Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think he’s intentionally interfering with the case. I feel he’s doing anything and everything he can to find his aunt. I can’t imagine a family having to deal with such immense sadness and pain of the unknown. Everything they’ve done so far is exactly what I would have done. Starting with the high reward. Actually in my situation I would put up one million dollars immediately. Maybe more. Moo

I agree. If it were my family member I would be doing the exact same thing. There seems to be plenty of missing persons cases that have been mishandled by law enforcement. In the recorded interview he genuinely sounds like he desperately wants to find his aunt safe.

Actually paying for the searcher's food and lodging would be a certain out of pocket cash expense.

On the other hand, offering a large reward (that you know will never need to be paid out) is another..

Would LE even allow a private search party? Those needs permits in many places and can be classified with interfering with an investigation. Once the FBI is involved, perimeters usually tighten and they don't want "volunteers" inside that perimeter. Only LE-registered SAR teams. I'd be very surprised if a private search is allowed.

When Barbara Thomas disappeared almost a year ago, in Mojave Preserve, private individuals (unorganized by anyone) did go out with drones. But an actual drone search, that was organized, had to have local LE approval. Any organized search would have needed LE approval.

Individuals/family members were not excluded from going into the area, but nothing could be organized. Different jurisdiction, perhaps Chaffee County would be different - but given how tight-lipped they are and that the closed an entire road so no one could see where they might be looking - speaks volumes.

The compromised immune system and lockdown theory do make sense BUT.... Suzanne did post a picture with her 2 daughters the day before she went missing. I believe they said it was on facebook.

Apparently, as noted by others, that post was from 2019. And any picture, old or new, can be posted at any time, by anyone with access to the Facebook page.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Kinda like the bike deal. Did LE ever confirm what was said by the nephew, that the bike had been found? Because if that news came only from him, I may have to disregard that info. With so little information being shared by LE, then there's a reason LE is not confirming anything about the bike. IMO

No public family interaction with LE or the press is disturbing to me.

Unless the family thinks it is suicide. But I'm not getting that vibe from LE or any of the reporting. Or the nephew (though at this time, I'm taking what he says with a big grain of salt).

Last edited by a moderator:
Would LE even allow a private search party? Those needs permits in many places and can be classified with interfering with an investigation. Once the FBI is involved, perimeters usually tighten and they don't want "volunteers" inside that perimeter. Only LE-registered SAR teams. I'd be very surprised if a private search is allowed.

When Barbara Thomas disappeared almost a year ago, in Mojave Preserve, private individuals (unorganized by anyone) did go out with drones. But an actual drone search, that was organized, had to have local LE approval. Any organized search would have needed LE approval.

Individuals/family members were not excluded from going into the area, but nothing could be organized. Different jurisdiction, perhaps Chaffee County would be different - but given how tight-lipped they are and that the closed an entire road so no one could see where they might be looking - speaks volumes.
I haven't seen any videos of the home -- wondering if media is allowed to drive by the house. Someone said earlier that the road to the home was closed off at one point but
I've seen nothing in the MSM about that.

I've already posted this, but sometimes people join fire-fighting as a way to be involved and contribute to a community.

As a newcomer to CO, it was a smart move by BM to volunteer with something like firefighting, imo. It's a good way to network fast and be seen as a leader, etc. Work like that can be good for business.

I have no idea if that describes BM's involvement with fire fighting, just speaking to what might be.

jmo
The husband of my Colorado friend's daughter is a firefighter out of Colorado Springs. Training in this state involves staying fit and able to scale mountains at any given time. Some of his training involves climbing Pike's Peak with full gear on. Volunteering for this after living in Indiana, definitely would be challenging pursuit, if indeed he intended to help fight wildfires.

We have no idea when she was last seen alive. Has anyone said they saw her in the week before she was reported missing?

Nope. What's really peculiar is that even on Twitter and FB, there's only the exact same information that we've already gone over here, except for a few offbeat "tips." There's no one stepping up and saying, "Why I just saw her on Friday" or anything like that. We have absolutely no timeline for the day of her disappearance, nor any idea of when she was actually last seen.

Oh wow Colorado has been very active with Missing people and crimes. I really don't like to say this but I don't think she is Ok at att. If she had simply had a accident I don't understand why Le is not releasing any details. The not wanting any public help and no details being released. I am hoping I am wrong but to similar to another case . The way they handle the information and only using Agentchelp ummm. Sounds like not a criminal case that turned to a ..............
I must be stoopid so pardon me, but can you explain what Agenthelp uuummmm and the last sentence is supposed to mean?

Where did you get that she simply had an accident and that LE isn't releasing the details?

Here it is again. Beg pardon, it does say Denver.

Husband offers $100,000 reward as search continues for missing Colorado mom, Suzanne Morphew, who mysteriously vanished after going on Mother's Day bike ride

According to a family member, Suzanne Morphew’s husband was out of town on a trip to Denver at the time the Colorado mom was reported missing.

So, husband, or someone, tells family member, who repeats to the press what they've been told. All righty then.

Because I'm fairly certain the family member did not verify what they were told. So until LE source confirms that the husband was in Denver, I'll disregard that as rumor.

We have no idea when she was last seen alive. Has anyone said they saw her in the week before she was reported missing?

This ^^^^^^. LE must have this knowledge, otherwise, how do they build a timeline? But why would it have to be kept secret? I'd sure like to know the answer to when someone last saw or talked to Suzanne.

My head is really spinning on this case. On the one hand, I want to hear from her family, daughters, birth family, etc., about her as a person. But then a family member says whatever to the press, and I feel I cannot believe what they've said. ????????

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 16, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) continue the search for Suzanne Morphew.

Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.

While Saturday’s efforts didn’t involve a large-scale search similar to the one that took place on US Highway 50 on May 15, investigators continued to follow-up on tips and conduct targeted searches in the area based on information provided to those working the case.

To date, there have been more than 100 tips reported to the dedicated phone line as part of Ms. Morphew’s Missing Person case. The Chaffee County Sheriff's Office asks the public to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

We always need to be careful to not cast aspersions at innocent people. For those members who are suspicious that someone was out of town the day Suzanne disappeared, please also consider that it may have happened because someone knew that person would be out of town and Suzanne would be alone.

On another note, anyone have any ideas on why Department of Corrections would be involved in the search?

Here is what I found from on online CA state missing persons handbook:
"The Department of Justice, in conjunction with the Department of Corrections, shall update any supervised release file that is available to law enforcement on the California Law Enforcement
Telecommunications System every 10 days to reflect the most recent inmates paroled from facilities under the jurisdiction of the Department of Corrections.
The Corrections Standards Authority shall provide for the presentation of training to peace officers, which will enable them to more efficiently handle, on the local level, the tracing of missing persons and victims of violent crime."

BBM:

Agree that the nephew was baiting LE by urging the public to ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike.

Amateurish move, frankly.
Definitely an antagonistic move toward LE, as well.
Family and LE don't appear to be singing off the same hymn sheet.

Here's where my brain is going with that ask-about-the-bike business:

Hypothetically, let's just consider one possible scenario.

For the sake of argument, let's say that there's been a staged scene here, with the goal being to convince LE that SM was either abducted during a bike ride or that she'd had some type of biking accident.

If someone has gone to the time, trouble and risk of staging an abduction or accident, then it stands to reason that evidentiary props, including the bike, have been artfully arranged and/or altered to try to make it appear most convincing.

That particular someone's expectation would be that LE would buy into this scenario and quickly put the information about the bike out to the public, i.e., "We found her bike in what appeared to be damaged condition," or "We found her bike with signs that she may have been injured," etc.

LE not reporting anything about the condition of the bike would definitely throw that someone for a loop.

They'd want LE to share the news of the found bike with the public, as a way of pointing the finger of blame away from them completely.

In a staged abduction scenario, the bike is intended to be found, with the goal of misleading LE and the public.

Classic attempt at misdirection.

When I heard BM's nephew's demand that the public "Ask the sheriff about the condition of the bike," my brain immediately translated those words into the following message:

"Look over there. Not here."

JMO.

I agree with everything you wrote except the last part. IMO law enforcement is not sharing details of the investigation with the family. The reason? Someone close to SM is a suspect.

As a result, the family, which does NOT suspect a family member, thinks that law enforcement is wasting time chasing down these silly leads.

This would explain the nephew’s frustration at law enforcement not sharing details of the bike (or broader investigation) and it also explains (for me) why the G F M was started. The family thinks law enforcement isn’t looking where it needs to so the family is going to do its own search based on their thinking she was injured or abducted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member