Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who have prior LE experience, isn't it true that someone close to the victim who is basically asking to be given a polygraph and volunteering to give their DNA and anything else needed is typically not going to be a POI? Meaning: the very actions of volunteering for all of it, with no hesitation shows the person has nothing to hide?

I remember Marc Klaas did that when his daughter, Polly, went missing in 1993. He wanted LE to concentrate on finding the abductor and LE was looking at him, so he gave them whatever they needed, no holds-barred. I don't think he had an attorney.

IMO
For sure if an SO or immediate family member volunteers for the whole kit and caboodle you might not rule them out completely, but they may go a little further down the list, at least for the first few days. However, some of these suspects think they are so smart and can beat a polygraph and they know it can’t be used against them in court anyway so they will volunteer for it. Some will tell you they want to take the test but their attorney won’t let them. As for the DNA, if it is a spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend they will argue that of course their DNA is there because they live there, have sex, etc. Most experienced LE homicide investigators have pretty well-calibrated hinky meters and often have a feel for when something is not right.

BBM:

In a word: Puke.

I have more words.

I'm barely containing them right now.

J.M.O.
I respectfully disagree, this isn’t anything different from any other family statement under this circumstance. JMO It certainly isn’t as eloquent as Al Stauch’s, but still very thoughtful. I am not sure I will ever read one that comes anywhere near *advertiser censored* and think that his should stand alone, certainly not as a standard of comparison. JMVHO

1. The Raven
    “If....IF IF IF he’s not guilty....I think when this is all over it will be clear why BM has been so quiet”

If BM is innocent, it’s difficult to come up with a scenario to explain why He has been so quiet. The explanations I come up with seem pretty far-fetched.

Marriage was troubled and SM voluntarily disappeared?
    SM was kidnapped for ransom?
    SM was kidnapped for revenge?
    BM and SM were in this together, and planned her suicide / disappearance?

I’ve considered that LE has another strong suspect, someone in town and in their circle possibly, and BM is being quiet to help LE.

But that leaves the TD video inexplicable.

MOO

I respectfully disagree, this isn’t anything different from any other family statement under this circumstance. JMO It certainly isn’t as eloquent as Al Stauch’s, but still very thoughtful. I am not sure I will ever read one that comes anywhere near *advertiser censored* and think that his should stand alone, certainly not as a standard of comparison. JMVHO

One of the key differences here is that BM came out and offered a 100k reward for the safe return of SM.

AS didn't offer a 100k reward, likely because he knew in good conscience he couldn't actually fulfill that promise if someone did find GS.

If one has 100k at one's personal disposal to offer as a reward, one doesn't need to be seeking handouts from strangers for food and shelter.

It would have been much more conscionable for BM to use his 100k to pay for food, shelter, etc. for family members and set up a crowd-funding account to offer a reward for SM's safe return.

This is unseemly, at best.

JMO.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. I remember reading about the caretaker kid at the Tate residence. He was the only one not murdered by the Manson gang in 1969 at that residence, and he was initially a suspect because of that. He took & passed a polygraph right away.

If he would have failed the polygraph in the above, would he have been cleared anyway? Even the highest estimates of polygraph reliability (~70%, IIRC) leave 30% margin of error. Three in ten times they are wrong, best estimate. They simply are too unreliable to be even very helpful to investigators, much less clearing a person's name. Which is why you should never ever take a polygraph. They simply don't produce the results investigators use them for.

BBM:

In a word: Puke.

I have more words.

I'm barely containing them right now…this is so wrong on so many levels.

J.M.O.
It is so bizarre. So bizarre. The words "extended family" jumped straight out at me. Since TN is supposedly skilled in publicity, what could he possibly mean by using "extended"? Why not "the whole family" or "Suzanne's family and friends"? Usually when we use the words "extended family" we are referring to family members who are not in the immediate core of the family -- the great aunts, the cousins, nieces and nephews, etc. What could possibly be the purpose of using that phrase in this crafted update? It sounds like TN is leaving out BM and the daughters! What the heck? Is this just an inadvertent mistake? Am I reading too much into this?

Last edited:
It is so bizarre. So bizarre. The words "extended family" jumped straight out at me. Since TN is supposedly skilled in publicity, what could he possibly mean by using "extended"? Why not "the whole family" or "Suzanne's family and friends"? Usually when we use the words "extended family" we are referring to family members who are not in the immediate core of the family -- the great aunts, the cousins, nieces and nephews, etc. What could possibly be the purpose of using that phrase in this crafted update? It sounds like TN is leaving out BM and the daughters! What the heck? Is this just an inadvertent mistake? Or am I reading too much into this?
My take: he may be a marketing and/or PR person but that doesn't mean his writing is superlative and precise.

IMO

If a loved one is missing under suspicious circumstances, and your instinct is to protect yourself over finding that missing loved one, then you’re doing it wrong.

I cannot fathom anyone being that selfish.

Throwing away one's constitutional rights doesn't necessarily result in "being un-selfish."

You can help yourself while still protecting oneself. They are mutually exclusive. What if one did, say, offer DNA to the police without it being publicized? What if one's silence wasn't ones own desire, but at the request of law enforcement?

I feel outsiders simply don't have sufficient information to make educated guesses right now.

One of the key differences here is that BM came out and offered a 100k reward for the safe return of SM.

