Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Safer at Home FAQ | Colorado COVID-19 Updates

“Colorado is moving from the Stay-at-Home level into the Safer at Home level. While at this level, Coloradans are strongly advised to continue staying at home to the greatest extent possible, only interacting with your household contacts and only leaving for essential activities. At-risk individuals, such as people 65 and older, should continue to stay at home unless absolutely necessary. “
———
Just went into effect, so things opening back up would not be instantaneous.
I would not consider this period of time to be “normal”.
But that’s just my opinion.

I don't want to get ahead of myself because I am not even close to being caught up here but I find their finances interesting. Just a few thoughts.

They own a lot of valuable property. It appears they hold clear titles, no outstanding mortgages. She is a teacher, he owns a landscaping company. It is possible either one has inherited money/property.

Outside of that, I wonder where and how they acquired that amount of money.

Sometimes crimes come down to - Follow the Money. I'd not be surprised if it might be a factor here.

IMO, JMO
Someone mentioned back a ways that the house in Indiana was sold. He must have some landscaping company to afford these homes. I'm wondering if his company has contracts with home builders and commercial buildings. He might design and put in their landscaping. That would produce big bucks. I wonder why he would want to do this fire-fighting. Isn't that dangerous work? You can't say it's a hobby.

Herat, I had to chuckle at my post. Yea, $27 a month isn't much. [face palm] I didn't go back to change that part of my post after I found how many lots were in the subdivision. $2,900 a year from the nine lots doesn't pay for much road work. The homeowners probably have to maintain and plow their own driveways, but I haven't read the subdivision bylaws or HOA to know how Puma Path gets maintained.
Snipped

Does everyone in the HOA pay $27/month? I'm wondering if BM pays less in exchange of his company providing some of the work. Often landscaping companies do snowplowing for clients in the winter, though I don't know if his company does that. Perhaps he negotiated a lower monthly fee in exchange of providing some services.

Just a guess.

jmo

As my late father used to say "wouldn't it be nice if all crimes were solved in a half of an hours time like Charlie's Angels."

She's been gone six days, they've called in several agencies to help and have worked hard and searched openly and no doubt quietly, areas we are not aware of.

Some cases take months before they find a damn thing- already they have found her bike and at least one more personal item, 2000 feet from her home.

I am trying to understand why your comment seems hostile toward LE, as if they aren't trying to help find Suzanne?

Good grief, how many times have we had family members and friends on here in previous cases, begging for help from LE and searchers, and they're shrugged off for various reasons? Remember how hard Cheryl Berreth and her son worked to get the attention of LE that something bad happened to Kelsey? They missed blood in her bathroom and other areas of her home, bleach residue on surfaces that you normally wouldn't bleach- they had to point it out to LE, after LE searched Kelsey's condo! By then, poor Kelsey's body was ashes placed God knows where and precious time was wasted. At least this LE is on the ball more.
Okay, I hear you.

At least this LE is on the ball more.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree. In fact, this is so different from what we usually see. I loved him. But very low key and the sense that they know way more than we do. I find it so odd that the daughters have said nothing, let alone the husband. I'm still not sure about him!

I had to laugh at all of us who can't let go of WS! I have been on here since before 2003! They lost my records when the computers crashed, a lot, back then. There were so many really big cases back then and so many people were on. I teach, so I can usually only get on in the summer. I just have to! This particular case really bothered me, as I'm sure it does all of you.

This is a great group!

Someone mentioned back a ways that the house in Indiana was sold. He must have some landscaping company to afford these homes. I'm wondering if his company has contracts with home builders and commercial buildings. He might design and put in their landscaping. That would produce big bucks. I wonder why he would want to do this fire-fighting. Isn't that dangerous work? You can't say it's a hobby.
I've already posted this, but sometimes people join fire-fighting as a way to be involved and contribute to a community.

As a newcomer to CO, it was a smart move by BM to volunteer with something like firefighting, imo. It's a good way to network fast and be seen as a leader, etc. Work like that can be good for business.

I have no idea if that describes BM's involvement with fire fighting, just speaking to what might be.

jmo

Snipped

Does everyone in the HOA pay $27/month? I'm wondering if BM pays less in exchange of his company providing some of the work. Often landscaping companies do snowplowing for clients in the winter, though I don't know if his company does that. Perhaps he negotiated a lower monthly fee in exchange of providing some services.

Just a guess.

jmo

The $27 a month HOA was on the Zillow listing which would have been made when the house was for sale, before they bought it.

There are only 4 houses in the HOA and some empty lots. Their home and another were both built in 2008 and would appear to be the original homes on the small development. The next house was built in 2012 and I can't determine anything about the 4th. It may also be older as it is quite a bit smaller than the rest.

So, no, he wouldn't have had any way to be negotiating that fee for his services.

I've already posted this, but sometimes people join fire-fighting as a way to be involved and contribute to a community.

As a newcomer to CO, it was a smart move by BM to volunteer with something like firefighting, imo. It's a good way to network fast and be seen as a leader, etc. Work like that can be good for business.

I have no idea if that describes BM's involvement with fire fighting, just speaking to what might be.

jmo
I agree! I have a neighbor who is like that. He gets himself out there.

IMO, being a firefighter, much less a volunteer firefighter is more of a vocation. They are the bravest people I know, it is a very dangerous job. I don't think any of them do this for financial gain. It does though involve a personality that can handle adrenaline rushes. I know I couldn't do it.

It will be interesting to learn more about his landscaping business.

The $27 a month HOA was on the Zillow listing which would have been made when the house was for sale, before they bought it.

There are only 4 houses in the HOA and some empty lots. Their home and another were both built in 2008 and would appear to be the original homes on the small development. The next house was built in 2012 and I can't determine anything about the 4th. It may also be older as it is quite a bit smaller than the rest.

So, no, he wouldn't have had any way to be negotiating that fee for his services.
Thanks for the correct info!

jmo

Just looking at that area by Zillow is interesting. Their home was built in 2008 as was a similarly large place just east of the Foose's Lake. I assume the area was subdivided and the HOA established at that time. Likely the owner of the property built either one of these two places. The next place built was 4 years later and is a 4 br 2 bath house that looks quite a bit smaller on the map. But it sold for ~$1,1 million. There's another much smaller place not listed on Zillow. Several lots much closer to the highway sold last year. There are also multi-acre sites selling on either side of the South Arkansas River just to the east of their house, so someone has money to put down up to $800,000 for property there. Yipes.

I do wonder how they ended up there from Indiana. Any local connections at all?

I do believe this has been in MSM and it's on SM's FB as well. Her daughter decided to go to Chaffee Mountain College, I think it's slightly less than an hour away. About a year later, apparently, Suzanne and family began looking for someplace closer to daughter and moved to be near her.

Clearly, though, they were looking for a certain lifestyle, in a tiny Colorado town, but close to a small town. Salida, with a population of 5000, is about 20 minutes away. No neighbors within earshot, really.

Lots of mountain biking, hiking, snow activities, river rafting, National Forest on all sides. But, like many such places, it has its own local culture, crime scene and locals whose economic situation is definitely not what the Morphew family has.

The nearest real city is Colorado Springs, IMO. Ouray, Telluride and Silverton aren't far (although that road! good thing you don't notice how it's suspended until you're over it the first time).

dsc_0993.jpg

Gorgeous but note the lack of barriers - and there are sections that have pilings aiding in the structure of the road. Exciting, beautiful, wild - and about 3 hours away from Maysville.

Ouray, Telluride and Silverton are more expensive than the Salida area, for a house of that type (especially the first two). They are more artsy, with upscale boutiques, and quite a bit of tourism. Salida/Maysville is a different vibe, to me.

God knows, there must have been enough people on that trail that if LE was convinced she did ride her bike there, that LE would be PLEADING for people to come forward, with at least a description of what Suzanne looked like (even if LE didn't know what she wore that day).

Doesn't anyone else find it strange that LE has NOT asked for anyone on the bike trail to come forward, who was riding that day? Come on!
Snipped
BBM
I agree. I haven’t ridden a bike in over 20 years but my sister and niece are avid riders. They lived in the Denver area for over 15 yrs and rode everywhere. I called them about this case. First thing they asked was what kind of bike and that they would definitely remember a nice bike. Maybe not the person on the bike but the bike itself, yes.

Snipped
BBM
I agree. I haven’t ridden a bike in over 20 years but my sister and niece are avid riders. They lived in the Denver area for over 15 yrs and rode everywhere. I called them about this case. First thing they asked was what kind of bike and that they would definitely remember a nice bike. Maybe not the person on the bike but the bike itself, yes.
Trek brand mountain bikes are nice !

I have my reasons as to why LE isn't saying anything about the bike.
MAYBE... there was never a 'bike ride' ?

Agreed.
Good post.

I don't think it was the neighbor who thought she was on a bike ride --but someone who contacted said neighbor and wanted a welfare check or 911 call.
So where exactly did the 'bike ride' info come from ?
Daughters ? Husband ?
Probably not the nephew.

A small list of people who know what Suzanne might be doing.

And if the daughters and husband were away, how would they know what she was doing that specific day ?

I hate to type this ... but has the house been searched with HRD dogs ?
As in --what if she told a daughter she planned to go for a ride and fell and died (heart attack,etc.) before she could leave the house ?
Just thinking that LE should look over the house from top to bottom.
But how would that explain her bike and other personal items being found, one 2000 feet from her home, and on the trail? Good thoughts, but if it was some medical emergency, it wouldn't make any sense that her bike was found on a trail. How would she have gotten home? I am sure if such a thing occurred while she was bike riding, she would have been able to ask a fellow biker or hiker to call 911 to get her help.

I do believe this has been in MSM and it's on SM's FB as well. Her daughter decided to go to Chaffee Mountain College, I think it's slightly less than an hour away. About a year later, apparently, Suzanne and family began looking for someplace closer to daughter and moved to be near her.

Clearly, though, they were looking for a certain lifestyle, in a tiny Colorado town, but close to a small town. Salida, with a population of 5000, is about 20 minutes away. No neighbors within earshot, really.

Lots of mountain biking, hiking, snow activities, river rafting, National Forest on all sides. But, like many such places, it has its own local culture, crime scene and locals whose economic situation is definitely not what the Morphew family has.

The nearest real city is Colorado Springs, IMO. Ouray, Telluride and Silverton aren't far (although that road! good thing you don't notice how it's suspended until you're over it the first time).

dsc_0993.jpg

Gorgeous but note the lack of barriers - and there are sections that have pilings aiding in the structure of the road. Exciting, beautiful, wild - and about 3 hours away from Maysville.

Ouray, Telluride and Silverton are more expensive than the Salida area, for a house of that type (especially the first two). They are more artsy, with upscale boutiques, and quite a bit of tourism. Salida/Maysville is a different vibe, to me.

Thanks so much @10of Rods. I knew there was a connection.

I'm just kinda blown away with the amount of money there is out there for these kinds of places. And that's for a 12 year old home, which, although large and comfortable, looks dated and likely needs a lot of upkeep in those cold winters.

But how would that explain her bike and other personal items being found, one 2000 feet from her home, and on the trail? Good thoughts, but if it was some medical emergency, it wouldn't make any sense that her bike was found on a trail. How would she have gotten home? I am sure if such a thing occurred while she was bike riding, she would have been able to ask a fellow biker or hiker to call 911 to get her help.
If I missed this, apologies. Have they released info on where the item(s) and the bike were found? tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo