Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
First post- been reading since the beginning of this case. I follow a lot of true crime, however, this is my first time on WS.

I find everyone’s thoughts and perspectives helpful and fascinating.

@oviedo thank you for sharing this article. It really touched me how personal these investigators take these cases and helps me understand the current silence.

Jumping off your post, IceIce9, because you mentioned a mountain lion. Yesterday, near me, a four-year-old boy was attacked by a mountain lion. He was with his parents, walking in a nature preserve. He was scratched on his back and thigh, and is expected to recover. The lion was found and killed later by a fish and game officer:

Wildlife officials confirm mountain lion linked to attack on child

4:18 PM PDT June 13, 2020

>>>snip

SAN DIEGO — A 4-year-old child was recovering Saturday from minor injuries following an attack by a mountain lion at the Blue Sky Ecological Reserve in Poway, according to a California Department of Fish and Wildlife spokesperson.

That incident happened Friday afternoon at about 2:40 p.m., when the boy was walking in the reserve with several family members. California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) officers responded to the scene ...

(article continues)

<<<snip

Not much help for us fence-sitters
a010.gif
, I'm afraid, but this story did tilt me little bit backwards. I know, no evidence of such an attack here. But, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...right?

First post- been reading since the beginning of this case. I follow a lot of true crime, however, this is my first time on WS.

I find everyone’s thoughts and perspectives helpful and fascinating.

@oviedo thank you for sharing this article. It really touched me how personal these investigators take these cases and helps me understand the current silence.
Welcome to WS! and you are most welcome. Sometimes we get impatient for news and it helps me to remember how much is being done that we simply won't know about until it is released.
JMO

With there only being one high school in a town the size of Salida, I don't think it's unusual that two teens of presumably the same age group would know each other. I also wouldn't think it unusual that their fathers would know each other as there is usually some interaction between LE and firefighters.

Not unusual at all. Gives us a little glimpse of the context, in which all these various characters would have some interaction (or hear of each other).

If LE is still investigating BM (which seems pretty certain), the recent walkabout that LE took around town will probably turn up corroboration of any stories that they've been hearing through regular social interaction. Everybody knows everybody. This case is so unusual in that way (the "small town" aspect - where LE can actually canvas nearly all the residents of the town).

Sooooo, I am starting over again, believing BM to be an innocent man?
I did not rule out a ml, based on rarity, I didn’t need all the wonderful articles linked here. I had done enough research years ago when they began reintroducing them in Pa.
The reason given was overpopulation in CA WAS pushing them slowly eastward, thus not affecting the crisis of overcrowding quickly enough.
The crisis being the increased interactions between humans and big cats.

I made decision to put this low on possibilities, based on searches by professionals, also BMs friends, also skilled.
I have no way of disputing them, so I moved on hopefully to more productive areas. MOO

Sounds like he's being so very careful in what he says. Walking a very thin line in trying to sound sincere and being careful not to say too much. OTOH, he may be so distraught, he can't remember what he said. It's hard to know. I think he's walking a very thin tightrope trying to keep things straight.

I'm not taking up for the nephew but my nephew and niece from my husband's side of the family would say, "That is my Aunt Mel" and wouldn't reference it was on my husband's side unless asked. I've been in their lives since they were itty bitty so they know me just as well as their dad's brother (my husband). Just thinking it may not have been intentional but it totally could have been we just don't know.

In the “interview “ with TD, BM says the girls texted mom, mom never responded, girls called the neighbor, and the neighbor called BM. BM asked neighbor to contact the police. MOO

What an unusual series of events.

First, the girls called the neighbor instead of their own dad? And this is on a Sunday afternoon/Mother’s Day no less?

Then, when the neighbor calls BM, BM asks the neighbor to call 911 for his own wife?

I can think of various scenarios of how this could happen but none of them seem logical if BM is completely innocent.

It's a given that cellular service at the residence is poor and we have no information on a landline.

It doesn't follow that no response by SM would warrant the daughters to contact a neighbor living a distance away, and bypass BM -- especially given that it would not be so far fetched to think dad might know where mom is or that they might even be together, right?

I do think the daughters had contact with BM and that he had knowledge that their neighbor was called (if he didn't suggest this himself). This has never sat right with me and I still think the neighbor was unfairly interjected into this story.

MOO

I'm not taking up for the nephew but my nephew and niece from my husband's side of the family would say, "That is my Aunt Mel" and wouldn't reference it was on my husband's side unless asked. I've been in their lives since they were itty bitty so they know me just as well as their dad's brother (my husband). Just thinking it may not have been intentional but it totally could have been we just don't know.
He also referred to BM as "the husband" ...not my Uncle ...or Barry.

Can anyone copy and paste this in a private message to me? I can't read it due to living in europe. :)
Done.

I'm sorry you can't get the 9news video portion for the story as it humanizes the investigators hearing the emotion in their voices. I also suggest accessing Jennifer Meckles (9News) twitter or FB as the content or her story may be accessible outside USA in that format.

Jennifer Meckles@jennifermeckles

Jennifer Meckles

Done.

I'm sorry you can't get the 9news video portion for the story as it humanizes the investigators hearing the emotion in their voices. I also suggest accessing Jennifer Meckles (9News) twitter or FB as the content or her story may be accessible outside USA in that format.

Jennifer Meckles@jennifermeckles

Jennifer Meckles

Thank you! Yeah i will see if i can search it up on youtube. :)

It's a given that cellular service at the residence is poor and we have no information on a landline.

It doesn't follow that no response by SM would warrant the daughters to contact a neighbor living a distance away, and bypass BM -- especially given that it would not be so far fetched to think dad might know where mom is or that they might even be together, right?

I do think the daughters had contact with BM and that he had knowledge that their neighbor was called (if he didn't suggest this himself). This has never sat right with me and I still think the neighbor was unfairly interjected into this story.

MOO
I find it odd that a female senior citizen neighbor was selected to venture to the Morphew homestead to investigate a missing person. Did anyone consider that if this was indeed a case of foul play that she would possibly be endangering herself? At that point, according to the timeline, no one had any idea where SM was or what her circumstances were. For all they knew, she could have been a victim of a home invasion with the perps still on the premises.
Therefore, it would make more sense for BM to ask one of his firefighting or landscaping contacts to check it out. Unless perhaps he already knew that the neighbor wouldn't be endangering herself.

Sooooo, I am starting over again, believing BM to be an innocent man?
I did not rule out a ml, based on rarity, I didn’t need all the wonderful articles linked here. I had done enough research years ago when they began reintroducing them in Pa.
The reason given was overpopulation in CA WAS pushing them slowly eastward, thus not affecting the crisis of overcrowding quickly enough.
The crisis being the increased interactions between humans and big cats.

I made decision to put this low on possibilities, based on searches by professionals, also BMs friends, also skilled.
I have no way of disputing them, so I moved on hopefully to more productive areas. MOO

He also referred to BM as "the husband" ...not my Uncle ...or Barry.
That seems fishy unless he thought the world of SM and thought BM was a jerk. I actually just left a comment for my niece earlier on Facebook. She put her dad as her profile pic and I said I love him like my brothers and he will always be my BIL (my sister divorced him 30+ years ago). Her next husband was a piece of poo but she married him for his money and he treated her and my niece like crap. I'll never forgive my sister for doing that to my niece. All families have issues I suppose - some a little more than others.

IMO sometimes LE or the family of a missing person does not provide many updates simply because there is not anything to update on.

In this case, LE did extensive searches in the areas around the missing person's house and where the bike was found. This was done in the first week. Clearly, the bike and the area around where it was found were important to LE. Whether the bike was planted/staged as some speculate or it came to rest there as a result of a ride, there would be key evidence in this area, especially in early May when vegatation at high-altitude is just starting to grow. Also, because these bike trails tend to be dirt tracks there could be many signs or evidence that point to the how the bike got there. LE focused on this area and it appears they have exhausted any leads around the missing person's house and area where the bike was discovered.

LE also secured and searched the missing person's house within the first week of the search. This SW has been verified by LE and it is currently sealed. Whatever evidence was gathered during this search has likely been analyzed and any scientific testing is either done or is being conducted. This search and the results could lead to more searches or subpeona's being issued. We simply do not know at this point. What we do know is the LE acknowledged this search and ultimately released the house back to the family.

Next, LE searched a job site of the missing person's spouse. We do not know if a SW was used or if it was a consent search. No mention of SW by LE, just that the homeowner was not a suspect and was cooperating. This smells of consent search, which is 100% lawful, IMEO. LE searched several days and acknowledged such to the press. The search ended with nothing being tied to the missing person, "at that time". Again, whatever, if anything, was collected there has already been analyzed and any scientific tests would be completed or being conducted.

Last week, LE did some canvassing in Salida. The handed out a flyer that contained very little information. They seemed to be reaching out to the public for tips. They let the media know about the event and what they were doing.

It could be that there is really nothing new for LE or the family to report on in this case?

There are clusters of missing person cases in the Rocky, Cascade and Sierra Nevada Mountain ranges were people seem to vanish off the face of the earth with little trace or logical explanation. Frankly, it happens everywhere in the world and in urban areas as well. People just go missing, are never found and there is never any evidence that explains what happens.

It is too early in this case to determine if this is one of those missing persons cases or not.

I find it odd that a female senior citizen neighbor was selected to venture to the Morphew homestead to investigate a missing person. Did anyone consider that if this was indeed a case of foul play that she would possibly be endangering herself? At that point, according to the timeline, no one had any idea where SM was or what her circumstances were. For all they knew, she could have been a victim of a home invasion with the perps still on the premises.
Therefore, it would make more sense for BM to ask one of his firefighting or landscaping contacts to check it out. Unless perhaps he already knew that the neighbor wouldn't be endangering herself.

@DearPrudence, excellent point.

Wouldn't a remote luxury house nestled among mostly AirBnbs during a pandemic in an area with spotty mobile coverage be a shiny target for a home invasion?

moo

Nevermind that we're talking about one of the community's emergency responders (volunteer firefighter) that could not ask another firefighter or LE officer to do a welfare check on his wife?!!

In the age of technology, even I from states away can call or text Salida 911 and request a welfare check on somebody I'm concerned about.

Also, from previous accounts that BM's continues driving his big truck still adorning his IN tags (for more than two years), I'm pretty sure that he's recognized as a firefighter -- all knowing that many foreign plates in town belong to firefighters that are exempt from securing Colorado tags for their vehicles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member