AS didn't offer a 100k reward, likely because he knew in good conscience he couldn't actually fulfill that promise if someone did find GS.

If one has 100k at your personal disposal to offer as a reward, one doesn't need to be seeking handouts from strangers for food and shelter.

It's beyond unseemly.

JMO.
and what was the wording of that 100K reward - "safe return" not information leading to, not information about when she was last seen or who she was seen with - just her safe return? was that it? - I think so - and so if she's deceased, she can't be safely returned and the reward will never be paid. IMO

Trevor said he would create a meticulous accounting of all monies spent from the fund. Sure would like to read that. I sent a request through the fund site about a week ago. Crickets. Not surprised.
and now he's handed it over apparently so I'm doubting he gave an accounting - sigh. <modsnip>
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s the text of the update:

TODAY
by Trevor Noel, Organizer

The extended Morphew Family would like to offer our most sincere and heartfelt gratitude to everyone who has contributed to our efforts in finding Suzanne. Whether donating financially, hiking the mountains, hanging posters, canvassing, preparing and delivering food for volunteers and so much more-- please know that your thoughtfulness and compassion are so appreciated and that it has sustained the family throughout the difficulty of the search. The care and love that friends and family near and far have shown towards Suzanne's family during this incredibly tough time has been overwhelming and is deeply appreciated.
Suzanne is still missing and the search goes on. Please continue to pray with us as we hold out hope for her safe return.
Mallory Morphew has been designated as the beneficiary of this campaign and will be tracking and distributing the funds directly towards:
-Expenses related to search efforts (fuel, equipment, gear, food, etc.)
-Supporting the well-being of Suzanne's family
-Food for family and volunteers
-Housing accommodations for family/search volunteers
-Compensating family and volunteers for their time spent away from work and with the Morphew family
Again, your support is truly appreciated. Thank you!

JMO

Im sure some private searches took place but we sure havent been told about them. And we sure dont know if they are continuing. And they sure havent advertised when the next set of searches are going to take place next so the public could help out. At least not that I am aware.

It would have been nice if he would have shared more details about all these searches that are supposedly happening.

“Extended Morphew Family?” That just seems odd. Maybe if it said “Barry, Suzanne’s daughters, and extended family??” I don’t know. Maybe I am just reading too much between the lines. Or trying to. JMO
This is very much speculation, but since much here has been. Is it possible that the extended family ARE their close friends, some of whom may NOT have the financial means to help, and wouldn't dream of asking the family to finance their help. It actually reminds me of one of my church’s missions, “families in Crisis”. The members chosen to administer the funds are very much under orders of confidentiality, ensuring the family’s dignity. All go....aren’t nefarious... I won’t be surprised to learn that the Ms have actually funded a large portion. My apologies to everyone. This is only my second rodeo here, and I still have the naivety of my own church and community like that of the Ms. How many forums, before I learn?
For those of you who were on my first, Gannon’s? I held out longer there, my brain and gut convinced my heart. My heart is where hope resides. JMVHO

Throwing away one's constitutional rights doesn't necessarily result in "being selfish."

You can help yourself while still protecting oneself. They are mutually exclusive. What if one did, say, offer DNA to the police without it being publicized? What if one's silence wasn't ones own desire, but at the request of law enforcement?

I feel outsiders simply don't have sufficient information to make educated guesses right now.
This was a general discussion in regards to being completely transparent. It was not based on the level of cooperation here (as we don’t know what that was).

I think it’s more than clear that BM is the prime suspect in what is in reality, a homicide investigation. His silence makes perfect sense, as he can only hurt himself by speaking out.

He’s saying “prove it.”

If he would have failed the polygraph in the above, would he have been cleared anyway? Even the highest estimates of polygraph reliability (~70%, IIRC) leave 30% margin of error. Three in ten times they are wrong, best estimate. They simply are too unreliable to be even very helpful to investigators, much less clearing a person's name. Which is why you should never ever take a polygraph. They simply don't produce the results investigators use them for.
A suspect won't be arrested on failed polygraph alone as the exam is not admissible in court. So yes, if you fail a polygraph you can either remain a POI/Suspect while more evidence against you is obtained, or you may end up cleared if credible evidence comes up that points to the real perp and exonerates you. MOO

and what was the wording of that 100K reward - "safe return" not information leading to, not information about when she was last seen or who she was seen with - just her safe return? was that it? - I think so - and so if she's deceased, she can't be safely returned and the reward will never be paid. IMO
IMO, works if you know it is a kidnapping, at least for me.

This was a general discussion in regards to being completely transparent. It was not based on the level of cooperation here (as we don’t know what that was).

I think it’s more than clear that BM is the prime suspect in what is in reality, a homicide investigation. His silence makes perfect sense, as he can only hurt himself by speaking out.

His actions speak volumes IMO, he’s saying “prove it.”

I understand it was a general discussion regarding transparency. I also understand (and agree) that Mr. Morphew is being treated as suspect, or at least was at one time. I'm not talking about Mr. Morphew either; I was just making some generalized comments to follow up.

In this specific instance, I don't necessarily agree that his silence says "prove it;" his silence could simply be his compliance with LE requests. I simply think we don't have the necessary information to make the determination some have, although I certainly understand why others want to/have done so. Namely, whether law enforcement told him to shut his hole or not.

Bingo. Who was it that said they could offer up a reward of 100 ponies? [that cracked me up!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState