CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MAY 25, 2020
‘They can’t find her’: Message to church group shows desperate plea in early days of search for missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew [REPORT]
Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew and her husband Barry Morphew were active members of a Baptist church in Indiana, and members of the community there are concerned about Suzanne’s well-being as the investigation into her disappearance enters its third week.

[...]

JP noted that Barry Morphew was not quite as friendly as Suzanne, describing him as sometimes “standoffish.” Still, JP said he never noticed any trouble between the husband and wife.

CrimeOnline has viewed a message that was sent to members of the Morphew’s former church in Indiana, requesting prayers following the news of her disappearance. The message notes that Morphew’s bike was found “crashed,” and mentions that a mountain lion had been seen in the area where the bike was discovered.

[...]

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze said during the first week of the search that investigators believed it was unlikely Morphew was the victim of an animal attack.

BREAKING: Colorado police release Suzanne Morphew’s home back to her family, sources say

The report cites Gregory Nieto’s reporting, and goes on to say this:

The CBI Public Information Officer assigned to handle media requests connected to the missing persons investigation told CrimeOnline that the release of the home had been “pending” and did not have immediate confirmation the residence had yet been turned back over to Suzanne’s family.

Chaffee County Fire Chief Robert Bertram said on Tuesday he had been told by a member of the community who had been bringing Barry Morphew food and supplies at a temporary location, believed to the home of a friend, that the house had been released back to the family. The fire chief was not sure if Barry Morphew had yet returned to the home. Bertram also said he does not know where Suzanne and Barry’s two daughters are staying at this time.

EK on Twitter
There has been so much information spreading around on social media that appears to be coming from bad faith actors. I really hope none of these people are also giving police bad tips -- they have to follow up on everything. 400 so far. #suzannemorphew
6:13 PM - 26 May 2020

Lauren Scharf on Twitter
UPDATE: Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office have received more than 400 tips for #MissingPerson #suzannemorphew The Morphew home has been released back to the family. Investigators continue to search and follow up on tips. Tip Line: (719) 312-7530
EY-nZwDWoAABoIP.jpg

6:46 PM - 26 May 2020

May 21, 2020

‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

CrimeOnline reached Chaffee County Fire Chief Robert Bertram, who confirmed that Barry Morphew is one of about 40 volunteer firefighters in the county. Asked if he had any information about a possible training that Morphew had attended on May 10, Bertram said it was the first he’d heard of it.

“Due to [the coronavirus pandemic], our firefighters have not been attending any trainings sponsored by us,” Bertram said, adding that sometimes firefighters will pay for training courses on their own. The fire chief said he had heard, rather, that Morphew had been working a landscaping job in Denver on May 10.

[..]

Bertram said he believed that Barry Morphew continued to work independently as a landscaper in Colorado after he moved from Indiana, and said there is high demand for construction work in the area. Bertram also said he has never known Morphew to be dishonest.

“[Barry] and his wife are honest and friendly,” Betram said. “If Barry Morphew tells you something, you can believe it.”

The fire chief has not had direct contact with Barry Morphew since Suzanne disappeared, but has spoken to firefighters who have. He said that Barry is staying with a friend in the area, “pacing around, staring out windows,” hoping for information about his wife. The friend is not a member of the fire department, Bertram said, though some Chaffee County firefighters have seen Barry at the friend’s home since the investigation began.

Bertram said a firefighter in his crew was the first to alert him to Suzanne Morphew’s disappearance, in an early morning phone call on Monday, May 11. According to the fire chief, that firefighter said in the initial call that authorities had found Suzanne’s bike. Bertram did not have any information about when or where Suzanne was last seen, or when she was last in contact with her husband. He also did not know precisely where the bike was found.

Asked if he was concerned about the possibility that Suzanne was abducted, Bertram said, “I think the family thinks that’s what happened to her.” He said he was not aware of any specific threat against Suzanne or her family at any time.

“Her biggest downfall is the fact that she’s so friendly,” Bertram said of Suzanne. “She’s one of those people that wouldn’t hesitate to talk to anyone, to help anyone.”

Bertram went on to say that Suzanne and Barry were both well-respected members of the community, and active in their church. He said Suzanne was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church, and said he did not believe she attended church on May 10, though he could not be certain.

Bertram also noted that the fire department is not working with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s office or state and federal authorities on the search for Suzanne Morphew, but said that some firefighters had been volunteering their time to search for the missing woman. He acknowledged a possible disconnect between Morphew’s friends and family and the law enforcement officers conducting the investigation.

