Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #63 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did barry have his own bike? I always suspected that he bought that bike so he could say she died accidentally he specifically told MG he was going to make the wife happy by hiking or biking but it's never been clear if that's something they did together or if it was just her hobby.

He might have had biking on his mind because he told MG he was going to make the wife happy by hiking or biking. I thought he could have caused Suzanne to have an 'accident'. He could have had his own bike. Why buy a pink bike? Makes no sense to me so I hope something about it comes out in the trial.

There isn't any chance of him bonding out, is there? He needs to stay right where he is forever, in a cage.
I don’t see him being released on bond. I think DA Stanley was fearful he was leaving the area, maybe the country. He has sold all real property, has zero ties to the area other than daughters. He’s an extreme flight risk, imo

Agree, I think MG met with CBI Wednesday. I think CBI was anxious to talk to BM’s workers. JP also retrieved the piece of mail from the trash and turned it over to investigators. I’m sure JP told LE what he told Daily Mail and LS, the room reeked of chlorine and he felt like he was part of an “alibi” setup by BM. MOO

I thoroughly agree with you.

BM said it was a crime scene. Freudian slip?

If Suzanne told him she wanted a divorce, he probably would have made her feel guilty, reminding her of 'all the things' he did for her and how unappreciated he is. I think he would have done his best to destroy her confidence and make her feel like she wouldn't be able to make it on her own. In the end, that's exactly what he did. She never had a chance. Imo

I think SM was training to be a personal coach or trainer. She may have been trying to establish a career to set up a new independent life.

I think we're all aware that would be a federal case. There's no reason why federal and state charges can't be made simultaneously, is there?
@marylamby Thx for your post. Not saying there's not simultaneous jurisdiction in fed & st courts for this alleged loan fraud.
Like the post said, w BM current charges, DA's dance card is probably full already. Could be wrong, my2ct.

In a June 9, 2021 thread here, it was mentioned as part of her LinkedIn profile, which I am no longer able to find on the LinkedIn website.

BOOM! Fascinating! I found it and although I cannot see her aspirations of becoming a coach, she does follow all things fitness related. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction IRBHTX.

Interestingly, in looking at the items she "loves" is the book "Trust First", "The art of Giving Second Chances".

https://www.linkedin.com/in/suzanne-m-15aa77172/detail/recent-activity/
EBM for clarity.

Last edited:
@marylamby Thx for your post. Not saying there's not simultaneous jurisdiction in fed & st courts for this alleged loan fraud.
Like the post said, w BM current charges, DA's dance card is probably full already. Could be wrong, my2ct.
Of course his dance card is full, lol. I loved your comment!
I was just thinking that if something REALLY sick happens with the murder case (and even if he's convicted), I'd like to see further investigations into his scurvy life.
Federal tax fraud, state tax fraud and any shady dealings.
I don't see BM taking a guilty verdict lying down. He'll appeal, if he has the money or some lawyer wants to make a name for themselves. I'm just hedging my bets. :D
ETA: IMO :p

In a June 9, 2021 thread here, it was mentioned as part of her LinkedIn profile, which I am no longer able to find on the LinkedIn website.
I saw that and knew what you were referring to. We know she didn't take down her linkedin account.
eta: so it's still there. I think we also heard about her reaching out to some sort of support group but I'm not sure if that's been verified.

I've been looking at Suzanne's LinkedIn profile. From what I can see, she doesn't actually say she was training to be a personal trainer. She has 'liked' a LinkedIn post about a personal trainer in Minneapolis.

She has also 'liked' a lot of other things .. how to become productive at work; City of Colorado Springs hiring a Strategic Plan Analyst; a post about The Happiest Person on the Plane; a book called Trust First; a piece about Being Your True Self; a piece about It is Never Too Late to Find Your True Purpose; a piece from the Colorado Springs Business Journal about a young chef; a clinical mental health piece; a piece about How Successful People Handle Toxic People; and several things about holistic healing, healthy foods, electrolytes.

To me, they are the kind of things that a person looks at when they are looking outside themselves for ways to lift themselves up.

Last edited:
I've been looking at Suzanne's LinkedIn profile. From what I can see, she doesn't actually say she was training to be a personal trainer. She has 'liked' a LinkedIn post by a personal trainer in Minneapolis.

She has also 'liked' a lot of other things .. how to become productive at work; City of Colorado Springs hiring a Strategic Plan Analyst; a post about The Happiest Person on the Plane; a book called Trust First; a piece about Being Your True Self; a piece about It is Never Too Late to Find Your True Purpose; a piece from the Colorado Springs Business Journal about a young chef; a clinical mental health piece; a piece about How Successful People Handle Toxic People; and several things about holistic healing, healthy foods, electrolytes.

To me, they are the kind of things that a person looks at when they are looking outside themselves for ways to lift themselves up.
I have a personal rule about LinkedIn so I’m not signing in to look at Suzanne’s profile. I love socmedia but they have creepy settings. Can you tell how long ago she has been a member? When she liked the things she liked? Timing of activity is helpful in getting a portrayal. I find LinkedIn to be an odd one. If you’re working, sure. SAHMs that have LinkedIn profiles seem odd-but that is purely my opinion. What’s the purpose? I am just trying to understand why Suzanne would create a profile and would appreciate it if someone can give me an explanation that would make me understand.

I have a personal rule about LinkedIn so I’m not signing into to look at Suzanne’s profile. I love socmedia but they have creepy settings. Can you tell how long ago she has been a member? When she liked the things she liked? Timing of activity is helpful in getting a portrayal. I find LinkedIn to be an odd one. If you’re working, sure. SAHMs that have LinkedIn profiles seem odd-but that is purely my opinion. What’s the purpose? I am just trying to understand why Suzanne would create a profile and would appreciate it if someone can give me an explanation that would make me understand.

To my way of thinking, LinkedIn is purely focused on linking people to careers, professional employment opportunities ... and enhances their site by offering positive items, such as how to stay healthy, both mentally and physically. And how to cope with the personalities in that world.

For example, the post that Suzanne liked about a personal trainer was giving the personal trainer accolades for building her business and expanding her client base.
And the post she liked about How Successful People Handle Toxic People is self evident in its title.

When reviewing resumes, an employer can go to LinkedIn to get more info about a person - if that person is a LinkedIn member. And an employer can go to LinkedIn and review people in specific industry sectors if they are looking for people to headhunt for their own business.

Employers can also advertise vacant positions on LinkedIn, and members can receive alerts about vacant positions in specific industry sectors by ticking certain boxes within their profile settings.

I can't tell when she liked those articles. Just that they are listed under All Activity.
The personal trainer post was from '1 year' ago. Other posts are from '2 years' ago. Not all of the articles are dated.

Last edited:
I've been looking at Suzanne's LinkedIn profile. From what I can see, she doesn't actually say she was training to be a personal trainer. She has 'liked' a LinkedIn post about a personal trainer in Minneapolis.

It could be that Suzanne was considering a future career for herself, especially if she was thinking about a divorce. She had teaching experience as well as volunteer work. Didn't Melinda or maybe her brother say that she had spent a lot of time volunteering in a specific place? Not her church, but somewhere else?

Anyway, it gave me the impression she had a passion for helping others and could have easily made a career out of it.

I have a personal rule about LinkedIn so I’m not signing in to look at Suzanne’s profile. I love socmedia but they have creepy settings. Can you tell how long ago she has been a member? When she liked the things she liked? Timing of activity is helpful in getting a portrayal. I find LinkedIn to be an odd one. If you’re working, sure. SAHMs that have LinkedIn profiles seem odd-but that is purely my opinion. What’s the purpose? I am just trying to understand why Suzanne would create a profile and would appreciate it if someone can give me an explanation that would make me understand.

LinkedIn now offers publishing for members. I have friends and colleagues who write short posts/articles on LinkedIn and then link to them elsewhere- so I'll get a message, "Hey, I'd appreciate it if you checked out my new article on LinkedIn!" with a link. I could see many people without specific career needs joining to support their family and friends who may be writing or publishing articles on the site.

I wonder whether the girls' camping trip was orchestrated by BM and he told them he and SM needed time alone to address relationship issues.
One of the million $$$ questions. I think it's more than a coincidence they just so happened to be away on Mothers Day weekend during the pandemic height.

MOO

My interest lies in what BM did with the money, or any disagreements it may have caused in the marriage.

For example, if they had pressing debts that needed immediate payment. Could they have argued about this kind of thing, and at the time of Suzanne's disappearance? What to do with the money.

There are hints from Suzanne's sister that there were financial issues. Maybe Suzanne was an (additional) PIA to BM because she tried hard to get on top of their debts with whatever money they had.
I've always thought Ole' BM has been blurring the line of criminal actions for a loooooong time. Perhaps it finally proved to much stress/heartache for Suzanne to continue living under.

MOO

The question of the public's right to have access to the AA before the preliminary hearing keeps coming up, and the argument seems to be that the presumption of openness stated in CRCP Rule 55.1 is absolute or nearly so, and the judge is willfully and nefariously denying the public information it should know. This is utter nonsense.

Rule 55.1 provides that a judge can limit public access to a court record if he specifically identifies one or more substantial interests that would be served by doing so, that those interests override the presumption of openness, and that there is no less restrictive means to protect those interests than limiting access. That's what Judge Murphy did. Each of his findings is subject to challenge by the media, and the media have made their arguments.

But these are arguments about a new rule, not Gospel Truth. I find deplorable the court-bashing that sometimes accompanies the arguments of our advocates for openness.

The focus of our discussion seems to be criticism of Judge Murphy's finding that protection of the rights of the Morphew children: (1) to be treated with fairness, respect, and dignity as statutory victims of crime; and (2) to be protected from harassment, abuse or intimidation. I tend to agree with this criticism. If this were the only substantial interest at stake I would join the chorus demanding that he change his order now. This would be even more compelling if the children have already left Salida and taken advantage if the time the judge has given them to process what they have heard, decide how they will move forward, and protect themselves from the cruelty of abusive people. I can only hope that they have reached out to the people who love them, where I know they will receive a tremendous response.

But this is only one of the judge's findings, and to me his other findings are far more likely to be upheld if the media appeals his ruling.

Judge Murphy found that a significant portion of the information in the AA was not relevant to his finding of probable cause for arrest, and was possibly not even admissible in evidence at trial. He found that release of this information prior to input on redaction from the parties and prior to the defense beginning their investigation could hamper BM's ability effectively to prepare his defense. He found that no less restrictive means exists because he and the parties would need a reasonable amount of time to complete the redaction process, which he found to be "critical". A period of two months was was necessary for that purpose due to the length of the affidavit, the fact that he could not meaningfully complete the redaction process without input from the parties, and that the parties were also engaged in other activities that are essential in the early stages of a case. Judge Murphy found that these considerations override the public's presumptive access "CURRENTLY." (Given the judge's focus on completing a discrete task that he expects to be completed, and his finding that protecting BM's right to a fair process overrides the public's right to access only temporarily, I am a certain as I can be that we will see a redacted affidavit when the current order expires.)

Judge Murphy thus made all the findings the Rule requires, empowering him to limit access to the AA until after the preliminary hearing. He cited judicial precedent supporting his ruling. Rule 55.1 does not require more of him. Nonetheless, he went further: he spelled out his reasoning as to why the media's legal argument was flawed.

The judge's rationale for limiting access may be familiar, but Rule 55.1 on its face does not invalidate any of the reasons courts and parties previously offered for limiting access. It only gives the public the right to have access, or to know the reason why access is denied.

Future decisions will, no doubt, decide whether any given reason involves "substantial interests" that "override" the presumption of openness, and if so whether there are "less restrictive means" available to protect them. But such precedents do not exist today. Pretending otherwise in an effort to paint Judge Murphy's decision as absolutely wrong, or to portray him as a bad actor, is irresponsible IMO.

