Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #68 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)

Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64
Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

*As Barry Morphew has now been charged with Suzanne's murder, he and his businesses are now open to sleuthing.*

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

If an approved source discusses rumors or family members, it is still NOT allowed to do so at Websleuths. WS has different standards.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew), public documents.

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

(* Admin Edit: to indicate that sleuthing Barry Morphew is now allowed)

I don’t buy that JL thinks BM didn’t know (or at least suspect.) Then why did Suzanne have to switch to LinkedIn? There was a tweet today that said BM was snooping at her texts.
She may not have told him other than to say it's too risky to by phone. She was afraid to be with BM alone. We just don't know what he knew yet.

Just a random inconsequential thought:

Remember the upcoming wedding SM was helping her friend with? I think it was in Indiana. I wonder if former classmate JL was invited.

I don't believe so. The random wedding was at SO's home. It was her daughter that got married.

I think if SO & JL were close enough that she would invite JL to her daughter's wedding -- SO would have probably known about the affair. MOO

ETA: To be clear, the guest list for May 2020 wedding was most likely pared down but many guests were physically present at the garage/shop reception video previously shared by the bridal couple. MOO

Last edited:
I'm not passing judgement of Suzanne for an affair. I think she had been in a loveless marriage with violence and control for a very long time. It doesn't make her less of a person, nor does it diminish the culpability of BM.

Suzanne is the VICTIM here, not her actions.

Carol McKinley
@CarolAMckinley

Court is over for the day. Everyone files out exhausted. “Good times” says one investigator. Two of eight scheduled witnesses testified today - both law enforcement. Start up again tomorrow at 9 am. CU!

RSBM

I am not worried about potential jurors. Maybe I’m naive, but I think, yes, someone might feel bad for BM in the fleeting moments of news of a JL. But the load of evidence against BM is just beginning to get piled up. We have a long way to go, and while there will be minor setbacks, the end result will be the same: SUZANNE is still dead, and BM made that happen.

I agree. We've learned today that Suzanne was flawed, and unfaithful.

However, Barry was controlling, physically and emotionally abusive for years. This isn't a poor soul who was so shocked and devastated by his wife's infidelity that he just...snapped. (I'm not suggesting that would be a valid defense, btw.) He tried turning her daughters against her, apparently tried to control what she wore (based on a recorded argument), and suggested that if she left, she'd have to find a way to afford her own cancer treatments*.

*I hope this is a lightbulb moment for the daughters. "Leave me and I won't pay for your cancer treatment and you'll die" (paraphrasing) isn't a huge stretch, IMO, to "Leave me ... and you'll die". JMOO My heart goes out to them.

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
Messages between Suzanne and Libler are being read in court. They are sweet messages back and forth: -"Your heart, that's what I crave" -"I love how you love me. I love how you think." -"You're the sweetest thing I've ever known."

2:36 PM · Aug 9, 2021·

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
An interview with Libler and authorities is being played in court. He said after Suzanne went missing, he deleted his accounts because he didn't want her legacy to be that she had an affair.

2:43 PM · Aug 9, 2021

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
Libler's daughter saw his phone and the communications with Suzanne. She told a few of her family members.
Quote Tweet

Russell Haythorn@RussellHaythorn

Defense argues FBI hasn't interviewed anyone connected to man Suzanne was having an affair with, Jeff Libler. Defense: Mr. Libler's daughter and brother knew about affair, but have never been interviewed by FBI. Defense appears to be introducing possibility of alternate suspects.
Show this thread
2:53 PM · Aug 9, 2021

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
It appears we're having connection issues with our reporter in the courtroom.

3:11 PM · Aug 9, 2021

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
I believe we're back up and running again. In 2019, Suzanne saw Libler twice and they traveled around the county. Defense attorney Eytan said in February 2020, Suzanne went to see her dad in Florida. Libler was with her at the time for a "secret rendezvous," Eytan said.

3:23 PM · Aug 9, 2021

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
Eytan said Jeff and Suzanne were calling each other the love of each other's lives. She took up mtn biking for him. By April, they were talking about being husband and wife. Libler said he didn't know if Suzanne was joking or not, and didn't know if that was possible for them.

3:28 PM · Aug 9, 2021

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
On May 8, Jeff said, "You need to be my wife" and complemented Suzanne's biking gear. On the morning of May 9, 2020 — a day before Suzanne disappeared — she texted Jeff saying, "We need to be husband & wife."

3:32 PM · Aug 9, 2021·

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
The last text Jeff Libler sent to Suzanne was on May 9: "My gang is home." He told Harris he wanted to support Suzanne being on her own, whether they ended up together or not.

3:35 PM · Aug 9, 2021

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
The two also discussed moving to Ecuador

Replying to
@RussellHaythorn
Defense: Jeff Libler supported Suzanne's wish to be free, with or without him. Defense also says Jeff and Suzanne talked about moving to Ecuador together where Suzanne could teach language. Defense seems to be suggesting possibility Suzanne wanted to disappear, perhaps to Ecuador

3:48 PM · Aug 9, 2021·

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
Libler said the affair made him nervous and he didn't want to lose his job or his family. He said he didn't want Suzanne's legacy to be that she had an affair "with that guy."

3:50 PM · Aug 9, 2021

Replying to
@stephaniebutzer
We're done for today. Court resumes tomorrow at 9 a.m. MT. (Another big thank you to
@CarolAMcKinley
for sharing her notes with us )

4:00 PM · Aug 9, 2021·

What we learned:
  • No suspicious blood was found inside the Morphew residence.
  • Suzanne purchased a "spy pen" before her disappearance to see if Barry was having an affair.
  • The spy pen ended up revealing that Suzanne was having an affair with another man for two years.
  • DNA found in Suzanne's car's glove box partially matched to three people in a criminal database for sexual assault.
  • Barry and Suzanne had fought; Suzanne discussed divorce with the children.
The recap:

In Monday morning's hearing, prosecutors questioned Commander Alexander Walker with the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office.

<modsnip>

Court hearing reveals fights, affair in Morphew relationship - KRDO

3:45 p.m. Update:

FBI Agent Kenneth Harris, who specializes in victimology and behavior, testified that Suzanne's spy pen captured Barry listening to episodes of true-crime shows like Forensic Files. The pen also captured audio of Barry and Suzanne fighting. Suzanne accused Barry of being controlling with money, what she's allowed to do and even what she would wear.

The spy pen is ultimately what led investigators to learn that Suzanne was having an affair -- something they discovered six months after her disappearance.

Agent Harris mentioned that Suzanne texted frequently with an old friend named Sheila. Suzanne told Sheila that Barry would bring their daughters into their arguments and she was worried that Barry would try to turn their girls against her.
Barry had narcissistic tendencies and was considering a restraining order.

<modsnip>

KRDO is following Monday's hearing through ABC affiliate reporter Carol McKinley. Follow her updates below:

Tweets by CarolAMcKinley

Court hearing reveals fights, affair in Morphew relationship - KRDO

I’m really looking forward to all of the evidence over the next few days. Today had a soap opera vibe, and I’m much more interested in digital evidence and what BM’s movement from Saturday 5/9 through Sunday 5/11 will be.

This is to address those who feel free to condemn Suzanne for this affair, whether emotional or physical or both.
Suzanne isn't missing, she's dead, IMO.
If she's dead, someone killed her.
The state believes she's dead and the person who killed her is BM. So do I.
Witness accounts and text msgs describe severe emotional and physical abuse perpetrated by BM for years, at least.
I can't understand the outrage directed at a woman who not only endured years of abuse but WAS MURDERED by the man who made her life a living hell.
IMO IMO IMO IMO

I can just imagine how devastated Suzanne would be to hear all this testimony today. Makes me even sadder. She pinned hope on someone that didn't even have the guts to call LE when they were pleading for any information that would help them. And we don't even know exactly what happened other than her husband was the one that last saw her and reportedly spent many hours in cover up mode. I hope tomorrow we get to BM and his doings, not Suzanne and hers.

If the Secret Pen was discovered in Suzanne's closet any hope that it caught recordings of the last moments she was together with BM in the house?

RIP - Hannah Graham, RIP - Beverly Carter, RIP - Moonchild
bestill,

BBM above.
If the sp recorded BM and SM conversation in their last moments, it could provide evidence of BM wanting to leave house with SM ie entering truck.
But if sp recorded when they spoke, surely we would have further ugly conversations between them.
Perhaps, this is to come......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member