Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #63 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt that the Judge went a bit too far when he discussed the girls and residency as I think he provided fodder for exactly what he was saying was an issue regarding victims. I am not a legal expert so I cannot provide an opinion on whether or not we as the public should have access to the AA without significant redactions. I do believe that the length of the AA could be problematic regarding the time it would take to go back and forth on the redaction process with all parties involved. If it had been more succinct, perhaps it would not interfere with BM’s ability to prepare his defense before trial. Once again, I don’t know, but does that matter to the court if his attorneys don’t have the time to deal with lengthy retractions before trial? Whose problem is that?
BBM. This is a good question.

Ultimately, it's the Court's problem. Judge Murphy wants to make the right decision on a matter of critical importance to both parties, needs input from both parties to do that, and acknowledges that it will take a couple of months for the parties to do that, given their other professional obligations in the very early stages of the proceedings.

I felt that the Judge went a bit too far when he discussed the girls and residency as I think he provided fodder for exactly what he was saying was an issue regarding victims. I am not a legal expert so I cannot provide an opinion on whether or not we as the public should have access to the AA without significant redactions. I do believe that the length of the AA could be problematic regarding the time it would take to go back and forth on the redaction process with all parties involved. If it had been more succinct, perhaps it would not interfere with BM’s ability to prepare his defense before trial. Once again, I don’t know, but does that matter to the court if his attorneys don’t have the time to deal with lengthy retractions before trial? Whose problem is that?

IMO it will only take his attorneys a couple of days to actually sit down and redact the AA. Going back and forth with the state and the Court over any disagreements about the scope of the redactions is what would take a long time in calendar days. You need to set conferences when everyone is free, you exchange drafts, you make your case about your redactions. If the parties cannot agree, they'd make a motion to ask the Court to weigh in. So IMO it's not necessarily taking hours away from his defense but just realistically how long it will take everyone to agree.

IMO it will only take his attorneys a couple of days to actually sit down and redact the AA. Going back and forth with the state and the Court over any disagreements about the scope of the redactions is what would take a long time in calendar days. You need to set conferences when everyone is free, you exchange drafts, you make your case about your redactions. If the parties cannot agree, they'd make a motion to ask the Court to weigh in. So IMO it's not necessarily taking hours away from his defense but just realistically how long it will take everyone to agree.
Do you think they are working on the document edits now knowing that someday it might be released? I would think they would be...the prosecutors to hone their case knowing full well there will be "stuff" that is not admitted and to tighten up their case for the preliminary and the defense simply because they know what they don't want in it. I'm on the side of it's not as important to me when it gets released if he's bound over for trial. IF he's not bound over for trial it might never be released...who knows.

Do you think they are working on the document edits now knowing that someday it might be released? I would think they would be...the prosecutors to hone their case knowing full well there will be "stuff" that is not admitted and to tighten up their case for the preliminary and the defense simply because they know what they don't want in it. I'm on the side of it's not as important to me when it gets released if he's bound over for trial. IF he's not bound over for trial it might never be released...who knows.

I am sure they are. Their job is to ensure he gets a fair trial and the state respects all of the various constitutional protections awarded to defendants. Anything they consider unduly prejudicial they will ask to redact.

I know the public wants the AA because it tells the story of the state's case right now. But legally it is immaterial - the judge signed the arrest warrant and he was arrested. The story it told is not admissible for anything else. Usually this is a procedural thing that does not play a big role in any given case. So it is a little odd here in how it was used and now the fallout of trying to redact it.

It could be that Suzanne was considering a future career for herself, especially if she was thinking about a divorce. She had teaching experience as well as volunteer work. Didn't Melinda or maybe her brother say that she had spent a lot of time volunteering in a specific place? Not her church, but somewhere else?

Anyway, it gave me the impression she had a passion for helping others and could have easily made a career out of it.

Yes ... I can't imagine Suzanne being a LinkedIn member unless she was planning to work, or having serious thoughts about it. Perhaps investigating her options, building herself up to hit the work front.

And volunteer work can be a stepping stone to paid employment. It is a good thing to show on your resume, especially if it is in a field that is related to what you would like to do in the future (positions you may apply for).
And you can sometimes make contacts via your volunteer work that can lead to paid work in that field.
Volunteer work can also give a person confidence in their own abilities.

Last edited:
I am sure they are. Their job is to ensure he gets a fair trial and the state respects all of the various constitutional protections awarded to defendants. Anything they consider unduly prejudicial they will ask to redact.

I know the public wants the AA because it tells the story of the state's case right now. But legally it is immaterial - the judge signed the arrest warrant and he was arrested. The story it told is not admissible for anything else. Usually this is a procedural thing that does not play a big role in any given case. So it is a little odd here in how it was used and now the fallout of trying to redact it.
BBM - Questions for you:

(1) How is it "legally immaterial"? Are only the proceedings to come in August "legally material"?

(2) Why is the story it told not admissible for anything else? Will the evidence at trial, if cited in the AA, lack verity if not supported by more proof at trial?

(3) Why is the AA "odd here in how it was used"?

I find calling it simply procedural an all to convenient way to tell his fellow citizens it is none of their business until he is bound over for trial. I don't believe the hard work by the CO judiciary to enact Rule 55.1 supports that.

Am I wrong that you have used a broad brush which concludes that hiding the finer details from the public must be done in the interest of "justice"?

Are you not - like the judge - making the rights of the defendant preeminent over all other rights (including the victims & witnesses) by using a phrase such as "legally immaterial"?

There are trees (citizens) in this forest (legal system). Protecting the forest does not necessarily preserve the rights of trees.
TIA - JMO

Yes ... I can't imagine Suzanne being a LinkedIn member unless she was planning to work, or having serious thoughts about it. Perhaps investigating her options, building herself up to hit the work front.

And volunteer work can be a stepping stone to paid employment. It is a good thing to show on your resume, especially if it is in a field that is related to what you would like to do in the future (positions you may apply for).
And you can sometimes make contacts via your volunteer work that can lead to paid work in that field.
I agree. I think SM was making plans for a new, different future. Living with an abusive narcissist (which I think BM is) for half your life, some people will finally wake up. I think moving to CO and being isolated to a degree, while battling this last round of cancer really gave her pause to evaluate her future should she beat the cancer again. BM wasn’t supportive of her during this last bout with cancer, though the daughters were. But they have their own lives. And when you’re home at night or on the weekends when that narcissist is around and no one else, it’s dead silence, walking on eggshells, nasty, demeaning comments from him in his sick need to pump his own ego. I can see SM wanting to do work in the area of supporting women as a life coach or something along those lines. She would have been great. Sad she isn’t around to be of help to people.
Justice for Suzanne can’t come soon enough……
MOO

I found and posted SM's Linkedin profile. I didn't see a clear indication she was working toward a personal trainer career. If you do find that, i'd love to see it. Thank you!

I don't know what you mean by "working." The students I know who head toward that goal start with a LinkedIn and participating in various activities that bring them closer to that goal. "Working" implies pay, to me (or college units).

Almost no one here in California who is a "life coach" has a degree in anything like "life coaching" but the bulletin boards have lots of business cards, and people do get clients. Many of them find clients in various organizations or businesses (coffee shops, churches, LinkedIn, Facebook).

"Personal trainer" is a very broad category. "Life coach" is a subcategory of that, IMO. People who can't afford therapists or groups led by therapists go to groups led by "life coaches" (often in teams).

Putting up a LinkedIn is, IMO, the first step toward a freelance career, a consulting career - or a job different than the one you have right now (rare...because your employers find it and are not happy). But if you get fired from that same job, then you activate it.

I don't think you can see "clear indications" of someone's future plans. But it's clear that Suzanne knew what a "life coach" was, was exploring the waters around that term, and included some aspects of "health/fitness" in her interests. People who are charming and successful at whatever it is that the hiring party wants to achieve (fitness, thinness, skincare, family harmony - you name it) can use LinkedIn to get started (but local bulletin boards and coffee shops are still the main way it's done).

I don't live in Salida, so I would never weigh in on whether or not Suzanne was "working" toward a particular life coach goal. But IME, the people who do this are able to "pivot" and do this as only one of the things they are doing...

I don't know what you mean by "working." The students I know who head toward that goal start with a LinkedIn and participating in various activities that bring them closer to that goal. "Working" implies pay, to me (or college units).
RSBM
I mean working toward achieving something, personal or professional. Possibly classes or attending seminars etc. Sometimes Linkedin offers a "professional goal" section but I didn't see that on her page.

My comment meant it was not evident she was pursuing specific goals. She shows interest but the goal was not clear.

I think SM was training to be a personal coach or trainer. She may have been trying to establish a career to set up a new independent life.

That's exactly how the last words they shared I'm sure. He probably tried to say he was there for her while she was sick. Failing to realize he isolated her and the girls from ever living. I think that's what he does to his girls now saying how could anyone think he would do that you know how much I loved her. Failing to take any accountability for isolating them and putting their finances in ruin.

I hope in the very least he killed her from behind because I can't stand the thought of her having to know the guy she loved was killed her. He didn't deserve her.

Last edited:
I agree. I think SM was making plans for a new, different future. Living with an abusive narcissist (which I think BM is) for half your life, some people will finally wake up. I think moving to CO and being isolated to a degree, while battling this last round of cancer really gave her pause to evaluate her future should she beat the cancer again. BM wasn’t supportive of her during this last bout with cancer, though the daughters were. But they have their own lives. And when you’re home at night or on the weekends when that narcissist is around and no one else, it’s dead silence, walking on eggshells, nasty, demeaning comments from him in his sick need to pump his own ego. I can see SM wanting to do work in the area of supporting women as a life coach or something along those lines. She would have been great. Sad she isn’t around to be of help to people.
Justice for Suzanne can’t come soon enough……
MOO
Soo beautifully expressed @Error505
Such a crying shame. :( :(

BBM - Questions for you:

(1) How is it "legally immaterial"? Are only the proceedings to come in August "legally material"?

(2) Why is the story it told not admissible for anything else? Will the evidence at trial, if cited in the AA, lack verity if not supported by more proof at trial?

I find calling it simply procedural an all to convenient way to tell his fellow citizens it is none of their business until he is bound over for trial. I don't believe the hard work by the CO judiciary to enact Rule 55.1 supports that.

Am I wrong that you have used a broad brush which concludes that hiding the finer details from the public must be done in the interest of "justice"?

Are you not - like the judge - making the rights of the defendant preeminent over all other rights (including the victims & witnesses) by using a phrase such as "legally immaterial"?

There are trees (citizens) in this forest (legal system). Protecting the forest does not necessarily preserve the rights of trees.
TIA - JMO
But but, the rights of the defendant are pre-eminent.
BBM - Questions for you:

TIA - JMO
I think what's being said is the AA was used for a judge to sign off on an arrest warrant and that was its sole purpose. Some information in that arrest warrant has value during the next steps of the proceeding but it's sole value as a document was to obtain the arrest warrant. The next step the prosecution must present their case in order to get Barry bound over for trial. Not everything in the arrest warrant is legally admissible for the purposes of those hearings and/or a trial so the judge understood that for public consumption it needed to be cleaned up. I don't disagree that the public isn't entitled to the facts, but they also aren't necessarily entitled to the whole file and especially if there is information potentially harmful and not relevant to the case for victims, witnesses and the accused...that information is legally immaterial. Think about it like your medical information. Years ago doctors used to write all kinds of "stuff" about you in their notes - observations and things that weren't necessarily medically relevant. Personal privacy laws were passed and physicians curtailed that sort of commentary and your records are relatively "sealed" from access unless deemed medically necessary by the particular person who desires to see it or you give permissions. The world is getting MORE tightened around legal rights and privacy than loosened and the courts understand this. "Legally material" is more important and not less important in today's world in my opinion.

So to your second question, information not admissible will not be used at trial. Perhaps the AA is "odd" as many lawyers have pointed out because it was so lengthy and because it contained information not necessarily needed or useable to meet the need....there was "enough" in there to sign off on the arrest warrant and a whole lot that was not relevant. Making the call to sign an arrest warrant is just part of a judge's job. Judges know that the alleged defendant will get their day in court where a case will either go forth or be dismissed so generally would tilt toward the prosecution's request while maintaining a defendant's presumption of innocence. The judge did not push the requested warrant back and say "you have no case." It was signed.

And in my opinion the rights of the defendant are preeminent because of the presumption of innocence always in any case not just this one. One only needs to look at history and yesterday's headlines to understand that if a trial is not fair within legal guidelines, the chances of being overturned exist. Read up on 404b evidence...for a layperson like me, it's a slippery slope to depend too heavily on it. I personally was left with the distinct impression from the judge's motion to seal that there might have been a fair amount of 404b evidence...but I'm guessing just like everyone. I truly believe this judge wants to run a very, very clean trial and I respect him for that. No judge wants their decisions over turned. No prosecutor wants their trial over turned, no victim wants to feel like the courts failed them and no defense attorney wants their client to have to sit in prison waiting for an appeal.

I don't begrudge the media consortium spending the money to appeal and through appeals laws and statutes are shaped. They have financial interest in how this new law is applied in real life. But I also think the judge did a very good job of pointing out the weaknesses of releasing the document, the amount of time it would take to clean it up and he established a review date so I'm not seeing where he did not comply with the intent of the law as it existed last month.

Here's a pretty easy to understand primer on 404 evidence: Rule 404. Character Evidence; Other Crimes, Wrongs, or Acts

Last edited:
I’ll take a heavily redacted AA, at any point. It sounds as if the redactions are probably being worked on regardless of the current decision. Sooner or later Barry’s truth will come out.

That's exactly how the last words they shared I'm sure. He probably tried to say he was there for her while she was sick. Failing to realize he isolated her and the girls from ever living. I think that's what he does to his girls now saying how could anyone think he would do that you know how much I loved her. Failing to take any accountability for isolating them and putting their finances in ruin.

I hope in the very least he killed her from behind because I can't stand the thought of her having to know the guy she loved was killed her. He didn't deserve her.
His girls will have to be in denial or completely blind not to see that his actions clearly showed something opposite of concern and love for his missing wife. Selling all of her worldly possessions and moving on to a girlfriend so quickly hardly show love or concern.

It shows, to me, that he knew that his wife was gone for good. She wasn't just "missing." His behavior tells it all. It reminds me of the way that Scott Peterson acted when his wife went "missing." We all know how that ended.

JMO.

His girls will have to be in denial or completely blind not to see that his actions clearly showed something opposite of concern and love for his missing wife. Selling all of her worldly possessions and moving on to a girlfriend so quickly hardly show love or concern.

It shows, to me, that he knew that his wife was gone for good. She wasn't just "missing." His behavior tells it all. It reminds me of the way that Scott Peterson acted when his wife went "missing." We all know how that ended.

JMO.
I think after a half a year or so everyone who was aware of the case assumed she was not "missing" or left of her own volition. And yeah, Scott Peterson just might get a new trial due to several factors which just unscores the judge's responsibility for running a fair trial.
Scott Peterson's lawyers ask for a new trial, citing juror misconduct

BBM - Questions for you:

TIA - JMO
I hope our “verified attorney” @Alethea responds to your Q’s. Anxious to read the response. Excellent questions from you btw! MOO

BBM - Questions for you:

TIA - JMO

I understand that you do not like or approve of how the legal system works in the United States. I understand that you're projecting your personal feelings on my answers that are based on the procedural rules that everyone involved in this system has to follow. I am not going to respond to badgering or condescending questions or comments that imply that I have some agenda when I am simply answering procedural questions about how this actually works in the real world as a practicing litigator.

True crime has become a vibrant hobby for many people, including everyone on this website. But it does not control the system that decides whether people live or die, whether they are incarcerated or not.

Legal proceedings are governed by the federal and state Constitutions and the rules of criminal procedure in each state. Every state has a criminal code and rules of criminal procedure. Those statutes determine how a criminal proceeding progresses and what must be done to introduce evidence at trial.

1) Defendants are tried in open Court before a jury of their peers. Only evidence that is deemed admissible under the state rules of evidence can be introduced. Everything that is introduced must be substantiated and authenticated by a person qualified to introduce the evidence. Only in opening and closing statements can prosecutors or defense attorneys pontificate or give their theories of the case. Everything else is based on introducing or challenging admissible evidence. Evidence is a fact introduced to prove the truth of matter asserted. It must be relevant to the fact at issue and admissible.

At the end of the trial, jurors are instructed to go through the list of questions in the jury questionnaire and render their decisions only based on the evidence that is introduced as evidence in Court. They are explicitly instructed to not consider extraneous information they may have heard before or outside of trial. They could not consider what they read in the arrest affidavit a year before the trial. The arrest affidavit is literally irrelevant unless and until it is introduced as evidence in trial.

Before trial, both sides are able to file motions in limine to exclude evidence or testimony. The defense is able to file motions to suppress to exclude testimony or evidence that may have been collected in violation of the defendant's Constitutional rights. There are motions to qualify experts and Daubert motions to disqualify experts or certain scientific testimony.

Each piece of evidence will be introduced individually by the person who can authenticate the evidence. If we are discussing the defendant's phone records, a representative from the phone company will be called to the stand to authenticate the phone records. A detective who read the phone records will then testify as to what they say and why they find them important. The defense will have an opportunity to question the detective.

There is literally an entire statutory process that outlines how to determine what is relevant and admissible to prove the claims asserted.

2) It's not admissible because it's not evidence. I'm not here to teach a law school class. You can purchase a book on the Federal Rules of Evidence and learn what constitutes evidence on your own time.

3) A 150+ page arrest affidavit is odd because you don't normally need a novel to get a person arrested. Most arrest affidavits are 1-2 pages. In very complicated cases they can be 20-30 pages. All you need to arrest someone is probable cause that a crime was committed. You are not proving guilt or innocence. You are asking a judge for permission to restrict the person's liberty. It is up to the judge to grant or deny the request. Defendants can challenge the validity of arrest or information contained in the AA, but it is not evidence. It is the state's argument and interpretation. It is not subject to the rules of evidence because it is not evidence.

A typical arrest affidavit: "I pulled over the driver for not signaling before changing lanes. When the driver rolled down his window, I smelled marijuana. I asked the driver for permission to search the car. When I looked in the passenger window, I saw a bag that looked to me like marijuana."

Or "I responded to a call at XYZ ABC Street. Wife reports that her husband attacked her. The door is broken in and the wife has a black eye. Neighbor saw husband storm out and drive away minutes prior to the 911 call. Based on this testimony and what officers observed at the scene, we have probable cause to arrest the husband for assault, domestic violence."

I really have to ask: who benefits from releasing the arrest affidavit? Just nosy people overly involved in true crime. It doesn't benefit the victim, who was murdered, as it can jeopardize the state's case and give the defense an argument that the state's ex parte pontificating is poisoning the jury pool. It doesn't benefit the victim's children, who the judge already ruled could be harmed by the pretrial publicity. It doesn't benefit the state in that it will give the defense a way to challenge any changes in the state's case - why would you want to be tied to a document you drafted before actually having all of the evidence?

Sunshine laws are meant to hold the government accountable, not provide fodder for gossip. Public servants who attempt to use public access laws to circumvent Constitutional protections are just as bad as the gossips.

People are treating a very serious crime like a game. Like their personal novella. I have represented many victims and I have never seen a victim want their life exploited for the financial gain of true crime writers and Facebook gossip groups.

Victims want justice. And that means a conviction at trial that results in a serious sentence.

I think after a half a year or so everyone who was aware of the case assumed she was not "missing" or left of her own volition. And yeah, Scott Peterson just might get a new trial due to several factors which just unscores the judge's responsibility for running a fair trial.
Scott Peterson's lawyers ask for a new trial, citing juror misconduct
I feel certain that common sense will dictate the outcome of this trial as well as one for Scott Peterson (if he is successful in his new trial bid). Scott Peterson is guilty. Did you follow that case? There are so much evidence pointing to him that it beyond reasonable doubt. My opinion.

My opinion is the same for good, old Barry. I hardly think that anyone believes that Suzanne took off leaving her millions behind and standing up her BFF's daughter's wedding. Time will tell, though.

I guess that Suzanne could have just taken a bikini and joined Stacy Peterson in the Bahamas. It is likely they both are swimming with the fishes, just not in a good way, though.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members