Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO
Assuming that is the exact spot where bicycle was located with the ribbon on tree, it just looked more to me that it could have been swung and thrown from the road surface by an individual. A wreck from the road I would have guessed the bike would have gotten tangled in the brush more closer to the top nearer the road. But there is no way to really tell for sure as we discussed based on speed, growth being shorter, and other things.

Yes, I agree--the condition of the bicycle will provide a lot of clues as to what happened--a vehicle striking a bicycle will more than likely bend the main frame--even if the frame is crommoly steel...I know this because I was hit by a vehicle while riding long distance on a highway in California and the impact of the car totaled my bicycle. Simply throwing a bicycle off the highway into bushes or Suzanne accidentally riding off the road could cause her bicycle brakes to jam and it might twist off center her handle bars (I've crashed off fire trails a few times) but the bicycle wouldn't be seriously damaged, IMO.

I still go back to this: IF we believe the bike was actually found where BM claims it was found, how many scenarios actually make sense with the bike found there and the personal items found several days later in a different location? I can only come up with a few:
a) SM went on a bike ride, was abducted, and per threw her items out the window of the car on the way out of town
b) SM went on a bike ride, was abducted, and SM threw those items out the window of the car as a clue as she was being taken
c) BM staged the bike, hoping to make it look like an animal attack. LE didn't buy it, BM (or accomplish) throws items out a couple of days later hoping to change the narrative to abduction.
d) BM kills SM, and either throws items out in a panic or SM loses them/discards them as part of the attack. Bike is staged after the fact.

For the life of me, I can't come up with a good reason for BM to stage both the bike and the personal items at the same time. The initial narrative on this (almost certainly from BM) was an animal attack - the personal items in another location don't support that narrative. So, if one is to believe BM planted the bike, that leaves the personal items as a mistake or planted after the fact. Maybe someone can come up with other plausible scenarios (and I do know we haven't received confirmation from LE that there ever was a bike - though, if not, then one would have to ask why BM is lying about it) that can explain both? JMO, MOO.

Well, first Suzanne is flung off her bike (which bounces and goes into a ravine) but makes a dash for it, with animal chasing her. That is, after all, a thing mountain lions do (knock people off bikes and chase them - it happened here in L.A., victim was a man), While fleeing, Suzanne instinctively goes for her phone, just as the lion leaps!

Or, Suzanne is struck and killed and the hit and run driver puts her body in their car and tosses the phone into the bushes, so as not to be tracked. It pings last known location, is found.

Neither of these explain why no BOLO and why LE seems to have ruled out abduction, especially after all this time. Surely whatever theory they have for this case must be increasingly gaining traction, or they'd have to go back to the drawing board. I hope that's what they'd do.

The bike has to be somewhere. While LE hasn't confirmed where it was, for obvious reasons, they've also never said "Suzanne's bike was still in the garage" or "There was no bike." The neighbor reported a bike ride, then someone found the bike on May 10 and the search was launched (as if it were possible that Suzanne were in fact injured and wandering around or in need of medical aid, collapsed somewhere nearby). They wouldn't have had a warrant for the house at that point (IMO), and I would think that when BM arrived around 9:30, they would have gone inside with his consent, to begin listening to him tell what he knew about that day.

But never did LE act as if it was an abduction or the community was in danger or needed to look out for an evil stranger passing through.

I still go back to this: IF we believe the bike was actually found where BM claims it was found, how many scenarios actually make sense with the bike found there and the personal items found several days later in a different location? I can only come up with a few:
a) SM went on a bike ride, was abducted, and per threw her items out the window of the car on the way out of town
b) SM went on a bike ride, was abducted, and SM threw those items out the window of the car as a clue as she was being taken
c) BM staged the bike, hoping to make it look like an animal attack. LE didn't buy it, BM (or accomplish) throws items out a couple of days later hoping to change the narrative to abduction.
d) BM kills SM, and either throws items out in a panic or SM loses them/discards them as part of the attack. Bike is staged after the fact.

For the life of me, I can't come up with a good reason for BM to stage both the bike and the personal items at the same time. The initial narrative on this (almost certainly from BM) was an animal attack - the personal items in another location don't support that narrative. So, if one is to believe BM planted the bike, that leaves the personal items as a mistake or planted after the fact. Maybe someone can come up with other plausible scenarios (and I do know we haven't received confirmation from LE that there ever was a bike - though, if not, then one would have to ask why BM is lying about it) that can explain both? JMO, MOO.
Is it possible that we have been assuming that BM is smart, when he could actually be quite the opposite? Supposing that the bike and items are all staged, and I do suppose this, i think it was done at the same time. someone wants it to appear that an abduction took place. Like clues are strewn along the path as the abductor left the scene, however unlikely that would be, right? But how can LE deny it? Cause there the bike, there's the whatsit, there's the gaget. He musta went that-a-way. Perhaps after the searchers arrived, the idea of a mountain lion was mentioned and that idea sprouted wings briefly. Like sure, that sounds good. Then back to original plan when it fizzled out. If this is what happened, then he's just not very smart. Moo

Sorry it took so long to reply, I just wrote an essay for Seattle1!

I am a little confused about your question, but I think you are referring to a legal standard some courts use to determine a respondent's decision-making. There are two schools of thought in U.S. jurisprudence. One is the doctrine of substituted consent, the other best-interest.

Substituted consent would make a decision consistent with an individual's wishes. Or what we usually think of as autonomous "intent." What the respondent intended to mean when they conveyed their wishes.

A best-interest standard would require that the guardian look at the pros and cons of the procedure or situation and determine what is in the individual’s best interest.

Hope this is what you were asking, and thanks for the reply!

ETA: I'm not sure which standard Indiana uses. And it's the weekend, so I'm gonna be lazy and not look it up! :p

Thank you for your help!!

Is it possible that we have been assuming that BM is smart, when he could actually be quite the opposite? Supposing that the bike and items are all staged, and I do suppose this, i think it was done at the same time. someone wants it to appear that an abduction took place. Like clues are strewn along the path as the abductor left the scene, however unlikely that would be, right? But how can LE deny it? Cause there the bike, there's the whatsit, there's the gaget. He musta went that-a-way. Perhaps after the searchers arrived, the idea of a mountain lion was mentioned and that idea sprouted wings briefly. Like sure, that sounds good. Then back to original plan when it fizzled out. If this is what happened, then he's just not very smart. Moo
He seems to be a successful business so I tend to think he's smart. They have acquired assets too so I tend to think they are a smart couple. They seem to have understood LLC's so I think there's some smarts. Now, he's been in the construction industry so I tend to think he's got a bit of street smarts too.
So, I tend to think he's smart. At least to an extent. jmo

Most parents take care of their kids, whether or not their own parents took care of them. But we have no reason to believe that anyone in this story lacked parental care.

Suzanne seems, from all her SM, to be a great mother who adored her daughters, so of course she would "take care" of them. I wouldn't post anything about Suzanne's family members - I believe that sleuthing any of them is against TOS, although not sure if this extends to deceased people - you can always message a mod and they will get back to you.

I am not sure what your second paragraph means. Are you speaking about BM being taken care of by SM's parents? Pretty sure that would be off limits and you were right to state it as an hypothesis.

Right now, Suzanne isn't able to take care of anyone.

Suzanne has been missing for 28 days, by end of day today and tomorrow marks the 29th day of the search for Suzanne.

I personally am very concerned that there has been no further wilderness/locale searching for about 22 days. If Suzanne had a head injury and wandered off, it might take a lot of searching to find her.
Not that this is the way I am leaning but lets consider this for a moment.

She had a bike accident. She hit her head and was disoriented. She wandered off for a couple or few hours or so before she laid down and succumbed to cranial bleeding.

She would likely be 2-3 miles from where her bike was at most but she could be 10 miles away.

We know that it is very difficult to find people in the wild even when professionals search and that most lost people are a mile or so from where they got lost when they are found.

It's not out of the realm of possibilities that she did get lost, its just not very probable. She was very close to her home. But if she did get lost it is very likely you might never find the body.

Personally, LE is behaving as if they know something that makes them believe BM is 100% guilty but that something is just not enough to make an arrest.

Well, first Suzanne is flung off her bike (which bounces and goes into a ravine) but makes a dash for it, with animal chasing her. That is, after all, a thing mountain lions do (knock people off bikes and chase them - it happened here in L.A., victim was a man), While fleeing, Suzanne instinctively goes for her phone, just as the lion leaps!

Or, Suzanne is struck and killed and the hit and run driver puts her body in their car and tosses the phone into the bushes, so as not to be tracked. It pings last known location, is found.

Neither of these explain why no BOLO and why LE seems to have ruled out abduction, especially after all this time. Surely whatever theory they have for this case must be increasingly gaining traction, or they'd have to go back to the drawing board. I hope that's what they'd do.

The bike has to be somewhere. While LE hasn't confirmed where it was, for obvious reasons, they've also never said "Suzanne's bike was still in the garage" or "There was no bike." The neighbor reported a bike ride, then someone found the bike on May 10 and the search was launched (as if it were possible that Suzanne were in fact injured and wandering around or in need of medical aid, collapsed somewhere nearby). They wouldn't have had a warrant for the house at that point (IMO), and I would think that when BM arrived around 9:30, they would have gone inside with his consent, to begin listening to him tell what he knew about that day.

But never did LE act as if it was an abduction or the community was in danger or needed to look out for an evil stranger passing through.

We don't know for sure, but noting that police tape was noticed by drivers in a very conspicuous place just off the Highway 5o turnoff to Route 225, I have to assume it was deliberately placed there and unless the personal item was tiny ( like jewelry) it would be very easy to spot, so easy it would be as if it was planted there.

If it was found there , and I don't know for sure, it would be very odd, indeed. As the personal item would have been on an escape route AFTER the bicycle was disposed of in or near a bridge. It would really have made more sense if the personal item was found very near the bicycle, in underbrush or something, rather than lying on a bank on the side of the road.

Most parents take care of their kids, whether or not their own parents took care of them. But we have no reason to believe that anyone in this story lacked parental care.

Suzanne seems, from all her SM, to be a great mother who adored her daughters, so of course she would "take care" of them. I wouldn't post anything about Suzanne's family members - I believe that sleuthing any of them is against TOS, although not sure if this extends to deceased people - you can always message a mod and they will get back to you.

I am not sure what your second paragraph means. Are you speaking about BM being taken care of by SM's parents? Pretty sure that would be off limits and you were right to state it as an hypothesis.

Right now, Suzanne isn't able to take care of anyone.

Suzanne has been missing for 28 days, by end of day today and tomorrow marks the 29th day of the search for Suzanne.

I personally am very concerned that there has been no further wilderness/locale searching for about 22 days. If Suzanne had a head injury and wandered off, it might take a lot of searching to find her.

Yes, what brought me to this websleuths website was such a wilderness case. Selena Not Afraid looked just like one of her cousins who was like family to me, so hard to see that picture in the news with so many indigenous women going missing. I don't live in Montana anymore. Selena died of hypothermia one mile from where she was missing they say.
Just my opinion, but you search and you search over and over again. It is so easy to miss something. The sooner the better. I wholly agree with you. LE must have extremely strong evidence to not prompt anymore searching. But myself. I would still be looking. 100% agree with you. This case doesn't make any sense, unless they have conclusive evidence they just aren't willing to come out with yet.

Did she give him POA because of her cancer? That would make sense.
But, what a perfect storm. kwim?
But if she gave BM a POA during her cancer bout, it may have only been a medical POA or a Special or limited POA.
Which,IMO, I am guessing is what it was seeing that he need to get guardianship.
But, the POA used in 2019 for the house would NOT have been just a medical POA so it was either a short term, limited POA or it was Revoked.

Or he thought it would sound heartfelt and broken. Didn't strike me thataway. IMO
But who knows?
The way he said "Oh Suzanne" reminded me of when I was a child & would get in trouble, my parents always started with "Oh Subie". It was almost always like "not again!" or "what did you do?" and mostly dealing with not doing my schoolwork or homework. Not really sure where I am leaning with that video, but that is what it made me think of!

I’ll add a couple things that add to the suspicion...

Yes--agree..and LE immediately taking possession of BM's vehicle, house, and his phone...and then searching a dirt area where he last worked with screened sifting boxes suggests that LE pegged BM as a viable suspect from day one...how else should we interpret LE's initial focus and probe in this case? Apparently, a wolf was discovered in Grandma's bed.

The way he said "Oh Suzanne" reminded me of when I was a child & would get in trouble, my parents always started with "Oh Subie". It was almost always like "not again!" or "what did you do?" and mostly dealing with not doing my schoolwork or homework. Not really sure where I am leaning with that video, but that is what it made me think of!
It affected me the same...:oops:

He seems to be a successful business so I tend to think he's smart. They have acquired assets too so I tend to think they are a smart couple. Now, he's in the construction industry so I tend to think he's got a bit of street smarts too.
He may have had a lot of help and support from SM? He could be a smart landscaper, but successfully covering up a murder is a different skill set. Moo

Could "personal item" have been body part? Perhaps lost en route to disposal? Could that be why the search was limited and the digging up of cement happened, etc?

According to BM's interview with a youtuber, investigators found an article that possibly belonged to SM. It doesn't follow that the Sheriff (or BM) are talking about a body part:

Chaffee County sheriff said during a news conference late Friday afternoon, though they did locate an item that possibly belonged to her on Thursday [May 14, 2020].

Investigators say they believe they found item belonging to missing Chaffee County woman

When you have a valid POA you can do anything and everything that POA entitles you - banks don’t check death certificates all the time in my experience - so if you have POA you can go to a bank and change the beneficiary to yourself and / or transfer everything even after death - you can quit claim property to yourself and sign as POA as grantor - we see it a lot in our law firm
JMO
mmmm. Good to know! lol

Exactly- LE has something that points them directly at BM but isn't enough for an arrest.

I hope it isn't a false flag, something that would only look bad if your wife suddenly disappeared, but was actually totally innocent.

Because if it is something like that they have lost a whole lot of valuable investigative time.

We don't know for sure, but noting that police tape was noticed by drivers in a very conspicuous place just off the Highway 5o turnoff to Route 225, I have to assume it was deliberately placed there and unless the personal item was tiny ( like jewelry) it would be very easy to spot, so easy it would be as if it was planted there.

If it was found there , and I don't know for sure, it would be very odd, indeed. As the personal item would have been on an escape route AFTER the bicycle was disposed of in or near a bridge. It would really have made more sense if the personal item was found very near the bicycle, in underbrush or something, rather than lying on a bank on the side of the road.
Interesting point, could it have been thrown from car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member