Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Attorneys. Should LE Flyer Mention BM's Offer of Reward?
If LE asked you about whether fam reward info should be included in LE flyer, SM, etc, what would you advise? What would influence your adv? If Sheriff disclosed to you, LE investigation results are likely to lead to arrest (of __), would that influence your advice? All hypothetical. TiA.

I don’t know. I wish I did. But I’m not a profiler and they would know the psychological tactics to use.

It is clear to me that the husband feels he is a suspect so including the reward to pander to him wouldn’t do any good at this stage, given how serious the searches of property associated with him, have been.

I don’t know what purpose omitting it would serve except to send a message to friends and family and to BM that they’re not buying it?

All hypothetical.

I quoted the and posted the article, the homeowner’s of the property called and let them know that BM had been there laying dirt. It was remarkable to them when they found out SM was missing.
Wouldn't the homeowner have to live in the area at this time in order to have that knowledge? Homeowners don't schedule subcontractors, the general contractor does that. It's his/her job. IMO

Yes, I remember that you posted that now, thanks !

I meant is there anything else that would stand out to LE as far as evidence or clues ?

Hypothetically, if they found out about extramarital relationships, problems in the marriage, comments by a spouse to others that if she disappears, her husband did it, plans to divorce, a temper, strange behaviors surrounding the disappearance, relating to the spouse, inexplicable phone activity, internet searches on how to kill or dispose of a body, statements to others about that kind of thing, major financial pressures, etc.

But it has to be a lot. Not just one little, circumstantial thing. But a big picture, IMO.

I agree. They have to have probable cause that a crime was committed. That probable cause will be laid out in the search warrant.

That search is what really causes me to look in one direction with this case. The CBI and FBI are involved in the case. The CBI is pretty amazing from what I’ve seen. The FBI are no slouches either.

They have something. And it’s not vague.

Has it been verified that a SW was obtained for that property? It sounded like the owner was cooperating and thus the search could have been consensual and no warrant needed.

The spouse of the missing person would not have standing to challenge the search of this property.

No Reward Mentioned in LE Flyer?
Trying to think about whether this ^ is unusual. LE flyers, FB pages etc often includes $ reward for MisPers info from CrimeStoppers/similar groups which coordinate w LE --- group holds funds, forwards info to LE, & if LE detemines tip was useful in making arrest, then group transfers $ to tipster, who remains anonymous. LE knows the $$$ is 'there,' actually available. FBI offers FBI $.*

Trying to recall whether, other cases in which MP's relative/family announced reward for info leading to safe return, to arrest, or conviction. Have LE flyers, announcements etc included that info? Or just the family/friends/ private party's flyers & SM? Or
LE has also incorporated that in its SM & public announcements?
Examples of fam/private rewards?? Natalee Hollaway in Aruba, 2005.** $1,000,000 - mother for safe return; and

$100,000 - info leading to possible remains.*** Was that included in LE flyers, SM? Other examples?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* FBI ex's from FBI'sTop Ten list: "The FBI is offering a reward of up to $100,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of [name]." and "The FBI is offering a reward of up to $100,000 for information leading directly to the arrest of [name]" Ten Most Wanted Fugitives — FBI ^
** Disappearance of Natalee Holloway - Wikipedia
*** CNN.com - Aruba case reward rises to $1 million - Jul 26, 2005

The entire flyer consists of twenty words, one phone number, two photographs and a badge logo. For comparison, it took Lauren Scharf, who is a journeyman reporter, 32 words to describe it on Twitter, a medium known for brevity.
We could talk forever about what is NOT contained in the flyer. The list is seemingly endless. IMO

Last edited:
Attorneys. Should LE Flyer Mention BM's Offer of Reward?
If LE asked you about whether fam reward info should be included in LE flyer, SM, etc, what would you advise? What would influence your adv? If Sheriff disclosed to you, LE investigation results are likely to lead to arrest (of __), would that influence your advice? All hypothetical. TiA.

Other than the missing person's name, pictures and the tip line number, the flyer does not seem to have any information on it?

Not sure what to make of this flyer?

I agree. They have to have probable cause that a crime was committed. That probable cause will be laid out in the search warrant.

That search is what really causes me to look in one direction with this case. The CBI and FBI are involved in the case. The CBI is pretty amazing from what I’ve seen. The FBI are no slouches either.

They have something. And it’s not vague.
If he told LE he had been in Denver that day would that be enough probable cause?

I just don't know what it is with this case. I still believe BM is innocent. Maybe me and 2 other people on here!

If you asked me why, I would say gut feeling. Which I myself know is silly and not enough.
I know that's not how it works here. Especially when everything LE are doing is pointing towards him being a suspect.

I just feel there is something else we don't understand going on behind the scene. There are many little things that nag at me.

The fact there haven't been any ill words said against their marriage or word of an affair also makes me they genuinely are happily married.

But I think the major part of my hesitation is the recent awful case of Heidi Broussard.

I absolutely had the fiancee already convicted in my mind. The interviews he gave, the turning the phone on silent, referring to his baby daughter as a woman. I was sure he was guilty. We all know how the case ended. :eek:

I also think that is why the MODS are so hot on this thread about not sleuthing the husband. Because you never, ever know.

MOO

It is very lonely on this side of the fence and I accept I'll probably come crawling, embarrassed over to the other side in the future. Not yet though. :oops:

I think because BM is a good-looking man, and specifically because he is not businessman-like, more like a “nice neighbor next door” type, it might be harder to believe that he is implicated in SM’s disappearance. Especially since they both made such a handsome couple, and SM’s posts were nice, one wants to believe that she was happy despite all her life circumstances.

Here is the article that I am sure many have read. In 55% of cases it is an intimate partner, and 83% in total, it is someone the victim knew. So statistically speaking, the “stranger abduction” theory is not likely. And if it is not the husband, then one has to look at other people surrounding SM.

What really surprised me is nr. 1 some researchers list as nr 1 reason for killing an intimate partner.

The Twisted Reasons Why Some Husbands Kill Their Wives

Last edited:
I listened to the recording of Dad with a pocket(?) . One thing that struck me is that a personal item was found and LE did not let BM know what it is. One of two thoughts either LE withheld this deliberately for a reason or BM does not want to share that info. as it may not make him look good. Another thought his neighbor could tell her car was there but her bike was missing. Had she a key( BM asked the neighbor to report her missing to the Police, why would he not have reported it?

Last edited:
Nearly two dozen cops re-canvass the neighborhood where mom-of-two went missing a month ago | Daily Mail Online

June 10, 2020

'On June 10, investigators plan to conduct a community canvas in the county to contact residents and others to not only share information about Ms. Morphew's disappearance, but also focus on obtaining any new information in her case,' he added.

'Nearly two dozen members of law enforcement will take part in this comprehensive effort on Wednesday.'

The Colorado Bureau of Investigation, which along with the Federal Bureau of Investigation is aiding the search, has said the case remains a high priority despite the lack of new information. [,,]

'There hasn't been any real new information to relay in the case other than investigators are working,' Susan Medina with the CBI told The Denver Channel.

'Our agents are working closely with the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office, and the FBI has a team as well assigned to this. Committed — there's a high level of commitment to this case,' she said.

'You may not see a news release on a daily basis but that doesn't mean that extensive work isn't happening on a daily basis. … Countless hours every day by agents and analysts and investigators to determine where Suzanne is and what happened.'

Suzanne Morphew disappeared on Mother's Day, May 10, from her million-dollar Maysville mansion.

Is this the first extensive community canvas? Because in the first week of her missing they did an extensive search of the area with search teams, dogs, ect.
But I can't find any information on a community canvas, specifically. Maybe for one this they announced it publicly, it says re-canvass, so...

I think because BM is a good-looking man, and specifically because he is not businessman-like, more like a “nice neighbor next door” type, it might be harder to believe that he is implicated in SM’s disappearance. Especially since they both made such a handsome couple, and SM’s posts were nice, one wants to believe that she was happy despite all her life circumstances.

Here is the article that I am sure many have read. In 55% of cases it is an intimate partner, and 83% in total, it is someone the victim knew. So statistically speaking, the “stranger abduction” theory is not likely. And if it is not the husband, then one has to look at other people surrounding SM.

What really surprised me is nr. 1 some researchers list as nr 1 reason for killing an intimate partner.

The Twisted Reasons Why Some Husbands Kill Their Wives

BBM

This may be true for some people who believe he is innocent, but certainly not for me.

I believe he is innocent, not because of the way he looks (I actually find muscles quite ugly).

MOO

It really sort of clinches it for me. Digging up property after using high tech equipment to scan for something isn’t done on a whim.

That’s serious business. They have something significant to be able to get a judge to sign off on that.
I also don't think this was just consent from the owner without a warrant.

This is the event that makes me think the case is solved, they are just gathering up enough evidence to get a conviction.

Think about it. They didn't dig up the whole foundation, they dug up one small square. Presumably he laid dirt over the whole area and had access to the entire site but LE focuses on just 50 sq feet? The whole site would look disturbed with ground penetrating radar, it was a construction site.

Perhaps they did retrieve something there, we wouldn't know; except they allowed construction to proceed making it almost impossible to go back there.

There had to be a specific, credible reason.

I think LE now has a good idea of where the individual phones were at and ready to get input from the community of when and where they happened to see any of the Morphew family.

I don't think it will be of any surprise to learn that SM really went missing prior to the weekend.

I will also not be surprised to learn that SM's phone may have been sending texts to her daughters while it was being paired inches apart from BM's phone (a la PF methodology).
This has crossed my mind so many times.

Re: the flyer and reward. Would LE ever promote a reward that wasnt offered through Crimestoppers (where the money is held in escrow by a third party)? I thought it was determined early on that BMs reward offer wasnt done through LE and therefore eould be considered "unofficial" as the CCSO wouldn't vouch for something that frankly is completely in BMs control. Not to say BM wouldn't pay it if SM was found, but it appears there is an official way LE offers rewards and BM isnt using it... MOO, JMO

I think LE is finally beginning to realize they went about this backwards and that their initial focus on BM may have been in error. Searches focused on him have turned up nothing, so now they start canvassing neighbors in the area? That should have been done the second day.

But here’s the really telling thing—the poster shows Suzanne in a bike helmet. If they didn’t think she disappeared while on a bike ride, why in the world would they put out a poster a month after she disappeared showing her wearing a bike helmet????

I think they’re coming around.

Re: the flyer and reward. Would LE ever promote a reward that wasnt offered through Crimestoppers (where the money is held in escrow by a third party)? I thought it was determined early on that BMs reward offer wasnt done through LE and therefore eould be considered "unofficial" as the CCSO wouldn't vouch for something that frankly is completely in BMs control. Not to say BM wouldn't pay it if SM was found, but it appears there is an official way LE offers rewards and BM isnt using it... MOO, JMO
I think crime stoppers May require rewards to be funded at the time of offering them at a bank so that others may also contribute and they potentially can be refunded - that’s how I’ve seen it handled in the past
JMO

Thank you for sharing your expertise and working with these amazing K9s. I've been a member on a dog team and it is so cool to watch them work (never the trailing dogs, always HRD or air-scent).

Also, I've been meaning to ask as I have never encountered this on any searches - does the missing subject being on a bike affect a dog's ability to pick up scent (either trailing or air scent)?

Some folks really like the position of a Flanker on a SAR K9 team. Such an important role for the safety of the mission.

IMO, I don't think someone being on a bike really matters. Example, IMO, if a baby is lifted out of a stroller and carried off, you still track the baby. Another example, IMO, if a child leaves his/her home on a bike then doesn't return, you start the dog at the home.

Has it been verified that a SW was obtained for that property? It sounded like the owner was cooperating and thus the search could have been consensual and no warrant needed.

The spouse of the missing person would not have standing to challenge the search of this property.
At this point the information on a search warrant isn't available to us.

That said, your post made me think about pros and cons of a search warrant.

Altho the next 2 paragraphs maybe hard to comprehend (they were for me at first) they can be understood.

"Searches conducted outside the judicial process, without prior approval of judge or magistrate, are per se unreasonable under the Fourth Amendment." (Katz v. U.S.) This means whenever you rely on an exception instead of getting a warrant, your prosecutor will have the burden of convincing the court not to suppress resulting evidence.

On the other hand, when you search under a warrant, the defense will have the burden of showing some substantial defect in the warrant, or some mistake in your service of it, before the court could suppress the evidence. This is because the courts have expressed a "preference for police action taken under a warrant as against searches and seizures without one," and have said that "a search under a warrant may be sustainable where one without it would fail. (U.S. v. Ventresca)"

Seeing that this is a high profile, possible murder case---it would be extraordinary if they hadn't obtain search warrants.

Search Warrant Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member