Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t he also say something about hoping he would continue to cooperate? That seems weird to me.

It was a good three days between the Sheriff’s first refusal to comment on whether the husband was cooperating (during a “brief” interview in which he confirmed the criminal investigation was open, which is what really set the fire under this thread) and the more lengthy press conference yesterday when he said the husband was cooperating and they hoped he would continue to do so.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
At 6:58 into this complete, unedited video of the video of the press conference of Friday May 15, 2020 the Sheriff of Chaffee County clearly stated in answer to a question whether the husband was cooperating with LE:
"Yes, he's been cooperative at this point. We hope he continues to do so."
The sheriff stated several times that "this is an open investigation, so I can't comment specifics" and he answered several questions with:
"This is still a missing persons investigation."
At NO TIME did the sheriff EVER state that he couldn't say whether the husband was cooperating because it was a criminal investigation.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

In small western communities, neighbors still keep track of neighbors, as if they were family members. I don't think the neighbor's concern when she didn't return needs any more explanation than that. JMO

I do believe that the sheriff confirmed the bike was found, but refused to say what condition it was in. It was during yesterday's press conference. I mentioned that he might have been forced into answering about her bike being found because the nephew was telling people to call LE and ask about the condition of the bike- to which, I find a very odd thing to ask people to do.

One might think that there was something on - or with - the bike that was deliberately left by whoever may have put it there or taken SM. A “clue” that was deliberately designed to send the investigation (and accompanying rampant public speculation) down one particular route and one route alone. But that seasoned investigators smelt a rat on Sunday night and so they have deliberately not released details of the bike’s condition until they test their own theories. Thus nixing the assailant and (understandably) confounding and frustrating some or all members of the family who see the clue (or want to see the clue) purely at face value. IMO, just one theory as to why we’re not getting any info about the bike and why the nephew spoke out in frustration.

"On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.
Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home." Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

I've wondered, if the neighbor is a man, woman, or family, or commune or whatever.
This quote is the first time I see "They", and "their" for the "reporting party". So can we assume the neighbor is not a lone individual? Not that it matters, just curious, and maybe helpful that neighbor is at least 2 people who can corroborate whatever they saw, heard, or what they may have been told over the phone.
(unless the words they and their are just a way to keep the 1 neighbor anonymous as to gender.....but why?)
I know, I'm nitpicking.....just a bit starved for any productive info that can lead to Suzanne I guess.

For some clarification:
Professional dogs are trained to conduct very specific search types. In the Berreth case, we witnessed Colorado LE employ several different cadaver dogs but never a "live search" animal. In the trial, we found out why a living search was never considered. In this case, LE called out the corrections system search dogs, which are obviously highly trained to detect living persons, moving or stationary. They have little or no experience searching for remains. The sheriff described a grid search, within 2.5 miles of the intersection of County Road 225 and Highway 50. A five mile circle (2.5 mile radius) close grid is standard procedure for searching wooded terrain for a lost, injured or abducted person. Highway 50 is the paved road over Monarch Pass, which is the obvious reason for closing it while the grid was covered. There is a graded gravel area on the south side of Highway 50, which is the only automobile turnout in that stretch of road. The first gravel road taking off of County Road 225 to the left is Puma Path. The distance from the house on Puma Path to the intersection is .78 miles by road / driveway, but the "line-of-sight" distance is exactly 2000 feet, giving a strong clue to where objects belonging to SM were discovered. Source: Google Earth
Thank you for this excellent and informative post.

At 6:58 into this complete, unedited video of the video of the press conference of Friday May 15, 2020 the Sheriff of Chaffee County clearly stated in answer to a question whether the husband was cooperating with LE:
"Yes, he's been cooperative at this point. We hope he continues to do so."
The sheriff stated several times that "this is an open investigation, so I can't comment specifics" and he answered several questions with:
"This is still a missing persons investigation."
At NO TIME did the sheriff EVER state that he couldn't say whether the husband was cooperating because it was a criminal investigation.

Read this: https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/colorado-woman-missing-after-going-on-mothers-day-bike-ride/

Three days earlier.

hair scrunchie
cell phone
earbuds
ID/wallet
sock, assuming shoe had been lost
watch/fitbit
energy packets
wristbands
a knee, elbow, ankle support

etc?

My first guess would be that it was her phone or a Fitbit-type device, something that could give them a lot of information. I don't think they'd be quite so cautious about a wristband or water bottle. But that's just MOO.
If hubby and I go for long rides, we take with us:

small back packs with the following-
phone
trail mix- nuts and fruits
beef jerky
water
don't laugh- mini first aid kit, ace bandage included
whistle
ponchos
towel

about 3 pounds worth of stuff.

Last edited:

A few years back I had to attend a very important convention down into New Mexico.

Inside the arena you could not make a telephone call to save your life. And at the time I wasn't into texting. I refused to text.

But I found out real fast--that a text with spotty signals invariably WILL go through.

A text will make it through right away and a phone call won't. I could send a text, but even if it wasn't sent out for a few minutes as I walked around the arena--if I hit a good spot the text would go through. It was a lifesaver, a game-changer for me. I won't go anywhere without my phone!

So many questions, so very few answers.

- I'm sure an upscale house such as theirs had cameras. How come no picture of her on her bike was ever released. We would know the time she left and what she was wearing.

<modsnip>

- Within a very short time it turned into a major investigation with FBI involvement. As if immediately they knew something was wrong.

- Neighbour is too far to know the comings and goings - a family member possibly called the neighbour for a welfare check. Would it not be normal to call back the family member and leave it up to them if they want to report her missing.

- Why worry so soon, it remains light until about 8 pm, she could have met a friend and been delayed.

I have dozens more questions with no answers. I have a feeling the police knows and any day we will know everything, at least I hope so.

The compromised immune system and lockdown theory do make sense BUT.... Suzanne did post a picture with her 2 daughters the day before she went missing. I believe they said it was on facebook.
If I understood correctly, that picture on FB was actually taken a year ago. Not this year---but the Daily Mail got the dates incorrectly.....do I have that right?

I think the NY Post got that wrong about LE saying right from the start that it was an "open criminal investigation."

I think the Sheriff's statement was likely this, which the local Denver news reported:
On Wednesday, Sheriff John Spezze told CBS4 while it’s an open investigation, he would not rule out a criminal investigation.

Family: Suzanne Morphew's Husband Offers $100,000 Reward In Disappearance Investigation

Big difference. That doesn't mean that it's NOT an open criminal investigation - but I believe the sheriff's words were likely that it was an OPEN INVESTIGATION, but he "would not rule out a criminal investigation."

And the NY Post being the NY Post wrote that carelessly. (The NY Post wrote that on Wednesday, May 13, the same day the local Denver news reported this statement which sounds a whole lot more like what the sheriff would have said. And also is a very non-committal statement, being vague and technically honest while revealing not much of anything.)

ADMIN NOTE:

Please stop with the off topic posts. After 2 or 3, it ends up turning into Bartholemew's Hat where they just keep feeding off each other and popping up all throughout the thread.

On another note, Gray's video re Paige Renkoski has been removed. We do love Gray, but listening through any podcast is very time consuming. Please don't just post a link and expect members to know what is significant at the link as it relates to this case. If you post what appears to be an OT video about another case, please give members an idea of where to start (i.e. at 11:32) and what it is they are supposed to view or listen to or at least a summary of what you think is relevant.

At this time Plunder is not considered an approved source at Websleuths.

Don't bring rumors to Websleuths:

Posts about BM supposedly being away for firefighting training have been removed. There is no MSM to support that claim and it is therefore considered rumor.

Someone, somewhere, has claimed that SM sent the neighbour some communication about if she wasn't back, etc. There is no MSM to support that claim. It is considered rumor.

When we have this many TOS violations, we end up having to really crack down on it all and members will end up losing posting privileges. If you wish to keep posting, please make sure you are posting within The Rules or you may find yourself unable to post in this thread.

I would think heating it in winter was astronomical. But, location, location, location. Dark night skies, away from city noise and grime. Wonderful air. A rushing river.

However, I don't see anything in the local market that is that sort of open style, which many non-local people really want. Locals know how expensive that much glass is. I'm now looking at the other recent sales in Salida that are near that price range - there's a studio (no bedrooms listed) that's 4000 sf. For a hair under $1M. It has more typical windows (there's another one - gray colored, that is almost 5000 sf and sold for ~$1m, that reminds me of houses built or bought by friends and family at higher altitudes in Colorado, Utah, New Mexico). Minimize windows to keep it cool in summer, warmer in winter.

I didn't realize just how recently Suzanne had moved there. In fact, I wonder if they were in by Christmas. And what that's like, to uproot yourself from your own hometown of many years, your home state, and move to near Salida, CO. Altitude 7008 feet-ish, lots of snow. Skiing nearby. Beautiful outdoor life. But...a bit lonely for newcomers. Nearest neighbor looks to be .2 of a mile away.

It's an adventurous thing to do.

Your post, mentioning how 'adventurous' she was , and how 'uprooting' this was ---made me wonder about her recent health scare.

She must have been confident that she was over her cancer scare because she seemingly moved pretty far away from her previous doctors and clinics. I doubt Salida has the kinds of medical resources she needed previously. JMO

One might think that there was something on - or with - the bike that was deliberately left by whoever may have put it there or taken SM. A “clue” that was deliberately designed to send the investigation (and accompanying rampant public speculation) down one particular route and one route alone. But that seasoned investigators smelt a rat on Sunday night and so they have deliberately not released details of the bike’s condition until they test their own theories. Thus nixing the assailant and (understandably) confounding and frustrating some or all members of the family who see the clue (or want to see the clue) purely at face value. IMO, just one theory as to why we’re not getting any info about the bike and why the nephew spoke out in frustration.

Perfect!

I have the same question. Was this restaurant unordinary profitable?

ETA...or did I miss a different source of wealth? I was not aware that drive-in restaurants were terribly profitable??

I am from her hometown and know her birth family. Everyone is fond of the restaurant, but it is just a seasonal rootbeer stand in a small city.

Last edited:
Things a person would drop themselves in abduction scenario:
chapstick
water bottle
shoe
helmet
fingernails
hair
button
jewelry
?

I'm of the mind that there was no bike ride.
Just making a list in absence of information.
I'm a list maker.

BBM: re: jewelry...I was just looking at the pic with the ring and noticed her gold necklace. I wonder if she always wore that? Was just thinking it looks easily breakable and it would likely glisten in the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat