Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #68 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the client. I have had people repeatedly lie to my face that nothing happened, the evidence was forged, they're being framed, the feds are lying, etc.

Other clients will come to you and may admit to something but they are usually interested in a plea at that point.

I can't speak for all defense attorneys but your job is really to look at the evidence from the state and ask if the evidence proves your client violated each element of the relevant law beyond a reasonable doubt. Most clients will say they didn't do it and you have to lay out the evidence for them and explain their chances. Some people want to fight and lose just to not admit to something.

Thank you, @Alethea for your response. I sure appreciate all the information that you bring to this case.

The evidence itself.
We have no hospital records to support DV. We have no police reports that support DV. We have no testimony from anyone that witnessed DV.
We have text messages of accounts, that may or may not, be true.
What about MM herself confirming it? Unless she changed her tune to LE, it’s in the texts that she encouraged her mom to get a RO if necessary to divorce her father.

It appears she was messaging her friend in Indiana with the problems in her marriage - the media thread might be good to do a quick catch up - one incident involved a gunhttps://www.crimeonline.com/2021/08/09/suzanne-morphew-text-messages-show-she-wanted-to-leave-marriage-barry-morphew-put-a-gun-to-his-head-asked-her-how-she-would-pay-for-cancer-treatments-if-she-left-him-court-testimony/

Some on the thread this morning seem to think less of her because of this "affair" - based on their unedited posts IMO.
I don’t think people want to think less of her. I think she was just placed on a pedestal. Beautiful, lively and a victim of murder. Then the defense did what they always do. They tried to taint her image and make their client the victim. It was a sleazy tactic. I actually hope the prosecution can somehow rehabilitate JL. He looked bad to me. Not judging Suzanne though! Can you imagine having your life controlled? For some reason, that was my thought when I saw that home on Puma Path. (Sorry guys. Just didn’t have a feminine touch to me. It was all Barry)

Alethea, I saw a prominent criminal defense attorney years ago in an interview. He said he never asked a client if he is guilty. He didn’t want to know. He said if the client is guilty you cannot lie to the judge snd jury in his defense or you perjure yourself. So he said he went with the evidence snd fought for his client. (And he usually won. I can’t think of his name.)
I thought that was so strange. Do you think there are attorneys like that?

I think there are. I worked with someone who had that strategy. There's also a difference between private attorneys that can decline cases and not work with certain clients and appointed attorneys who represent criminal defendants under their constitutional right to counsel. The 100% criminal defense attorneys I know really focus on the facts. Your client has a right to representation and a right to defend himself.

I think I have posted about it before but attorneys can develop a "knowledge problem" which is what I think the attorney you mentioned is talking about. Rule 11 under the Federal Rules (and there are equivalents on the state level) states that when an attorney signs something, they are asserting that they have a good faith belief that what they submit is true. So if your client tells you directly that something is false, you can't later truthfully attest that it's true. If your client doesn't say anything to you (so you don't know it's false), you're permitted to make the arguments your client wants to make.

You'll see sometimes in criminal cases when a client wants to take the stand, the attorney will just say "I will let Mr. X explain what happened in his own words." The attorney in that case may not want to get involved in the attorney potentially suborning perjury or participating in a fraud on the court if the defendant is just lying his or her bum off. But the defendant still has a right to take the stand and defend himself if he wants to.

If I were a juror, I'm not sure any of those things alone would convince me to convict, even given what we have heard so far. It depends on what it is and how much. We shall see... so far I am really underwhelmed.
That’s because we haven’t heard the full story yet. People, this isn’t a trial. It was also day 1 of 4. They are laying out the timeline. Everyone needs to be patient. We’ve waited a year. We can wait a little bit longer. I, for one, think they did a good job yesterday and look forward to today.

*edited to add my actual point (need more coffee*
I agree that all social media should be analyzed and believe that her history should have shown that she spent time on LinkedIn. I don’t believe that JL would not have been found, though. I think that Barry knew about him, even if just at the last minute. I think he knew and I think he told the girls, but it could look like motive if he says he knew before she disappeared.

*** If LE had not found JL, I think that BM would have done what he could to lean them there eventually. *** JMO
But, if he told the girls, they know that he is guilty and they would tell LE? Sorry, have I missed your point?

Her communications with her close friend, SO, loomed large yesterday.

We heard about Barry turning his daughters against Suzanne, a recording of Barry and Suzanne arguing over money and the clothing she could wear, and Barry pointing a gun at his own head and threatening suicide.

She was trapped, with little recourse.

In LS recap video last night she recalled a text between SM & SO that stated BM also threatened to throw himself out of the vehicle SM was driving and he was a passenger in while they were arguing. Nuts on so many levels. IMO

The evidence itself.
We have no hospital records to support DV. We have no police reports that support DV. We have no testimony from anyone that witnessed DV.
I can tell you from experience I was a victim too in my first marriage. You will find no record of it. Looking back, I was naive, scared to death of him, and a bit too proud to tell anyone. I hid until my bruises healed. But my children knew and suffered for it. He was also my high school sweetheart. I just think we don’t want to face the fact that we were so incredibly dumb about love.

Thank you @NoSI. I was going to warn others about this as I've previously watched IE stand behind her client with her hands on his shoulders while delivering her closing statement. I also observed the E&N team serving their male client water from a pitcher at the defense table (pre-bottled water days). Very nurturing, touchy. They've got this down! MOO
That’s right out of Leslie Abramson’s book with the Menendez brothers.

The evidence itself.

Daughter’s boyfriend’s recollection was already introduced. Gah I bet both daughters will be called up at trial. Whether witnesses for the D or P who knows. What a mess.

I can tell you from experience I was a victim too in my first marriage. You will find no record of it. Looking back, I was naive, scared to death of him, and a bit too proud to tell anyone. I hid until my bruises healed. But my children knew and suffered for it. He was also my high school sweetheart. I just think we don’t want to face the fact that we were so incredibly dumb about love.
Oh, I am sorry about that. Big hug from me.

I don’t mean to “like” your post but your point is just so important - DV victims suffer in silence many times - protecting their children, their home even their abuser. We only have her messages and we have to choose to either believe her or not. Personally - I believe her and if her youngest suggested a restraining order ? Well that seals it for me - I have zero doubt he victimized her in so many ways. jmo

I think there are. I worked with someone who had that strategy. There's also a difference between private attorneys that can decline cases and not work with certain clients and appointed attorneys who represent criminal defendants under their constitutional right to counsel. The 100% criminal defense attorneys I know really focus on the facts. Your client has a right to representation and a right to defend himself.

I think I have posted about it before but attorneys can develop a "knowledge problem" which is what I think the attorney you mentioned is talking about. Rule 11 under the Federal Rules (and there are equivalents on the state level) states that when an attorney signs something, they are asserting that they have a good faith belief that what they submit is true. So if your client tells you directly that something is false, you can't later truthfully attest that it's true. If your client doesn't say anything to you (so you don't know it's false), you're permitted to make the arguments your client wants to make.

You'll see sometimes in criminal cases when a client wants to take the stand, the attorney will just say "I will let Mr. X explain what happened in his own words." The attorney in that case may not want to get involved in the attorney potentially suborning perjury or participating in a fraud on the court if the defendant is just lying his or her bum off. But the defendant still has a right to take the stand and defend himself if he wants to.
Oh got it. Thanks so much,

I don’t mean to “like” your post but your point is just so important - DV victims suffer in silence many times - protecting their children, their home even their abuser. We only have her messages and we have to choose to either believe her or not. Personally - I believe her and if her youngest suggested a restraining order ? Well that seals it for me - I have zero doubt he victimized her in so many ways. jmo
JMO, there has been no VIOLENCE discussed so far. Abuse? Yeah. Victimization? Yeah. Violence? No. So why are we calling it domestic violence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper