Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He tells Tyson that they’ve searched a 200 mile radius and that ALL of the mountains have been searched.

IIRC, Chaffee County is home to 12 “fourteeners”, mountains that rise to over 14,000 feet. To search all of the mountains in a 200 mile radius would be impossible.

JMO

I of course do not know this guy at all. However, IMO, I sense a lot of exaggeration when he talks. The one upper guy, the guy that caught the biggest fish on the lake that day.

I suppose it’s possible he’s just out there spinning his wheels. He’s probably not one to be idle.

At about 4:30 - when his mom moves the truck - There is a lot of missed dialogue due to noise and BLM is saying they have to investigate him. Tyson says, “get your name cleared,” and BLM says, “they told me it’s cleared”. Anyone else hear this? (Clearly I did not go to bed.).

I heard something like that, but wasn't quite sure what he said. Could LE tell a POI that they're cleared even if they're still considering him a POI?

Two things now that I've listened again--
1. "We HAD two daughters..." --I think he was just saying that they had two daughters who were out of town. Ie, not that SM and he had conceived and gave birth to two daughters (past tense), but just a grammatically different way of saying "Our two daughters were out of town..." instead saying, "We had two daughters who were out of town..."

2. The long pause, and "um", (and maybe a tongue click or a phone sound) before talking about those two daughters who were on a trip--I'm wondering if maybe he was checking his phone and got distracted, or maybe got a glance or signal from his mom who was waiting in the truck. He's off camera at that point, so it's hard to say why the pause.

Again, I'm still on the fence, but some of the suspicious little nuances might have simple explanations.

He's a smooth talker, that's for sure.

Listening to him, one would almost think he just dropped that tidbit about the rain in as an afterthought.
Almost.

I find the words posters are using to describe him after watching this video quite interesting:

"Personable"
"Charming"
"Believable"
"Earnest"

This guy is a born salesman.

I'm just not buying what he's pitching.

JMO.
I am on the fence...He IS believable...IMO, only his closest friends and family can tell whether he is genuine.
He may be able to talk abt a lion attack, because it is looking less likely. He is a hunter and perhaps that allows a certain acceptance. I see someone who has moved from first phase of being blindsided, to more
numb and trying to keep going...
Or he is really good at this...

We are frustrated, w/ our little info...what if he is innocent, wouldn’t you be as frustrated w/ LE focusing on your guilt?

He isn’t angry at them, IMO , for that.
He just wants them to help him find her...

TBH this is my only second rodeo, and I have not sleuthed any of the Watts, Frazees.

He wasn’t selling his innocence, so much as the scenario, did they do that, or protest their innocence?
Absolutely. But I’ll tell you one thing, if my wife was missing, I wouldn’t give a damn about any of it.

You’d see me on tv so much that you’d get sick of me. Because when a loved one is missing, it is not about you.

I can’t fathom putting myself first, and making the choice to protect myself, over the life of my missing loved one. That wouldn’t occur to me.

Incidentally, it also doesn’t occur to the vast majority of people in these situations.
More of a reply to everyone...
JMO On the fence, nudge me...if he really thought a mountain lion killed her, wouldn’t do much good to appeal to the public?
If he really thought a mountain lion killed her, why the first video?

First of many contradictions, wobbling
we dissect every word he said, missions/deployments, he isn’t bragging about himself, he’s telling you why he has confidence in his buddy, nonmilitary persons don’t know jargon...Heck! I am military wife, mother...battalion? squadron? flight? sortie?px? bx? My daughter recently took a test on 350 acronyms she had to learn for new assignment???
HE said he was in Denver setting up a job for Mon. Firefighting course info came from some else.
One thing I will say, he is answering questions, not presplaining. JMO
He is out there searching.

I am getting splinters.
I am biased.
I want this to be an innocent spouse.

I wonder what my husband would be doing
if I disappeared? on day 18? Would he have given up? Would he be angry w/ LE? Would he still be searching?

JMO I believe my husband might react just
Like BM at this point, especially w/ all the speculation and rumors abounding.

I am going to get some padding, as I may be on the fence, when an arrest is made, or a den found...

what if LE comes back w/ a massive amount of evidence proving he is innocent? Wouldn’t we expect that evidence, w/o body?
Wouldn’t it take just as long to clear him?
I am not a tracker, but when my son wounded a deer on our land, we looked for an hour, then got our more experienced friend to help, never found it, we are on much smaller land area, rain could have factored in...
I am rambling, sorry.
Mountain lion would be the simplest explanation...Occam’s razor

And WHY is he so CALM?!?? Like he lost his wallet? I am dumbfounded. JMO
bbm
Agreed.
Think about it... if someone stops loving you they might not ask immediately for a divorce, but maybe start withdrawing emotionally, physically, etc.

So, even if BM harmed no one at all -- and it was a random stranger who happened to be driving on those rural, remote roads looking specifically for a woman in her late 40's who was out riding her bike --- BM may have been emotionally distant and to him she was an object like a vase.

Horrible to think of but in other cases criminals have considered another person to be only an irritant to be disposed of.
Except a stranger did it for him ?
Maybe it was the same stranger who kidnapped Barbara Thomas because 'she was wearing a bikini and carrying a beer', according to the last person to see her.

I think after viewing this video, we now know who was pushing the 'bike ride' story.
Add the mountain lion ambush to the possibilities.
And we'd know none of this without BM's assistance.
So, what happened ?

Sorry, I'm going to believe what LE has to say over BM, or even some of the msm sites.
No offence to msm.

And why the f. is he now pushing a 'mountain lion' attack ?
LE never hinted at such a scenario and if so there should've been some evidence.

As far as your comment about the wallet... just speculating ---what if Suzanne came into the marriage with money and if she left BM would be either destitute or in debt ?
Imo.

It was kind of hard to hear with the background noise but did anyone else hear him say something about LE finding women’s and men’s clothing up at the lake?

I’ll have to go back and listen to it again to be sure.

JMO

I’d wager that in almost every active case - abduction, homicide or missing persons - if a multi-agency LE investigative team asks the family not to talk publicly about the case, the family will comply. They’ll possibly be exasperated, resentful and frustrated at not being able to do so, but they’ll still likely comply. On the rare occasions that they disregard LE’s request - e.g. the nephew in this case regarding the bike and it’s condition - the shutters are quickly pulled down.
Not in an abduction case. Media attention is absolutely vital, which is why you have families who (rightfully) complain when their case doesn’t get as much attention as others.

Law enforcement might tell the family not to publicize certain things, but not to remain silent (except in exceptional ransom cases in the past).

I’ve never seen law enforcement tell the family not to make public pleas. I’ve seen it in homicide cases, but never anything else.

You beat me to that point! I was going to ask when he was implying that it had rained (ie, when did the rain happen?), because that would also wash away any human/tire evidence. He had mentioned that he was upset with how LE had handled things at that site, allowing people to drive up and down, and to walk all over that area, hence ruining any possible tracks/footprints.

This was my thought as well. He might have seen TD earlier when he passed TD while TD was initially recording video, and thought that this guy would be a great opportunity to "unofficially" get his narrative out there. Why else go through all that info with this guy? He could definitely have known or suspected the camera/audio was still recording.

I don't know, my take on this video is, first, it was very dishonest on the part of the YouTuber. If he posted somewhere that he "accidentally" recorded him, that's a bunch of carp. He kept checking his pocket, and he admitted at the end of the video that he was purposely recording, by saying he hoped the camera had picked up some particular part of the "interview".

As for BM, I don't know...I'm certainly not convinced he's innocent, but it does give a different picture of him than the FB video.

Edited for clarity because my brain is apparently mush tonight.

Another thing about this video, if the youtuber "accidentally " recorded it, why deliberately post it for the whole world to see? Did he "accidentally" post it also?

It's a big stretch from accidentally recording something to deliberately posting the recorded content online.

Excellent point! Mother's Day is all about mothers and their children. It has nothing to do with husbands and wives. IMO

I have never had a Mother’s Day where my dad didn’t help us cook breakfast and go out to dinner or bbq. He always gets my mom flowers, and helps her plant in the garden, or whatever other little activities she wants to enjoy that day.

My own husband is front and center every year, making sure it is a relaxing and enjoyable day for me. IME, husbands honor their wives as mothers of their children just as much as kids give gifts or attend meals. To each their own.

For me, BM’s timing to leave to prep a site on Mother’s Day is odd. I would love to know if that is a common practice in their household, given what we have heard about him being a religious man and them attending church, etc...My guess is no.
ALL IMO MOO JMO

I’ll pose the same question to both of you then: if LE asked you and your family *not* to speak publicly on the case, would you just refuse their request and bowl ahead with interviews? Not trying to be provocative here, just trying to understand why people think everyone else would act in an identical manner to them? Not one sibling of SM has fronted the media either. Another thing to wonder about.

I think that is a very good question. It’s hard to honestly imagine being in the shoes of someone that their lifelong partner has suddenly disappeared. So that’s my disclaimer. My instinct says that if I felt that LE had some solid leads and the approach made sense, or that my loved one’s well being depended on it, I would always follow their guidance. From afar it has always seemed to me LE is on point and has gone above and beyond most other cases I’ve followed. Instead of pushing his narrative, if he felt it was some random stranger, why wouldn’t he say something like “My wife has been missing 20 days, I’m losing my mind, I’m heartbroken and I can’t do anything but look. We don’t know what happened but here is what we do know. Have you seen anyone that fits her description? How long are you here? Our daughters are heartbroken, we need her home. What if she needs me and I can’t find her? Aren’t thos e all questions we would have in varying degrees in this situation? etc. etc.

