Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious?
Notice his words?
"...the night she disappeared."
What does he know that we don't?
He chose the word night not day....

Allegedly and according to the story BM told, SM was on a bike ride around 4:30pm-ish and it was approaching 6pm that she was reported missing. He allegedly didn't get back from Denver until around 9pm-ish or so. I suppose one could count that as "night." Then again... maybe not. However, if he had said "day," I think people would find that suspicious too.

I guarantee that you would do all of these things if a loved one was missing. What is difficult to make sense of is the silence. If I wanted to physically help search for Suzanne how would I go about doing that? Where is a "central command" if you will. Who is in charge of these searches? BM? TN? MM? How can I get in touch with them to help..no phone numbers? No response on social media no "Lets all meet on Saturday morning in Maysville" the only request we have received from the family is for money.
If volunteers wanted to physically help search for SM, I'm not sure where they'd be directed to look. BM allegedly doesn't know where she is. LE isn't going to release any info and they're not going to lead volunteers. Volunteers would have to start combing every inch of Salida, Denver, and every other town or mountain in between and maybe even further than that.

Allegedly and according to the story BM told, SM was on a bike ride around 4:30pm-ish and it was approaching 6pm that she was reported missing. He allegedly didn't get back from Denver until around 9pm-ish or so. I suppose one could count that as "night." Then again... maybe not. However, if he had said "day," I think people would find that suspicious too.
For me, I've been saying "day" since it happened.

Yes. This has been posted numerous times since the beginning of the case. One place to look is the media thread since all articles published in MSM are there and updated regularly. Also, a search should uncover the instances of prior posts that contain this info about the firemen buds of BM not being allowed to join the official searches by LE.
Flyers and walking all the Streets. Vanessa Guillen family just started in the middle of the last known ping and went from there.
Even though the ping turned out to be erroneous they just kept at it, talking to everyone on the streets. MOO TN looked that fired up.

On May 10, 2020 the state of Idaho was under "Stay Healthy Stage 1" order dated May 1, 2020. There were no restrictions on camping or kayaking. In fact, those and all other outdoor activities were encouraged, with applicable social distancing guidelines. All persons entering the state of Idaho were advised to self-quarantine for fourteen days, but were not required to do so unless they fell within high risk groups defined by the CDC. Visitors who planned to stay less than 14 days were advised to self quarantine just for the duration of their stay.
Self-quarantine (out of one's dwelling) is defined in the Idaho governor's Order To Self-Isolate I, II and III which basically says to maintain 6 ft social distancing, wash hands, use hand sanitizer, cover coughs and sneezes and do not shake hands. IMO

https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/stay-healthy-order-stage1.pdf

https://coronavirus.idaho.gov/wp-co.../amended-statewide-stay-home-order_041520.pdf
That's interesting, so it sounds like non-residents of Idaho weren't permitted to go camping, etc .... and surely the self-isolation time would be the duration of their stay, so why bother going there to camp .... that's puzzling. MOO

She started her bike ride around 4:30 and it was approaching 6:00 when they reported her missing? Either Suzanne goes on very short bike rides (avid cyclist?) or something is not right. If I left for a ride at 4:30 and wasn't back by 6, my friends and family would be calling and reporting me missing 5 or 6 days of the week. If BM wasn't there (he said he got home around 9 PM) and no one saw her go out for a ride where does 4:30 come from? Is that from Tyson Draper video where BM says 4:30 or thereabouts?

I don’t recall BM stating the bike ride was that late in the day. I recall someone saying she was known to go for a bike ride before church Sunday mornings. If late in the day, why the concern so soon? LE were called at 5:46 p.m.

If volunteers wanted to physically help search for SM, I'm not sure where they'd be directed to look. BM allegedly doesn't know where she is. LE isn't going to release any info and they're not going to lead volunteers. Volunteers would have to start combing every inch of Salida, Denver, and every other town or mountain in between and maybe even further than that.
Are they even doing searches anymore??
Ive been away from this thread for a few weeks and trying to catch up, but I don't remember reading anywhere about more searches
It is like she isn't even missing and nobody is looking for her now.

Nicely done - so it's interesting to see how the reporters vary in their words regarding the FF - from "ordered not to take part" , "warned off by police", "none of the fireguys are allowed up there" and finally the Sheriff utilizing just LE for searches. Quite a stretch IMO. Appreciate the compilation.

Language is so nuanced. I stumbled across this article about the case which appears to be a poor translation back into English from an Armenian translation of an English news article. Imagine if someone used this for source material.

https://www.reporter.am/suzanne-mor...he-building-site-colorado-cops-are-searching/

Thanks for sharing this gliving, hadn't seen that before .... just had a look there and ..... she really does seem like the most delightful lovely person, so kind and warm, cheerful, friendly, funny ....
Also from the twitter SM appeared to have loved SM very much, was proud of and had good relations with daughters, and also there were trips to CO of BM & SM and BM & a daughter prior to the move to CO.

Wow.
Thanks for the link, @Seattle1 !

I will believe the bike was found when I hear it from LE and not before !
And BM does not know if 10 or more people touched the bike ... unless he was there along with LE; and at this time it looks like BM is 'investigating' Suzanne's case independently.
MOO
I agree-- LE has not confirmed if they found the bike or not so I tend to not believe it either, unless I hear differently from LE, JMO

I don’t think so. The initial call reporting her missing came in at approximately 5:46. I’m not sure of response time, but I imagine it was not too long. Once LE arrived on scene, they would talk to the reporting party to get the facts. (Remember the first statement by the Sheriff’s Dept stated that SM “reportedly” went on a bike ride.). They probably tried to see if the bike was in the garage or on the property. I imagine they asked the neighbor if she had actually seen her go off on the bike. They probably also asked if she knew her usual bike routes. I’m sure that shortly thereafter, the first responding officer called for additional officers to help search the area. If all that took an hour, that left a little over 2 hours of searching before BM arrived home from Denver. (According to him).
IMO, if you are searching for a missing biker you will walk the route that biker took, searching the roadside. Initially, you would not go into wooded areas where there is no trail. From what BM indicated to TD, the bike was found down an incline fairly close to the house. I believe the bike was found fairly early Sunday evening before BM even arrived home.
As far as the possibility that LE mishandled evidence, that could very well be true, but not necessarily due to recklessness or negligence. LE responds to far more calls for accidents or injuries than mysterious missing persons. The number one priority is preserving life. What happens in the initial stages of an investigation depends on what you are told when you arrive at a call. That first statement will direct your follow up unless and until you find otherwise.
LE initially looked for a missing biker because that’s what they were told. They likely considered accident or illness first so if someone spotted the bike down the embankment, he or she probably called out or radioed in. At this point I’m pretty sure one or more officers made their way down the hill to see if SM was laying injured nearby. They had no reason to believe at this time that a crime had taken place. They probably spread out from the bike’s location to see if they could find her. I’m sure at some point the bike was brought up to the roadside in LE custody. We don’t know that the bike wasn’t photographed or fingerprinted before it was moved. We don’t know that LE wasn’t wearing gloves when they recovered the bike. We do know that some early investigative work took place, (probably when SM was not found near her bike), because LE ruled out accident and mountain lion very quickly.
For what it is worth, even if LE handled the bike less carefully than they should have early on, I find it ludicrous to believe that 10 officers handled it.
I also do not think that BM’s merry band of searchers recovered the bike because I think they would have given him full details. Maybe it was his FF friends who told him that the evidence was mishandled because their collective noses were out of joint when they weren’t allowed to participate in the search.
IMHO
I believe you are confusing TD's videos. In the first, he demonstrated his theory that SM crashed into a sign and then went into the S. Arkansas River. In his second video, he claimed to have located the exact spot where the bike was found, below Hwy 50 and east of the intersection with CR 225. In his third video he met BM, who showed him the correct spot where the bicycle was found. In his fourth video, he was back in Salida in front of WalMart, and had just seen BM and his mother going into the store.
So, in the third video TD started filming himself at the CR 225 bridge over Fooses Creek. I use the elevation tool on Google Earth Pro, so I can state that at that point, he was at 8835 ft above sea level. TD restated his theory that SM hit a bridge on her bike, and points to a sign that is bent over at that bridge, saying he thinks she smacked into that one. TD walks on down the road, saying he hopes to meet BM, and suddenly BM appears. They are standing then at 8855 ft. BM tells him to put the camera away and says: "I'll show you", and starts walking. They round the corner of the "Y" to the right and BM stops. He says this is the spot where he thinks SM was abducted. They were at 8856 ft elevation. BM moves about five feet further to the right (which at that point of the video was BM's left, he points into the trees and says the bike was found "back there, in front of that tree" which on Google Earth is fifteen feet north of where they were standing. The base of that tree is 8861 ft elevation. On the Google Earth map below, CR 225 appears to disappear under and behind a hill. There is actually higher ground, not lower, north of CR 225 and south of Fooses Creek. The house marked "8940 CR 225" is at 8924 ft elevation. IMO

Map produced entirely in Google Earth with no editing.

Attachments

• Where the bike was found.jpg
    Where the bike was found.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Are they even doing searches anymore??
Ive been away from this thread for a few weeks and trying to catch up, but I don't remember reading anywhere about more searches
It is like she isn't even missing and nobody is looking for her now.
We haven’t had any word from the Sheriff since June 10 - reporters have tweeted (check her media thread for details) but nothing new and certainly no details IMO - I agree it’s like she was never there at all- except for the court proceeding declaring her incapacitated in Indiana where she wasn’t even a resident of - we’ve got nothing
JMO

TN started out exactly like that. A family member on fire to get searching, SM and media pressure going. Then his efforts seem to collapse with the search under the cement slab. He could have said this:
" they always suspect family first, it's normal, we are getting through that phase and we are continuing to look for Suzanne."
Yes,, he could have said a lot of things.
I know, from following so many cases here, that everyone acts differently when a loved one goes missing, however, he gives me negative vibes and I do not see him or family doing anything else to help find her, heck, I don't even see LE out searching anymore.
Just what the heck ????

I agree-- LE has not confirmed if they found the bike or not so I tend to not believe it either, unless I hear differently from LE, JMO
I agree. The whole bike thing is driving me crazy.

Perhaps LE didn’t find the bike. Someone else “happened” upon the bike, so therefore, LE will not address the bike because they actually didn’t find it?

IDK... just thinking out loud about that d***n bike!! MOO

I know, from following so many cases here, that everyone acts differently when a loved one goes missing, however, he gives me negative vibes and I do not see him or family doing anything else to help find her, heck, I don't even see LE out searching anymore.
Just what the heck ????
Right. Why nothing? Seems disrespectful not to put out a weekly "we are working on it."

Just what the heck ????
It’s so quiet from the family and LE. I’m hoping it’s because they are all diligently searching for SM.

Recently, I went back to the beginning on many of our current threads just to refresh myself on how these cases were from the start. It’s so sad to see all of these family’s of the missing BEGGING and PLEADING for help. Trying to gain any attention possible, publicly organizing their own searches, reaching out to media, etc...

Then we have this case, and other than the first few days... nothing. It just continues to baffle me.

JMO

Looks to me like law enforcement and family and friends are so silent because someone is very isolated.

Why isolated? The same someone failed horribly for themselves because they over estimated their own power to manipulate and have almost zero support from those closer to the events than the public.

Just a matter of time but may be a long or indefinite wait. alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe