Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious?
Notice his words?
"...the night she disappeared."
What does he know that we don't?
He chose the word night not day....

The first thing that would pop in my mind is "day"...that is curious.

On another note, something that didn't stick with me initially... A source told the Daily Mail earlier this week that Suzanne’s daughters had become concerned that they could not reach their mother that weekend, and asked a neighbor to check on her.

That strikes me as trying more than just Sunday while driving home. Possible they were trying from Friday evening on ..who knows?

Something happened to make LE unsure from the 8th !
We are still waiting for LE to say on what precise day she vanished.
The fact that they haven't divulged this makes me wonder if they know ?

Maybe LE does know and are keeping it quiet... but my opinion is that they have only a rough idea --based on the daughter's phone records alone ?
I'm assuming for now that both daughters would have told LE when they last spoke to Suzanne.

The first thing that would pop in my mind is "day"...that is curious.

On another note, something that didn't stick with me initially... A source told the Daily Mail earlier this week that Suzanne’s daughters had become concerned that they could not reach their mother that weekend, and asked a neighbor to check on her.

That strikes me as trying more than just Sunday while driving home. Possible they were trying from Friday evening on ..who knows?
This gave me a little pause as well-

I frequently can't reach my SO right away, sometimes for hours and hours. She never charges her phone, same with kids. I wouldn't call the neighbor unless there was something in addition that made my spidey-sense twitchy, especially if I was on my way there anyway. Something like locating their phone and seeing it had been in some remote place all day. Why exactly did they call the neighbor and why did the neighbor call the police? Again- even if the bike were missing, even if it was late, even if the kids were worried- they were all on their way there anyway. Put yourself in the neighbor's shoes- she could have been at the store, she could have been with a friend, she could have been doing a whole lot of private things I wouldn't know about, but LE got involved that evening. The reporting of her missing is a part of the story that is a little murky.

I don’t think so. The initial call reporting her missing came in at approximately 5:46. I’m not sure of response time, but I imagine it was not too long. Once LE arrived on scene, they would talk to the reporting party to get the facts. (Remember the first statement by the Sheriff’s Dept stated that SM “reportedly” went on a bike ride.). They probably tried to see if the bike was in the garage or on the property. I imagine they asked the neighbor if she had actually seen her go off on the bike. They probably also asked if she knew her usual bike routes. I’m sure that shortly thereafter, the first responding officer called for additional officers to help search the area. If all that took an hour, that left a little over 2 hours of searching before BM arrived home from Denver. (According to him).
IMO, if you are searching for a missing biker you will walk the route that biker took, searching the roadside. Initially, you would not go into wooded areas where there is no trail. From what BM indicated to TD, the bike was found down an incline fairly close to the house. I believe the bike was found fairly early Sunday evening before BM even arrived home.
As far as the possibility that LE mishandled evidence, that could very well be true, but not necessarily due to recklessness or negligence. LE responds to far more calls for accidents or injuries than mysterious missing persons. The number one priority is preserving life. What happens in the initial stages of an investigation depends on what you are told when you arrive at a call. That first statement will direct your follow up unless and until you find otherwise.
LE initially looked for a missing biker because that’s what they were told. They likely considered accident or illness first so if someone spotted the bike down the embankment, he or she probably called out or radioed in. At this point I’m pretty sure one or more officers made their way down the hill to see if SM was laying injured nearby. They had no reason to believe at this time that a crime had taken place. They probably spread out from the bike’s location to see if they could find her. I’m sure at some point the bike was brought up to the roadside in LE custody. We don’t know that the bike wasn’t photographed or fingerprinted before it was moved. We don’t know that LE wasn’t wearing gloves when they recovered the bike. We do know that some early investigative work took place, (probably when SM was not found near her bike), because LE ruled out accident and mountain lion very quickly.
For what it is worth, even if LE handled the bike less carefully than they should have early on, I find it ludicrous to believe that 10 officers handled it.
I also do not think that BM’s merry band of searchers recovered the bike because I think they would have given him full details. Maybe it was his FF friends who told him that the evidence was mishandled because their collective noses were out of joint when they weren’t allowed to participate in the search.
IMHO

^^^^^
BBM
Old cop, you talk sense. That could have put some noses out of joint. Thx. Moo

Something happened to make LE unsure from the 8th !
We are still waiting for LE to say on what precise day she vanished.
The fact that they haven't divulged this makes me wonder if they know ?

Maybe LE does know and are keeping it quiet... but my opinion is that they have only a rough idea --based on the daughter's phone records alone ?
I'm assuming for now that both daughters would have told LE when they last spoke to Suzanne.
And, that’s the thing! They know things we don’t :). If for whatever reason they know she’s been “gone” since before MD, they CAN’T release that because everyone would know BM’s narrative is a lie and he IS the prime suspect. JMO

I’m glad you asked!

I would be searching both on internet , and on the ground. I would be systematically widening the search circle. I would be coordinating so that search teams (as few as one, but better w/ two at least driver, searcher,) overlap only slightly. I’d put up flyers as I went.
I wouldn’t care that these type searches aren’t publicized, less said, the better.

Just thought of this one... i’d have two circles for searching, WIDE w/ diameter of all BadGuy= BG previous addresses, and work inward, close and familiar. But avoiding him just staying ahead of the widening search circle.
Drones, helpful.
We would have no proof of any of this, other that LE’s 10 searches...
Perhaps, some of *** used to fund some of the volunteers, keeping reward money intact. I’d donate to that.
I am in SC, so I am limited to internet searches, google earth street views. I wouldn’t be sitting around giving updates, that’s a definite waste of resources.
I’m sure I missed a few, but all this would keep my mind focused on action, not sitting around mourning.
I guarantee that you would do all of these things if a loved one was missing. What is difficult to make sense of is the silence. If I wanted to physically help search for Suzanne how would I go about doing that? Where is a "central command" if you will. Who is in charge of these searches? BM? TN? MM? How can I get in touch with them to help..no phone numbers? No response on social media no "Lets all meet on Saturday morning in Maysville" the only request we have received from the family is for money.

On May 10, 2020 the state of Idaho was under "Stay Healthy Stage 1" order dated May 1, 2020. There were no restrictions on camping or kayaking. In fact, those and all other outdoor activities were encouraged, with applicable social distancing guidelines. All persons entering the state of Idaho were advised to self-quarantine for fourteen days, but were not required to do so unless they fell within high risk groups defined by the CDC. Visitors who planned to stay less than 14 days were advised to self quarantine just for the duration of their stay.
Self-quarantine (out of one's dwelling) is defined in the Idaho governor's Order To Self-Isolate I, II and III which basically says to maintain 6 ft social distancing, wash hands, use hand sanitizer, cover coughs and sneezes and do not shake hands. IMO

https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/stay-healthy-order-stage1.pdf

https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/wp-co.../amended-statewide-stay-home-order_041520.pdf

Note: Idaho State Park Campgrounds were not open at this time. I'm sure there are plenty of other places one could camp, this restriction just eliminates some locations for early May 2020.

State Parks to Reopen for Camping on May 30th | Idaho Parks & Recreation

This gave me a little pause as well-

I frequently can't reach my SO right away, sometimes for hours and hours. She never charges her phone, same with kids. I wouldn't call the neighbor unless there was something in addition that made my spidey-sense twitchy, especially if I was on my way there anyway. Something like locating their phone and seeing it had been in some remote place all day. Why exactly did they call the neighbor and why did the neighbor call the police? Again- even if the bike were missing, even if it was late, even if the kids were worried- they were all on their way there anyway. Put yourself in the neighbor's shoes- she could have been at the store, she could have been with a friend, she could have been doing a whole lot of private things I wouldn't know about, but LE got involved that evening. The reporting of her missing is a part of the story that is a little murky.
This makes wonder if the daughters had made repeated calls to Suzanne Friday, Saturday and Sunday. What if the daughters wanted to tell their mother well beforehand that they weren’t going to be able to make it back home until the evening of Mother’s Day?

Last edited:
I guarantee that you would do all of these things if a loved one was missing. What is difficult to make sense of is the silence. If I wanted to physically help search for Suzanne how would I go about doing that? Where is a "central command" if you will. Who is in charge of these searches? BM? TN? MM? How can I get in touch with them to help..no phone numbers? No response on social media no "Lets all meet on Saturday morning in Maysville" the only request we have received from the family is for money.
TN started out exactly like that. A family member on fire to get searching, SM and media pressure going. Then his efforts seem to collapse with the search under the cement slab. He could have said this:
" they always suspect family first, it's normal, we are getting through that phase and we are continuing to look for Suzanne."

TN started out exactly like that. A family member on fire to get searching, SM and media pressure going. Then his efforts seem to collapse with the search under the cement slab. He could have said this:
" they always suspect family first, it's normal, we are getting through that phase and we are continuing to look for Suzanne."
I’m sorry for TN. I believe his intentions were honourable. His uncle, not so much.

It’s interesting how in the last week others are being thrown under the bus on social media. I wonder whose feeding the “stories.” Someone trying to get the heat off himself? Please don’t ask, as I can’t respond :)

I’m sorry for TN. I believe his intentions were honourable. His uncle, not so much.

It’s interesting how in the last week others are being thrown under the bus on social media. I wonder whose feeding the “stories.” Someone trying to get the heat off himself? Please don’t ask, as I can’t respond :)
I do too. I think he would have done anything to help..and something made it all come to a halt.

Agree about TN and his intentions SusiQ. I think he quickly found himself between a rock and a hard place. He created the FB missing page May 13th, the GF****page May 13th, the verbal interview with the news station posted above was May 14th, meanwhile he made some positive posts to the FB page, last one dated May 16th. I believe based on what we know of him and his skills he choreographed Barry's interview the 16th or so, and it was posted the 17th. For all purposes that was the end of the FB page, all interest was lost. I feel sorry for the guy, I think he had the best intentions.

It's definitely the case that the firemen were told they could not search by Spezze.

Yes. This has been posted numerous times since the beginning of the case. One place to look is the media thread since all articles published in MSM are there and updated regularly. Also, a search should uncover the instances of prior posts that contain this info about the firemen buds of BM not being allowed to join the official searches by LE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azouheir