CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Barry Morphew motions hearing on WebEx hacked, "never seen this lengthy [an] affidavit"

Jan 24, 2022

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — Today a motions hearing is being held regarding Barry Morphew, the Chaffee County man accused in the May 2020 disappearance and murder of his wife, Suzanne.

[..]

UPDATE: The WebEx being used to host the hearing was hacked and was being broadcast on YouTube, violating court orders. No electronics are being permitted inside the courtroom at this time.

Today’s hearing comes after a new judge, Judge Ramsey Lama, was assigned to the case, taking over in the wake of Judge Patrick Murphy’s recusal in late 2021.

Judge Lama said in the courtroom during the hearing that “In my years on the bench, and my practices as a lawyer, he’s never seen this lengthy an affidavit either.”

Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office Commander Alex Walker testified during the hearing, as he was part of the original team of investigators on the case.

Barry Morphew case: Judge orders prosecution release emails, documents | FOX31 Denver

Jan 24, 2022

[..]

Morphew’s team argued the prosecution was at times unresponsive when the defense team requested discovery and information shared on the case, to which the judge agreed.

Monday, Morphew’s team faced Judge Ramsey Lama to discuss bond, possible discovery violations, length of trial, change of venue and other trial-related issues.

Judge Patrick Murphy, who was previously presiding over the case, recused himself earlier this month. FOX31’s sister station, KXRM, had reporter Lauren Scharf in the courtroom for Monday’s hearing.

Morphew’s defense team was also successful in arguing previous drafts of a 130-page arrest affidavit should be included in the case and said that previous versions included witness statements that were relevant to the case.

Barry Morphew requests new trial date, change of venue in wife's murder case | FOX31 Denver

Jan 12, 2022

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (KDVR) — The defense for Barry Morphew, a Chaffee County man charged with the murder of his wife, requested that he be allowed to visit his daughters among other requests on Wednesday.

Morphew has been ordered to wear an ankle monitor and is not allowed to leave Chaffee County.

His defense attorneys submitted a list of requests including a change of venue, moving the trial date up by a week to April 25 and a modification to his bond orders.

The defense said he wants to visit his daughters in Gunnison County.

Barry Morphew judge to rule on change of venue | 9news.com

Jan 25, 2022

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — A judge will rule next week on whether to grant a change of venue in the case of Barry Morphew, who is accused of killing his wife Suzanne Morphew.

Morphew was in Chaffee County court Tuesday for the second day of a two-day hearing. During the hearing, Eleventh Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama said he will rule on a change of venue request at a hearing Feb. 1.

Lama also granted Morphew permission to visit his daughters in Gunnison.

Also at Tuesday's hearing, Lama cited District Attorney Linda Stanley for having broken previous judge Patrick Murphy's order regarding pre-trial publicity. There's no word yet on what punishment Stanley could face.

Murphy recused himself from the case last month, following a request by the defense.

[..]

Morphew's attorneys argued during the first day of the two-day hearing that the prosecution has not handed over evidence in a timely manner. The Denver Gazette reports on Monday, the judge ordered the prosecution to turn over all police reports and videos from the 20-month-long investigation to the defense.

He also said prosecutors must turn over any internal affairs and resignation materials involving a Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent who stepped down after a dicey evidence hearing in August.

CBI agent in Barry Morphew murder case resigned amid internal affairs investigation

Jan 22, 2022

A Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent who testified in the murder case against Chaffee County’s Barry Morphew resigned from the agency last month amid an internal affairs investigation, according to a letter obtained by The Denver Post.

Former Agent Joseph Cahill resigned Dec. 8, two days before an internal affairs report was issued about an “accidental discharge” of his personal gun in his home while he was off duty, according to the so-called “Brady letter,” named after a U.S. Supreme Court decision that requires officer credibility issues be disclosed during the court process.

“Pursuant to our responsibilities under Brady v. Maryland, I am writing to inform you that there may be information contained in (a) Colorado Bureau of Investigation internal affairs report… that may impact the credibility of Joseph Cahill,” CBI Director John Camper wrote in the Dec. 17 letter to 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley, who is prosecuting the case against Morphew.

The CBI released the letter Monday following a public records request from The Post.

[..]

Barry Morphew maintains that he is innocent, and his defense attorneys have argued that his wife may have run away or been kidnapped. During an August preliminary hearing, Cahill testified that investigators found male DNA on Suzanne Morphew’s glovebox that did not match her husband but did correspond with partial DNA profiles found in three unsolved sexual assault cases in different states.

[..]

It was not immediately clear how the Brady letter about Cahill’s credibility would impact the case against Morphew, but the letter was discussed in court Monday during a pre-scheduled motions hearing. The hearing is expected to continue Tuesday.

The CBI’s letter did not include additional detail about the internal affairs investigation into Cahill and did not say why he resigned. Susan Medina, a spokeswoman for the CBI, declined to comment Monday. Cahill could not be reached.

Morphew case investigator resigned over personal weapon discharge, letter reveals

Jan 24, 2022

A former Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent who was integral in the early months of Barry Morphew's trial resigned last month, further complicating an already complicated, high-profile murder trial.

Joseph Cahill stepped down from the CBI on Dec. 8, just two days before an internal affairs investigation involving an incident in which his personal weapon went off in his home while he was off duty, according to a document obtained by The Gazette.

[..]

A Dec. 17 Brady letter written by CBI Director John Camper addressed to 11th Judicial District Attorney Linda Stanley explained the Cahill incident, which involved "the accidental discharge of former Agent Cahill’s personal weapon while at home in an off-duty capacity, ... unrelated to any criminal cases to which he was assigned."

A Brady letter is a document that questions an officer’s credibility, should the person be called to testify at trial, explained Jeff Roberts, executive director of the Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition.

“There is data called a 'Brady list' that DAs and law enforcement agencies compile on officers who are deemed untrustworthy for one reason or another. These are issues that could affect their credibility in court.”

Cahill participated in interviews with Barry Morphew in the year leading up to his arrest May 5. The former agent was the last witness to testify at the end of a grueling four-day evidentiary hearing last August. He took the stand to explain how detectives investigated an unknown touch DNA profile found on the glovebox of Suzanne Morphew’s Range Rover.

[..]

According to information divulged in court hearings, the glove box DNA was a mixed partial sample of three profiles, including Suzanne Morphew, one of the Morphew daughters and a third person. The third profile is still unknown and contained markers similar to profiles found in three sex assault cases in Arizona and Chicago through the Combined DNA Index System.

It's unclear to whom the profiles belong, whether there is enough of a profile to identify a close match, or whether the profiles have been thoroughly investigated. The defense team said Barry Morphew's DNA has been excluded from the glove box sample; however, the unknown touch profile was not found anywhere else but on the glove box.

[..]

Morphew's attorneys argued during the first day of a two-day hearing that the prosecution had not shared evidence in a timely manner.

Eleventh Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama — who is new to the case, having been recently assigned to it — ordered prosecutors to turn over the internal affairs and resignation materials regarding Cahill.

Judge grants change of venue; Barry Morphew case moved to Fremont County

Published: Feb. 1, 2022 at 8:46 AM PST|Updated: 11 minutes ago

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (KKTV) - The court has sided with the defense and is granting a change of venue for the ongoing Barry Morphew murder case.

The judge agreed with the defense’s argument the Morphew would have a hard time getting a fair trial in his home county.

“Because of the size of the community and the pervasive negative pretrial publicity since Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance, the Court finds that a fair trial cannot take place in Chaffee County. ... This is a high profile case in a relatively small county with a small jury pool. The media saturation is high. Therefore, the Court also finds, considering the factors articulated in McCrary and the Botham tools at the Court’s disposal, the pretrial publicity in this case has been so massive, pervasive, and prejudicial, that Defendant will not receive a fair trial in Chaffee County,” the court wrote in an eight-page order, which can be read in full here.

All upcoming hearings and the trial itself will now be held in Fremont County. The court declined to grant the defense’s request that the trial be held outside the 11th Judicial District altogether.

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

Wow… Chaffee County Court finally dismissed at 6:30 pm. The judge heard arguments/rebuttal from both sides about #BarryMorphew defense claim of the prosecution’s discovery violations. Judge will make a written ruling. Next court appearance will be Feb. 10th.
6:28 PM · Feb 1, 2022

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

#BarryMorphew has received a new case #2022CR47 in Fremont County and filings in his case will now be filed in Fremont County.

6:33 PM · Feb 1, 2022

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

#BarryMorphew defense claims the prosecution is watering down the evidence about the CODIS DNA match. "We have been open, honest, complying with Rule 16 as best we can & we will continue to do so," Prosecutor Mark Hulbert said. I'll have a recap tonight at 9 p.m. on
@FOX21News

6:51 PM · Feb 1, 2022

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

The judge has ruled #BarryMorphew trial will NOT be held in Chaffee County. For now, the scheduled May murder trial will be in Fremont County which is still in the 11th Judicial District. LUNCH: Former agent Cahill is still on the stand questioned about the DNA investigation.

11:08 AM · Feb 1, 2022

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

Judge Ramsey Lama said, "We were not hacked," according to the Chaffee County Courts IT Team referring to the Jan. 24 motions hearing. He said that someone in the courtroom might have been live-streaming so phones are still not allowed in the courthouse.

11:59 AM · Feb 1, 2022

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

Court will resume at 1:15 p.m. I'm headed inside so I won't be able to tweet until after the motions hearing today. I'll have a live report at 5 p.m.
@FOX21News

12:05 PM · Feb 1, 2022·

Click the links for the recorded details about the event sourced from the AA, Plunder PH videos, PH Tweets, and investigative reporting. Many thanks to @OldCop and @oviedo for the original timeline that this one grew from.

August 5, 1994 – Suzanne Moorman marries Barry Morphew
The Alexandria Times-Tribune Alexandria, Indiana 05 Jan 1994, Wed • Page 4

December 1999 – Barry and Suzanne Purchase 26040 Cal Carson Rd, Arcadia, IN
Private, Gated Estate Home on 10 Acres!

November 2013 – Suzanne Inherits $208,000 upon the Passing of her Mother.
Melinda Baumunk provided documents that Suzanne inherited approximately $208,000 in 2013 at the passing of her mother. She inherited another approximate $217,000 when her grandmother passed away in 2016.

August 2016 – Suzanne inherits $217,000 upon the death of a grandmother.
Suzanne’s grievance list included multiple references to Barry controlling the finances.

April 12, 2018 – The Morphew’s Purchase 19057 Puma Path
Barry and Suzanne Morphew purchase 19057 Puma Path for $1,575,000.

June 1, 2018 – The Morphews move to Colorado. (PH – Harris)
SA Harris: Yeah, they moved in 2018. I believe they left around June 1st, 2018. to move to Colorado. So roughly a year and a half of the time is what Sheila originally said in that.

September 2018 – Suzanne sends “Howdy stranger” message to Libler
First contact since high school.

Fall 2018 – Libler’s daughter sees messages from Suzanne on his phone.
Libler brakes it off.

Thanksgiving 2018 – Barry obsessive/possessive.
While Suzanne was at the Oliver’s house, she had stepped away from her cell phone to use the restroom, and Barry tried calling her several times within a few minutes, then tried calling Sheila, then tried calling Darin.

Holidays 2018 – Suzanne finds Libler’s LinkedIn Page.
Relationship Rekindled.

January 2019 – The Mexico trip where Barry took Suzanne’s phone
Mexico trip mentioned in the grievances list where Barry took Suzanne's phone.

February 11 – 14, 2019 – Suzanne in New Orleans with Libler
Barry admitted to questioning Suzanne about the New Orleans trip, further evidence he suspected the affair.

April 2019 – Suzanne meets up with Libler in Indiana
She does not see Sheila Oliver on this trip.

July 2019 – Suzanne and Libler meet up in Michigan
Barry called Sheila Oliver while Suzanne was in MI visiting her father/JL, wanting to know why Suzanne wasn't returning his calls.

September 2019 – Barry stalks Suzanne and Shelia Oliver, creeping through woods.
Barry stalked Suzanne and Sheila at the Puma Path house in September 2019.

October 2019 – Libler and Suzanne in Dallas
Suzanne and Libler spend two nights at the Galleria.

September – November 2019 – Barry aggressively pursues KW around Salida.
From the first time KW met Barry, she said it felt like "he was putting his tentacles out."

Holidays 2019 – Suzanne and Libler stop talking on the phone because she is afraid Barry will find out.
They shift to more covert ways to communicate. Barry's second device makes its first appearance.

January/February 2020 – Suzanne in Florida, gets spy pen, sees Libler
Suzanne in Florida, Sheila Oliver gives her the spy pen during this trip. Suzanne records a conversation with Libler on this trip.

Late February 2020 – Suzanne in Florida, sees father and Libler.
Suzanna skips out on time with her father to see Libler. Barry goes to Florida.

March 2020 – Spy pen records argument between Suzanne and Barry. “It’s money. It’s about money.”
“… I have lived for years being told how I should feel, how I should act, how I should look, what I should drink, what I shouldn’t drink, what I should put in my body, what I shouldn’t put in my body … ”

March 20, 2020 – Jekyll and Hyde text exchange between Suzanne and Sheila Oliver, Macy suggests restraining order.
"It’s Jekyl and Hyde again … Pretty much told him I can’t be healthy and stay in this."

March 22, 2020 – Spy pen records Barry listening to Forensic Files episodes, call with Suzanne on drive to Pueblo
Coincidentally one of the episodes involved a woman "disappearing" after a bike ride.

April 21, 2020 – Messages between Suzanne and Libler
“I want to be with you,” “I can only be me with you,” I love you,” “I need you.” “You know I was born to love you.”

May 4, 2020 16:05 – Barry makes 3 second outgoing call to Suzanne
This was the first logged call in Barry’s phone to or from Suzanne since February 7, 2020.

May 5, 2020 – Suzanne drives Macy to Gunnison
Suzanne drives MM2 to Gunnison, CO to meet MM1 for a road/camping trip through Utah and Idaho with MM1's best friend.

May 6, 08:44 – Suzanne sends Macy a text
“Good morning! I miss you already!”

May 6, 10:13 – Suzanne: “I’m done. I could care less what you’re up to and have been for years.”
From 14:43 to 17:00 Barry replied, “When I’m dead,” “Going to see my savior,” and “This life on earth is a mear (sic) grain of sand compared to eternity.”

May 6, 2020 – 14:43 – From Barry to Suzanne: “I’m sorry if things went the way they did. I have a problem dealing with the way you accused me of hiding checks. If you think I’m as terrible of a person to hide our accounts and have ones you don’t know about you don’t know me.
All I do is for you and the girls. All. When I'm dead, which won't be long, you guys will be taken care of. Please stop being angry. If I can control my hurt heart I think I can overcome your distant unlovingness toward me. Honey, I swear it's the hardest thing I've had to do. I love you I always will.”

May 6, 2020 – 15:51 – Barry to Suzanne: “I promise you were wrong about all the crazy thoughts about me. I have always been faithful. Always.
Why would I ever want another when I'm married to the most beautiful, sweet, kind, loving, woman as you? Only a fool would stray from an angel like you.”

May 07, 2020 – Suzanne messages Libler about how magical past days had been. Barry wants a new truck.
16:43 - “Been studying all afternoon. I’m gonna bike now. I’ve got veggie soup on for supper.”

May 7, 2020 – Scott Banks puts new tires on Suzanne’s bike
Bike mechanic was interviewed by law enforcement.

May 08, 07:03 – Suzanne’s phone backs up a list of 50 reasons why she wanted to leave marriage on “Notes”
Not safe alone with you. Can’t be trusted - Oppressive - Slam on brakes when angry - Threaten to jump out of car - Gun

May 08, 08:43 – “I will continue to do your invoicing when you need to.”
"When FBI Agents showed Barry these texts during interviews in 2021, he said he did not think Suzanne was serious."

May 08, 09:28 – Suzanne texts sister about Barry’s abuse.
“It’s hard dealing with the harsh abrasiveness and having to show respect. He’s also been abusive, emotionally and physically. There’s so much … I went thru a period of acceptance and I feel more angry now. Anger at what I’ve allowed.”

May 08, 10:55 Barry: “I Love You, Suzanne.”
“But, in the afternoon, it (the text fight) was like it never happened. She texted me back and it was just like, ‘Hey, what time are you coming home? Hey, this or that. Just pick this up or pick that up.'”

May 08, 13:18 – Barry texts Salida Stove and Spa about getting the hot tub fixed.
"Asking when he could come out to the home."

May 08, 15:43 – Barry’s iPhone receives an SMS message associated with the unknown device
This second device was first used on November 30,2019 and was associated with Barry’s iPhone 91 times since then, compared to 1,701 associations with the primary User ID since November 2019.

May 8, 19:06 – Moonlight Pizza and Phone Calls
Barry convinces Suzanne to meet him at the Tailwinds site before going to pick up Moonlight Pizza together.

May 08, 21:04 – 20 Facebook friend requests, 3 men named “Jeff.” Barry’s lurking at the River.
Barry was asked about his phone pinging down by the river during the Facebook posts on Friday night and asked if he was outside. Barry said, “I could have been. I don’t remember. I chase critters around the house all the time.”

May 09, 00:02 – Incoming call on Suzanne’s phone (PH CAST)
Incoming call on Suzanne’s phone (PH CAST)

May 09, 02:07 – Outgoing call on Suzanne’s phone (PH CAST)
02:07 am outgoing call on SM’s phone (PH CAST)

May 09, 06:00 – Barry’s phone received call (PH CAST)
06:00 am BM’s phone received call (PH CAST)

May 09, 06:46 – Barry’s phone registered “Power On”
Comes out of Airplane mode.

May 09, 07:19 – Barry’s cell received signal (PH)
Barry’s cell received signal (PH)

May 09, 07:22 – 07:39 – Barry at “Tailwinds” worksite
Barry’s phone registered locations at his “Tailwinds” work site near Poncha Springs.

May 09, 07:35 – Suzanne texting Sheila Oliver
Discussing Sheila's daughters wedding on Sunday.

May 09, 08:00 – Morgan Gentile was with Barry working on the rock beach site until 11am.
Gentile: “He said that he had to go make the wife happy – do some hiking or biking.”

May 9 – Morning – Suzanne messaging Jeff
“He’s still wanting Arizona.”

May 09, 09:50 – Barry to Suzanne: Want to go on hike? *Text Exchange*
Barry to Suzanne: Want to go on hike?

May 9, 2020 – 11:14 – Suzanne received a second password reset message from Facebook
Previous reset was while Barry was down by the river on the evening of the 8th.

May 09, 11:15 est. – Barry tells Morgan Gentile he could “bury a body” and it “would never be found.”
Gentile: “He seemed stressed. He definitely seemed weird on Saturday.”

May 09, 11:55 – Dead Turkey Hunt or Barry Takes Down His Trail Cameras
Barry said he was looking for a turkey that Mallory had shot previously with a bow, but they had never found.

May 09, 13:35 – Barry leaves home again.
Checked on job at Kim Gyms

May 9, 13:40(?) – Suzanne texts Libler
Guess who is alone again?

May 09, 13:46 – Barry and the backhoe
After texting, Barry drove by Tim Klco's house to see the backhoe, but did not get back in touch to buy it. In 2018, Barry used a backhoe to dig a large hole in his front yard, fill it with items to include furniture, and cover it over, planting alfalfa on top.

May 09, 13:51 – 14:13 – Barry at DSI, replacing Bobcat blade
He was wearing a blue t-shirt and khaki shorts.

May 09, 14:03 – Suzanne sends sunbathing pic to Libler, last proof of life.
“Well, look at her. She’s obviously drunk. Look at her eyes. Do you know what drunk eyes look like?”

May 09, 14:11 – Suzanne sends last LinkedIn message to Libler: “I’m on wa.”
Libler sent response messages at 2:39PM, 2:46PM and 2:47PM that Suzanne did not answer.

May 09, 14:26 – Barry texts Suzanne, “Done headed back.”
He texted Suzanne that he was done and was headed home.

May 09, 14:31 – Barry texted Suzanne, “Did you leave.”
At 2:31 PM, Barry texted Suzanne, “Did you leave.”

May 09, 14:39 – Libler messages Suzanne, she does not respond. First unread.
Messages from LinkedIn show they were talking about how Suzanne is in love with Jeff before she went missing.

May 09, 14:43 – Barry’s phone and F-350, per telematics, arrive at the Morphew residence.
"The photo is shown in the courtroom, Suzanne smiling. Truck GPS coordinates show Barry’s truck goes into park at 2:43:59. Phone coordinates show he walks around the house. You can hear a pin drop in the courtroom as tension is high." - Carol McKinley, PH Tweet

May 09, 14:44 – Shooting Chipmunks? Barry had a .22 in the moments when Suzanne ceased the communicate with everyone she loved in the world.
Shooting Chipmunks? Barry had a .22 in the moments when Suzanne ceased the communicate with everyone she loved in the world.

May 09, 14:46 – Libler messages: “Hey … your weather looks great” Second unread.
No response from Suzanne.

May 09, 14:47 – Jeff sends another messages to Suzanne with no response. Third unread.
Jeff sends last message if the day to Suzanne with no response.

May 09, 16:00 – 17:30 – Defense says Barry was at Salida Stove and Spa
Salida Stove and Spa's posted hours have the store closing at 2pm on Saturday. Telematics show Barry's truck in his garage during the time he was supposedly at Salida Stove and Spa.

May 09, 16:44 – Barry parks his truck in the garage.
Barry claims to have been loading his truck and cleaning off his workbench.

May 09, 17:33 – Barry’s truck system manually rebooted
Barry attempted to disable the trucks GPS and SYNC features.

May 09, 18:40, 18:46 – Sheila Oliver sends two Snapchats to Suzanne that were never opened
Sheila Oliver sends two Snapchats to Suzanne that were never opened

May 09, 21:25 – Barry’s truck goes into reverse, backs 96.8 feet down driveway
Barry backs 96 feet out of the garage.

May 09, 22:17 – Barry’s Phone Exits out of Airplane Mode
Barry's phone comes out of airplane mode at the Morphew residence.

May 10, 02:53 – Outgoing call on Suzanne’s phone
Possible glitch.

May 10, 03:25 – 03:48 – Barry’s truck door opened and closed
"SA Hoyland noted over eighty events involving the F350 during this timeframe."

May 10, 03:58 – Barry’s phone moves from home to near where Suzanne’s bike found
3:58 am BM cell moves from home to near 225/50 where bike found Carol McKinley PH Tweets (read from bottom tweet up): 431 am 5/10 Barry’s phone goes back into airplane mode at the his home. 5:37 am – morphew turns into buena vista & heads towards broomfield. 538 he texts his mom “happy ... Read more

May 10, 04:10 – 04:23 – Last Activity from Suzanne’s iPhone
Sergeant Mullenax asked dispatch to ping the number given for Suzanne’s cell phone. Dispatch informed Mullenax that the cell phone appeared to be off and last known activity was at 4:23AM on the present date, with a general location about 11.5 miles west of a cell tower in Poncha Springs, CO.

May 10, 04:32 – Barry’s Phone Goes Back into Airplane Mode
Barry's Phone Goes Back into Airplane Mode

May 10, 04:32 – 05:14 – Chasing Elk, or Staging Evidence?
Barry's trip to Garfield adds an approximate five miles each way to his morning trip, and places Barry and his vehicle in the direction the helmet was discarded - west from the bicycle.

May 10, 05:00 – Morgan Gentile Hears Barry’s Truck on Hwy 50
Gentile stated she did not see the truck but that his truck has a very distinctive exhaust.

May 10, 05:14 – 06:56 – Barry on the road to Broomfield.
Barry phone exits airplane mode while heading towards Buena Vista, CO.

May 10, 08:10 – Trash Dump #1 – RTD Bus Stop Hwy 36
Agent Grusing: "Yes. He would have time -- with the passenger door opening and closing -- like it would say passenger door opened at 8:10:36 am and then passenger door closed at 8:12:13 am. So it took about a minute and a half and that trash can is only 10 to 15 steps away from where the truck was parked."

May 10, 08:14 – 08:20 Holiday Inn Express, Broomfield. Trash Dump #2
Grusing: "He said he parked there because he hoped someone would come out and he could go in the hotel before checking in and get a free breakfast."

May 10, 08:41 – 08:46 – “I made it to Broomfield call me when you get a chance”
Barry texts Suzanne.

May 10, 08:46 – Barry carries items into the Holiday Inn Express
“If there’s clothes in my truck, there was probably old clothes I threw away.”

May 10, 10:06 – Barry exits hotel room.
He's carrying a charcoal long-sleeved shirt, two white bags, and a pair of boots.

May 10, 10:20 – 10:41 – McDonald’s – Trash Dump #3
SA Grusing said Barry had a small item in his hand and used one arm to push it down, then both to push it further down as Barry was shown the photos.

May 10, 10:47 – 11:18 – Men’s Wearhouse Trash Dump #4
Barry was told he was there for about 40 minutes and asked if he remembered what he was doing there. Barry said, “I think I was still cleaning my truck, umm, yeah, yeah I mean, like I said, I just uh, I would, I was probably getting crap out of my truck like I said, which I’ve done my whole entire life.”

May 10, 11:18 – Barry calls Morgan Gentile
"Barry called he was out of breathe (sic) panting but fatigue, kind a like hungover but he doesn’t drink, honestly when I hung up I thought to myself he sounded like he had the worst night of his life.”

May 10, 11:23 – 11:36 – Barry back at the HIE
Barry carries in disorganized papers in a binder. Carries out an organized binder.

May 10, 11:57 – 12:25 – Barry at the worksite
Barry spent 28 minutes removing a few blocks from the wall.

May 10, 12:28 – 12:41 – HIE Trash Dump #5
A camera recorded Barry throwing away: a small item, one white trash bag, larger in size than the previous bags in one hand, a black container, along with a piece of clothing, possibly a camouflage coat.

May 10, 12:42 – 18:03 – Barry remains in his HIE room.
"At 3:30PM, Barry sent an outgoing message to Suzanne “Call me”"

May 10, 2020 (Time Unknown) – Libler wishes Suzanne a Happy Mother’s Day
Commented that it would be a hard day because she missed her own mother.

May 10, 2020 – 15:30 – Barry texts Suzanne from his hotel room.
At 3:30PM, Barry sent an outgoing message to Suzanne “Call me”

May 10, 15:50 – 17:45 – Suzanne is discovered missing
“I’m just so sad and REDCATED and I texted mom for Mother’s Day and she still hasn’t answered and I’m scared her and dad probably got in a big fight and I don’t even know it just made me want to be gone even more because I don’t want to be around them it hurts me and I know if REDACTED is working I might have to be home a lot more and it’ll probably...

May 10, 17:55 – 19:10 – Barry leaving Broomfield
6:10 pm - Barry entered the lobby carrying two shovels and placed them beside the front desk. He made subsequent trips, placing more tools in the same spot.

May 10, 19:31 – Chaffee County finds the bike
“Something is up with the front tire,” Deputy Brown

May 10, 20:42 – Barry arrives at CR 255 & US 50
"Barry is heard asking if deputies saw any “cats” on the road and a deputy says not recently."

May 10, 21:37 – CCSO Commander Avila brings Barry into the house for scent items.
Barry does not call out or look for his wife in the home.

May 10, After 21:47 – Barefoot prints in the Bobcat Bucket
Deputy Brown was walking in the driveway when Deputy Defurio told him that there were barefoot marks inside of the bucket on the Bobcat. Deputy Brown went with him to examine and found that the cutting blade on the bucket of the Bobcat appeared to be newly replaced, along with the nuts and bolts.

May 10, 22:00 – Gentile and Puckett smell chlorine and have the wrong tools in Broomfield.
“It looked like Barry had removed top caps that was it. We also did not have the tools we need like a packer or gravel.”

May 11, 2020 – First Interviews, Puma Path Searched
"On May 11, 2020, at about 7:00AM, Barry called Morgan and said that Suzanne was missing and he thought a mountain lion may have attacked her. Morgan explained that Barry was initially crying but then abruptly shifted to the specifics about the Broomfield job."

May 11, 2020 – 14:47 – Libler sends last message to Suzanne.
Wishing her well for her scheduled final cancer treatment that day.

May 12, 2020 – 20:00 – Barry found digging in the trash at Poncha Market
“He went to write down a description of maybe what she was wearing,” Butala said. “I just thought it was weird because he didn’t explain what the color of her eyes were or her hair or anything about her, like how tall she was or anything.”

May 13, 2020 – Deputy Carricato took photos of scratches on Barry’s left arm and hands.
These injuries appeared to be healing, several days old scratches.

May 13, 2020 – Fundraiser created
$33,552 raised

May 17, 2020 – 11:13 – Barry’s “plea” video is released on Facebook.
“Oh Suzanne, if anyone is out there and can hear this, that has you, please, we’ll do whatever it takes to bring you back. We love you, we miss you, your girls need you. No questions asked, however much they want – I will do whatever it takes to get you back. Honey, I love you, I want you back so bad.”

May 19, 2020 – Interviews, Pneu-Darts, Range Rovers
"CCSO Deputy Scott Himschoot was present during the search at 19057 Puma Path, in the laundry room, and was asked to collect a “pneu-dart box, empty,” one plastic hypodermic cover, one Pneu-dart book from safe in garage, one dart from box under bench in garage, among other items. The plastic cover was located by evidence search teams in the dryer, inside of the sheets belonging to REDACTED bed."

May 20, 2020 – Spy Pen found.
"The pen was located in a cloth bin amongst women’s bras. The cloth bin and pen were inside the walk-in closet in the master bedroom, located on the ground level of the residence. Detective Hysjulien located, with the pen, the controller and headphones for playback and a USB cable."

June 1, 2020 – Barry files for guardianship.
Within a month of Suzanne’s disappearance, Barry began to liquidate their assets.

June 6, 2020 – Barry closes on IN home.
Pockets $750,000

June 25, 2020 – Barry purchases the Longhorn Ranch property for $165,000
Property Address 8366 LONGHORN DR

July 13, 2020 – Barry sells Suzanne’s Range Rover.
Leaves Suzanne's sunglasses in the car.

Aug 20, 2020 – Lauren Scharf Interviews Barry
“People don’t know the truth, so they’re gonna think what they’re gonna think.”

October 05, 2020 – Barry lists Puma Path home for sale.
Originally listed for $1,759,000.

February 17, 2021 – Barry Sells Longhorn Ranch property for $150,000
A $15,000 loss. Same property sold on 04/21/2021 for $175,000, indicating Barry needed the money fast.

March 3, 2021 – 19057 Puma Path sells for $1,625,000.
Barry and Suzanne Morphew purchased the home on April 12, 2018 for $1,575,000.

May 4, 2021 – Warrant Issued for the Arrest of Barry Lee Morphew
CRS/CHARGE: 18-3-102 (1), (a) Murder in the First Degree, a class 1 Felony, 18-8-610. Tampering with Physical Evidence, a class 6 felony, 18-8-306, Attempt to Influence a Public Servant, a class 4 Felony.

Full Timeline – Find Suzanne Morphew
Barry Morphew Redacted Arrest Affidavit – Find Suzanne Morphew
The People’s Exhibits – Find Suzanne Morphew
Google Earth

Evidence in the Suzanne Morphew case.

Jan 21, 2022

[..]

Ten days after Suzanne Morphew was reported missing, investigators found this "spy" pen in a walk-in closet in the Morphew's master bedroom.

They learn that Suzanne got the pen, which is voice-activated and records conversations, hoping to catch her husband Barry in an affair. Instead, she inadvertently recorded conversations she had with her secret lover.

It took six months for investigators to identify the man. It turned out, he had a wife and six children in Michigan where he lived. He never came forward on his own after Suzanne vanished and took steps to hide their affair. But once agents came knocking, he cooperated and provided access to his DNA, phone records and passwords for deleted accounts.

Investigators were able to verify his alibi and he was cleared.

morphew-07.jpg

Attorneys for Barry Morphew file motion to dismiss murder case | 9news.com

Updated: 9:25 PM MST February 24, 202

FREMONT COUNTY, Colo. — In the final minutes of a more than five-hour-long hearing on Thursday in Fremont County, attorneys for a Chaffee County man charged with killing his missing wife told the court they filed a motion to dismiss the case against Barry Morphew.

"We feel very strongly that the court should dismiss this case," said Hollis Whitson, one of Morphew's attorneys. "We really think that the court should take severe sanctions, including dismissal."

Whitson said prosecutors have mismanaged the case, including missing deadlines imposed by the judge. The lone attorney representing the prosecution in-person in court Thursday arrived at the courthouse more than 30 minutes late. Prosecutors have also not complied with deadlines imposed by the judge several months ago detailing witness lists that were due this month.

Judge Ramsey Lama, who took over the case in January, has not made a ruling on the motion. Lama said in his courtroom in Cañon City that there are pending arguments that need to be resolved before a ruling is made on this motion.

The motion has not been made available to the public.

Judge to issue 1,000 person jury summons in Morphew case

Feb 23, 2022

Cañon City – The presiding judge and attorneys in the first-degree murder case against Barry Morphew agreed Thursday to issue jury summons to 1,000 Fremont County residents in anticipation of a four- to five-week jury trial this spring.

Eleventh Judicial District Judge Ramsey Lama initially suggested a jury pool of 600 people for Morphew’s high-profile murder trial but consented to a defense request to call 1,000 potential jurors.

That was one of several rulings in a day-long motions hearing at the Fremont County Courthouse, where the trial will be held following Lama’s granting of a change of venue earlier this month.

[..]

After the jury commissioner explained there is about a 50 percent return rate of jury summons that are issued in Fremont County, defense attorney Hollis Whitson said a pool of 600 jurors “seems pretty thin.” Whitson said it would really become problematic if they ran out of jurors.

Lama acknowledged that in addition to routine hardships prompting juror dismissals, a five-week trial along with extensive publicity in the case could reduce the jury pool to about 400 persons.

The judge ordered the jury selection process to be moved up another day so that five different panels of 60 potential jurors could be scheduled to show up April 28 and 29 to begin filling out juror questionnaires. Attorneys on both sides would then have the following weekend to start eliminating potential jurors based on answers to the questionnaires.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back