“Everyone has their own interpretation” about the law enforcement response, he said.

Barry Morphew has offered a no-questions-asked $100,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of his wife; an amount that was matched by a family friend, for a total reward of $200,000. This past weekend, he released a video statement saying he would do “whatever it takes” to bring his wife home.

Lauren Scharf (Facebook)
May 25, 2020

Comments made by Reporter Lauren Scharf on May 27 at the link above:

There were no targeted searches today. I have heard from Suzanne''s family and I have more questions out to the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office to get answered. I had to be particular about the questions I asked since it is an open investigation. Hopefully, I can share soon what else I've learned.

The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office told me today that they are following up on the 400 tips received. As for targeted searched there hasn't been any (this entire week) that they are informing me about. I have reached out to family members on Suzanne's side and they tell me that they've been told not to comment. I will continue to ask questions to Law Enforcement and search for the truth.

Missing woman's hometown shows support

May 29, 2020

5ed01c9fdccaa.image.jpg

ALEXANDRIA — As the search continues for Colorado missing woman Suzanne Moorman Morphew, residents of her hometown of Alexandria are placing yellow bows as a visible show of support to the family.

The 49-year-old Alexandria native was reported missing after she didn’t return from a bike ride on May 10 in Chaffee County, Colorado.

Amy McCurry, an Alexandria city councilwoman who attended high school with Morphew, organized the placement of bows with help of other former classmates and family and friends.

“We were very close, especially the summer before our freshman year we spent a lot of time together,” McCurry said.

McCurry described Morphew as beautiful inside and out.

“It sounds like a cliché but she was just the sweetest gal and she truly was beautiful inside and out,” McCurry said. “We focus on trying to remain optimistic and stay away from the rumors and speculations.”

[..]

Morphew is the daughter of Gene Moorman, former owner of Gene’s Root Beer drive-in restaurant on Scatterfield Road in Anderson.

Susan Medina, communications director for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, said Thursday that the investigation is ongoing and that searches have been conducted in the last week based on tips that have been provided.

“It still is a missing persons case,” Medina said. “It is an open investigation so they’re looking at all possibilities.”

JUN 1, 2020
SEE IT: Husband of missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew shares details of wife’s disappearance in secret recording, suggesting she may have been kidnapped [VIDEO]
[...]

Barry-Morphew-YouTube-screenshot-Tyson-Draper.jpg

[...]

“We’ve had a lot of media bother us … obviously, this is very emotional,” Morphew tells Draper, who appears to place a device somewhere on the side of his body and tells Morphew that the device is not on as it continues to record the conversation. ...

“We’ve searched a 200-mile radius; all of the mountains have been covered so far,” Morphew says. Very shortly after Draper begins recording, Morphew stops on the road and tells Draper they are standing next to the area where police discovered Suzanne’s bike on the same day she was reported missing.

Morphew points to an area out of the camera frame and tells Draper it’s where Suzanne’s bike was found. Not everything Morphew says in this section of the recording is audible, but he appears to be critical of law enforcement’s response; suggesting that the scene may have been contaminated. Morphew also says that a mountain lion had been seen in the same area on the day that Suzanne was reported missing, but noted that investigators did not find any trace of an animal attack.

“What seems to have happened, from the investigators, and they don’t give much … and I’ve got private people working for me … is maybe she was abducted …”

“They found an article, going west, of hers. They won’t tell us what it is.”

... Morphew can be heard saying that his daughters became concerned when they couldn’t reach Suzanne on Mother’s Day, and asked a neighbor to check on her. He says that the neighbor found that Suzanne’s car was at the residence, but that her bike was gone.

Watch the full video here.

Morphew also tells Draper that he was working at a job site in Denver on May 10, as has been previously reported. Morphew is a volunteer firefighter in Chaffee County, and also works as a landscaper. ...

[...]