However this has appeared as a parallel investigation from the beginning. BM strikes me as a man that likes to win and control things. That’s not always bad, I’m sure much of his success is because of this trait. It however comes across as divisive, going rogue from LE and his story doesn’t make sense. There is no win as far as I can tell. Unless they find SM and somehow she is unharmed. The likelihood of that is minimal.

Another thing about this video, if the youtuber "accidentally " recorded it, why deliberately post it for the whole world to see? Did he "accidentally" post it also?

It's a big stretch from accidentally recording something to deliberately posting the recorded content online.
You can see him adjusting the camera several times. He absolutely knew he was recording.

Funny enough, I probably couldn’t do that if I tried.

IMO, he’s not on his way to becoming Keith Morrison. He was being shady to get the scoop. I personally didn’t like his style, whoever he is.

Not in an abduction case. Media attention is absolutely vital, which is why you have families who (rightfully) complain when their case doesn’t get as much attention as others.

I’ve never seen law enforcement tell the family not to make public pleas. I’ve seen it in homicide cases, but never anything else.

But at this stage we’ve got an unsolved missing persons case. It’s not an abduction case, a homicide, an animal attack or a suicide at this point. And there are more clues to suggest that LE has asked family *not* to discuss this missing persons case publicly than examples of refusals by BM to talk. So he’s complying yeah (except when a Youtuber lies about secretly recording him).

He seems so believable and earnest to me. Also very pro-active. Changed my perception of it all.

It's interesting that a number of people here see a "believable," "earnest," even "charming" Barry Morphew here. I can't say that I see the same. I see a man trying out a number of stories, some of which do not make a lot of sense. Also, it's worth noting that the man speaking to Barry here --- Tyson Draper --- did not find him believable at all and said that his sense was that Barry was lying. Now, that doesn't mean Barry is in fact lying --- Draper could be wrong, of course --- but I think it's important to note that the guy who was speaking to Barry in person did not find him convincing. Some of you are possibly being misled by Barry's Midwestern mannerisms. Yes, Midwesterners tend to be very nice people, but just because a person has Midwestern mannerisms doesn't mean he isn't capable of doing something terrible.

Also, what was Barry doing that would cause him to be shirtless, wet and "frantic" looking --- Draper's description --- and in his truck, a quarter of a mile from his house (with several people, including his mother, in the truck with him)? Is he out there, pretending to be looking for Suzanne? For the mother's benefit perhaps? As if he's going to find Suzanne (or evidence) a quarter mile from his house and three weeks after she went missing? If so, I can't help but think that Barry is doing a lot of acting here, and none of it is very convincing.

All of this, of course, is just my opinion, and I continue to hope that I am wrong about him.

Last edited:

Law enforcement might tell the family not to publicize certain things, but not to remain silent (except in exceptional ransom cases in the past).

Right. LE asks witnesses not to talk when LE thinks statements from those witnesses can damage the integrity of the investigation or prosecution. Not when they’re actively searching for a missing person, perhaps kidnapped.

Why would LE tell family not to talk? To avoid a witness changing his story based on statements from other witnesses. To avoid tipping a suspect off with what information LE has. To avoid family accidentally divulging private information.

None of these (valid!) reasons have anything to do with finding the missing person. It’s to protect the integrity of testimony and eventual prosecution.

But at this stage we’ve got an unsolved missing persons case. It’s not an abduction case, a homicide, an animal attack or a suicide at this point. And there are more clues to suggest that LE has asked family *not* to discuss this missing persons case publicly than examples of refusals by BM to talk. So he’s complying yeah (except when a Youtuber lies about secretly recording him).
BM knows what this is, as if he didn’t do it, abduction is the only other option. Even if he for some reason believes that Tony the Tiger did this, why would he take that chance?

If someone said to me “I wouldn’t talk to the media if my loved one was kidnapped,” I would stay the hell away from them.

That’s a person who cares more about themselves, than anyone else. And in the off chance he was told not to talk to the media, then I would expect him to still do what every other person seems to do in a similar situation.

Speak up.

Oh well he did a very good job for an impromptu interview alone with a very large man with a known temper.

I agree with you here...there were a few instances throughout the video recording of BM by TD that it seemed like a potentially dangerous situation. At times, I worried for TD's safety. Then reflecting on BM's mother sitting in his truck close by...the saving grace against a explosive reaction from BM. Not good.

That’s exactly what he said

the “let me show you what happened” quote might be understandable if he is talking about the bike being found. If he is innocent, he knows for a fact he didn’t stage it. If he is going off what his friends told him, who found the bike before he arrived back from Denver, he obviously trusts what they told him and is relaying that info to the interviewer. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum