Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
continued -I believe there may have been a televised plea for information by the family, but this may have come after Sharis body had been found. I do not remember Shari’s father making a public plea, his were interviews much later. If this had been a child, I wonder if SM would have made the plea?
I suspect LE would have to rule out mistaken identity in this case and I can certainly see protecting and keeping daughters out of the public eye.
My biggest problem w/ believing BM is guilty, is that it requires me throwing away all that I have been told about SM.
It requires me to lump her together w/all the other women who have been forced thru
different circumstances to remain in an abusive marriage. the biggest and most difficult to overcome are financial and support system. SM has financial, family, community support, and her daughters are old enough to be support as well.
“The husband is most likely suspect” doesn’t quite hold up for me.
BBM
I don’t understand anything you’ve written today. The last line is clear but how you got there is not.

I don’t understand your comment at all. Would you explain?
my apologies, I believe we started w/ speculation as to why Suzanne wore teal helmet, ovarian vs breast, I was trying to say I enjoyed all the posts and speculation, but that the original speculation was a lot simpler that, certain colors bring out a persons complexion and therefore SMs basic clothing wardrobe scheme carried over to her cycling and also w/ 3 gals it is simpler to grab the right helmet if each one has their favorite color...sorry, I sometimes reply to the last post on a topic. Love your px btw

While we are waiting on updates and seemingly exhausted all theories (13 threads in) while waiting for updates from police maybe inquiring minds can jump over to a case I’m just hearing about. Has 1 thread and been missing since April. Vanessa Guillen. Fort Hood Soldier

I am unclear what the reporting standards are for Colorado, so I may be missing something otherwise obvious, but I am a bit confused as to why cops were so quick to mobilize because a neighbor said someone seemed to be out late from a bike ride they believed they were on?

In many other jurisdiction there would be a requirement for more than that before mobilizing, as well a deamnd that a family member file a report. Jumping on a phone call from a neighbor just seems odd to me.

Is this a norm in Colorado?

Oh, just one more thing - Why are some some family members such as her Nephew, running a ******** for things like;

-Supporting the wellbeing of Suzanne's family.
-Food for family and volunteers.
-Housing accommodations for family.
-Compensating family and volunteers for their time spent away from work and with the Morphew family.
https://www.********.com/f/suzanne-morphew

Are these not things that her husband would be coordinating (especially the first item of that list) and apparently more than able to fund given the area they live, the multiple real and business assets (Suzanne Morphew Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com) as well as he fact that he initially was able to offer $100k for info leading to her location then later able simply double that to $200k?

Are not Suzanne's family and her husband working together to locate her?

Great questions! I can only reply to one of them. Chaffee county is an outdoor recreation paradise that is subject to more than it's share of disasters like runaway fires and bad traffic accidents. A high number of human beings get lost, and the situation can escalate rapidly due to the extremes of conditions in the mountains. Rapid response is a cornerstone of what Chaffee county residents expect from their tax dollars, and the constantly improving record for rapid response is a plank in every John Spezze election campaign platform. So, my answer is YES, the rapid and heavy LE response to a report of a Chaffee county resident missing from a bike ride was pretty normal. It's what they do, and they do it well. IMO

While we are waiting on updates and seemingly exhausted all theories (13 threads in) while waiting for updates from police maybe inquiring minds can jump over to a case I’m just hearing about. Has 1 thread and been missing since April. Vanessa Guillen. Fort Hood Soldier
It breaks my heart every day when there is no resolution with all cases but particularly Suzanne’s and Vanessa’s. Women do not simply vanish into thin air. Prayers for resolution for these and too many others.

continued -I believe there may have been a televised plea for information by the family, but this may have come after Sharis body had been found. I do not remember Shari’s father making a public plea, his were interviews much later. If this had been a child, I wonder if SM would have made the plea?
I suspect LE would have to rule out mistaken identity in this case and I can certainly see protecting and keeping daughters out of the public eye.
My biggest problem w/ believing BM is guilty, is that it requires me throwing away all that I have been told about SM.
It requires me to lump her together w/all the other women who have been forced thru
different circumstances to remain in an abusive marriage. the biggest and most difficult to overcome are financial and support system. SM has financial, family, community support, and her daughters are old enough to be support as well.
“The husband is most likely suspect” doesn’t quite hold up for me.

