Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is saying that if someone has a real tip they should stay quiet. What many of us are saying is that the public are not experts entitled to details of a professional investigation because you think they’re not solving it quickly enough.

It just doesn’t work that way. There’s tons of information they have that we don’t and we aren’t entitled to it.

And what I believe the poster you’re responding to was saying was that they don’t need the public’s help in a specific direction, with relation to the supposed vehicle tip.

Of course they need the public’s help when and IF that public knows something pertinent to the case. Not just general brainstorming.

Otherwise, LE absolutely should be assumed to be on top of it or going in the right direction, if a direction is stated, until and unless something comes out that indicates they’re mistaken. You know why? Because they know everything and we know close to nothing. There is a reason for the things they do and we aren’t privy to it.

Of course they’re not infallible. There have been mistakes. Usually those closest to the victim are the ones who determine that.
But the solution to that is not enlisting curious, amateur detectives from among the public who arrogantly believe they’re entitled to know investigative details and that they will be able to solve a case that LE can’t.

THANK YOU. It's unbelievable how many times we'll be in the middle of a homicide investigation and get multiples and multiples of the following:

"Have you looked at the cell phone records?"
"Check the car GPS."
"Look at the husband. I bet he knows."
"Did you guys see the comments on [xyz victim]'s FB page?"
"Did you get the cameras from Wal-Mart?"

And then some of them get aggressive and starting tell us what WE NEED TO do.

Come on! When we ask for help, we mean it. Give us anything you know. What we don't need is general advice about how to conduct the investigation. We know.

I have seen mentioned on here some time back that the fact that LE had not shared information with BLM concerning the status of the investigation was indicative that he was involved. But it seems that if LE was interested in either an employee or someone from their circle of friends and acquaintances that LE would be almost doubly careful not to say or leak anything for fear of causing someone to flee.

What I’m hoping to hear today is something concrete addressing the stranger abduction possibility, or lack thereof. I think the public needs that strong reassurance if LE is pretty certain it’s not the case here.

MOO

Hi oviedo
I don't know if the following has been posted, discussed or discounted but just in case you want to add to the timeline:

The mom-of-two - who previously worked as a middle-school teacher in Indiana - was last active on social media the day before her disappearance.

She posted a picture to Facebook with her two daughters with the word 'Blessed' placed over the top.

Colorado mom, 49, vanishes after setting out on a Mother's Day bike ride | Daily Mail Online

That "Blessed!" photo was posted on May 19, 2019
Another DM fail.
I will post the link, if you'd like. I don't know if it's permitted.

@Seattle1
In thread #1 we searched for the recorded deed and did not find a corresponding mortgage - recall your post:
Must have been. Only recorded instruments were the Warranty Deed and Water Conservation District Rights for the property.

Seattle1, May 13, 2020 Report
---
are the Recording documents not available via online search now? It looks like they've moved to a pay system??
Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder Home - Chaffee County Clerk and Recorder
It appears you can pay for recorded documents through www.icounty.org.

EBM to add: I meant this to be a reply to ovied0! And to correct my spelling.

THANK YOU. It's unbelievable how many times we'll be in the middle of a homicide investigation and get multiples and multiples of the following:

"Check the car GPS."

Come on! When we ask for help, we mean it. Give us anything you know. What we don't need is general advice about how to conduct the investigation. We know.
Same as a surgeon. They want to know your symptoms and how you feel. They don't need your input on how the surgery should be performed. Trust the experts.

K9Enzo,
I always appreciate your well thought out posts. I know you have some real world experience looking for the missing.

My question:
When you go out on a search, how much background info are you given about a case?

Is it just, here's the missing woman's scent, now see if you can find a trail?

Or are you given more info about what is going on---like 'she left after an argument at midnight and she was drinking', etc...?

What info would searchers be given in Suzanne's case? Would they be told she went for a bike ride and bike was in a ravine? Or that she MAY have been on a ride, but maybe not?

Hello – thank you! Full disclaimer – I can only give my opinion or my understanding on a topic while posting on WS. *I* have never been part of any search for a missing person. Because I come from a small part of the working dog world, I have had the opportunity to meet some outstanding handlers and dogs (I’m a good sport and have volunteered to be a concealed victim in K9 training workshops). We cross paths and the activities I do with my own dogs puts us in the same circle of friends often. I also have an immense interest in the genetic lines of working line German Shepherds. With my own dogs over the years I have trained and titled in herding (yes, my dog herding sheep :)) scent detection, then a few years ago the Shutzhund/IPO dog sport bug bit me hard and it felt like home. I love dogs and training my own. Especially a pup to an adult dog. No couch potatoes in my house, everyone needs a job. lol Also, my screen name, K9Enzo was my husband’s partner and very dear to us. We lost him after his retirement a few years ago. My heart still hurts for him.

On to my opinion.

It’s my understanding when LE calls on a trusted & preferred SAR team (including K9’s), as an example, the team lead will go into information gathering mode of the missing person. They will want to speak to someone close to the missing person. They will probably want to know the following:

-Physical description of the missing, including the most recent pic of them.

-Any physical features that stand out.

-Clothing they were wearing (if known). What color would stand out the most during a search by air?

-What items did they have on them? (backpack, purse, etc.)

-What were their plans? Where were they going? How overdue are they?

-Of course PLS (if known). Were they on foot, left in a car, on a bike, etc.?

-Medical background including disabilities. Any Rx medication. How long have they been without that medication, etc.

-Outdoor experience (IMO – when family says –Oh very experienced – this one is always very subjective because family is often clueless to no fault of their own).

-State of mind of the missing. Emotional history. Are they suicidal? Upset over an event? Any recent stressors? Etc.

-What might the missing person due under extreme stress? If lost, would they maybe stay put or panic and keep walking (often times people don’t realize they are lost until they have really traveled away from their intended path)

-For children – are they afraid of dogs? How do they respond to strangers –think of a group of unknown people calling your name as a child or hearing the collar jingle or panting of a dog heading your way. For an adult that is waiting for rescue this would be a huge relief, for a scared child, not so much maybe.

IMO, time is ticking for a live find, especially if using dogs as a scent trail weakens over time, environment also impacts the scent picture and can change it. Broken chain scents happen – the scent is lost and picked up again. If everyone could just walk in one direction and in a straight line :) Also, when SAR is called the missing person usually has a pretty big head start on them.

Depending on the discipline of the dog, some are trained to track the specific person from a scent article. Again, they tracking a specific person. Other dogs might be used when there’s no PLS or a scent article isn’t available and they are tracking any human in a search area. This is why I believe it’s important to only have boots on the ground of experienced people so it remains coordinated. More skilled folks in the beginning is better than a bunch of people just out looking, causing more obstacles for the dogs teams. You can then go down the rabbit hole of dogs being trained to work through distractions, missing man line up – these people we are NOT searching for in the search area, etc., etc. etc.

IMO, for the record – the mountain lion theory and dogs. I call it “crittering” when a dog is distracted by another animal scents while working or training. If a dog is thrown off significantly by the odor of other wild life (bear, mountain lion, etc.), then perhaps back to training basics. Something is amiss in training or the dog in general. Dogs smell everything – they are just trained to zero in on something specific and ignore the rest, it doesn’t matter. If I’m out with one of my dogs, even other people, no matter how interesting, should be treated like lawn furniture, they are just there & don’t matter.

Anyways, IMO, SAR teams will get sensitive information because if the person is found alive or deceased, it can quickly turn into a foul play investigation and crime scene. Most are also trained in this regard. They also keep detailed logs of everything they did and how assets were deployed so LE has it.

Hopefully, I didn’t take your questions on too much of a hay ride and again, this is only my opinion and someone may come along and set me straight. lol

In closing – my favorite quote at the moment:

That’s what I do. I drink and I know things. - Tyrion Lannister

Re the Blessed photo with daughters: don’t people sometimes post “throwback” photos of special memories? Maybe since her girls were gone she posted a photo from 2019 but on May 9, 2020. Or someone else posted it??

If the photo ( regardless of the year taken) was posted on 5/9/20, it is entirely possible that it was posted by someone other than SM. JMO
From personal experience, I log in automatically on most websites. So, technically, if I had a facebook account on a family computer, and/or no security password on my other cell phone or other computer devices, anyone could log in and post something on my social media accounts.

Hello – thank you! Full disclaimer – I can only give my opinion or my understanding on a topic while posting on WS. *I* have never been part of any search for a missing person. Because I come from a small part of the working dog world, I have had the opportunity to meet some outstanding handlers and dogs (I’m a good sport and have volunteered to be a concealed victim in K9 training workshops). We cross paths and the activities I do with my own dogs puts us in the same circle of friends often. I also have an immense interest in the genetic lines of working line German Shepherds. With my own dogs over the years I have trained and titled in herding (yes, my dog herding sheep :)) scent detection, then a few years ago the Shutzhund/IPO dog sport bug bit me hard and it felt like home. I love dogs and training my own. Especially a pup to an adult dog. No couch potatoes in my house, everyone needs a job. lol Also, my screen name, K9Enzo was my husband’s partner and very dear to us. We lost him after his retirement a few years ago. My heart still hurts for him.

On to my opinion.

It’s my understanding when LE calls on a trusted & preferred SAR team (including K9’s), as an example, the team lead will go into information gathering mode of the missing person. They will want to speak to someone close to the missing person. They will probably want to know the following:

-Physical description of the missing, including the most recent pic of them.

-Any physical features that stand out.

-Clothing they were wearing (if known). What color would stand out the most during a search by air?

-What items did they have on them? (backpack, purse, etc.)

-What were their plans? Where were they going? How overdue are they?

-Of course PLS (if known). Were they on foot, left in a car, on a bike, etc.?

-Medical background including disabilities. Any Rx medication. How long have they been without that medication, etc.

-Outdoor experience (IMO – when family says –Oh very experienced – this one is always very subjective because family is often clueless to no fault of their own).

-State of mind of the missing. Emotional history. Are they suicidal? Upset over an event? Any recent stressors? Etc.

-What might the missing person due under extreme stress? If lost, would they maybe stay put or panic and keep walking (often times people don’t realize they are lost until they have really traveled away from their intended path)

-For children – are they afraid of dogs? How do they respond to strangers –think of a group of unknown people calling your name as a child or hearing the collar jingle or panting of a dog heading your way. For an adult that is waiting for rescue this would be a huge relief, for a scared child, not so much maybe.

IMO, time is ticking for a live find, especially if using dogs as a scent trail weakens over time, environment also impacts the scent picture and can change it. Broken chain scents happen – the scent is lost and picked up again. If everyone could just walk in one direction and in a straight line :) Also, when SAR is called the missing person usually has a pretty big head start on them.

Depending on the discipline of the dog, some are trained to track the specific person from a scent article. Again, they tracking a specific person. Other dogs might be used when there’s no PLS or a scent article isn’t available and they are tracking any human in a search area. This is why I believe it’s important to only have boots on the ground of experienced people so it remains coordinated. More skilled folks in the beginning is better than a bunch of people just out looking, causing more obstacles for the dogs teams. You can then go down the rabbit hole of dogs being trained to work through distractions, missing man line up – these people we are NOT searching for in the search area, etc., etc. etc.

IMO, for the record – the mountain lion theory and dogs. I call it “crittering” when a dog is distracted by another animal scents while working or training. If a dog is thrown off significantly by the odor of other wild life (bear, mountain lion, etc.), then perhaps back to training basics. Something is amiss in training or the dog in general. Dogs smell everything – they are just trained to zero in on something specific and ignore the rest, it doesn’t matter. If I’m out with one of my dogs, even other people, no matter how interesting, should be treated like lawn furniture, they are just there & don’t matter.

Anyways, IMO, SAR teams will get sensitive information because if the person is found alive or deceased, it can quickly turn into a foul play investigation and crime scene. Most are also trained in this regard. They also keep detailed logs of everything they did and how assets were deployed so LE has it.

Hopefully, I didn’t take your questions on too much of a hay ride and again, this is only my opinion and someone may come along and set me straight. lol

In closing – my favorite quote at the moment:

That’s what I do. I drink and I know things. - Tyrion Lannister
Such an informative post! Thank you.

Just a comment, not a response to a particular post:

When somebody mentions abduction as a possibily, it gets objected how rare kidnapping is, especially for a middle-aged woman, etc. Which is true. But if somebody snatched her and took her somewhere else to do his evil thing, that would still be abduction. Even if they didn't take her very far.

"Check the car GPS."

BBM:

Yes, and conversely, I'm assuming that when you DON'T ask for the public's help, @riolove77, it's also with good reason.

When LE doesn't ask for the public's assistance, it's because they really and truly don't need it.

The fewer pleas from LE for members of the public to come forward with information, the more likely it is to be true that LE's already in possession of it.

JMO.

Last edited:
@K9Enzo

Thank you so very much for such an informative post!

I'm a crazy dog lady, but mine are of the lap variety. It's great to know the ins-and-outs of what search dogs actually do. Which is pretty amazing stuff.

Enzo's service is much appreciated, I have no doubt.

"Check the car GPS."

I love this post and @gitana1's post as well. It's very helpful to get attorney perspectives!

Ever suspect some watch CSI or NCIS, or one of the crime shows, and develop a belief LE needs direction and guidance from an 'armchair sleuther'? Some might think LE is taking direction (or believe LE should) from those on the Interwebs. I'm sure you've seen or gotten lists of questions posed with an expectation that LE will come answer tout de suite.

Right.

And I keep hearing it floated here that the house was paid off in its entirety, i.e., no debt, no mortgage.

Where is that info that the CO home was owned free and clear coming from, does anyone know?

Can someone link the documentation proving that to be the case, or is it just a rumor?

I'm genuinely curious.

We learned during the Berreth case that Colorado state property statutes require that mortgages and/or deeds of trust (secure real estate transaction) recorded. At time of purchase to date, there is no such recording of mtg for the Maysville residence, jointly owned by BM/SM. (Also, no reason to believe any multi-owned entities hiding financing of this or any other SM jointly owned properties). State property links in thread #1.

I do not at all believe this is going to happen, but here's my purely wishful thinking re: LE's press release today:

First, I'd love to see LE name a POI.
Not an official Suspect, as that has legal ramifications.
But strategically, I think naming a POI now would be a brilliant move on their part.
Here's why I say that:

Naming someone a "POI" has no actual legal weight or meaning, but it does raise public scrutiny of the individual.
It also has the potential of making people close to that person re-examine their interactions with that person, and possibly cause them to question their loyalty to that individual.
It would also increase the amount of pressure that individual would experience, both internally and externally.

Secondly, I'd love to see LE provide the public with info r/t the last verified independent sighting of SM, i.e., when and where she was last seen, and whether she was seen on video or by actual eyewitnesses.

Like I said: It ain't going to happen.
That was just a quick trip to Fantasy Island.
I'm back home in Realville now.

Not expecting any bombshells in LE's release today.

JMO.

Maybe they named someone a POI already privately and told that too the people they want to know and see what comes from it.
I think naming somebody a POI publicly is pretty risky and they need to make sure they play their cards right i think. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234