Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning and thank you for the clarification on the trail. I brought it up as I was just wondering why he even brought up the Colorado Trail in the first place? It just seemed an odd thing to say to TD..the trail runs all the way from here to Denver..

JMO
Good morning all...I was thinking about that last night as I fell asleep. Was it some kind of psychological slip that he mentioned the Colorado trail goes all the way to Denver? If the trail has different access points along the way (some that can be accessed by vehicles) could BM have accidentally killed SM on Friday or Saturday before MD, panicked and wrapped her up in a blanket or tarp or something, put Suzanne’s body in his truck, threw the bike in the truck as well and then on the way out of town BM places the bike down the hill to make it look like Suzanne was knocked from her bike, also places a personal article of Suzanne’s on the other side of the road to lead searchers in the opposite direction (had formed the abduction theory in his mind and wanted to get LE to think Suzanne was knocked off her bike and forced into a vehicle dropping her phone, water bottle, necklace or whatever the article is during the struggle), then BM continued on the highway or main road towards Denver, stopped somewhere along the way at one of the access points where there were no other vehicles or hikers around, entered the trail carrying Suzanne, hiked up or down the trail putting a little distance from his entry point (he is big & strong so could have carried her body a short distance), found a remote location to veer off trail and conceal or bury her body, returned to the trail, hiked back to his truck, then continued on to Denver creating his alibi & disposing of body in the same trip?

Questions re this scenario: Did LE impound BM’s truck with Indiana plates and then return it to him? It wouldn’t be unusual for dogs to smell Suzanne’s scent in any of their vehicles. But don’t dogs hit on a different scent if the person is deceased? If he put her in his truck soon after she died and she was only in the truck for an hour +/- maybe it would be too early for dogs to smell decomposition? Would rain hitting the back of a truck wash away the scent? Maybe our WE experts and those with LE background or knowledge of criminal forensics could help answer? I wonder if LE is currently searching the Colorado trail to Denver with search & rescue dogs? It would take awhile to do a thorough search and LE has been quiet because they don’t want to alert the public to this search so curious people, media, volunteers, etc. don’t come to the area and disturb them or contaminate a possible crime scene?

On a side note I was wondering about the zip lock bag TD found that the deer were interested in with the food in it...maybe BM didn’t know how long it would take to carry out the disposal and he couldn’t be seen so he packed food? But I don’t think he could risk being off the grid for 4 days and if you just killed your wife would you pack dessert? Or label the bag? So the zip lock bag of food was most likely from the search or another hiker. Still I hope LE got it just in case.

Usual disclaimer applies - all speculation and MOO!!

Does anyone have photos showing the ravine where BM says the bike was found? I'm curious to know how steep/deep it is and what the bottom is like (water, grass, rocks, boulders, etc.)
If IIRC, TD stated in that interview with another YT channel, that at the bottom was huge boulders that would likely incapacitate if not kill someone.

Maybe someone else heard this too? MOO for now and I will try to go back and listen!

That feels mean for me to have said. But in all truthfulness, his whole conversation was about finding evidence - which I do realize is important, too. But at this point, the *most important* thing to find would be my missing person! Was he out there yelling for her at all, just in case? Or, does he know for 100% certain shes not out there? :(
Good point. Also, did he ever reference SM by name? I don’t remember hearing that, if so.

A contractor, who would normally be measuring things all day long year after year, does not know the difference between radius and diameter.
Even a 200 mile diameter would be absurd for a missing person search except maybe in the Sahara. There's vegetation of some kind everywhere, even if it's sage, or scrub, or trees, or grasses, or cornfields.... Some places in the Salida area, as I understand it, you can't even get a GPS to lock onto a satellite. That means there's no direct line to the sky. This means a drone search would be hampered in many—maybe not all—places by the same obstacles.
Drone searches use GPS? Even if they didn't, there would still be obstacles between the drone and the ground. There's poor line of sight in this area.

Agree to disagree :)

I don’t think we know what LE found related to this case as of yet.

As far as being cleared, I always think of Marc Klass, who did anything and everything to clear his name, so that LE could focus on finding his daughter. MOO
And I think of Mark Lunsford, who wasn't cleared until after the arrest of John Couey.

JMO

LE doesn't communicate with the public on a daily basis (and rarely contradicts a suspect publicly) but the media does. I think that BM is actively trying to play the spin/PR game with the public and with all of his associates, family, friends, new acquaintances, anyone/everyone, every chance he gets. Remember how the church back in Indiana immediately got a report of "a mountain lion attack"--who would have put that out there except for BM or one of his relatives, at his direction? Just an example of how he's taking every opportunity to spin things his way. Bad people openly lie , even if they know they might be fact-cheked. Someone will believe them, and that's what counts. Look at our politicians who do this every day. They openly lie and hope that by the time they're fact-checked, the public has moved on or they miss that news flash.
Prefer not to argue with you. That was my opinion and please don’t bring politics into this thread!

I can't find it either...in the archives it reads
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 11, 2020

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results.

The search resumed in the early morning hours of May 11 with Search and Rescue. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tac Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.

In all over 100 personnel were used during the search, however by late afternoon on May 11 Ms Morphew had not been found.

This will be an ongoing investigation into this matter and the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office asks that any person or persons who may have information please call the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office at 719-539-2596 or Chaffee County Crime Stoppers at 719-539-2599.
Thanks for re-posting this.
Yep, no bike except what someone told LE. The bike thing is hearsay: it could all have been made up.

A contractor, who would normally be measuring things all day long year after year, does not know the difference between radius and diameter.

I see his use of "radius" as just trying to make it sound impressive, he probably didn't even think on a cognitive level. I feel that he liked the sound of it. He appears to be all about denigrating LE's abilities and protocols. I have not ever heard that he was greatful that the FBI was called in??? I'd be greatful for that. Instead he is flouting his efforts and sorry, I don't think he can match LE. But he wants everyone to think so. Expert military friends, 201,000 dollar reward, blame it on cougar, cause he's a big brawny outdoorsman. I see a big BSer that is already arguing his court case by trying to tear down the evidence collected by LE. Moo

Even a 200 mile diameter would be absurd for a missing person search except maybe in the Sahara. There's vegetation of some kind everywhere, even if it's sage, or scrub, or trees, or grasses, or cornfields.... Some places in the Salida area, as I understand it, you can't even get a GPS to lock onto a satellite. That means there's no direct line to the sky. This means a drone search would be hampered in many—maybe not all—places by the same obstacles.
Drone searches use GPS? Even if they didn't, there would still be obstacles between the drone and the ground. There's poor line of sight in this area.
He must have meant "area", but you'd think he would be more knowledgeable, given his career.

Last edited:
A YouTube content creator known as "Dad with a Phone" posted a video today where he discussed his communications with Tyson. He interviewed him yesterday (wonderful interview) and today, he reported that the poor guy has been so viciously attacked by people because of the extraordinary situation he lucked into and that he was kind enough to share with the rest of us. Remember, law enforcement can LIE to suspects and it's "okay," so why is Tyson's little white lie (to a possible murderer) being characterized as a horrible, disgusting act? It was done with the exact same intentions as law enforcement when they lie to suspects--to get to the truth. Apparently, a lot of other crime channels are bewildered and quite jealous that a "nobody" like Tyson lucked into this interview, so now they're focusing on a side issue--his minor lie--and they and the public are attacking him to the point that he's felt the need to disappear for a while. Very sad, but I'm not surprised. What motive would Tyson have to "fake" or stage an interview with a stranger like BM, who is a murder suspect, and risk getting himself arrested for helping a murder suspect, lying or misleading authorities, etc? People would rather go on the attack than take ten seconds to logically and rationally think this situation through.
When was BM named a suspect by LE?

A YouTube content creator known as "Dad with a Phone" posted a video today where he discussed his communications with Tyson. He interviewed him yesterday (wonderful interview) and today, he reported that the poor guy has been so viciously attacked by people because of the extraordinary situation he lucked into and that he was kind enough to share with the rest of us. Remember, law enforcement can LIE to suspects and it's "okay," so why is Tyson's little white lie (to a possible murderer) being characterized as a horrible, disgusting act? It was done with the exact same intentions as law enforcement when they lie to suspects--to get to the truth. Apparently, a lot of other crime channels are bewildered and quite jealous that a "nobody" like Tyson lucked into this interview, so now they're focusing on a side issue--his minor lie--and they and the public are attacking him to the point that he's felt the need to disappear for a while. Very sad, but I'm not surprised. What motive would Tyson have to "fake" or stage an interview with a stranger like BM, who is a murder suspect, and risk getting himself arrested for helping a murder suspect, lying or misleading authorities, etc? People would rather go on the attack than take ten seconds to logically and rationally think this situation through.

Eh, YouTube guy is not even a mall cop or a licensed PI. He maybe able to fashion himself as a reporter working for DWP. For me, it's as simple as he's not LE to the bolded question. But, that's just me.

However, I don't believe this guy and BM staged anything and absolutely believe it was a chance encounter and he was shocked that BM talked to him. I didn't care for that secret set up but don't think he's a bad guy at all. I'm not shocked that he caught a ton of flack for his video set up but he should not be threatened in any way, period. On the flip side, I'm not surprised people are angry because he literally/physically inserted himself into a active investigation with the missing person's family. I was not at all left with the impression he was sincere with helping BM put boots to the ground and search. That felt a little gross for me. IMO.

More than 100 help search for missing woman in Chaffee County

In all over 100 personnel were used during the search.

The search continued Tuesday with only dogs. Sheriff John Spezze said there is no need for volunteers. Sheriff Spezze would not comment on whether or not Morphew bike was recovered. By late afternoon Tuesday, Morphew had not been found.

snipped
Missing Mother: Video Shows Remote Area Where Suzanne Morphew Was Biking

May 21, 2020 at 1:40 pm
Missing Mother: Video Shows Remote Area Where Suzanne Morphew Was Biking

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS) – Video taken by Copter4 on Thursday shows Suzanne Morphew’s home and the remote part of Chaffee County she was believed to be biking in before she disappeared. Morphew, 49, was last seen on Mother’s Day, May 10.

suzanne-morphew-2.jpg

Suzanne Morphew (credit: Morphew family)

Morphew’s husband was in Denver, her family says, and a neighbor reported her missing when she didn’t return from her bike ride. Morphew’s bicycle was recovered but investigators have not said anything about its condition. Investigators are now following up on tips — and holding her home.

Copter-Feed-of-Morphews-House_frame_15239.jpeg

(credit: CBS)

Copter-Feed-of-Morphews-House_frame_9881-1.jpeg

“…the house continues to be held by law enforcement during this open investigation through a search warrant that has been sealed by the court,” the sheriff’s office stated.

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze stated that it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance.

Copter-Feed-of-Morphews-House_frame_4315.jpeg

I thought someone had found a quote from the Sheriff that her bike was found (maybe last night?) - but I can't find it now - most everything regarding the bike is from the media reports - who picked it up from the nephew IMO.

I see his use of "radius" as just trying to make it sound impressive, he probably didn't even think on a cognitive level. I feel that he liked the sound of it. He appears to be all about denigrating LE's abilities and protocols. I have not ever heard that he was greatful that the FBI was called in??? I'd be greatful for that. Instead he is flouting his efforts and sorry, I don't think he can match LE. But he wants everyone to think so. Expert military friends, 201,000 dollar reward, blame it on cougar, cause he's a big brawny outdoorsman. I see a big BSer that is already arguing his court case by trying to tear down the evidence collected by LE. Moo
bbm
Ita.
That's the image BM seems to want to portray.
Although --and this is speculation -- some people use enhancements to bulk up.
The unfortunate side effects can be spontaneously flying into a 'roid rage.
Imo.

Until that worksite dig, I thought maybe this poor woman was buried in a clandestine grave somewhere familiar to the person responsible. I still go back to that thought today because it’s possible they were looking for other evidence but not human remains. Sadly, like many, I don’t believe she’s alive and was probably deceased immediately after whatever event happened.

IMO, the person responsible is known to her. Think many of us agree with this. It could be by the person she should be able to trust the most or someone else. I do believe this family was connected to many people through their personal lives, work, church, etc. The key is the person is known to her, IMO. That can spread the suspect pool out more.

I don’t believe this was a random crime of opportunity or a weirdo that saw her in a grocery store one day and followed her home, then waited for the moment to strike. IMO, local, state and federal investigators don’t get involved with misadventure cases. So that one is ruled out for me. Wild animal attack. That’s a hard pass for me.

Whoever this person is, IMO, would be familiar with her day-to-day activities. I’m talking well beyond a bike ride.

At this moment, I don’t believe the murder event happened in the home. I think it’s possible the remains site is not that far away from where she was murdered. In this scenario, did she willingly leave with a trusted person or did a trusted person show up at the home uninvited? But then that damn bike keeps giving me pause. Tomorrow, I will probably change my mind….
I keep flip-flopping between “it happened in the home” OR she was taken on what appeared (to her) an innocent “outing/hike” with someone, that ended badly, in which case I lean toward premeditation :(

I also feel this case could involve someone else, not necessarily involved with the “deed”, but as the catalyst to a volatile loss of control in which case premeditation goes out the door? In this scenario, it happened in the home. All MOO.

At this point, we are all “starving” for some tidbit that will further our speculation, but crickets! SO many questions.
A burning question for me is, when was the last time someone heard SM’s voice? May 8th? Texts don’t count. I’d also like to know where BM was “working” the 8th and the 9th. Was he “working” the entire weekend?

I have many other questions as likely do all of you! Driving me batty. :confused:

Thanks for re-posting this.
Yep, no bike except what someone told LE. The bike thing is hearsay: it could all have been made up.

Now that I'm thinking about this...just speculating here, LE has no reason whatsoever to lie about the bike not being found. Besides with that many involved in the search (100’s) surely someone would have leaked it by now (if it was indeed found) Some of those bikes cost thousands. I think Barry did stage the bike and I think it was taken. By the time Barry arrived at the location he left it, he made the quick assumption LE had found it, probably asked someone what they did with the bike…. Bam as “Warwick7” says. LE would have to suspect Barry at that point. Why not?

That is why there is no mention of the bike by LE. IMO

Last edited:
This Sheriff's statement references a temporary closure and a found item. There's no mention of a bicycle.
Where's a link for LE statement that a bike was found? Exact date and time?
AFAIK we only have non-LE say-so that a bike was involved, found, seen, picked up, touched....anything at all.
LE normally doesn't publicly comment on items found. They refused to identify the item found in the Faye Swetlik case until after her body was found and her killer identified.

The Sheriff has made it clear to media he isn't going to comment on items found.

When asked about the bike Friday, Sheriff Spezze said he would not comment on the items found.

Chaffee County Sheriff Updates Search For Suzanne Morphew, Encourages Tips From Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheForgottenLives