Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, do we really believe a wet, slightly wet, whatever, BM was actually committing a crime or covering up a crime in that moment?
I’m thinking that maybe he was just trying to convince those with him of his sincerity in his belief that SM was either taken by a lion, driven off the road and tumbled into the stream or was abducted from the immediate area. I mean if that’s what you want people to believe, you gotta “play” the part. JMO

If we were the jury on this case right now we would have zero to go on to determine his guilt or innocence. This is what is making this so difficult... LE for good reason I assume has given the public little info on this case. It is starting to feel like a cold case surrounded by mystery

I don't believe that the bridge can be seen from CR 225 (automobile access). CR 226 does follow the Colorado Trail (or vice versa) farther up, but CR 226 in a two track jeep trail in the rocks used for power line access, and by hikers who prefer to walk in the shade of the forest rather than the intense sunlight of the power line clear cut. Fooses Dam Bridge was originally a pedestrian bridge on the Colorado Trail, but has been taken over by mountain bikers using the descent trail from Monarch crest. It is now too dangerous for hikers. IMO

Fooses Dam Bridge:
(1) has a very fast, steep approach with an abrupt right and left turn sequence to enter the bridge

(2) has an escape trail which only goes a few feet downhill and ends abruptly at a confined field of boulders

(3) is the only bridge in the area that is located in a ravine

(4) is a thoroughly logical place for a bicyclist on a routine morning ride to have an injurious mishap.
IMO

I’m interested in knowing why you have that “gut feeling” that he is guilty. Is it because he is the husband? Or because he isn’t out there begging for help to find her? Or because LE has stayed so silent?
SABBM

The bolded has me the most concerned.
As well as the lack of anything to identify a kidnapped woman.
Nothing.

Well I have been teetering on the fence about Barry’s guilt.

Without knowing any evidence LE has I thought he just might be innocent. Everyone kept posting about him not speaking, or the way he acts or doesn’t act, the way LE won’t make a statement, etc.

Then the Tyson Draper video came out and I began to feel Barry is innocent for sure because he was relaxed, calm, and seemed genuinely interested in sharing his theories on what happened to Suzanne. The majority of posters here said the video was staged by both Barry and Tyson. I do not believe that.

Then Tyson spoke and said not only was it not staged, but that he thinks Barry IS guilty by what we didn’t see, the look in his eyes.
He also said Barry was nervous and his story appeared rehearsed.

I am anxious to get off the fence!

Here we have a stranger talking to Barry and having the feeling the guy is guilty. Now I don’t know Draper but that is his gut instinct.

I don’t know how all you guys came to the conclusion that Barry's guilty but I have been on WS long enough to realize you all pretty much call it every time.:rolleyes:

I’m interested in knowing why you have that “gut feeling” that he is guilty. Is it because he is the husband? Or because he isn’t out there begging for help to find her? Or because LE has stayed so silent?
All of the above and then some - for me it’s what wasn’t done and said at least so far and of course the DV statistics IMO

Well I have been teetering on the fence about Barry’s guilt.

Without knowing any evidence LE has I thought he just might be innocent. Everyone kept posting about him not speaking, or the way he acts or doesn’t act, the way LE won’t make a statement, etc.

Then the Tyson Draper video came out and I began to feel Barry is innocent for sure because he was relaxed, calm, and seemed genuinely interested in sharing his theories on what happened to Suzanne. The majority of posters here said the video was staged by both Barry and Tyson. I do not believe that.

Then Tyson spoke and said not only was it not staged, but that he thinks Barry IS guilty by what we didn’t see, the look in his eyes.
He also said Barry was nervous and his story appeared rehearsed.

I am anxious to get off the fence!

Here we have a stranger talking to Barry and having the feeling the guy is guilty. Now I don’t know Draper but that is his gut instinct.

I don’t know how all you guys came to the conclusion that Barry's guilty but I have been on WS long enough to realize you all pretty much call it every time.:rolleyes:

I have an unfortunate gut feeling that he is guilty because LE is actively trying to figure out the last time anyone saw or spoke to SM. If she disappeared on a bike ride, that makes no sense. And if she didn’t go on a bike ride, the bike looks really bad for BM.

BBM:

I actually think it was anything but a slip.

Denver came up more than once in that tete-a-tete with TD.

I'm surprised he didn't mention that mountain lions have been known to carry humans all the way from Salida to Denver.

The fact that he brought Denver up so often has me looking anywhere but Denver.

Misdirection.

"Look over there, not here."

JMO.
He directed TD to look in a certain spot nearby as well. All of his "scenarios" are right in the vicinity..mountain lion, abduction, crash. I'd guess she is in Denver.

I was still reserving a small spot in my mind for this case to be an abduction or maybe SM walked away to start a new life but when I heard BM say "let me tell you what happened" in the TD video my heart dropped.

BM as a Hunter, on Not?
Crime Online article said:
“The source also said that Barry Morphew was an avid hunter, a claim that is supported by photos on Morphew’s social media accounts.”
Missing Suzanne Morphew may have had ‘angst’ about move to Colorado, family friend says [EXCLUSIVE]
@Truecolors :) Thank you very much for ^ and quoting May 22 crimeonline.com. Good memory.

From his soc media accounts I don't remember any pix w him & animals in the field. My we-don't-know point was prompted by someone saying ~ since his home had animal head taxidermy on the walls, he must be a hunter. Imo that's possible, but not a sure thing, not so convincing as, say, apic of Cabela's-camouflaged BM kneeling w animal on ground next to him. I've forgotten how hunter/non-hunter status ties into other case factors. We have such limited verified info about the case, easy to get immersed in distractions.
Again, I appreciate your response. Thx.

I don’t know the evidence, so I can’t say if he’s guilty of anything.

My point is that the behavior of law enforcement is telling me they are handling a homicide investigation, with BM being the prime suspect.

I don’t know what led them to this conclusion, or if they are even correct.
Yes and it is strange that friends of Suzanne and Barry aren’t talking. I suppose the town is so small and everyone is known, so no one wants to talk to the media. Or maybe since they have only lived there 2 1/2 years, they aren’t well known. Thing is, they are both described as friendly and outgoing.

I am puzzled as to why LE asked neighbors to hold onto surveillance videos but do not want to view them at this time. That is the strangest part of all this. Why not view them now? So weird.

Yes and it is strange that friends of Suzanne and Barry aren’t talking. I suppose the town is so small and everyone is known, so no one wants to talk to the media. Or maybe since they have only lived there 2 1/2 years, they aren’t well known. Thing is, they are both described as friendly and outgoing.

I am puzzled as to why LE asked neighbors to hold onto surveillance videos but do not want to view them at this time. That is the strangest part of all this. Why not view them now? So weird.
I think they’ve already gathered what they know is likely relevant, and want to make sure people save it in case they discover something down the road.

I have no doubt they’ve gathered everything within a certain relevant radius of the home.

Your post just reminded me of something from early in the investigation. Does anyone remember the gentleman that spoke of seeing a vehicle on the trails or road that he didn’t feel belonged there? We speculated what that could have meant and I remember posting, perhaps and “out-of-state” licence plate?? Didn’t TD mention that BM’s truck was still sporting out-0f-state plates, as in Indiana??

HMMMMMM!

Ed: lol changed Province to State :)

Interesting!

In the matter of a missing loved one, it would make sense to go to journalists and media in order to publicize your wife’s disappearance. Unfortunately, for BM, this means that a journalist is going to ask him: when was the last time you saw SM, where were you on the days preceding Mother’s Day, when was your last communication with SM, are your daughters supportive of your innocence, when did you last see your daughters, did you and SM argue about anything in the days before her disappearance. BM is unable/unwilling to risk these types of inquiries.

This makes a ton of sense. Plus, it’s a reason he would choose to speak to TD. It gets his side out, while controlling the conversation. Plus, it looks like he is just got duped.

I don’t believe they staged it together, but I do think it’s possible they each took advantage of the other. I think it’s likely BM knew that camera was still recording, despite TD’s denial. They both pretended they didn’t know. MOO

I don’t know the evidence, so I can’t say if he’s guilty of anything.

My point is that the behavior of law enforcement is telling me they are handling a homicide investigation, with BM being the prime suspect.

I don’t know what led them to this conclusion, or if they are even correct.

Last edited:
FOX 31 Denver: Mountain lion captured in garage of Longmont home.
Mountain lion captured in garage of Longmont home

For people who seem to think the mountain lion attacks are a myth
Your link went to a story about a mountain lion asleep in someone's garage, who was then safely tranq'd and removed.
And he's a very cute kitty, no two ways about it.
Your text though mentioned "lion attacks", which has nothing to do with this story.
No one at all was attacked.

I'm pretty sure I've followed every thread here since day 1, and I don't think anyone has said mountain lion attacks are myth.
To be fair, I believe it's been stated and documented with links, that they do happen, but they are in fact, rare.

ETA post above from Hatfield:
"The one thing I have been thinking about lately is if someone plants a bike scene and they want to be away from the home, then they need someone to discover that scene for them.

Enter a couple people that were supposed to come home that day but were running late. The person may have lucked out there was a friendly obligating neighbor to lend a hand."

My thoughts: I imagine that the bike would have been found reasonably early in the search for SM even without the neighbor going over to the house, if for no other reason than it was located relatively close to her house.

I really like the point you make about the stager needing someone to discover the scene. Hadn't really given this much thought till reading your post. But yes, I agree. Otherwise, the stager can't get their desired (alternative) narrative about the missing person out there quickly and, if they're an obvious POI from the get-go especially (vs some unknown or random abductor/murderer), it raises the likelihood of them becoming a suspect to LE. Hmm. There aren't many obvious POIs here (as far as we can tell), so to me, this adds credence to the theory that if the scene was staged, then BM was likely responsible for staging it.

I think they’ve already gathered what they know is likely relevant, and want to make sure people save it in case they discover something down the road.

I have no doubt they’ve gathered everything within a certain relevant radius of the home.
But what if one of the neighbor videos hold evidence of Barry’s guilt? That would seal the case for them.

Or, if there is some type of stranger abduction, they would be derelict in their duty not to review the videos. Just strange.

I can only guess they feel they have an airtight case against BM. If so, why not arrest him?

concerning #4, if she had a mishap, she likely would have broken bones and would have been found that night.

Found by who? I think that is a serious question at the very center of this missing person search. IMO

concerning #4, if she had a mishap, she likely would have broken bones and would have been found that night.

They keep referring to 400 tips that LE is investigating. MOO, they are spending their time following leads (leads that possibly lead to asking for specific surveillance tapes) rather than sitting through thousands of hours of surveillance tape from the area.

But what if one of the neighbor videos hold evidence of Barry’s guilt? That would seal the case for them.

Or, if there is some type of stranger abduction, they would be derelict in their duty not to review the videos. Just strange.

I can only guess they feel they have an airtight case against BM. If so, why not arrest him?
Let’s say hypothetically, they have him on video dumping the bike.

Yes, that’s damning, but it wouldn’t be enough to support a murder charge. In that case they’d be able to charge him with a lesser crime, but they probably wouldn’t do it at this point.

I do think there is something strong like that guiding them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980