I want to see the AA as much as anyone, but to me, gaining access before the prelim is less important than protecting BM's right to a fair process - thus preventing the creation of a viable basis to appeal what I hope will be the inevitable conviction.

All MOO, of course.

The question of the public's right to have access to the AA before the preliminary hearing keeps coming up, and the argument seems to be that the presumption of openness stated in CRCP Rule 55.1 is absolute or nearly so, and the judge is willfully and nefariously denying the public information it should know. This is utter nonsense.

Rule 55.1 provides that a judge can limit public access to a court record if he specifically identifies one or more substantial interests that would be served by doing so, that those interests override the presumption of openness, and that there is no less restrictive means to protect those interests than limiting access. That's what Judge Murphy did. Each of his findings is subject to challenge by the media, and the media have made their arguments.

But these are arguments about a new rule, not Gospel Truth. I find deplorable the court-bashing that sometimes accompanies the arguments of our advocates for openness.

The focus of our discussion seems to be criticism of Judge Murphy's finding that protection of the rights of the Morphew children: (1) to be treated with fairness, respect, and dignity as statutory victims of crime; and (2) to be protected from harassment, abuse or intimidation. I tend to agree with this criticism. If this were the only substantial interest at stake I would join the chorus demanding that he change his order now. This would be even more compelling if the children have already left Salida and taken advantage if the time the judge has given them to process what they have heard, decide how they will move forward, and protect themselves from the cruelty of abusive people. I can only hope that they have reached out to the people who love them, where I know they will receive a tremendous response.

But this is only one of the judge's findings, and to me his other findings are far more likely to be upheld if the media appeals his ruling.

Judge Murphy found that a significant portion of the information in the AA was not relevant to his finding of probable cause for arrest, and was possibly not even admissible in evidence at trial. He found that release of this information prior to input on redaction from the parties and prior to the defense beginning their investigation could hamper BM's ability effectively to prepare his defense. He found that no less restrictive means exists because he and the parties would need a reasonable amount of time to complete the redaction process, which he found to be "critical". A period of two months was was necessary for that purpose due to the length of the affidavit, the fact that he could not meaningfully complete the redaction process without input from the parties, and that the parties were also engaged in other activities that are essential in the early stages of a case. Judge Murphy found that these considerations override the public's presumptive access "CURRENTLY." (Given the judge's focus on completing a discrete task that he expects to be completed, and his finding that protecting BM's right to a fair process overrides the public's right to access only temporarily, I am a certain as I can be that we will see a redacted affidavit when the current order expires.)

Judge Murphy thus made all the findings the Rule requires, empowering him to limit access to the AA until after the preliminary hearing. He cited judicial precedent supporting his ruling. Rule 55.1 does not require more of him. Nonetheless, he went further: he spelled out his reasoning as to why the media's legal argument was flawed.

The judge's rationale for limiting access may be familiar, but Rule 55.1 on its face does not invalidate any of the reasons courts and parties previously offered for limiting access. It only gives the public the right to have access, or to know the reason why access is denied.

Future decisions will, no doubt, decide whether any given reason involves "substantial interests" that "override" the presumption of openness, and if so whether there are "less restrictive means" available to protect them. But such precedents do not exist today. Pretending otherwise in an effort to paint Judge Murphy's decision as absolutely wrong, or to portray him as a bad actor, is irresponsible IMO.

I want to see the AA as much as anyone, but to me, gaining access before the prelim is less important than protecting BM's right to a fair process - thus preventing the creation of a viable basis to appeal what I hope will be the inevitable conviction.

All MOO, of course.
I felt that the Judge went a bit too far when he discussed the girls and residency as I think he provided fodder for exactly what he was saying was an issue regarding victims. I am not a legal expert so I cannot provide an opinion on whether or not we as the public should have access to the AA without significant redactions. I do believe that the length of the AA could be problematic regarding the time it would take to go back and forth on the redaction process with all parties involved. If it had been more succinct, perhaps it would not interfere with BM’s ability to prepare his defense before trial. Once again, I don’t know, but does that matter to the court if his attorneys don’t have the time to deal with lengthy retractions before trial? Whose problem is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay