Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #68 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t mean to “like” your post but your point is just so important - DV victims suffer in silence many times - protecting their children, their home even their abuser. We only have her messages and we have to choose to either believe her or not. Personally - I believe her and if her youngest suggested a restraining order ? Well that seals it for me - I have zero doubt he victimized her in so many ways. jmo

Youngest will need to corroborate that on the stand. I hope they interviewed her long ago and she already did in case she tries to walk it back.

Daughter’s boyfriend’s recollection was already introduced. Gah I bet both daughters will be called up at trial. Whether witnesses for the D or P who knows. What a mess.
I'm not trying to be difficult - but I recall that he said that the had some problems and that he had heard this from his girlfriend? He did not witness DV himself. I am going to get myself in hot water - if I further my line of thinking with examples. It/I would not be popular :)

I think there are. I worked with someone who had that strategy. There's also a difference between private attorneys that can decline cases and not work with certain clients and appointed attorneys who represent criminal defendants under their constitutional right to counsel. The 100% criminal defense attorneys I know really focus on the facts. Your client has a right to representation and a right to defend himself.

I think I have posted about it before but attorneys can develop a "knowledge problem" which is what I think the attorney you mentioned is talking about. Rule 11 under the Federal Rules (and there are equivalents on the state level) states that when an attorney signs something, they are asserting that they have a good faith belief that what they submit is true. So if your client tells you directly that something is false, you can't later truthfully attest that it's true. If your client doesn't say anything to you (so you don't know it's false), you're permitted to make the arguments your client wants to make.

You'll see sometimes in criminal cases when a client wants to take the stand, the attorney will just say "I will let Mr. X explain what happened in his own words." The attorney in that case may not want to get involved in the attorney potentially suborning perjury or participating in a fraud on the court if the defendant is just lying his or her bum off. But the defendant still has a right to take the stand and defend himself if he wants to.
Oh got it. Thanks so much,
Oh, I am sorry about that. Big hug from me.
Thank you. But over 40 years ago.
God sent me an Angel of a man and I couldn’t be happier. I just know sometimes a person can hide what goes on in a marriage.

I'm not trying to be difficult - but I recall that he said that the had some problems and that he had heard this from his girlfriend? He did not witness DV himself. I am going to get myself in hot water - if I further my line of thinking with examples. It/I would not be popular :)
It’s okay. You just want evidence. That’s a good thing.

JMO, there has been no VIOLENCE discussed so far. Abuse? Yeah. Victimization? Yeah. Violence? No. So why are we calling it domestic violence?

Assault includes threatening and pushing and restraining would be considered battery. Both are domestic violence charges when performed against a spouse, intimate partner, or family member in some states. So under the law it would be DV if proven.

In early interviews, Barry Morphew told police Suzanne Morphew was his “angel.”
(snipped)
Suzanne Morphew, 49, was exchanging texts and audio messages with an alleged lover before she vanished last year, prosecutors said Monday. They allege that her husband, 53-year-old Barry Morphew, discovered the communications and killed her in a rage.

Barry Morphew has maintained his innocence throughout countless unsuccessful searches for Suzanne Morphew and issued a $100,000 reward for her return. In a home video, he theorized that she may have been abducted. He has also speculated in interviews with reporters that his wife may have been killed by a mountain lion. Since his arrest in May 2021, law enforcement says Barry Morphew has not agreed to an interview with them.

Investigators say they were paying close attention to Barry Morphew’s statements early on. He told law enforcement that he left for work that Mother’s Day morning at 5 a.m. But the arrest affidavit states that based on Barry Morphew's Telematics report on his truck, law enforcement allege "from 2:47 p.m. May 9 until 5:37 a.m. May 10, he took steps to dispose of evidence of Suzanne’s disappearance and death."

Authorities say in early interviews, Barry Morphew told police Suzanne Morphew was his “angel” since she was 17 years old -- that they’d been together for 32 years and said they “love each other to death.

Colorado dad charged with murdering wife found her texts with lover, prosecutors say

Attachments

• 342AA655-7A88-499C-92AA-D20DBF26B43A.jpeg
    342AA655-7A88-499C-92AA-D20DBF26B43A.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 42
JMO, there has been no VIOLENCE discussed so far. Abuse? Yeah. Victimization? Yeah. Violence? No. So why are we calling it domestic violence?

I'm sorry but I don't think you understand what DV is. It includes abuse and victimization. DV doesn't mean only physical abuse. There are many forms of abuse and violence that aren't physical.

But, you don't know that. I think distance and the fact thhat they were both married probably played into how often they saw each other. My point was. DV victims do NOT put themselves at more risk by having affairs. They just don't.

Correct, I don't "know" that, which is why my post ended with "jmo". And my point was, she may have thought she was being careful enough that he'd never find out. Sometimes people do things both out of character and out of bounds with what statistics indicate. For a million different reasons. We'll never know for sure what her reasoning was behind all this because she's dead, and can't answer for herself.

Assault includes threatening and pushing and restraining would be considered battery. Both are domestic violence charges when performed against a spouse, intimate partner, or family member in some states. So under the law it would be DV if proven.
Thank you @Alethea - some people will never "get it" - jeez.

Can we play Devil’s Advocate here? I want Barry bound over, and I want strong evidence. Would Suzanne have abandoned her daughters and moved to Ecuador to be with her lover? It’s a hurdle that I need to get past, because I wonder if the girls would feel that she must not have cared much about them if she was willing to leave the country for good when they became adults. I personally believe this was a fantasy life just to keep her keeping on, but I don’t know how this will be portrayed. Eye on the prize-Barry.

In early interviews, Barry Morphew told police Suzanne Morphew was his “angel.”
(snipped)
Suzanne Morphew, 49, was exchanging texts and audio messages with an alleged lover before she vanished last year, prosecutors said Monday. They allege that her husband, 53-year-old Barry Morphew, discovered the communications and killed her in a rage.

Barry Morphew has maintained his innocence throughout countless unsuccessful searches for Suzanne Morphew and issued a $100,000 reward for her return. In a home video, he theorized that she may have been abducted. He has also speculated in interviews with reporters that his wife may have been killed by a mountain lion. Since his arrest in May 2021, law enforcement says Barry Morphew has not agreed to an interview with them.

Investigators say they were paying close attention to Barry Morphew’s statements early on. He told law enforcement that he left for work that Mother’s Day morning at 5 a.m. But the arrest affidavit states that based on Barry Morphew's Telematics report on his truck, law enforcement allege "from 2:47 p.m. May 9 until 5:37 a.m. May 10, he took steps to dispose of evidence of Suzanne’s disappearance and death."

Authorities say in early interviews, Barry Morphew told police Suzanne Morphew was his “angel” since she was 17 years old -- that they’d been together for 32 years and said they “love each other to death.

Colorado dad charged with murdering wife found her texts with lover, prosecutors say

repostong the bolded part:
They allege that her husband, 53-year-old Barry Morphew, discovered the communications and killed her in a rage.

what??? when did they allege this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member