Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #68 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In early interviews, Barry Morphew told police Suzanne Morphew was his “angel.”
(snipped)
Suzanne Morphew, 49, was exchanging texts and audio messages with an alleged lover before she vanished last year, prosecutors said Monday. They allege that her husband, 53-year-old Barry Morphew, discovered the communications and killed her in a rage.

Barry Morphew has maintained his innocence throughout countless unsuccessful searches for Suzanne Morphew and issued a $100,000 reward for her return. In a home video, he theorized that she may have been abducted. He has also speculated in interviews with reporters that his wife may have been killed by a mountain lion. Since his arrest in May 2021, law enforcement says Barry Morphew has not agreed to an interview with them.

Investigators say they were paying close attention to Barry Morphew’s statements early on. He told law enforcement that he left for work that Mother’s Day morning at 5 a.m. But the arrest affidavit states that based on Barry Morphew's Telematics report on his truck, law enforcement allege "from 2:47 p.m. May 9 until 5:37 a.m. May 10, he took steps to dispose of evidence of Suzanne’s disappearance and death."

Authorities say in early interviews, Barry Morphew told police Suzanne Morphew was his “angel” since she was 17 years old -- that they’d been together for 32 years and said they “love each other to death.

Colorado dad charged with murdering wife found her texts with lover, prosecutors say
Now I find that reporting confusing. It may well be that prosecutors will say Barry found messages and killed Suzanne because of it. But they haven’t done so yet. In fact, it was the defense who brought up the affair in the first place. We haven’t heard all of the preliminary yet.

RSBM.
IMO, upon arrival LE was investigating a missing and potentially injured person. They brought the bike up out of the ravine and that was a reasonable thing to do at the time. But it’s also clear that they quickly switched to treating the bike as evidence after it was recovered. (Likely because of the locked front wheel.) And it’s really interesting that they needed to admonish both BM and GD for handling the bike. (The story we had until today was that it was GD admonishing LE for how it was handled.) I really expect to hear more from GD before this is all over. If not via LE’s records during the PH, then at trial.

MOO, as always.
Bumping your post so these important facts don’t get lost in all of the noise about the affair.

Youngest will need to corroborate that on the stand. I hope they interviewed her long ago and she already did in case she tries to walk it back.
I have faith in MM2. She has more of a support system of normalcy in her daily life (BF and BF family) than MM1, imho. She apparently offered to move to Salida w/SM and get a job to help ends meet. I just don’t think she’s going to forget how much she was willing to do to help her mother. Right now, both of the daughters have BM’s mother & sister to contend with and that can’t be easy for MM2. (After hat BM sister said to LS during bark at the prelim yesterday! all MOO.

I'm sorry but I don't think you understand what DV is. It includes abuse and victimization. DV doesn't mean only physical abuse. There are many forms of abuse and violence that aren't physical.
I would also go so far as to say that pinning your spouse against a bed against their will is physical abuse as well. To me, DV feels perfectly apropos to describe what she endured.

Let me preface by saying I understand that in a murder case, all info is dug up and brought forth, and rightly so. In the beginning, it isn’t clear what details are relevant and which are distracting tangents.

Given that SUZANNE herself told no one about her affair, I’m going to give JL a bit of grace about not coming forward when she went missing. He may have thought that would continue to protect her, though common sense tells us that eventually, there’s no secret-keeping an affair. Especially since a few people in his world knew about it.

Telling NO ONE says to me she tried to protect herself, her best friend, her sister, and others, and maybe JL, from discovery, maybe questioning from BM? If a conversation between the two had not been recorded on the spy pen—perhaps inadvertently—it might have remained unknown, at least for awhile longer, to those in SUZANNE’s world.

I know people cheat on their spouses, and for all kinds of reasons, but I, too, wish folks could extricate themselves from their current relationship before starting another. And I really wish she had not been involved with a married man with a family. That stinks.

However, in my mind, absolutely NONE of that matters now because SUZANNE is dead, and BM made her that way. No one else, just Barry Morphew.

IMO

JMO, there has been no VIOLENCE discussed so far. Abuse? Yeah. Victimization? Yeah. Violence? No. So why are we calling it domestic violence?

NCADV | National Coalition Against Domestic Violence

perhaps this may help.
From link:

Is Domestic Violence Always Physical Abuse?

It is important to note that domestic violence does not always manifest as physical abuse. Emotional and psychological abuse can often be just as extreme as physical violence. Lack of physical violence does not mean the abuser is any less dangerous to the victim, nor does it mean the victim is any less trapped by the abuse.

Where are you all following the case from? Sorry,I missed it all yesterday and caught up with Trisha's live last night. Are you following Twitter and who on there or is someone here reporting back from the courthouse? TIA

Last edited:
Can we play Devil’s Advocate here? I want Barry bound over, and I want strong evidence. Would Suzanne have abandoned her daughters and moved to Ecuador to be with her lover? It’s a hurdle that I need to get past, because I wonder if the girls would feel that she must not have cared much about them if she was willing to leave the country for good when they became adults. I personally believe this was a fantasy life just to keep her keeping on, but I don’t know how this will be portrayed. Eye on the prize-Barry.
Oh me too. But Suzanne may have told them both, once Macy had graduated, that she was starting over. We know already that Macy would have understood. And if they were adults, she could fly them to visit her. Kinda like living on opposite coasts. I didn’t think much of it. But it would be different if they were very young children.

JMO, there has been no VIOLENCE discussed so far. Abuse? Yeah. Victimization? Yeah. Violence? No. So why are we calling it domestic violence?

Respectfully disagree…. Definitely domestic violence occurred…

Lauren Scharf on Twitter:
“Agent Harris mentioned that Sheila told him in 2018, Barry allegedly pushed Suzanne into a closet and put a gun to his head and asked her if this is what she wanted.”

Stephanie Rose on Twitter:
“He had also pinned her to the bed. She threatened to call police, Harris said. He added Barry was worried about how others saw their marriage & wanted "to come out looking good."

Abuse is domestic violence.

Shoving someone into a closet is domestic violence.

Pinning someone to the bed is domestic violence.

Threatening with a gun is domestic violence.

"Domestic violence" is not just leaving wounds and scars that the ER can document, or women must hide.

Imagine what is happening inside the brain of a small person being screamed at by a larger person who controls the (her) money, controls the health care, and criticizes her all day. Often being screamed at or denigrated in public because the domestic "violence" abuser knows that person can't verbally fight back.

Just because it doesn't show up in a purple bruise or broken bones does not mean it's not violence.

Last edited:
I have faith in MM2. She has more of a support system of normalcy in her daily life (BF and BF family) than MM1, imho. She apparently offered to move to Salida w/SM and get a job to help ends meet. I just don’t think she’s going to forget how much she was willing to do to help her mother. Right now, both of the daughters have BM’s mother & sister to contend with and that can’t be easy for MM2. (After hat BM sister said to LS during bark at the prelim yesterday! all MOO.

Agree. I'm hoping MM2 gave some of these details to her BF so it can be corroborated in case she tries to walk it back. Not sure if hearsay is admissible for impeachment, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper