Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it looks like room service bothered them one too many times and Barry looks miffed.
I think the photo looks 'staged'.
I honestly don't see anything wrong with the photo, lol. I also don't think it was strippers (too funny!) at the door or anything nefarious. Just BM being BM. Which confirms my view of who he is.

Our own @riolove77 And @gitana1 Explained a few threads ago That they need a warrant for successful prosecution and our own @Angleterre has provided insight regarding the investigation process - it seems to me based on their expert /verified opinions Provided , This is proceeding nicely IMO

In my experience, including actually handling murder cases (& RICO cases, controlled substance cases, etc) covering multiple states and being worked by federal agencies that consent searches are used frequently. They are lawful and Constitutional. They in no way would harm the state's case if they were appropriately conducted.

When I was teaching criminal law and procedure to future members of LE, SW requirements and their exceptions, including consent searches were extensively taught.

I had a murder case and the FBI recovered a shirt worn by one of the defendants with blood splatter from the victim through a consent search that occurred two states away from the murder scene. It was a key piece of evidence in the trial. In that case the court ruled in pre-trial proceedings that defendant whose shirt it was had standing to challenge the consent search, but that the state had proven the consent was lawful under the standards. The evidence was allowed into trial and was one of the factors that lead to a conviction.

The FBI, CBI and CCSO all understand SW law and the exceptions to SW's, especially the consent exception. In my experience they use it when they can. The sheriff is a former narcotics detective from Denver, he knows the lawful parameters of a consent search and has likely conducted many of them during his time on duty...IMO

The first SW was confirmed be LE. IMO they could have specifically confirmed the other searches as being conducted pursuant to a SW. To my knowledge they only confirmed "searches" and not the existence of a SW for those searches.

I understand the inferences being drawn here on WS to cast more suspicion on the spouse of the missing person. However, in Court you do not have to infer whether a search was conducted pursuant to a SW or not. These are cold hard facts. A SW either exists or does not and a search was conducted pursuant to a well recognized exception to the SW requirement. In that case it would be up to the state to prove the exception was lawful.

IMO consent is the easiest exception to prove and that is why it is the most widely used exception to exception to the SW requirement used by LE....IMO.

Last edited:
In my experience, including actually handling murder cases (& RICO cases, controlled substance cases, etc) covering multiple states and being worked by federal agencies that consent searches are used frequently. They are lawful and Constitutional. They in no way would harm the state's case if they were appropriately conducted.

When I was teaching criminal law and procedure to future members of LE, SW requirements and their exceptions, including consent searches were extensively taught.

I had a murder case and the FBI recovered a shirt worn by one of the defendants with blood splatter from the victim through a consent search that occurred two states away from the murder scene. It was a key piece of evidence in the trial. In that case the court ruled in pre-trial proceedings that defendant whose shirt it was had standing to challenge the consent search, but that the state had proven the consent was lawful under the standards. The evidence was allowed into trial and was one of the factors that lead to a conviction.

The FBI, CBI and CCSO all understand SW law and the exceptions to SW's, especially the consent exception. In my experience they use it when they can. The sheriff is a former narcotics detective from Denver, he knows the lawful parameters of a consent search and has likely conducted many of them during his time on duty...IMO

The first SW was confirmed be LE. IMO they could have specifically confirmed the other searches as being conducted pursuant to a SW. To my knnowledge they only confirmed "searches" and not the existence of a SW for those searches.
And this is why a probable cause search warrant was issued in the second search of the Morphew property, IMO.
I understand the inferences being drawn here on WS to cast more suspicion on the spouse of the missing person. However, in Court you do not have to infer whether a search was conducted pursuant to a SW or not. These are cold hard facts. A SW either exists or does not and a search was conducted pursuant to a well recognized exception to the SW requirement. In that case it would up to the state to prove the exception was lawful.

IMO consent is the easiest exception to prove and that is why it is the most widely used exception to exception to the SW requirement used by LE....IMO.

And this is why I believe a probable cause search warrant was issued in the second search of the M's property.

I think that many of those other searches could have been conducted outside of Salida.

If there was a way to track BM’s movements (cell phone or vehicle gps), they may have followed the trail in the same way they did Letecia Stauch.

I’m open to them trying to rattle Barry, but at the same time, it’s not something that could be kept secret.

I mean, he knows if the body is buried there or not, and there’s no way of knowing what his reaction was.

IMO, when LE referred to 10 searches, many of those involved the wilderness areas, including Monarch Pass, that were searched early on by LE.

The property purchased and said augmentation approval is for a 100 foot well. :eek:

Published in The Mountain mail today.
NOTICE:

Looks like a driveway is going in, as well.
Building Department Permit Detail

Wow. (That’s gonna be my new opening for posts now, in the Land of BM.) Unbelievable.

Yes, life goes on after tragedy. But really? Within ten weeks after SUZANNE went missing, her husband buys property, and files paperwork for a well and a driveway.

More dirt work and concrete, eh?

Looks like a driveway is going in, as well.
Building Department Permit Detail

If someone knew how to do dirt work, get utilities hooked up, including some of the pump work for well or installing a back-flow valve, they could turn this property around to someone looking to build a house on it for a nice profit.

I just zoomed a 1031 CLE last week. I do not do 1031 work and refer my ag clients who are looking to due large 1031's to an exchange company who have tax attorneys specializing in this stuff.

However, theoretically if a person changes their primary residence in say 2018 to a new primary residence in a different state, they may be able to structure the use of the previous PR(if they still own it) in such a way as to qualify for a 1031, say in 2020. For example, convert it to a rental property in 2018. Lease it for a year and then put it under contract for sale in 2019, to close in 2020. Then in 2020 you purchase a developmental property (not a second home or personal use property) within the time period required, which is 45 days to ID and 180 days to conclude the exchange. This would require serious legal and accounting consultation and is planned out ahead of time.

I am not saying this is what all these real estate transactions and permits are about in this case, but it could explain what is going on in the background..IMO

If someone knew how to do dirt work, get utilities hooked up, including some of the pump work for well or installing a back-flow valve, they could turn this property around to someone looking to build a house on it for a nice profit.

I just zoomed a 1031 CLE last week. I do not do 1031 work and refer my ag clients who are looking to due large 1031's to an exchange company who have tax attorneys specializing in this stuff.

However, theoretically if a person changes their primary residence in say 2018 to a new primary residence in a different state, they may be able to structure the use of the previous PR(if they still own it) in such a way as to qualify for a 1031, say in 2020. For example, convert it to a rental property in 2018. Lease it for a year and then put it under contract for sale in 2019, to close in 2020. Then in 2020 you purchase a developmental property (not a second home or personal use property) within the time period required, which is 45 days to ID and 180 days to conclude the exchange. This would require serious legal and accounting consultation and is planned out ahead of time.

I am not saying this is what all these real estate transactions and permits are about in this case, but it could explain what is going on in the background..IMO

I agree that this transaction was made a while ago, unless of course, he knows people. As to his other transaction in IN, not so sure. He seems to be a fast mover. They have more properties in IN, let's see what happens to them.

I see sexual tension in that photo. The setting, the clothing, the tousled hair, their contrasting expressions. BM playing the role of Bad Boy; SM smitten.

It’s a real “album cover” type of shot.

It certainly is an outlier among photos of the couple and the family. I do think it depicts an element of their personalities, and of their relationship. Passion.

MOO

Agree, I initially thought, the message was, "what happens behind closed doors stays behind closed doors", or one of its versions.

Photos on Our Soc Media?
All I can say is if you become a suspect in disappearing your loved one, then yes, we are going to view every photo with a critical eye.
............................. :oops:Sooooo what about Sleuthers w no FB or I/G pages or Twitter a/c's? :oops:
.........................................................:DAre they subject to the strictest scrutiny?:D
:rolleyes: What if a decade + of retirement turned them into virtual Luddites for most 21st Century tech? :cool:
...................o_ODo they move to the top of local suspect list & FBI's 10 Most Wanted?o_O
........................................................................;) Just asking for a friend. ;) LOL.

Last edited:
The first SW was confirmed be LE. IMO they could have specifically confirmed the other searches as being conducted pursuant to a SW. To my knowledge they only confirmed "searches" and not the existence of a SW for those searches.
sbbm
I respectfully disagree. In an interview with reporter Lauren Scharf, Susan Medina (the CBI spokesperson) acknowledged that there was a sealed search warrant for the job site.

Lauren Scharf Question: When was the search warrant issued for the job site?
Susan Medina Answer: The search warrant is sealed.

at the 10:00 minute mark

Last edited:
Photos on Our Soc Media?

............................. :oops:Sooooo what about Sleuthers w no FB or I/G pages or Twitter a/c's? :oops:
.........................................................:DAre they subject to the strictest scrutiny?:D
:rolleyes: What if a decade + of retirement turned them into virtual Luddites for most 21st Century tech? :cool:
...................o_ODo they move to the top of local suspect list & FBI's 10 Most Wanted?o_O
........................................................................;) Just asking for a friend. ;) LOL.
Font analysis would catch 'em :cool:

The property purchased and said augmentation approval is for a 100 foot well. :eek:

Published in The Mountain mail today.
NOTICE:

Just FYI and not at all pertinent to this case :D
"af" is an acre-foot, an amount of water, not the well depth.
EDIT: And I just realized that it might not common knowledge what a well looks like - it's not a big gaping hole in the ground. They are about as narrow as a pipe. Not something you'd put something in. Lassie would never need to rescue someone from this well.

Getting your well and septic (if necessary) locations in and permitted/approved is wise to do before you fully design your house and foundation location because there are lots of setback rules - distance they have to be from each other, distance from neighbors' wells and septic, distance from house, and so on. I don't read anything nefarious into this, if you're gonna do it, ya gotta do it.

Acre-foot (af):
* 1 acre = 43,560 square feet.
* 1 acre-foot = 43,560 cubic feet.
* 1 acre-foot = 325,851 gallons of water = 1233 cubic meters of water.
* 1 acre-foot = 0.504 cfs/ day.

Water Measurement - Basic Units of Water | Colorado River District

Last edited:
I confess, I have not read all the preceding posts.
I have been following this case as much as possible between work (Healthcare worker) and life with 2 children & cockapoos.

Here are my feelings in a nutshell: They found evidence (Suzanne’s DNA) at BM’s worksite (the 3 day dig) which made them confirm she is dead.
If you will remember, there was talk of them getting dna from the daughters soon after. I believe it was soon after when all updates to the and nephew ceased.
I also believe SM was killed before Mother’s Day (up to 2 days prior) and the bike scenario was staged.
Possibly the Personal items found were her phone and bicycle.
I think, much like Gannon’s case, FBI are building their case. I’m very impressed with LE keeping so mum on all information (like with Gannon).
Arrest will be coming soon, I’m confident.

JMO

Idk why I keep thinking BM isn’t responsible. Maybe it’s because my husband of 25 years comes off as gruff. You could go through my social media and private photos and probably not find him or a smile. But he does laugh, he does smile and he does tease.....he is just a retired Marine and “gruff”. He just really dislikes social media and pictures.
I think people are reading too much into the photo. There could be a million reasons for their expressions in the photo.

Maybe I have doubts because there have been random cases where a stranger is the perp.

Maybe I have a restlessness because the LE and family are being so quiet.

Maybe being a recent breast cancer survivor has helped me see different sides to family and relationship dynamics.

I cannot put my finger on it and tbh it’s driving me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia