Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CSI Effect is a real phenomenon and a real thorn in the side of any prosecutor who has a good solid circumstantial case.

Having spoke to hundreds of jurors and potential jurors over the years about their TV habits I was suprised at how all over the map they tend to be.

During CSI's ratings heyday only a couple of people per panel admitted to watching CSI. Law and Order was more popular, but still less than I suspected. A consistent number say they did not really watch any particular show. It is always some of more light-hearted portion of Voir Dire.

IMO jurors are more sophisticated then most people, including attorneys, think.

IMO most civil and criminal jury trials come down to the truth and credibility.

Last edited:
I could be way off here but I think we are reading into the "wealth" part of the equation too much. He has a nice enough house. LLCs are common practice when owning a business, you can start one online in 5 minutes for state fees. Adding "directors" to a charitable organizations is not that big a deal. Having a lawyer and an accountant is just good business practice. People with offshore bank accounts don't need to be added to a 30,000 GF* account. IMO
Yeah, one would think he wouldn't need a G** account. I don't know why 'we' shouldn't be concerned about marital funds. I don't know the statistics but I'm pretty sure that $$$ is one of the biggest motives in killing a spouse, if that were the case. Not saying it is but it's surely a possibility.
I wonder if they had life insurance policies. Most people with their means do.
I also wonder what was in those boxes/bins/bags that were toted out of the home when searched.
Somehow I doubt they consisted of evidence of a murder.

Perhaps it’s because I have a suspicious mind that, in my opinion, the elderly neighbor wasn’t an accidental or coincidental choice for initiating the 911 call. If someone intended for the first LE contact to be the most benign, least suspicious, most trustworthy, non threatening, non familial relative; then an elderly female neighbor is an excellent choice.
I doubt he even asked the neighbor to call 911.

Perhaps it’s because I have a suspicious mind that, in my opinion, the elderly neighbor wasn’t an accidental or coincidental choice for initiating the 911 call. If someone intended for the first LE contact to be the most benign, least suspicious, most trustworthy, non threatening, non familial relative; then an elderly female neighbor is an excellent choice.
As I remember, it's suggested that the nieghbor was used for making the 911 call only after the daughters were running late...seems like the daughters were expected to make that call when they arrived to an empty house. For some reason BM did not seem to want to be in charge of calling 911. Moo

Now that BM has power of attorney over SM's interests, along with their once joint interests, we won't hear about any further liquidations of properties and/or assets. Even if someone digs into it, it can take months or more for RE records to post. Forget about money transfers.
Just an aside, I only recently became aware of a completely legal yet really sketchy practice of real estate dealings in NY, regarding contractors that own and renovate homes or buildings. They reno the property and transfer ownership to a spouse, family member/partner at an inflated price (without any $ actually exchanging hands).
In doing so, they inflate the market value to ask higher prices. When renovating multiple homes at a time, and they typically do, they'll wait a year (or less) or even two sometimes (because of tax purposes) to place the property back on the market. It's not rocket science but my mind just doesn't work that way. I know, in hindsight, I'm dumb as wood.
What I'm getting at is it only takes A DAY to do these back and forth 'sales'. One lawyer and everyone's happy.
Maybe Gitana can verify.

He got a temporary guardianship and the authority to complete the sale of property they had both agreed to. He doesn’t have power of attorney, although a guardianship could be as good as or better. But it can also be limited.

I don’t believe he has the power to sell or transfer any more of her assets at the moment.

As I remember, it's suggested that the nieghbor was used for making the 911 call only after the daughters were running late...seems like the daughters were expected to make that call when they arrived to an empty house. For some reason BM did not seem to want to be in charge of calling 911. Moo

BBM

yeah, those calls are recorded for future analysis.

I find it odd that a female senior citizen neighbor was selected to venture to the Morphew homestead to investigate a missing person. Did anyone consider that if this was indeed a case of foul play that she would possibly be endangering herself? At that point, according to the timeline, no one had any idea where SM was or what her circumstances were. For all they knew, she could have been a victim of a home invasion with the perps still on the premises.
Therefore, it would make more sense for BM to ask one of his firefighting or landscaping contacts to check it out. Unless perhaps he already knew that the neighbor wouldn't be endangering herself.

It’s also odd that they supposedly asked her to call 911. Why would they? Why not just call themselves?

Thanks for your thoughts on this @J.M. Bee. If indeed LE found the bike and it was before BM got home, who reported to him? I can see LE saying to him when he arrived on the scene, “We’ve found your wife’s bike, but we haven’t found her yet.” I can’t see them telling him that they really screwed up, that they trampled all over the scene, and oh by the way, “we let ten people touch it”.
If I arrived there and it was my wife I would be asking, “Are you sure she’s not there?, Have you searched all around here?”
My thoughts on why it may be important who found the bike: If Barry found it that close to the home, when he got back from Denver after dark and after LE had already been searching for a couple of hours, it would be suspect to me. If LE found it but didn’t tell him all the particulars, how did he know how and where it was found as well as the position? Was it possibly because he left it there? His hesitation and cutoff sentence during the interview with TD made me think, oops, he slipped up. He knows things he shouldn’t know. Also his statement, “We had cars there”..... who’s we?
If it wasn’t BM and it wasn’t LE who found the bike, where was it and what were the circumstances? Were some of the neighbors, like the one who made the 911 call, searching at that time?
I often wonder why BM’s nephew TN urged the public to ask LE in what condition was the bike found. What would he deduct from that information? If the bike had been hit by a vehicle, either by accident or as part of an abduction, there would be paint chips. By now we would have had a request for information on a ___ colored (year, make & model) seen in the area on that date.
BM’s statement to TD regarding LE’s ineptitude really seemed contrived to me. It was a bit manic and over-hyped. If LE was that careless, what a relief it must have been to BM that they didn’t find evidence if it was he who placed the bike there.
There was a lot of discussion during the Gannon Stauch case as to why LE didn’t immediately do this or that. The thing is, when LE gets a call for some type of incident, they arrive on the scene prepared to initially handle the incident as it was reported. In Gannon’s case, he was reported as a runaway. In Suzanne’s case it was reported that she didn’t return from a bike ride. I’m sure when LE arrived on the scene, they asked if SM had a regular bike route. They would have asked when she was seen and how the neighbor knew she was on a bike ride. They would know they had only a couple of hours of daylight left so they probably started looking along the route for any signs of her or her bike. We know that that evening the sheriff called in other agencies and tracking dogs. Was that before or after they found the bike? Once the bike was found, LE would spread out in a circumference around it and work outwards to see if she was laying injured nearby. They probably were calling her name and looking for signs. They may have not even touched the bike at that point. They may have visually examined it for clues as to how it ended up in that location. It may have been fingerprinted and photographed before it was moved. The point is, we don’t know anything about the bike and LE has chosen to keep all that they know to themselves. They have also chosen not to talk about the other “personal items” they found several days later?
For whatever reason, LE decided to bring in both the CBI and the FBI within the first couple of days of her disappearance. This is around the time they ruled out animal attack, accident, etc. This tells me that what they found, (or didn’t find), led them to certain conclusions. It may take minutes, several hours, or several days before it becomes apparent that something just doesn’t add up in a case.
Sorry for the long ramble. I think most of us here keep playing out this case in our heads trying to figure out the rhyme or reason for Suzanne’s disappearance.
ET correct spelling.

Great post.

I suspect, for those wondering what it was that has appeared to lead this investigation in one very spousal direction,
I think it's quite possible it was exactly BM's reaction to LE about the found bike.
Maybe he asked questions about that bike that he shouldn't have known to ask,
and maybe whoever he was asking noticed how unusual those questions were?
Such as "Were the brakes jammed? Because she mentioned the other day they were feeling sticky".
Or maybe it was "did you find her helmet, because she always wears this aqua blue colored one"
and then, that's exactly what they found just days later.
Something like that, that would stand out, and be far too coincidentally convenient.
Or, he got there before they found it and suggested it might be here, or there, and voila, it was actually in one of those places.
Either way, from what we do know so far, they're investigating from a BM sort of center.
His house, his job site, his phone, his car?
For a wife that went missing on a "bike ride" while he was 2+ hours away in "Denver"?
The only thing missing is the CCSO coming right out and naming their suspect.
(Not that I expect them to, until they're good and ready)

Well, and most importantly SM.

jmo

Yup. And to play to a jury. And lots of people know that.
“Sir, when did you last communicate with your wife?”

So it wouldn’t just be the words he used, or his tone and degree or concern. He also would have had to answer questions that maybe he wasn’t yet prepared to answer.

Besides all that, having someone else call 911 helps distance him from the situation. Boy, I’d just love to know the specifics here.

I think BM had the neighbor call since she was the only person in Salida. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't you be connected to the 911 call center closest to your current located? Since BM and daughters were out of town, the neighbor would have been the only person who would directly reach Salida 911 when calling.

Google. Phone number of local police. Connected to emergency line. Easy.

The girls running late could have been a major hurdle for BM. Was BM staying in Denver overnight for his job or was he sleeping at home? If he was heading home and knew he was going to have to make the 911 call, he may have felt unsure about his Denver alibi. He wanted someone else to sound the alarm and then “let him know” his wife was missing.

Now that BM has power of attorney over SM's interests, along with their once joint interests, we won't hear about any further liquidations of properties and/or assets. Even if someone digs into it, it can take months or more for RE records to post. Forget about money transfers.
Just an aside, I only recently became aware of a completely legal yet really sketchy practice of real estate dealings in NY, regarding contractors that own and renovate homes or buildings. They reno the property and transfer ownership to a spouse, family member/partner at an inflated price (without any $ actually exchanging hands).
In doing so, they inflate the market value to ask higher prices. When renovating multiple homes at a time, and they typically do, they'll wait a year (or less) or even two sometimes (because of tax purposes) to place the property back on the market. It's not rocket science but my mind just doesn't work that way. I know, in hindsight, I'm dumb as wood.
What I'm getting at is it only takes A DAY to do these back and forth 'sales'. One lawyer and everyone's happy.
Maybe Gitana can verify.
Why would they need a lawyer for a days transfer? Do they have to use a lawyer to transfer property? Just wondering. I'm not from CO.
ETA I did a home purchase out there years ago and an attorney was used for the escrow. But it sure wasn't done in a day.

Last edited:

So it wouldn’t just be the words he used, or his tone and degree or concern. He also would have had to answer questions that maybe he wasn’t yet prepared to answer.

Besides all that, having someone else call 911 helps distance him from the situation. Boy, I’d just love to know the specifics here.
My guess is the girls felt something was off about their communications with the parents and they got the neighbor involved. I doubt the dad asked the neighbor to call 911. He may have even discouraged it and that’s what led LE to respond the way they did. The girls may have been able to pinpoint when communications started to seem off, or they may have been able to see the location of mom’s phone. The dad may be rewriting the story to make it look like he asked the neighbor to call 911. I don’t know that we have evidence that happened.

So, at the risk of public shaming (and because it’s a slow news day), I have a mountain lion comment/question. A few nights ago, my husband was watching a big game hunting show, set in South America I think. Anyway, I looked up to see a dead smallish antelope-type lying in a very shallow stream. It was freshly shot I guess, but no visible wounds or injuries. Then a medium sized cougar crept up on the animal and checked it out from a distance. Realizing it was dead, the cat picked it up as gently as it would pick up it’s cub and carried it off. Kind of tip toed off all proud and cheery. No gore, no mauling, nothing left behind. I was relieved, because I was bracing for a bloodbath with all sorts of forensics for LE to analyze. The prey was at least 20% larger than the cat, but he handled it with no problem. So for the Colorado wildlife experts in the group, is it plausible that if a mountain lion came upon an incapacitated mammal, with say it’s neck broken, might it just whisk the body away to privacy?

Female pronghorns are at minimum about 75 pounds, per Wikipedia. I guess we call them antelope. I can’t see a cat carrying one away without there being drag marks. Can you? Also, they should find paw prints, IMO.

There were some light showers the next day, in the area. But it doesn’t seem enough to destroy all paw prints.

That's why I thought that he didn't want to call 911. He wasn't ready with his alibi as to the who, what, where, when, why.

He needed time to come up with what he was going to say. He has done nothing but distance himself from his (missing) wife.

She's been gone for at least five weeks. I don't think that LE are looking for a "missing" person. It's a matter of recovering her. I am wondering if she will be found because I'm afraid that the perpetrator had a headstart on hiding her.

That's why I thought that he didn't want to call 911. He wasn't ready with his alibi as to the who, what, where, when, why.

He needed time to come up with what he was going to say. He has done nothing but distance himself from his (missing) wife.

She's been gone for at least five weeks. I don't think that LE are looking for a "missing" person. It's a matter of recovering her. I am wondering if she will be found because I'm afraid that the perpetrator had a headstart on hiding her.
He had the knowledge, tools, and time. Personally, I’d be stunned if she was ever found.

I just have to say it cracks me up when I see all this tutting about the neighbor being a “senior citizen.” I’m close to 70 and am perfectly capable of walking several miles and I could easily check on a neighbor using my full faculties. I’m guessing that any “senior” living in any kind of remote area is in at least decent physical and mental shape. I feel like there’s this implication she wasn’t capable of helping or evaluating the situation.

So could my mom! She’s 83 and working on a master’s. Has friends of all ages and looks like she’s in her late 60’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader