Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>snipping this excerpt from May 20:

<snip>"According to Sheriff John Spezze, it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance. The Morphew residence is just one of many areas of focus as part of this open investigation at this time."<snip>

----------
..."I'll try and keep this as brief as possible:

May 11th: Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results. The search resumed in the early morning hours of May 11 with Search and Rescue. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tac Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.
Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 13th: A search began immediately. ...Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.
Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 14th: ...continue to search for Suzanne Morphew(age 49), who was reported missing on May 10, 2020. In addition to efforts by the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and assistance from local and regional partners, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been requested to provide resources to aid in the effort.
Search continues for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 15th: While the search for Suzanne Morphew continues, a specific area just west of County Road 225 and Highway 50 (outside of Maysville), is being targeted by investigators after they located what’s believed to be a personal item of the missing woman.On Friday, May 15, members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) plan to launch a comprehensive search of the area.
HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 15th (update): ... investigators searched a 2.5-mile area near County Road 225 and Highway 50 in search of clues into the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew (age 49) of Chaffee County, who went missing on May 10, 2020. Local, state and federal investigators searched steep and rugged terrain in an effort to attempt to locate additional items of Ms. Morphew after investigators believed to have found a personal item of the missing woman on Thursday. May 15 update on search for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 16th: ...continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.
Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020. While Saturday’s efforts didn’t involve a large-scale search similar to the one that took place on US Highway 50 on May 15, investigators continued to follow-up on tips and conduct targeted searches in the area based on information provided to those working the case. Search continues for Suzanne Morphew - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 17th: ... continue the search for Suzanne Morphew. Sunday, May 17, members of the Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office Dive Rescue Team searched water sites in the area.
May 17 Search Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 18th: ... continue the search for Suzanne Morphew. Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020. On Monday, 18, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. There have been more than 150 calls to the tip line since the phone line was activated last week. There were no targeted searches conducted on Monday.
May 18 Press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 19th: ...continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew. On Tuesday, May 19, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office.
May 19, press release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 20th: ...continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew. To clarify media reports about the Morphew residence, the house continues to be held by law enforcement during this open investigation through a search warrant that has been sealed by the court. According to Sheriff John Spezze, it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance. The Morphew residence is just one of many areas of focus as part of this open investigation at this time.
May 20, 2020 Press Release Suzanne Morphew missing person case - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 21st: ...continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew. On Thursday, May 21, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office.
May 21, Investigation continues for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 22nd: Based on information developed during the Suzanne Morphew missing person case, investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) are conducting a search at a residential property on the east side of the Salida.
May 22 Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 22nd (update): A search being conducted at a residence on the east side of Salida in connection with the Suzanne Morphew missing person case has concluded for the day. Investigators with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, CBI and FBI plan to return to the site to continue the search on Saturday, May 23, 2020.
5:00 PM updated press release 05-22-2020 - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 26th: ...continue the missing person investigation involving Suzanne Morphew. On Tuesday, May 26, investigators’ efforts involved review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. May 26th Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post.
LE are really reaching.
It's as if they want anyone in the community to say when they last saw or spoke to Suzanne.
I find that incredibly telling and sad . :( How long has she been missing ?
Since before May ?Imo.

As I recall her birthday was April 30th, just 10 days prior. I'm thinking, surely someone made contact with her at that time.

When Dinosuars Roamed the Earth?
... specifically looking for the MD, didn’t pay attention to the year, ...My father in law was line type setter for Baltimore Sun, as the process became more automated, it seemed the typos increased. ...
@Feistyomi sbm bbm At my first 'real job' (pre-PC's, back in the days of IBM Selectric typewriters:eek:, 40+ yrs ago, eek :eek:), my manager said: There's an error in every printing job. Yep, gotta agree w you & your FiL, sometimes the fault of writers & editors, other times the printer's devil in print shop. imo.

Last edited:
Just catching up here....
My biggest takeaways from the Press Release as well as the info below:

-It remains a Missing Persons case.
-They still aren't labelling it 'foul play.'
-No timelines released, no confirmed last sighting or confirmed time that someone last spoke to Suzanne.

After 1 month and few updates, CBI says ‘a high level of commitment’ remains in Suzanne Morphew case

“Our agents are working closely with the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, and the FBI has a team as well assigned to this. Committed — there’s a high level of commitment to this case,” she said. “You may not see a news release on a daily basis but that doesn’t mean that extensive work isn’t happening on a daily basis. … Countless hours every day by agents and analysts and investigators to determine where Suzanne is and what happened.”

I agree with @osu, the three very high profile investigations from the last year have demonstrated that these departments are very good at what they do.

The most important thing they can do right now is protect the integrity of their investigation by not saying too much.

I hope her daughters are being well-supported right now. They are still only young women and it all must be so devastating for them....

JMO

Wanted to share a few thoughts based on my experience. So this week we poured a concrete patio in our yard. When doing a concrete pour (even at a job site) the mix truck is called in from whoever your supplier is. Once it arrives, the truck dumps the concrete while the workers spread, move, and level it out. While it’s not impossible, I highly doubt that BM supplies his own concrete. He isn’t mixing it in wheelbarrows himself. So I find it highly unlikely he would hide something in concrete (which we don’t know really if anything was found or not). Also, when pouring, people are walking all over the pad area - it has to be leveled out well - so it would take quite a bit of planning to get something to the job site and totally hidden before workers arrived or the pour started.

As far as setting up the job himself in Denver, this doesn’t strike me as strange at all. My dad and husband both own businesses doing different types of “construction” work. They have both had to set up jobs before crews arrive. Covid has had minimal to no effect on my husband’s job schedule and he has continued to work outside the home everyday just as usual.

I don’t know where I land on the guilt scale or if these points matter, but hey, there’s my two cents ;)
I agree- my family (not me) runs a similar business(s) and none of that is too out of the ordinary.

However, I just wonder what LE had to show the judge to get them them to sign off on a warrant to dig up that slab.

Perhaps the homeowner was "hey, as long as you fix it when you're done go ahead" and the Judge didn't require a high bar because the homeowner was on-board.

No mention of bike ride.

Reported missing on May 10. Not missing since May 10.

IMO, the Mother’s Day story is bogus, and LE knows it. They are canvassing to selectively share findings and nail down a true missing date. That may help them locate SM, looking at someone’s digital footprint from than day.

MOO

I hope she is located soon.

We learned from MSM that SM & BM attended Purdue University and also that BM studied Horticulture/Landscape Management. As we cannot sleuth BM beyond the MSM articles, see the link below for a better understanding of what the college of Agriculture provides for under Horticulture/Landscape Arch/Design/Management disciplines.

I think there's a big misconception here on the definition of a Landscaper or Landscaping business. To be clear, there are many landscapers that do not own a mowing machine and have never mowed or clipped a garden or business park.

Government, IRS, insurance regulators, etc., classify businesses by SIC code (standard industrial code) and the Landscaping code is a very big umbrella.

For example, if you are familiar with the Denver Metro area, I have a classmate that is a "landscaper" and some of their firm's work includes multi-million dollar contracts for rock, retaining walls, and erosion control along both the state and interstate roadways for Colorado and other Rocky Mountain States; the Construction of Coors Field (home field of Colorado Rockies MLB); and maintenance of an Art Project at the Denver Int'l Airport (DIA). I recall how the DIA art project (an indoor landscape display) was in the news a few years ago when many wanted the longtime art project rescinded because the annual maintenance contract for the indoor display was valued at more than $800,000/yr.

Relative to hiring a Salida firm to work in Denver, there are many reasons why firms establish their headquarters as far from the metro area as possible, including lower business property tax/license fees for their equipment, inventory, employees, etc. -- not so different than your credit card company registering in Delaware for their own financial and legal interests.

MOO

Horticulture & Landscape Architecture Prospective Students

Lauren Scharf posted the press release on her public Facebook page (hopefully ok to link):

Lauren Scharf

No mention of bike ride in this one.
If you go back and read all of the press releases you will find that the last mention of a bike ride was in the 2nd press release on May 13 when they said this.

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

Investigation revealed.

None of the other ones after that mentioned the bike ride just that she was reported missing on that date. I personally don't think it's a big deal and LE did say "investigation revealed" she went on a bike ride.

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

I’m happy to see LE still hard at work trying to solve this mystery. We’ve seen this type of follow up in other cases. By interviewing face to face, they’re hoping to jog peoples’ memories and perhaps get details that weren’t called in to the tip line. Something you or I might feel is insignificant can be extremely important for investigators. Most importantly, they are letting the family and community know they haven’t stalled and they will not stop until they know what happened to Suzanne.

Just a reminder that the IGNORE feature can be your best friend. Click on name of ignoree, click “ignore”

I agree- my family (not me) runs a similar business(s) and none of that is too out of the ordinary.

However, I just wonder what LE had to show the judge to get them them to sign off on a warrant to dig up that slab.

Perhaps the homeowner was "hey, as long as you fix it when you're done go ahead" and the Judge didn't require a high bar because the homeowner was on-board.
bbm

I've wondered that, as well !
Really do not like where that leads my thought process to, though. :(

We learned from MSM that SM & BM attended Purdue University and also that BM studied Horticulture/Landscape Management. As we cannot sleuth BM beyond the MSM articles, see the link below for a better understanding of what the college of Agriculture provides for under Horticulture/Landscape Arch/Design/Management disciplines.

I think there's a big misconception here on the definition of a Landscaper or Landscaping business. To be clear, there are many landscapers that do not own a mowing machine and have never mowed or clipped a garden or business park.

Government, IRS, insurance regulators, etc., classify businesses by SIC code (standard industrial code) and the Landscaping code is a very big umbrella.

For example, if you are familiar with the Denver Metro area, I have a classmate that is a "landscaper" and some of their firm's work includes multi-million dollar contracts for rock, retaining walls, and erosion control along both the state and interstate roadways for Colorado and other Rocky Mountain States; the Construction of Coors Field (home field of Colorado Rockies MLB); and maintenance of an Art Project at the Denver Int'l Airport (DIA). I recall how the DIA art project (an indoor landscape display) was in the news a few years ago when many wanted the longtime art project rescinded because the annual maintenance contract for the indoor display was valued at more than $800,000/yr.

Relative to hiring a Salida firm to work in Denver, there are many reasons why firms establish their headquarters as far from the metro area as possible, including lower business property tax/license fees for their equipment, inventory, employees, etc. -- not so different than your credit card company registering in Delaware for their own financial and legal interests.

MOO

LE searched that job site where BM moved dirt for the foundation. That helped me understand that his landscaping business may be more construction and engineering related than aesthetic design.

MOO

You are absolutely correct. However, in discussing BM's version (or lack thereof) of events of the weekend, there are questions that seem unusual in this particular case.

I wonder if on their canvass they will be asking for the home surveillance footage they've asked residents to save.

Community canvass makes it sound, to me, like they are canvassing all people living in a certain area, not necessarily just people who know her. My only question is: do you think people will remember seeing someone they don't personally know four weeks later? I hope they are able to get something to go on or get whatever info they are after, but I worry about that.

@Seattle1
In thread #1 we searched for the recorded deed and did not find a corresponding mortgage - recall your post:
Must have been. Only recorded instruments were the Warranty Deed and Water Conservation District Rights for the property.

Seattle1, May 13, 2020 Report
---
are the Recording documents not available via online search now? It looks like they've moved to a pay system??
Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder Home - Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder
Confirmed. I'm registered at the pay search site.

THANK YOU. It's unbelievable how many times we'll be in the middle of a homicide investigation and get multiples and multiples of the following:

"Have you looked at the cell phone records?"
"Check the car GPS."
"Look at the husband. I bet he knows."
"Did you guys see the comments on [xyz victim]'s FB page?"
"Did you get the cameras from Wal-Mart?"

And then some of them get aggressive and starting tell us what WE NEED TO do.

Come on! When we ask for help, we mean it. Give us anything you know. What we don't need is general advice about how to conduct the investigation. We know.

The level of arrogance and entitlement is surprising to me.

I see the same things online with people saying they’re going to call the cops and ask if they’ve searched this or done that or reviewed x, y or z. It’s baffling and somewhat embarrassing. Because in pretty much every case we find out how incredibly thorough LE was in their investigation and how much they did and knew.

When you start hearing loved ones (friends or relatives who aren’t persons of interest) complaining a lot that nothing at all is being done or disagreeing with investigative directions or saying that a direction is being ignored, that’s when it’s time to become concerned. Yes, that’s happened. But it’s rare and those who are in the best position to know about it and do something about it are NOT from among the general public. They’re either people close to the investigation with specific information or experts of some sort who are asked or decide to get involved, like private investigators.

But again, it’s rare.

To throw open an investigation because the public is frustrated would be lunacy.

IMO the best thing the general public can do is get interested and yes, have discussions on sites like this as that keeps the pressure on and keeps the case in the public eye, and that could lead to more information coming out, real tips, etc.

It is sometimes true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease in these cases. But I’ve seen zero to indicate LE isn’t interested in this case and/or is not actively investigating in a thorough manner.

Have their been any indications of that at all in this case? What am I missing?

I wonder if on their canvass they will be asking for the home surveillance footage they've asked residents to save.

Community canvass makes it sound, to me, like they are canvassing all people living in a certain area, not necessarily just people who know her. My only question is: do you think people will remember seeing someone they don't personally know four weeks later? I hope they are able to get something to go on or get whatever info they are after, but I worry about that.
I think that in a town this size, the residence will have been thinking of SM every day day since she was reported missing. I don't think it will be a problem. moo

Press Release:

Suzanne Morphew Missing Person Case (June 10)

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
June 10, 2020

It has been one month since Suzanne Morphew was reported missing in Chaffee County. In that time, local, state and federal investigators have followed-up on hundreds of tips and conducted a number of searches in an effort to locate Ms. Morphew, who was reported missing on Mother’s Day, May 10, 2020.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office is being assisted by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in this missing person case.

In addition to countless interviews conducted in the last month, approximately 500 tips have been called into a designated tip line in the investigation, along with 10 large-scale searches performed throughout the county.

On June 10, investigators plan to conduct a community canvas in the county to contact residents and others to not only share information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance, but also focus on obtaining any new information in her case. Nearly two dozen members of law enforcement will take part in this comprehensive effort on Wednesday.

The public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office will release information related to the investigation as it becomes available.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

A couple interesting notes:

-10 large scale searches within the county. That is about 7-9 more searches than we knew about. I wonder how many small scale searches have occurred?
-10 large scale searches “within the county” along with the CBI and FBI involvement leads me to believe their are more searches that have occurred outside of the county given that they made that distinction in the PR.
-24 officers going around the community to share info is really, really interesting. I need to research what this strategy is intended to do, as I’m sure it’s not as straight forward as it sounds.
-Chances of information about the investigation leaking to reporting outlets will go up significantly now if members of the community have more info.

If you go back and read all of the press releases you will find that the last mention of a bike ride was in the 2nd press release on May 13 when they said this.

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

Investigation revealed.

None of the other ones after that mentioned the bike ride just that she was reported missing on that date. I personally don't think it's a big deal and LE did say "investigation revealed" she went on a bike ride.

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
Agreed.

In the grand scheme of the investigation, the bike ride was not emphasized by LE from the beginning.

As if they're intelligent enough to recognize a red herring when they see one.
Which I think they are, and they have also been extremely tight-lipped.

In the era of social media they have to say practically nothing and that's more difficult than one would expect; imo !

I do think that LE are very interested in who put forth the idea.
If that makes sense.
If I were LE (I'm not), I'd be looking closely at anyone --family related or not -- who said 'this is what happened' .
Or even --'this is what I think happened'.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member