

As I posted a couple of threads back, the Colorado state government’s broadband map suggests the the west end of Puma Path was not served by wired broadband — fiber, cable, or DSL. (See the link and screen cap below.) Assuming their data is up to date, and I believe it is, that leaves wireless broadband — cellular, satellite, and “fixed wireless” for PP.

Public Broadband Map

Based on my 30 years working as a sales engineer for a broadband satellite company that also offered wireline services to enterprises, small businesses, and consumers (and thanks to that helicopter video that someone recently percolated back to the top showing antennas on the garage roof) I suspect Puma Path was probably being served with a combination of satellite and cellular. Satellite for broadband internet access and DTH (direct-to-home) TV, cellular for voice and SMS — “classic” texting between cell phones — both of which tend to work fairly well even when the cellular signal is sub-par.

It’s important to understand that all of these technologies — fiber, cable, DSL, T1, cellular, satellite, and fixed wireless, are nothing more than pipes to move data from Point A to Point B — where Point A is a home or business and Point B is an ISP (Internet Service Provider). The ISP is the connection point to the rest of the Internet and all the service offerings and destinations it contains. It’s the “on-ramp” that connects you to web sites, email services, cloud data storage, streaming audio and video, and obviously so much more. Collectively, people call it all the Internet, the web, or the cloud although there are lots of subtle and not so subtle distinctions, in fact. All of these technologies use a router, a modem, or a combination of the two to allow your devices — phones, PC’s, security cameras, smart TV’s, etc. — to access the data pipe to the ISP.

The term “Wi-Fi” is generally understood to mean something else entirely. Wi-Fi is still a wireless pipe for data but it connects between your wireless-enabled devices and the modem/router at your home or business so that those devices don’t have to be physically wired to the modem/router to access the broadband pipe to the internet. The typical distance limit for this kind of wireless connection about 300 feet.

PP probably had a Wi-Fi network connecting devices around the home and property to a Hughes or ViaSat satellite modem/router. This would give them more than adequate broadband internet access for basic internet activity — email, web browsing, Amazon, etc. Even (to a degree) to things like YouTube and Netflix. But unless you’re a large enterprise, satellite tends to be less friendly (in general) to transmit-intensive things like security video, sending a decent Zoom video from your camera, very large file uploads, etc. There are caps and high costs associated with that kind of traffic for reasons I won’t go into here.

Of course, we can’t know for certain what their set-up looked like given what’s been released so far. So this is purely my conjecture based on experience with sites in similar areas and circumstances. When we see the AA and start to see the SW’s, etc., we’ll have a much better picture.

Rest assured though that no matter the technology or service provider, the log files at both ends of all those devices, connections, and service offerings will paint a telling tale. I predict it won’t be a flattering one.

Oh! And a side note regarding terminology, lol. Those things on the roof are parabolic satellite antennas — more commonly referred to as just “antennas” or “dishes”. They point at different satellites in geostationary orbit and affectionately known within the industry as “birds”. I see one that looks to be for internet and another that looks like it’s for TV. I think there’s a third but I’m not sure what it is. Since the satellite companies own or rent space on different satellites parked at different positions in the sky, many businesses and residences will leave a deactivated dish or two installed . Because if you switch service providers you switch hardware too. Kind of like if you switch cell phone carriers you often need a new phone and may be connecting via different towers than before. It pays to leave the old dish installed and pointed in case you ever want to switch back.

Thank you @24Brix One of the things that makes WS great is the varied backgrounds of each member!

Public Broadband Map

Brilliant. Thank you!

With recent developments of BM’s arrest and the various serious charges filed against him, I’ve been thinking a lot about and praying for Andy and the Moorman family, cannot imagine what they’re going through. It’s all so tragic and heartbreaking.
While we wait, I’ve also been going back through some old interviews and just thought I’d repost this short video in case anyone new hasn’t seen it, or anyone else who’s interested in rewatching. It’s PE-MK & CM interview with Gene (RIP) and Andy Moorman from last August.
It’s only about 11 minutes long, a bit somber due to Gene’s declining health at the time, yet heartwarming to see how much love Gene and Andy have for Suzanne and their desire to do whatever it takes to bring her home.
Notable too, Gene and Andy commenting about their trust in the CBI, FBI, and local Sheriff’s office (CCSO), how hard the LE task force has been working to find Suzanne, and how grateful they and their family are to all LE involved, Mike, Chris, members of the community/public for all the thoughts and prayers, and for helping to keep Suzanne in the spotlight. They are truly sincere and obviously humbled by everyone coming together to support and shine a bright light on their beautiful daughter and little sister.

Meanwhile back at the ranch lol, at around the same time last August, (video reposted in the last thread), BM is barking into reporter Lauren Scharf’s ear during their phone interview criticizing LE, accusing them of messing up all the evidence, that the Sheriff probably crawling under a rock embarrassed about his ineptitude, and accusing the FBI of being liars!
Riiiiggghhhtt, BM was so upset that the Sheriff/CCSO weren’t doing their job/screwing up so much (not), you’d think he would have been camping out/showing up down at CCSO banging on the door demanding answers about what they were doing to find his missing wife, YET when LS asked, BM had no idea that there weren’t any flyers of his missing wife hanging up at the Sheriff’s office (because CCSO knew SM wasn’t “missing”).
I digress.

Even though Andy couldn’t bring Suzanne home to their Dad before he passed away, and the pursuit to find her remains and give her a proper burial still persists, I hope Gene rests a little easier today knowing he was right to trust LE, and knowing that accountability and justice for his beautiful daughter are on the horizon.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I followed this link, downloaded the Webex app, signed in, and joined, and boom. I was in the courtroom. :eek:

Colorado Judicial Branch

I downloaded the app to my phone first. Then I followed Seattle1's directions and boom, like you, I was in the courtroom. I just did this and there was something going on in court, but I didn't stick around.

It's easier than I thought it would be, but that doesn't mean I won't have a problem with it tomorrow. :eek:

I'm wondering how this works from a desktop computer?
I tried to login but all I got was some prompt about audio and a warning about no video.
I'd like to get this sorted before tomorrow's hearing.
I'm curious, did you login with your phone?

I downloaded the app on my phone first, then I followed Seattle1's directions and I was in the courtroom and I could hear what was going on. I followed Seattle's instructions for my laptop.

Last edited:
I downloaded the app to my phone first. Then I followed Seattle1's directions and boom, like you, I was in the courtroom. I just did this and there was something going on in court, but I didn't stick around.

It's easier than I thought it would be, but that doesn't mean I won't have a problem with it tomorrow. :eek:

Holy smokes. I am so glad you just said "tomorrow." I was so excited I thought it was today! Ha! I was planning on staying up late tonight (I'm in Stockholm). Looks like my plan is postponed until tomorrow! See y'all there. I surely hope we don't all overload their system! :p

I downloaded the app on my phone first, then I followed Seattle1's directions and I was in the courtroom and I could hear what was going on.
I was hoping to avoid using my phone for it, but I just tried it the way you suggested and boom, I was in. I have to confess, it sort of creeped me out, lol.

I used to live 45 miles from the PP home and had satellite tv, which worked fine, but had satellite internet and it was the worst. My cell service was also pretty horrible. One of the worst days of my life was getting a call from Africa that my best friend had passed but couldn’t really even hear or communicate what had happened. Anyway from the different reports I have a feeling that the PP has a similar issue, that outside communication is hard and unreliable but to many people the trade off to live in such a beautiful place is worth it. MOO
I can't understand the decision to live there, if I am a business owner (!!) and father of 2 teenage girls and a wife, who is ill with cancer - wonderful mountains or not. For me it doesn't make sense. It even doesn't make sense for me, to have this expensive home for renting it out sometime. These days, who does want to spend their vacation there, if totally isolated at least as far as data exchange is concerned?
I worry, how BM did participate in the dark net, if he ever wanted to use it ..... :eek:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia