Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was comparing a note Barry left at a corner market describing Suzanne riding a blue bike with a helmet. Writing was the same. Have no idea why food was placed there with “Day 4” written on it.

I agree with a previous poster that speculated it was a dropped bagged food meal. Some hikers/backpackers will bag food & label it.

Although, it did give me horrible flashbacks to the Sam Sayers case and baggies with supplies being littered off trails all over in the hopes she would find one. She went missing during a day hike in the summer of 2018.

yea sick of hearing about the sheriff. He's on it alright focusing on her husband, not preserving evidence from an abductor. Not impressed at all. Poor woman is gone 3 weeks..…..
We have no way to know what was or was not preserved as evidence, but considering the ERT (evidence recovery team) from the FBI was brought in, I wouldn’t take BM’s word at face value that everything was screwed up.

Regardless though, my question was not about the sheriff, it was what do you feel is missing from this investigation, considering the various LE partners involved?

Last edited:
And there are decades of statistics to support this.

Women are most often killed by an intimate partner. Married women are most often killed by their husbands. Period, full stop.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvs03.pdf
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/newsbeat-51572665
Women are most likely to be killed by partner or ex

Nearly Half of All Murdered Women Are Killed by Romantic Partners
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...it’s likely a duck.

Another great saying involving animals - if you hear hooves, look for horses, not zebras.

I understand there are some that wish in this case there was a zebra involved, but I’m pretty comfortable for now assuming we’ve got a good ol’ horse instead.

Yeah BM seems like a bit of a bs-er in the clip. I was on board for a while, when he talked about LE totally screwing up the bike recovery scene. If they did haul it up without even taking a few photos, that could be concerning. Then he took control-his guys searching, his Army Ranger buddy and the 400 deployments-although Rangers specifically undertake missions-if I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, 400 missions, which is plausible. But why would he speak to this guy, yet never put out a plea on FB, or with a trusted member of the press, a family friend maybe. It’s like he’s running his construction crew to solve the case of his missing wife cause he can do it better than LE.

The only emotion I witnessed in that entire video was his anger toward the sheriff. I don’t see an ounce of grief or worry or concern for his wife.

I’ve seen genuine concern and grief when confronted with what is happening with a missing loved one. LH, AS, and even SC....they all had heartache and genuine pain. I don’t see that here, imo. Not even a little. Explanations and alibis trailing off in his words. Nothing for his wife.
IMO moo JMO
Let’s say just for arguments sake, BM is innocent. If so, he may indeed be angry with the sheriff if the sheriff allowed others to touch the bike and/or allowing others to contaminate the scene of an abduction. I’m not saying he is innocent. All I’m saying is if he is, I imagine he is angry at the world right now.

The only emotion I witnessed in that entire video was his anger toward the sheriff. I don’t see an ounce of grief or worry or concern for his wife.

I’ve seen genuine concern and grief when confronted with what is happening with a missing loved one. LH, AS, and even SC....they all had heartache and genuine pain. I don’t see that here, imo. Not even a little. Explanations and alibis trailing off in his words. Nothing for his wife.
IMO moo JMO
Yes, he had nothing good to say about the sheriff's office. It was "his people" that are doing the ground work. Sounds like he said he came back at 9p that evening.

Sharp observation. He wasn't there, but he knows what happened? No, me thinks he was there and that's not what happened. It seems like he is still trying to drive the narrative. He sure didn't seem to mind talking to stranger either. But if any contradictory questions had been asked, I imagine things would have gotten quite tense. Moo.

Didn’t Letecia Stauch talk to a stranger ?

I agree with a previous poster that speculated it was a dropped bagged food meal. Some hikers/backpackers will bag food & label it.

Although, it did give me horrible flashbacks to the Sam Sayers case and baggies with supplies being littered off trails all over in the hopes she would find one. She went missing during a day hike in the summer of 2018.
Did you compare the handwriting on the bag and note? They are both Barry’s writing. Don’t know what it means at all.

Charming and personable? I honestly found him quite the opposite. Detached. Casual. But with an underlying edge. IMO.

I agree about the hand motions. Air traffic control type gesticulations for awhile there.

I wonder how LE will interpret this video.

I wonder if what he has told this stranger jives with his story to LE. He is a guy that is used to laying things out how he wants others to see them. MOO

Last edited:
I watched the video, not sure what to think, but did notice two things:

He doesnt appear to have a wedding band on (40 sec mark of video). Not sure if he normally wears one or not (SM has a big rock). Not sure if that means anything, simply an observation.

Also, the exaggerations. As mentioned, 400 deployments? Did he say they searched a 200 mile radius? If I remember geometry correctly, isn't that around 125,000 square miles? Um, not possible. Not at all.

Beyond that I lean more toward not believable, but without a baseline it's hard to know...MOO

Some members of the 75th Army Ranger Company "deploy" every night while "on duty". In that type of environment and terminology, 400 deployments would be equal to about two years of service time. I don't believe it is an exageration.
<modsnip: no MSM link to support info stated as fact> IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Charming and personable? I honestly found him quite the opposite. Detached. Casual. But with an underlying edge. IMO.

I agree about the hand motions. Air traffic control type gesticulations for awhile there.

I wonder how LE will interpret this video.

I wonder if what he has told this stranger jives with his story to LE. He is a guy that is used to laying things out how he wants others to see them. MOO

If a mountain lion ANYONE away, there would have been a trail. People should have caught it, and the dogs are specifically trained to fins trails like that. Obviously, the rain negates that. This is vertical country, rain, after striking the earth, seeks the lowest point, usually following a trail. IMO

JMO
Ive had a tough time letting go of a possible mountain lion mainly because of all the areas in the entire country where that could have happened, the area around her home is one area where I could see it possibly happening.

The part about an officer seeing a moutain lion go in front of a vehicle is interesting because LE should know if that is true or not.

But I agree that search dogs should have been able to pick up a trail of her getting dragged away if that was the case. And if a mountain lion did attack her on that road then would the bike have ended up that far off the road? Possibly if it charged and pounced at her from the side.

I think I am going to have to go back to what the Sheriff said. I think he said there were no signs of that and it was unlikely.

Im going to have to relisten to the video, but my immediate takeaways are, a) lack of emotion from a husband who cant find his wife; b) Overcompensating credibility (400 Iraq tours, huh?!?); c) Excuses (well it rained so if it was a Mountain Lion (If it was a lion, there would be a blood trail, scraps of clothing, etc.)....and d) he sure started with a detailed description of the bike location/placement, etc, just before cutting himself off and saying he wasnt even there. So. Why wasnt he there? Why didnt he come straight home when LE were called? He was only an hour or two away, right? And why does there seem to be a lack of communication between dad and daughters through this? Why is the neighbor the middleman, other than for the sake of checking the house? I agree with who said this video did him no favors, but left a few more questions - for me at least.
Great post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member