Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, This may actually an indication they are actually moving beyond BM. IMO this canvassing should have been concurrent w investigation, so it may be second time around. Somebody may still have something that will help.

If they have determined SM went missing before Mother’s Day, that puts BM’s story in serious question.

Snipped to be concise.
I'm thinking BM might be a "hardscape" kind of person. This would be more of a niche where there would be fewer contractors for customers to choose from. It might also have been fairly easy to come in with a low bid, get entry-door business for your start up, have a scheme to be in Denver on a regular basis, or a certain day.... In that case, I can see Denver being a possibility.
What gives me pause is that BM seemed to have been doing some very basic dirt moving at the construction site where LE was investigating. That job doesn't seem to fit at all into a picture of someone who can presumably command $$$ for landscaping.

I'm wondering if BM was having a bit of a challenge doing hardscape landscaping in CO vs IN. Indiana isn't known to be a mountainous or even a hilly place. It's been identified as being as flat as a pancake. So any landscaper who dealt with stuff like armour stone or terraced property would be creating the topographical interest rather than blasting out rock. Perhaps he went farther afield looking for jobs that would provide the level of income he made in Indiana.

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office
1 hr ·
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 13, 2020

On May 10, 2020 the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to County Road 225 and West Highway 50 on a report of a missing woman. Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home.

A search began immediately. Over the past 4 days over 100 search personnel from Chaffee County Search and Rescue, Department of Corrections, and the Chaffee County Combined Tac Team have scoured the area. Numerous Drones have been used for countless hours to assist in the search. 8 different tracking and scent dogs from the Department of Corrections and the Search and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search. Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue Teams have searched area watersheds and Reach Air Ambulance flew search missions as well, however Ms Morphew has yet to be located.

In conjunction with the search the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office began an investigation into the disappearance of Ms Morphew. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigations, the Salida Police Department, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations have joined the effort.

A dedicated tip line has been established by the Colorado Bureau of Investigations. That tip line number is 719-312-7530. Anyone with information into the disappearance of Ms Morphew are asked to call the tip line.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

Search fails to turn up Suzanne Morphew

“Eight tracking and scent dogs from the DOC and Rescue Dogs of Colorado were deployed to aid in the search.

“Members from Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the South Ark Swiftwater Rescue teams have searched area watersheds, and REACH air ambulance flew search missions as well,” Spezze said.

Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Salida Police Department, Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and FBI are investigating her disappearance.

A 49-year-old Colorado woman who went cycling on Mother's Day hasn't been seen since, according to the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office.

BB145xtG.img
© Chaffee County Sheriff's Office Suzanne Morphew went missing on Sunday, May 10.
Suzanne Morphew went missing in the area of County Road 225 and West Highway 50 west of Maysville, Colorado, on Sunday.

More than 100 search personnel, numerous drones, eight tracking and scent dogs, and flyover missions by Reach Air Ambulance have searched the area for any leads.

A Facebook page has been set up to find Morphew, and Morphew's husband Barry has pledged $100,000 for information that leads to her safe return. That reward has been increased to $200,000 thanks to a matching donation from a friend.

The FBI has set up a dedicated tip line at 719-312-7530 for any leads.

A woman went biking on Mother's Day. She hasn't been seen since

MAY 17, 2020
Husband of missing Colorado woman issues appeal
[...]

Suzanne Morphew, 49, went missing Mother's Day while mountain biking in Chaffee County, according to a Facebook page dedicated to her search.

Search efforts last week were in an area just west of County Road 225 and Highway 50, according to a news release from the county's Sheriff, John Spezze.

Morphew's nephew, Trevor Noel, told CBS4 Suzanne's bike was found the evening she went missing.

[...]

The search has included the use of drones, tracking dogs and swiftwater rescue teams, the latter of which have scoured nearby watersheds.

The size of the search is not unusual, Spezze said Thursday.

[...]

So, per the above, the authorities immediately - the day she was reported missing- began extensive searches of the area where her bike was found and continued on for several days, employing SAR, search/tracking/scent dogs, swift water rescue teams, air rescue teams, helicopters, drones, and 100 personnel.

The day after SM went missing, LE issued a press release stating she had not been found and it was an active “investigation.”

By day three authorities stated it was an “open criminal investigation” and declined to say whether the husband was cooperating or whether they believed foul play was involved. At that time property where the couple lived (if I’m reading that correctly) began to be searched.

By day four, LE stated it was an “open investigation” but would not rule out a criminal investigation. This seems to be a possible backtrack.

LE stated “no comment” when asked about her cell phone. By day four LE stated an animal attack was not probable.

By day four the CBI and FBI were part of the case/team. That could explain the backtracking, if that wasn’t reporter error.

Involved in the investigation, with investigators from each of these agencies working the case, are:

1. Investigators from the 11th Judicial District, Colorado Bureau of Investigation

2. Salida Police Department

3. Fremont County Sheriff’s Office

4. FBI

Two big wig operations that have excellent track records of solving cases, are involved. It appears that their involvement coincided with a change in tactic.

Last edited:
Suzanne Morphew disappearance: Sheriff announces county-wide canvass

On Wednesday, the sheriff’s office announced plans to conduct a community canvass in the county where more than two dozen officers will question residents and others who knew Morphew in hopes of generating new information in the case, according to a Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office news release. The FBI and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation are assisting the sheriff’s office.
and we really don't know how many times this has already been done since they didn't announce it via press release that I can find - so why now? hmmmm i like it.
JMO

Why did they not thoroughly search the construction site in East Salida. They dug a few holes. The whole site should have been bulldozed. I know this isn't an easy search for LE or the landowner, but if time is going to be invested in a search it should be done completely. I am not indicating anyones guilt or innocence. I am just saying the whole area should have been dug up. I won't believe there is nothing there unless it is.

Snipped to be concise.
I'm thinking BM might be a "hardscape" kind of person. This would be more of a niche where there would be fewer contractors for customers to choose from. It might also have been fairly easy to come in with a low bid, get entry-door business for your start up, have a scheme to be in Denver on a regular basis, or a certain day.... In that case, I can see Denver being a possibility.
What gives me pause is that BM seemed to have been doing some very basic dirt moving at the construction site where LE was investigating. That job doesn't seem to fit at all into a picture of someone who can presumably command $$$ for landscaping.
Perhaps he was a hands on guy, and didn’t mind getting his hand dirty, when was this done? Iow, I have gotten no indication that this is nefarious. If I owned foundation and I knew any of my contractors were remotely connected to a missing person disappearance, I would have a hard time going forward w/ framing. Redoing a foundation is a lot easier than rebuilding a house, or always wondering. JMO LE had equipment to do the least damage.

I
Why did they not thoroughly search the construction site in East Salida. They dug a few holes. The whole site should have been bulldozed. I know this isn't an easy search for LE or the landowner, but if time is going to be invested in a search it should be done completely. I am not indicating anyones guilt or innocence. I am just saying the whole area should have been dug up. I won't believe there is nothing there unless it is.
I have wondered this as well. It makes me curious if they found whatever it was they were looking for in that small patch. Why did they stop?

If they have determined SM went missing before Mother’s Day, that puts BM’s story in serious question.

If LE has determined that SM went missing before Mother's Day, BM's entire version of events has been exposed as being a total fabrication.

Simply stated: If they've been able to determine that, he's toast.

That's a big IF, of course.

JMO.

and we really don't know how many times this has already been done since they didn't announce it via press release that I can find - so why now? hmmmm i like it.
JMO
I agree, someone knows something and they are keeping quiet. I don't know the community. I said it earlier, I do understand LE has to be close mouthed most times but if that isn't working maybe it is time to get tongues wagging. It's a thing, everyone clams up until one person starts talking. Fear, culture, whatever.

Is it possible to do that? How big was the site? What would be destroyed if they did that? And I wonder if insurance would cover and costs to fix any damage.

IMO-stuff here...but I've always found LE's statement 'investigation revealed'... the bike ride: this was due to someone saying she'd gone on said ride & indeed finding the bike very quickly

However, since the bike ride has never been confirmed & if I'm correct never once mentioned by LE in their statements after that initial one PLUS - no mention of the bike ride in the release today...

LE knows the bike ride never happened & whomever suggested it is probably suspect numero uno

&.....I just can't help but feel that search of the property, the tearing up concrete, all those blatant pics of FBI sifting - it smacks a bit of LOOK OVER HERE to me

Maybe LE had every reason to search there but perhaps they wanted to see how any POI would react

ALSO perhaps it was a 'look over here' while they searched another area entirely, very quietly & with no fan-fare.....& that location was much more pertinent to the case

JMO

Respectfully, I don't believe it's factual that "they only dug a few holes" when searching private owners build site. According to the homeowner, it's believed that investigators used the latest technology that enables viewing underground before digging.

FYI, this latest technology also used for trenchless construction can save you thousands if you ever have a water leak beneath your concrete driveway. MOO

If LE has determined that SM went missing before Mother's Day, BM's entire version of events has been exposed as being a total fabrication.

Simply stated: If they've been able to determine that, he's toast.

That's a big IF, of course.

JMO.

LE's actions suggest to me that's exactly what's occurred

JMO

Is it possible to do that? How big was the site? What would be destroyed if they did that? And I wonder if insurance would cover and costs to fix any damage.

Exactly.

I don't think people always appreciate the practicalities involved in these investigations.
I mean, human life is priceless.
I believe that.

But practically speaking, these LEAs have budgets.
They have a responsibility to be good stewards of the taxpayers' dollars, as well.
They do not have unlimited resources at their disposal for every case.

Case in point: I'm hearkening back to the landfill search for Kelsey.
That went on for weeks…LE spent countless man hours searching for her there.
Under extremely adverse conditions, and at great, great expense.

There came a point at which someone had to say: "Enough. We're calling it."
Money is not an inexhaustible resource.
Neither is manpower.
At some point, if you don't uncover any evidence that you're looking in the right spot, you have to concede that you gave it everything you could, and came up empty.

I hate that they had to stop searching that landfill, because I'm convinced Kelsey is still there.
I hate that they stopped, but I understand why they stopped.

I'm much more dubious that LE was searching in the right location for SM.
Much smaller area, for one thing.
If they found nothing, I think it's because there was nothing there to be found.

JMO.

Last edited:
I suspect the answer to that question is that it's because LE's progress to date has enabled them to narrow their focus considerably.

I don't believe for one second that they're out knocking on random doors across the county today.

They know when and where SM was last seen outside of the home, and they're working their timeline to see what additional evidence they can collect to continue following the trail…not only of SM, but of their (unnamed) suspect as well.

I think as a result of evidence analysis, they have some identified areas they'd like to canvas, specifically to ask for any video footage that businesses and/or homeowners might have saved from between May 8th - May 12th.

I think what we're seeing today is an example of how "way leads unto way."

One thing leads to another.

They're making headway.

JMO.

And also asking people not to talk to the press is a lot different than asking them not to talk to each other. Maysville is very small and Salida, though much bigger seems to have a small town vibe. You can't tell me that people haven't talked to each other about SM's disappearance. It's human nature to discuss, compare and form opinions about information. Gossip is everywhere and small town are even more susceptible to it. Factual or not.

I suspect the answer to that question is that it's because LE's progress to date has enabled them to narrow their focus considerably.

I don't believe for one second that they're out knocking on random doors across the county today.

They know when and where SM was last seen outside of the home, and they're working their timeline to see what additional evidence they can collect to continue following the trail…not only of SM, but of their (unnamed) suspect as well.

I think as a result of evidence analysis, they have some identified areas they'd like to canvas, specifically to ask for any video footage that businesses and/or homeowners might have saved from between May 8th - May 12th.

I think what we're seeing today is an example of how "way leads unto way."

One thing leads to another.

They're making headway.

JMO.
That’s great news. I have been following another case that has been moving really fast and then saw the post here that authorities may go canvassing door to door.

I am hoping Suzanne can be found. From the beginning of this case, I have wondered why authorities didn’t talk to residents and get more information. Maybe now they will review security video from other homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia