Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some folks really like the position of a Flanker on a SAR K9 team. Such an important role for the safety of the mission.

IMO, I don't think someone being on a bike really matters. Example, IMO, if a baby is lifted out of a stroller and carried off, you still track the baby. Another example, IMO, if a child leaves his/her home on a bike then doesn't return, you start the dog at the home.
And from what we know nothing came of these Early searches IMO So does that mean she was never there recently? How long does your scent stay ?

Is this the first extensive community canvas? Because in the first week of her missing they did an extensive search of the area with search teams, dogs, ect.
But I can't find any information on a community canvas, specifically. Maybe for one this they announced it publicly, it says re-canvass, so...
Since we were told she disappeared on a bike road near her home which is an extensive property (acres) why would a community canvas immediately be necessary other than the trails and the homes near their property what would be the point? Did she ride her bike or not? jmo

I think LE is finally beginning to realize they went about this backwards and that their initial focus on BM may have been in error. Searches focused on him have turned up nothing, so now they start canvassing neighbors in the area? That should have been done the second day.

But here’s the really telling thing—the poster shows Suzanne in a bike helmet. If they didn’t think she disappeared while on a bike ride, why in the world would they put out a poster a month after she disappeared showing her wearing a bike helmet????

I think they’re coming around.

They state it is a re-canvass. This also would be the eleventh major search of the area. Back in May (15th) they also closed of a section of the 50 and searched a 2,5 mile area. So perhaps they are going back to the community and start from there, again...

The entire flyer consists of twenty words, one phone number, two photographs and a badge logo. For comparison, it took Lauren Scharf, who is a journeyman reporter, 32 words to describe it on Twitter, a medium known for brevity.
We could talk forever about what is NOT contained in the flyer. The list is seemingly endless. IMO
Yes, we could talk endlessly on the flyer.

1. Because there isn't new information and we are hashing out what we can get our hands on.

Or

2. Because there is a principle behind this LE specific designed missing persons flyer.

LE made it clear to the public their canvassing was two fold---to give information about SW and to receive information about SW.

Their flyer is directly aimed at accomplishing this.

Yes, we could talk endlessly on the flyer.

1. Because there isn't new information and we are hashing out what we can get our hands on.

Or

2. Because there is a principle behind this LE specific designed missing persons flyer.

LE made it clear to the public their canvassing was two fold---to give information about SW and to receive information about SW.

Their flyer is directly aimed at accomplishing this.
#2 - Interesting and valid perception. I had not thought of it like this.

IMO:

Partners wanting to or suddenly doing harm to the other are not usually following criminal and murder cases, certainly not like those on WS. Their attention, for the most part, remains on themselves, their lives, their own needs and wants. They don't analyze cases and figure out the outcome and realize most of the time the intimate partner gets caught...eventually.

Is this the first extensive community canvas? Because in the first week of her missing they did an extensive search of the area with search teams, dogs, ect.
But I can't find any information on a community canvas, specifically. Maybe for one this they announced it publicly, it says re-canvass, so...
BBM
But it doesn't say re-canvass.

"CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
June 10, 2020...On June 10, investigators plan to conduct a community canvas in the county to contact residents and others to not only share information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance, but also focus on obtaining any new information in her case. Nearly two dozen members of law enforcement will take part in this comprehensive effort on Wednesday.
The public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530."

IMO:

Based on seeing LE put out flyers in other cases, one of the reasons, besides generating leads and tips, is because they have to demonstrate to a future jury they utilized various tactics in trying to locate the "missing person." A defense attorney will try to claim their client was arrested due to a "rush to judgement." This is like defense attorney 101, which became well-known in 1995 with the OJ Simpson case.

Showing the jury multiple efforts were made to look for the victim, talk to anyone who could have seen them, follow every tip and lead, not hastily arrest anyone without developing the evidence, is the anecdote to those oft-used defense claims.

/IMO

BBM

This may be true for some people who believe he is innocent, but certainly not for me.

I believe he is innocent, not because of the way he looks (I actually find muscles quite ugly).

MOO

Described a few threads in the past was a discussion about what's called the "Halo Effect." Studies done show people deemed attractive tend to be assigned positive character traits by those who find them attractive. It's in the category of cognitive biases.

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

Ok that worked. I was trying to take a photo instead to get rid of all those annoying adds. It says KBI called in and it was a homicide so wouldn’t CBI communicate with KBI on this to make sure it’s not SM? There are many other local news sources in Sumner County, KS reporting on this besides “NewsCow” whatever that means but this was the latest.

That's why I asked earlier in this thread. Daily Mail Online says this:
Police are re-canvassing the community Wednesday a month after she went missing in the hope of finding new leads.

Chaffee County Sheriff says this:
Suzanne Morphew update June 10 - Chaffee County Sheriff
Keep in mind that reporters/the media can sometimes get details incorrect or otherwise use wording that nuances the meaning of something. Humans are writing articles based on their own understanding and interpretations.

To play devil’s advocate it has happened before in a few cases where an abductor rams his car into a woman who is riding a bike and once she’s incapacitated, he takes her away to do god knows what with her.

I also have not completely ruled out an abduction/assault theory yet either but I would think if a car made contact with the bike or was stalking her bike, there would be some evidence of that (tire tracks on dirt road? damage to the bike?). Also the fact that she was mountain biking (but it seems wasn't on a trail at the point the bike was found?) makes it less likely to encounter a car/human predator. It would be a bold attack to have happened down their driveway as she was leaving the house on bike, grab her (and possibly the bike?) then toss bike a short distance further? Without more details on the personal item and possible route, it is hard to hypotesize plausible scenarios. In the Amy Bechtel disappearance, the husband was under suspicion for years and years until they finally linked her disappearance to serial killer Dale Wayne Eaton. She was out in remote Wyoming backroads when she disappeared.

The only "red flag" to me personally about BM is the self-produced video and mostly it is just strange. The other youtube interview, in my eyes, could be interpreted in a lot of ways (guilty or innocent) because I have no idea what his baseline behavior is. There are some cases, like Leticia Stauch, where the second they opened their mouth, there was no longer a fence to sit on. In this case it is mostly LE's response and statistics that make me lean towards BM involvement.

They misrepresented the press release then.
Sad...
:0(
Happens more often than you'd believe. In my area the local newspaper crime reporter makes errors, little and not-so-little, fairly often. She is frequently corrected by those who know the case details, and she then edits and re-edits. It's not malicious by any reporter, they're just fallible humans and what they think they hear or read gets interpreted and put in their own words.

It's one reason of many why media reports and articles are not evidence.

It really sort of clinches it for me. Digging up property after using high tech equipment to scan for something isn’t done on a whim.

That’s serious business. They have something significant to be able to get a judge to sign off on that.

What if...
the property owners contacted LE themselves because...
they heard SM was missing, had just recently hired BM to do the dirt work, and he was there, on site, on Mother's Day Sunday.
A big contradiction in his story about being in Denver, which would of course send up a huge red flag to LE.
That might explain "Investigators say the search was initiated based on “information developed during the Suzanne Morphew missing person case."

I guess that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member