Transcript of TD and BM Video courtesy of @dixiegirl1035:

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

00:00 my name's tyson draper from i'm from

00:02 arizona

00:04 um so what happened okay yeah

00:08 you might put that in here oh not a

00:09 problem no it's not on bro

00:13 we've had a lot of you here

00:29 it's never gonna hurt to to retrace dirt

00:32 so we've searched a 200 mile radius

00:36 what really all of the mountains have

00:38 been covered

00:39 so far but obviously we're gonna miss

00:42 things

00:43 right let me show you what happened

00:47 um and i do have a reward

00:51 there is a reward 210 000. um

01:00 the bike was found at the bottom of the

01:02 hill by that tree

01:03 where the peak was oh really um

01:06 the first night there was a mountain

01:08 lion the officer seen it walk by the car

01:11 so we thought maybe she got

01:12 attacked by a lion we thought maybe she

01:14 wrecked

01:16 coming down this hill car coming around

01:17 the corner fast and maybe was

01:19 disoriented and got in the river

01:21 we've covered all of this really good

01:24 this triangle with search and rescue

01:28 so we're pretty comfortable that

01:32 this is not in this triangle between the

01:34 rv park

01:35 your truck this road and then the next

01:39 road

01:41 but what seems to have happened

01:45 from the investigators and they don't

01:47 give much when i've got

01:49 private people working for me is maybe

01:52 she was abducted right here

01:54 and they found an article

01:58 going west of hers they won't tell us

02:01 what it is

02:02 so they sent another team after they

02:05 found the article

02:07 that covered this hillside all the way

02:09 down to the river

02:10 pretty good my concerns were

02:16 this way and that way if it was the cat

02:20 because the cats they dragged their prey

02:23 up

02:24 the mountain and out of people's

02:27 we can't find sign for the cat but we

02:28 got rain like right away yeah

02:31 washed away sign so they found our bike

02:34 just right against that tree down well

02:37 no he was on the ground

02:38 oh the wheel was facing and the uh

02:41 sheriff's department uh they screwed

02:44 everything up they shouldn't have

02:45 touched it

02:46 that's where it left it it's evidence

02:52 and we had cars over here well the

02:55 sheriff let everybody

02:56 drive through here covering all

02:59 or messing up all the evidence they were

03:02 walking all over this area

03:04 which if somebody abducted her they

03:06 would have had foot tracks

03:08 they would have fingerprints on the bike

03:10 and now they let ten other people touch

03:12 the bike

03:13 oh man i mean we was really upset that

03:15 first night

03:16 i was in denver so all you were i didn't

03:18 get here until nine o'clock that night

03:21 yeah and my friend's an army ranger and

03:24 he knows this stuff better than anybody

03:26 he did 400 tours in

03:27 iraq afghanistan

03:43 so you don't know where that article was

03:45 though was it by the road or

03:47 they won't even they won't say huh

03:51 well barry i'm glad you filled me in man

03:54 um

03:54 i was

04:04 i was hoping i'd run into you because

04:08 i can't even imagine

04:26 um

04:41 you because i mean you got to look at

04:43 especially in colorado there's been so

04:45 many cases

04:46 where like patrick frazee christopher

04:48 watts

04:49 you know these guys get on there and

04:51 they they act like

04:53 you know they didn't do anything and so

04:54 they i mean

04:56 naturally people are going to be

04:58 skeptical in the beginning

05:00 you know but you just came to help

05:04 yeah yeah i was in uh the pagosa springs

05:07 area and i i've been kind of hearing

05:09 about this and

05:10 so i thought i'd just come help man and

05:12 what can i do for you bro

05:14 um we've got a good group of friends and

05:16 stuff uh the best thing that you could

05:18 do

05:19 if you're a hiker and you're an

05:20 outdoorsman yeah just

05:22 get out there and cover something okay

05:24 yeah find something if you find anything

05:27 don't touch it take a picture of it give

05:29 it to the police

06:03 okay we've covered i had uh

06:06 school friends come the first few days

06:10 so we had a bunch of guys that covered

06:13 that

06:14 up from there up in there but the only

06:16 thing this is a tough one and

06:17 my friends

06:23 let me ask you a quick question so you

06:26 were in denver but how long

06:28 how long before somebody noticed that

06:31 she was gone and

06:32 well it was mother's day um

06:42 we had two daughters that were coming

06:43 home from the trip

06:46 and i had a job in denver that

06:50 i wanted to get started on on sunday set

06:52 it up for my work because my workers

06:53 were coming in sunday night works

06:56 monday but the owner i wanted to get

06:59 everything lined up so that

07:04 so i told my wife

07:29 and said listen this mother's day i'm a

07:32 little worried

07:33 and when you go check the house and your

07:35 neighbor wouldn't check the house

07:37 you saw that her car was there she

07:40 called me

07:40 and then said hey was this a little

07:57 man i can't imagine what you're going

07:58 through but it sounds like you got a

08:00 really good support system

08:01 yeah and uh do you want me to leave my

08:04 number or anything and

08:05 in case you need me i'll be here for the

08:06 next

08:08 and then give me your number

08:11 write it down because my phone's

08:12 charging in the truck but um

08:16 just very give me yeah yeah text me your

08:20 number and then if i find anything i

08:21 will uh

08:23 i'll let you know 4-8-0

08:27 4-3-1 5-3

08:31 4-4

08:35 t-y tier

08:46 i can't imagine that are you grandma are

08:48 you out there

08:49 very mom oh barry i i feel for you man

08:52 i appreciate it yeah and if you're

08:54 getting in and what you're doing here

08:56 i appreciate it yeah you person

09:00 oh no no no

09:06 yeah oh they they will barry they will

09:08 and probably the

09:10 the worst is yet to come i hate to say

09:12 that but just ride the storm out man and

09:13 the truth always comes out in the end

09:15 bro

09:15 so hey good to meet you guys take care

09:44 okay well as you can see ladies and

09:45 gentlemen i just had a long conversation

09:49 with barry morphy he told me the whole

09:50 story

09:52 and i met his mom

09:55 and he if you i hope this camera picked

09:57 it up but i got his whole story he told

09:59 me that the bike was discovered right

10:01 over here

10:02 he walked me up this hill and

10:06 he made a little threat there at the end

10:08 i don't know if the camera picked it up

10:09 or not but he said if i'm with the news

10:11 media he's going to come after me

10:14 wow stay tuned everybody this has gotten

10:17 really creepy

JUN 2, 2020
YouTuber who ‘secretly’ recorded video of Barry Morphew discussing wife’s disappearance says he believes Suzanne Morphew’s husband knew the camera was on
[...]

Tyson Draper encountered Morphew this weekend after the Arizona man traveled to the central Colorado township after visiting friends not far from Maysville, Draper told CrimeOnline. He said he had become interested in the missing persons case and wanted to search the area where investigators have focused a search for Suzanne, noting that the $210,000 reward offered was part of the incentive.

... Dyson told CrimeOnline that he had been to the area near Morphew’s home on Saturday and saw Barry Morphew in his truck. He said he came back the next day and when he saw Morphew driving again, he flagged down the pickup truck and spoke to Barry, telling him that he was interested in helping with the search for Suzanne.

... At the beginning of the 8-minute video, Morphew is heard asking Draper to turn off a device — a GoPro, according to Draper — and Draper tells him that he has turned it off, which is not true. Draper continues to record while Morphew discussed the search for Suzanne, taking Draper to an area where her bike was reportedly found — a discovery that police have not publicly confirmed.

[...]

“He saw the red light was on. He knew it was on,” Draper said.

“He was watching me like a hawk. I saw him look right at it.”

Draper shared more detail of his earlier encounter with Morphew, when he saw the Suzanne’s husband driving his truck on a road near the Morphew home, which he also said is separated by a patch of forest from a creek. ... he clearly saw Barry Morphew in the driver’s seat. He said Morphew as “soaking wet” and not wearing a shirt.

... Draper said he believes Morphew must have been in the creek, and said that while he didn’t see Morphew emerge from the woods separating the creek from the road, he believes that would have been the only way Morphew could have accessed his car without passing Draper in the other direction. ...

[...]

Police have not ruled out foul play in search for missing Colorado woman as husband offers $100,000 reward [VIDEO]

May 13, 2020

As a massive search continues for the missing mother, a family member told CBS4 that Morphew’s husband, who has not been publicly identified, has offered a $100,000 for information about his wife’s disappearance. A ******** campaign is also raising money for a search effort, though it is not clear if that effort is in coordination with the search launched by the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, which reportedly involves more than 100 personnel and tracking dogs provided by the Department of Corrections.

Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

May 13, 2002

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS4) – The husband of a Chaffee County missing woman is now offering $100,000 as a reward for information about her disappearance, a family member told CBS4. Suzanne Morphew was reported missing on May 10.

Family offers $200k reward for missing woman’s ‘safe return, no questions asked’

May 14, 2020

Noel said Suzanne’s husband put out a reward of $100,000 and a family friend has matched the amount, totaling $200,000 for her safe return. [..]
Noel declined to comment if Suzanne had children or who she lived with. No further details were provided. [..] A ******** page has been created to support the family and search efforts.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

In Re: the Guardianship of Suzanne R Morphew

Case Number 29D01-2006-GU-000096
Court Hamilton Superior Court 1
Type GU - Guardianship
Filed 06/01/2020
Status 06/01/2020 , Pending (active)
Reference
Guardianship Registry

Parties to the Case
Incapacitated Adult/Child Morphew, Suzanne R
Petitioner Morphew, Barry L