Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For once, this time difference between the UK and the US will work in my favor and I'll be able to follow along live.

Is there any way BM could request he attend via video link, like the last hearing? Given his history of not wanting to appear on camera, I could see him opting out if he could. Could he use Covid as an excuse?

I was curious what the setup will look like for the WebEx viewing at the Chaffee County Fairgrounds. (I was picturing bleachers and an inflatable Jumbotron!)

But the KKTV article says the court will livestream the proceedings into the main hall at the fairgrounds. The Fairground website has links for event layouts in the hall.

Here is a link to the theater setup, and it shows a pull-down projection screen. https://www.chaffeecounty.org/EndUserFiles/63506.pdf

I see that there is seating for 385 people in the fairgrounds hall. The judge is definitely keeping the viewing size down to what might otherwise (pre-covid) be allowed in a large courtroom.

For once, this time difference between the UK and the US will work in my favor and I'll be able to follow along live.

Is there any way BM could request he attend via video link, like the last hearing? Given his history of not wanting to appear on camera, I could see him opting out if he could. Could he use Covid as an excuse?
Don't think so.....I believe the judge made him an offer he can't refuse....

Does anyone else find it odd that the Moorman siblings and the Morphew daughters are going to be watching the proceedings on webex? I definitely would have thought a few of them would be in the courthouse because they were going to be called as witnesses. So, is this order by the court telling us that none of what they could testify to is needed to prove that BM should be bound over for trial? At the very least, I would have expected that Melinda would be called for the preliminary hearing. Am I misunderstanding something?

Also as a side note, the order explicitly states that the Moorman family has not seen the AA due to the suppression order and they are unaware of the facts of the case but goes on to say "similarly" the Morphew daughters would be allowed to view via webex if they choose to... why are the 2 sets of family members separated? Would it not have been simpler to say the Moorman and Morphew families are allowed to watch if they choose to and none are aware of the facts of the case due to the AA suppression? I might be reading too much into it, but the wording makes me think that the Morphew daughters have seen the AA and can choose to view the hearing if they want to but they are already aware of the facts of the case. I can't think of another reason to refer to the family members separately. Thoughts?

Eta to add link to order dated 8/4/2021

Colorado Judicial Branch

Yup, they only seem to be necessary when private attorneys are defending the accused. Many times they are hoping to cash in on the publicity, like our boy Norm.

When the public defender’s office is utilized, there’s no need for a gag order, as they have a policy that restricts them from commenting on the case outside of normal protocols.

The same is true for the prosecution as well.
I have a lot of tolerance for defense attorneys who vigorously represent their clients but man oh man did Norm make my blood boil. He is a piece of work.

Does anyone else find it odd that the Moorman siblings and the Morphew daughters are going to be watching the proceedings on webex? I definitely would have thought a few of them would be in the courthouse because they were going to be called as witnesses. So, is this order by the court telling us that none of what they could testify to is needed to prove that BM should be bound over for trial? At the very least, I would have expected that Melinda would be called for the preliminary hearing. Am I misunderstanding something?

Also as a side note, the order explicitly states that the Moorman family has not seen the AA due to the suppression order and they are unaware of the facts of the case but goes on to say "similarly" the Morphew daughters would be allowed to view via webex if they choose to... why are the 2 sets of family members separated? Would it not have been simpler to say the Moorman and Morphew families are allowed to watch if they choose to and none are aware of the facts of the case due to the AA suppression? I might be reading too much into it, but the wording makes me think that the Morphew daughters have seen the AA and can choose to view the hearing if they want to but they are already aware of the facts of the case. I can't think of another reason to refer to the family members separately. Thoughts?

Eta to add link to order dated 8/4/2021

Colorado Judicial Branch
Preliminaries are not the trial so not all potential trial witnesses are necessary to establish proof positive presumption great. LE can usually address the evidence.

I don’t think he’s required to attend, but I’m guessing he probably wants to spend time outside of jail for a couple of days.
Edited to take out the word “trial.”

Last edited:
I don’t think he’s required to attend his own trial, but I’m guessing he probably wants to spend time outside of jail for a couple of days.

This isn't the trial, but I assume he'll be there no question. This is a very critical and important step because the judge will decide if the case will proceed to trial or be dismissed. The judge can also bind Morphew over on different offenses than in the charging document if the judge felt different charges were supported by the prosecution's evidence more accurately than what was originally charged. This is an important preliminary. Plus it should tell us the critical evidence that lead to the DA feeling confident enough for the arrest as Murder 1 and aggravation. If Barry is bound over for trial it certainly is a road map of the prosecution's case and may give a slight hint as to the defense.

This isn't the trial, but I assume he'll be there no question. This is a very critical and important step because the judge will decide if the case will proceed to trial or be dismissed. The judge can also bind Morphew over on different offenses than in the charging document if the judge felt different charges were supported by the prosecution's evidence more accurately than what was originally charged. This is an important preliminary. Plus it should tell us the critical evidence that lead to the DA feeling confident enough for the arrest as Murder 1 and aggravation. If Barry is bound over for trial it certainly is a road map of the prosecution's case and may give a slight hint as to the defense.
I know how important this is, and I said I think he’ll be there.

Carol McKinley reported during Andy’s search that the item recovered was in fact the helmet.

Investigators found Morphew’s bicycle in a ravine that evening. Law enforcement investigators told The Gazette that her turquoise bike helmet was found nearby days later.

Sheriff downplays reports of remains found in Suzanne Morphew disappearance
Thanks to Barry's note to the grocery store clerk...the helmet was located sooner rather than later. In fact, he could have expedited the find even further by simply drawing a map of its location on that note....but, maybe I'm splitting hairs.

Thanks to Barry's note to the grocery store clerk...the helmet was located sooner rather than later. In fact, he could have expedited the find even further by simply drawing a map of its location on that note....but, maybe I'm splitting hairs.

And WHY was he digging through trash cans at Poncha Market? What’s the significance (if any) of that store?

And a store manager at the Poncha Market described an encounter with Suzanne’s husband, a few days after Suzanne’s disappearance was publicized.

“Somebody knocked on the window and it was Barry Morphew,” Tiffany Butala said.

image0000.jpg

The note left by Barry, Courtesy of Poncha Market

Butala is a store manager at the market and watched Barry on May 12th around 8 p.m. write the note on the back of a receipt.

“He went to write down a description of maybe what she was wearing,” Butala said. “I just thought it was weird because he didn’t explain the color of her eyes were or her hair or anything about her like how tall she was or anything.”

‘People don’t know the truth’: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

And WHY was he digging through trash cans at Poncha Market? What’s the significance (if any) of that store?

And a store manager at the Poncha Market described an encounter with Suzanne’s husband, a few days after Suzanne’s disappearance was publicized.

“Somebody knocked on the window and it was Barry Morphew,” Tiffany Butala said.

image0000.jpg

The note left by Barry, Courtesy of Poncha Market

Butala is a store manager at the market and watched Barry on May 12th around 8 p.m. write the note on the back of a receipt.

“He went to write down a description of maybe what she was wearing,” Butala said. “I just thought it was weird because he didn’t explain the color of her eyes were or her hair or anything about her like how tall she was or anything.”

‘People don’t know the truth’: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado
I've said a few times...how would he "know" what she was wearing if in theory he left her sleeping? I did agree with the store manager and think it odd he didn't give her height or hair color. But he would know if she typically wore bikers clothing and would know the color of her helmet but who knows what state of mind he was in at that time.

I've said a few times...how would he "know" what she was wearing if in theory he left her sleeping? I did agree with the store manager and think it odd he didn't give her height or hair color. But he would know if she typically wore bikers clothing and would know the color of her helmet but who knows what state of mind he was in at that time.
It was the “digging through the trash” part that was odd for me. Was he searching for Suzanne in the trash? Why that market? Did he go through the dumpster that was near the home too?

Same page here Cindizzi. Thanks for your post. I think chances are just as likely they may have been sincere.
I grew up in Texas. For 50 years that phrase was used in sincerity, never in a snarky demeaning way. Though I now live in the North, I still say it.
For those who think it is mean, I guess times have changed. I believe Hollywood/movies are the cause of different cultures hating one another. Movies have portrayed all parts of our country in wrong ways. Very sad.

It was the “digging through the trash” part that was odd for me. Was he searching for Suzanne in the trash? Why that market? Did he go through the dumpster that was near the home too?
My impression from employees at the store recalling of events was he reached into the trash can by the door and grabbed a receipt to write on the back of. I'm not thinking it has any evidentiary value...but who knows..

My impression from employees at the store recalling of events was he reached into the trash can by the door and grabbed a receipt to write on the back of. I'm not thinking it has any evidentiary value...but who knows..

My impression is, once he realized someone saw him (the young man working there) he had to quickly come up with a reason for being there after hours. His lame description of Suzanne (actually not even her, but what she was allegedly wearing) was rushed and last minute. He was looking for something he thought might still be there, and likely assumed no one was there, since the store was closed.

All of course, is jmo. Unless LE did actually find what Barry was looking for, or have him on surveillance, we may not ever find out what the heck he was doing there.

This male dominance entitlement is shared by untold numbers, especially in the bible belt.
Churches everywhere are full of sinners - at their best, they are field hospitals for the spiritually wounded, not exclusive clubs for the morally superior. So, I am not surprised to find male entitlement among the sins being treated.

I associate the idea of male superiority more with areas of the country where authoritarian views are widely held, and the so-called Bible Belt is one of those areas IMO.

Most likely already mentioned, but I think there will be CCTV of BM on the Sunday driving to Denver with a big Cooler in the back of the truck. CCTV will likely show the return trip, minus the big cooler. IMO.

ITA and have always felt this will be the case. Another hunch is that there is video of BM at a commercial carwash on Sunday cleaning the bed of his truck. Eager to see if my speculation - based on nothing - pans out.

ITA and have always felt this will be the case. Another hunch is that there is video of BM at a commercial carwash on Sunday cleaning the bed of his truck. Eager to see if my speculation - based on nothing - pans out.
I remember LE passing out flyers by the Loaf n Jug and posting a pic of themselves. Car wash next door, always wondered if it was a message to Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loislooking