Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not go down that route. British press villifying an innocent man because he's maybe a little unusual is not the same as members of a sleuthing site speculating over theories.

JMO

I wasn't referencing it for that purpose, it was too point out the power of words and opinions without all the information and facts, and the damage it can cause, IMO you have just done the same thing - as you made an assumption about a statement without all the information

I couldn’t agree more with your thoughtful post.

I posted before about why I don’t think BM would resort to murder, considering the length of his marriage and his age. By BM’s point in life, he’s seen friends and family divorce and move on. Lots of ended relationships would have been observed, and learned from.j

I’ll ask the question. I’d like to hear the opinions of other Websleuthers who have been married 25+ years. Do those of you with long term marriages think BM would take the route of murder at this stage in the game?

I’ve known of people who don’t want to lose 50% 0f what they have acquired through divorce. I’ve seen cases where people try to get around that through the murder of their spouse.
2 years or 25 years into a marriage.

MOO

I couldn’t agree more with your thoughtful post.

I posted before about why I don’t think BM would resort to murder, considering the length of his marriage and his age. By BM’s point in life, he’s seen friends and family divorce and move on. Lots of ended relationships would have been observed, and learned from.

I’ll ask the question. I’d like to hear the opinions of other Websleuthers who have been married 25+ years. Do those of you with long term marriages think BM would take the route of murder at this stage in the game?

I’m in the 25+ club.

Marriages at this length, with adolescent aged kids......divorce is very difficult. It takes character and strength to end a marriage of this length. You’ve got to look your adolescent kids in the eye and tell them you are divorcing—for yourself, essentially. I do think that a person with a deep need to be seen in a certain light might be looking for options to get out of the marriage without facing any of the fault. If course, this would be an extremely self centered person. And the sad fact is, people do take this “easy” way out.

There is often a financial benefit potentially to be gained from a death, as opposed to an enormous financial hit of a divorce.

MOO

I always allow about a 2% possibility for the "opportunist" - the insidious ones that while not pre-planners, are very methodical (unfortunately in some cases, experienced) and highly intelligent. Probably not the case here.

The longer I live the more disappointed I am when I discover the kinds of things some men (and some women) will do, after being married for 25+ years.
For some, loyalty, devotion, and honoring vows means absolutely nothing.
So sadly, I will have to say yes, I think it's entirely possible he figured he could get rid of her, and not be caught.

jmo
One of the things we do not know is the health status of SM.

BM and SM were middle aged, not old, and soon to be empty nesters. SM may have been still attractive on surface but in a real sense been at least a partial invalid and in BMs perception no longer a complete wife after cancer treatment. If BM and SM divorced, there were not only the financial aspects but what of daughters and family and friends taking sides of a man jettisoning his wife of 25 plus years because of her health. If BM had wandered in the marriage, SM would have even more the obstacle.

People surprise and disappoint and act just awful at times to those they are expected to and have earned love.

It’s also interesting to note that SM hasnt posted anything about her husband on Facebook since 2017 I believe. Might not mean anything but it’s odd that she did before and then nothing after. A news article quoting a friend or family member said Suzanne was hesitant about the move but did find positives about it. If true it just doesn’t seem like she was the one who initiated it. I don’t want to get too much into it though as I don’t have a link for it.

Are you certain? Because private posts can't be seen by anyone other than facebook friends. I believe there are many posts since 2017.

What I don't get is how LE ruled out both suicide and stranger abduction so soon. I know it bugs all of us who regularly come to this thread.

I suppose they felt that if she had suicided, they would have found her. Perhaps there are other reasons, but since no one can know for sure if another person is suicidally depressed, it seems to me they must have positive evidence of crime.

Yet, we have no reason to believe that LE decided that it was not a stranger or suicide until at least 2 days after Suzanne disappeared. They were still in large scale "search for missing person" on May 11 near the spot the bike was found.

Then, I think it was May 12 or 13 when they said it wasn't suicide or a kidnapping. By then, they must have talked to BM (done a little alibi checking) and also gone inside the house. But surely there has to be more.

By the 13th, they would have talked quite a bit to BM and to the daughters, and to the few neighbors immediately nearby. It was too soon for much digital evidence to be available (do we even know when they took Barry's truck? Probably in the same search warrant which they used to actually search the house).
I’m going to disagree about the investigation quickly turning away from kidnapping (or abduction, attack or injury). The searches were daily and exhaustive for about 8 days. And they occurred along bike routes roads and trails. The largest search (with 90 LE officers) was 5 days into the disappearance on May 15th. There was another targeted search on May 16th which was based on clues found the day before. The next day, the 17th was the dive search and search of water sites in the area.

^^sbm

Bingo! I'm also more inclined to see this as a crime of passion that occurred prior to Mother's Day. MOO

I agree. I think his temper got out of his control. It's possible that he hurt her badly. Too badly to avoid consequences, too badly that she would ever forgive it. So badly that she needed immediate medical care. I think he may have then premeditatedly murdered her, to save himself from repercussions. Moo

I’m going to disagree about the investigation quickly turning away from kidnapping (or abduction, attack or injury). The searches were daily and exhaustive for about 8 days. And they occurred along bike routes roads and trails. The largest search (with 90 LE officers) was 5 days into the disappearance on May 15th. There was another targeted search on May 16th which was based on clues found the day before. The next day, the 17th was the dive search and search of water sites in the area.
Then why didn’t they release an official missing poster, and do all the other things they typically do (immediately) when abduction is on the table? I’m talking without exception too.

When Shanann Watts and her kids disappeared, an official missing persons poster was distributed.

When Kelsey Berreth disappeared, the same occurred.

Here, there was nothing. During one of her Facebook Live broadcasts, reporter Lauren Scharf even commented about how bizarre this was.

This isn’t how LE handles abductions, especially when the CBI and FBI are involved. They know what they are doing.

As for those searches, I believe they were both doing their due diligence, and looking for her body.

Meanwhile where is that poor woman? Who took her?
Murder cases usually take longer than a couple of days to solve. Experienced LE, FBI, CBI focused on one person within hours of a missing person being reported tells me a lot. MOO Even if Suzanne is never found, her disappearance/murder will be solved! 23,000 pages of discovery on Letecia Stauch, prior to the autopsy being completed!

One other thought- a good friend of mine divorced his wife. His wife was devastated. The kids, who he was always very close to, stopped speaking to him. One in high school, one in college. They now despise him.

If Suzanne wanted to end the marriage, for a reason that would be deeply upsetting to the girls, would he try to stop her?

Maybe LE DID find something at the construction site. Maybe not a body or even body parts but something. They haven't identified a POI yet so do they have to provide the information?
LE is not obligated to release any information on what was found during a search nor name POI in any Investigation. To me (MOO) it is odd the community isn’t being warned of possible abductors and body-dragging wild animals in the area! IMO
Edited by me for clarification

Last edited:
RSBM
Not trying to snarky, I'm really not. This is billed online as one of the world's largest true crime discussion forums. The rules are pretty tight for discussion and rumor's are not tolerated. Opinions are formed on information from approved sources, his MSM interview for example. We are allowed opinions as long as it is made clear that it is our opinion.

What pleasure did the posters get out of accusing her husband? Ego? Lonely? I'm not sure what Ego or lonely have to do with anything.

No pleasure I suspect, they reacted to an awkward interview and formed an opinion. It could be people are just participating in the whole purpose of the site and engaging in careful discussion.
I have seen tons of mea culpa's from people for forming that opinion at the time.

You wrote before about how people who thought Barry was guilty were busy "spewing hate." Disagreement isn't spewing hate.
How do you explain the Heidi Brussard case then? Many posters accused her boyfriend/husband, criticized his mannerisms (although they didn't make fun of his shirt), and criticized his story. Even after we found out he wasn't involved, people on this thread still blamed him for their accusations.

What satisfaction did these people get by making the accusations? They were wrong and made the world a little bit worse. If they had been right, would they have gotten satisfaction about making the correct prediction? Are they so bored, they just have to tell their opinions which in the end may be wrong? I don't understand it.

One other thought- a good friend of mine divorced his wife. His wife was devastated. The kids, who he was always very close to, stopped speaking to him. One in high school, one in college. They now despise him.

If Suzanne wanted to end the marriage, for a reason that would be deeply upsetting to the girls, would he try to stop her?

If they had divorced, he could well have been seen in a tarnished manner by the girls. But I don't think that is what would have upset him. Rather I think he would have been most upset about lose of assets and his damaged ego. Moo

I've been married 38 years.

Would BM have chosen murder? I don't know, really, but I can see him secretly being upset that his poor wife did not die of that cancer -- and make him a sad, grieving widow who can, in a year or two, attract a younger wife. He may be internally angry that this did not happen, and at very little provocation he may have shoved or hit SM and killed her in an outburst.

A mid-life crisis can make some people do just about anything to reclaim their youth (as in, get a young girlfriend).

I don't think the length of a marriage precludes either party from wanting out of a relationship at any point, but most people use divorce! However, there are those people who want the money of the relationship and don't want to share it.

There are also people who are conducting secret relationships that overwhelm their common sense. Go take a look at chumplady.com to read some serious horror stories about what happens when one party wants to get rid of the other party. There are some women posting there that have had attempts made on their lives (eek) and survived. Most are going through knock-down, drag-out divorces in which one party becomes a complete maniac. Most of the partners being chumped had no idea their spouse was so 'unhappy' with their long relationship.
OMG your post just scared the h*!! out of me! I’m scared to look at that website. And if I ever disappear or have some weird accident please someone tell LE to suspect my husband. Well they probably do that anyway ;) 38 years...I applaud you! I have this hopeful idea that it might get rough in the middle but then it gets better as the years go on. I hope I’m right!

How do you explain the Heidi Brussard case then? Many posters accused her boyfriend/husband, criticized his mannerisms (although they didn't make fun of his shirt), and criticized his story. Even after we found out he wasn't involved, people on this thread still blamed him for their accusations.

What satisfaction did these people get by making the accusations? They were wrong and made the world a little bit worse. If they had been right, would they have gotten satisfaction about making the correct prediction? Are they so bored, they just have to tell their opinions which in the end may be wrong? I don't understand it.

Can't help here, (and I don't see this ending even if I did reply) I don't care to beat a dead horse, I agree to disagree.

Different case. I never thought Heidi's boyfriend was guilty. It was sad the way he was treated.
I see too much that points to BM having a hand in Suzanne's disappearance to give him the benefit of doubt at this time. Others do. I listen carefully.
I'm not bored. The only satisfaction I want is justice for Suzanne.
I really wish it wasn't him. For the sake of his kids.
Moo

Can't help here, (and I don't see this ending even if I did reply) I don't care to beat a dead horse, I agree to disagree.
I agree with your post 1,000 % .

No one has made any accusations against BM.
Rather, we're looking at the totality of the available, factual evidence !

As well as what LE have and haven't done.
Some have made accusations against those who are on one side of the fence , and that's fine as we all have our opinions and are allowed to speculate on the available information including video evidence.

Imo the fact that BM seized Suzanne's assets while declaring her to be unable to make this choice to hold on to what belongs to her due to being declared "incapacitated" speaks volumes.
She is officially still "missing", not incapacitated, nor is she unable to make a conscious choice over her properties.
She is perfectly capable ... unless there's a reason she is not.
Or , is there someone out there who knows something we do not ?
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member