I agree, <modsnip>. She seems very close to her daughter's; I can't see her "choosing" BM over them. I understand it's difficult for many women to leave an abusive situation but often times it's due to lack of means and/or support. Especially after recently beating cancer. I'm sure she had an amazing support system that didn't disappear on her when she recovered. And would the adult daughter really consent to this guardianship if she or any of her mom's family had doubts?

I can't decide if I think he's guilty but I lean towards not. He, and his demeanor, remind me of my son's father. He doesn't deal well with public display of emotion, and is very awkward and inarticulate with it. Incidentally he is also a very saavy, intelligent contractor,excellent in his field but often times, outside of that he can come off as
kind of a big doofus. He's also a huge BullSh*tter and can have a convo with anyone. I get this same vibe from BM.
I imagine if I were to go missing he'd behave exactly as he did when our beloved
dog was missing, but he'd be dying on the inside and looking much like BM, like he's aged a decade in a week.

IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I post late at night when I am tired, I'm sure we are suppose to use initials for everyone but the victim, however as you note the victim may be the exception. I have tried to search for the rules on this but can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help on this? Don't change it on my statement alone Lilypad, but on confirmation from other members, I am new. I completely understand the need to retain victims identity, connection and humanity.

Names can be used for a victim and an officially named perp. For all others we strongly encourage members to use initials.

At this time, BM is still not an officially named POI. Just because his name is in MSM does not mean we should be referring to him by name.

Please see this post I made yesterday in another thread.

Yesterday on Fox news in an article on Suzanne, BM's relatives said LE does not want them talking about the case, it might interfere with their investigation. So this is why you don't hear anything from BM!!! I am going to continue looking for the article.

BBM
I don’t understand anything you’ve written today. The last line is clear but how you got there is not.
My apologies, many threads ago, I posted the similarities between this case and the Shari Faye Smith case in SC early 80s. It was a supposed beginning serial killer who kidnapped and murdered 2 girls. Too many details but googling her name will give you the details. It is a fascinating yet tragic case.
Larry Gene Bell did some evil things. There is still speculation that he is connected to the Charlotte area disappearance of several women, and there was also an attempted abduction of a women who is certain was LGB... prior to Shari hence my supposed beginning, ...I lived thru this and I am afraid that we are misinterpreting LE silence, as I am certain some of their actions are also similar, that’s all. Today rather than tie up the thread I post shorter posts...kinda forget everybody doesn’t follow quite as page by page, I am covid isolating to a degree and retired, is that an F16?

Th
Yesterday on Fox news in an article on Suzanne, BM's relatives said LE does not want them talking about the case, it might interfere with their investigation. So this is why you don't hear anything from BM!!! I am going to continue looking for the article.
Thank you, I would like to read the link.

This video, which is 5:58 in length, takes you from the top of the Fooses Creek descent all the way down past Fooses Lake, the Dam, and out onto CR 225. The Fooses Creek Dam bridge goes by at 2:49. The riders are nearly decapitated by a fallen tree across the trail at 3:57. Unless I missed it, the video stops just short of the "Y" in CR 225 that offers a choice either to SM's house or back up CR 225 to to US 50. They stop about 600 yards, as the crow flies, from her house.

bbm
Great post !!! ^^^
Good questions and tbh they are cringe-inducing for someone who supposedly cared about their spouse.
MOO
Someone else should read your post.
I am thinking of a certain person. ;)
Imo.

I wanted to add that the swift response of LE would make it appear that they sensed something horribly wrong from the start.
Not sure what that is, but I'm thinking someone could have called about life insurance for a missing and presumed deceased Suzanne ?
As in-- 'hey, she's gone and could be dead. Where's my money ?'
Or something to that effect.
Sounds totally crazy but there could be many reasons for the unusual response.

The mother of BM is also on the crowd funding page; and there's no mention of anyone on Suzanne's side of the family.
My .02 --- I doubt that Suzanne's family will receive any of it.
It's one thing to say that funds will go to the 'wellbeing of Suzanne's family' ; and quite another to actually hand over the money.
Fwiw, I do not see that happening.
If any of that is to go to Suzanne's relatives, why aren't any of them named on the crowd funding page ?
Maybe the two families are working together but it doesn't appear that way; imo.

I always enjoy this phase of websleuthing, because of posts like yours, LK. I too wonder why the funding page is one-sided. But it's your life insurance idea that's so intriguing.

Because in the end, as we see time and again, it is almost always "something crazy" and unexpected that we see really turned the tide for LE early in a case. Obviously, it's a group of things and beliefs that the responding officers have, then a subsequent cascade of potential evidence.

But only a few of those truly investigation-shaping clues and moments.

Your life insurance scenario made me think about where our policy numbers are stored. In our banking portfolio, online, at our bank. Banking records and life insurance records together may tell an interesting part of the family dynamic story, right before Suzanne went missing.

Conversely, absent all these little things, LE will continue to keep looking where ever else it is they are looking right now.

Jason Young killed his wife in 2006 and wasn't arrested until 2009. He happened to be out of town on business too (but had time to drive back and kill his wife - cell left at the hotel - drove back to make his meeting). Law enforcement knew he did it (he NEVER talked to anyone about it, not a peep) but it took time to build the case against him. First trial was a hung jury, second trial convicted of 1st degree murder, then on April Fool's Day (I kid you not) he was almost granted a 3rd trial. This case was the first I followed and I knew backwards and forward but nearly drove me crazy I was so obsessed with it. He also called Michelle's sister to find her beaten to death body - she was pregnant too. Heartbreaking story.

I realize this is a different case, but I would just like to say that I do not believe that Jason Young killed his wife, and that I believe his conviction for that crime was and is a terrible miscarriage of justice. Anyone interested in the case should read Absence of Evidence by Lynne Blanchard or look into the threads on WS, starting with the below.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/jason-young-seeks-third-trial.340726/page-3

There should not have to be a legal requirement. Also an absence of requirements by no means justifies a lack of transparency and accountability for how taxpayers money and confidence is being maintained. Nor does a lack of legislated requirement invalidate the public frustration when no transparency is offered.
Would you agree that the important thing is to preserve the integrity of an investigation? Revealing information to the public can be counterproductive to an investigation or, for another example, counterintelligence operations. The obligation of these agencies is to serve the public, not to satisfy our curiosity.

If there's no bike at all (meaning no bike ride, no staging of the bike), then we have BM on camera talking first hand about finding the bike as well as an email to his church (which seems most likely to have originated from him) saying the same thing. BM is on the record stating the bike recovery as a fact and if that's completely untrue, then I think he just made the whodunnit question really, really easy to answer. That would be fascinating if its indeed the case.
What if the wrong bike was staged? Or what if Suzanne’s bike was inoperable and could not have been ridden?

Oh ok I just saw your post. I posted something below before I read this. And that would be a long way for a body to float. The article I posted mentioned some kind of box. Anyway thanks. My heart was racing there for a minute!
Not sure if this has been clarified, but the Arkansas River flows south eastward towards into the Mississippi. The river where the body was found is a tributary into the Arkansas River.

They always need the public's assistance, that's why they have tiplines and canvases, which are the cornerstones of most investigations. They would be powerless without the public's assistance. If people just "shut up and let them do their jobs" (as some naive cop fanboys and egotistical cops have been known to say), law enforcement's cold case backlogs would be exponentially more depressing that they already are.

Law enforcement, though to be admired and respected, ought not be assumed infallible or a sole source of case resolution anymore than they ought be assumed society's top experts or it's sole source or protection. Though they should be afforded a good measure of trust and benefit of doubt when something seems wrong or overlooked, they ought not be instantly assumed on top of it and having a good reason for appearing to miss something crucial.

Asking questions, keeps them sharp and honest and keeps us informed and willing to continue to trust. Both are necessary for our system of justice to work, otherwise what we would have is anarchy or a complete police state.
LE does not need help from the public in every single case. Sometimes murders happen without witnesses and the murderer never tells a soul. How could the public possibly know anything in a case like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper