Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Gdn'ship Necessary for BM to Complete Sale? part 2.
@DizzyB More thoughts about why BM went to ct.

Q: Why not just sign SM's name (by BM) on deed to close the sale? Or if BM signs SM's name on deed & doc's at closing (w'out a doc authorizing it, such as Power of Attorney doc or Letter of Guardianship & Order & Letter Appointing Guardian), so what? hat, who cares?

RSBM

I'm on board with what you wrote. What I don't understand is that no one had Power of Attorney ...(just seems like common sense and a very common situation for most of us at age 49 )especially after two recent bouts with cancer. Barry and Suzanne certainly strike me as people being sophisticated and savvy enough to have tied up the loose ends that would take care of their family and assets with the least amount of hassle, hoop jumping.

I realize AL66, that's not your problem to figure out...just makin a comment here, adding my 2 cents, not killing the messenger BTW.

Last edited:
Would there have been any other way for BM to have executed the real estate deal without having Suzanne declared incapacitated?

Absolutely! Public record shows that the couple previously used a Real Estate Power of Attorney (POA) document to conduct business in Indiana.

A power of attorney for real estate is a useful, but limited, legal document that allows you to give someone the authority to buy or sell real estate for you, or to conduct any other business concerning real estate that you own.

The real question here is why SM's POA was revoked or non-existent if they were subject to such an important, pending transaction.

It's evident that there was also no Durable Power of Attorney between SM and BM -- notwithstanding SM's prior health issues.

I think it's fair to say that for most longterm couples (married for 25+ years), this is a no brainer. MOO

That's the problem: one can't possibly see what a grieving spouse says or does in the privacy of his/her own home & among loved ones.
Well, we do know that his friend said (on MSM, I think the DM) that when staying with a friend, while he wasn't permitted back in his house, he was pacing and constantly looking out the window.
Now, one could assume that he thought his wife might wander past another home that was supposed near but that's not my take on his anxiety.
Anyway, we all see things differently, I guess.

That's the problem: one can't possibly see what a grieving spouse says or does in the privacy of his/her own home & among loved ones.

LE tried to see (a second time) something they needed in that home.

Finding Suzanne Morphew: Investigators Search Home Again, Say No One Has Been Ruled Out As Suspect
...investigators are aggressively working this case on a daily basis,” said Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze. “And until we determine what happened to Suzanne, we can’t discount any scenario or formally eliminate anyone from suspicion.

MOO

I'm watching Dateline Saturday Night Mystery
About a lady named Suzie who was murdered

A suspect being interrogated just said:
Oh Suzie! Where are you?
(While law enforcement were out of the room)

Made twilight zone music play in my head:/

Oh Suzie! Where are you?

Ha! That was so transparent/weird. It’s almost as if he knew he was being recorded, and figured that would somehow help him...

It didn’t

I don't understand what it is you think people should do on a discussion forum dealing with true crime.
Are you saying that people shouldn't draw conclusions of one kind or another?
That they shouldn't make inferences about this or that or shouldn't propose theories regarding what might have occurred?
Are you saying they shouldn't conclude that so-and-so is the perp or that so-and-so is not the perp? Why? One, what is the point of discussing true crime aside from doing these things? What else is there to talk about? Two, who does this harm?
Provided no one is misrepresenting the facts of the case --- something that is not allowed here --- and provided no one is simply saying horrible things about someone involved in the case --- something that is also not allowed here --- no one is harmed by my saying, "I think BM is responsible for SM's disappearance," nor is anyone harmed by Poster818987 saying, "I don't think BM is responsible," nor is anyone harmed from your saying, "I don't think we have enough facts in the case to say one way or another."

Many people here have concluded, for a variety of reasons, that BM is responsible for SM's disappearance. This seems to bother you, but I don't really understand why. No one is saying they know he is responsible, because no one can reasonably say that. No one is saying there's no chance they've misinterpreted this or that aspect of this case, because of course it's possible that people have misinterpreted this or that aspect of this case.

However, many here are of the opinion that BM is responsible for SM's disappearance, and again, many people here have come to this conclusion for a variety of reasons. No one is saying this simply because they don't "like the look of his eyes" and no one is ghoulishly wishing harm upon him or showering him with invective. People have simply assessed the facts of the case and determined that a variety of things point to BM. Why does this bother you so?
bbm
Excellent comment.

There are probably other sites in which the basic facts of a crime can be discussed but nothing offensive is mentioned for those who are more sensitive.
A true crime forum is going to delve into some unpleasantness .

When Leticia Stauch mentioned that Gannon's blood would be found on the woodworking tools since he'd cut his foot I speculated that the step mother had possibly done something far worse to this young boy.

It turned out to be true as sadly part of his remains were found in CO and others (the bulk of his body iirc) were discovered by a highway employee in FL.
Some members were strangely upset that anyone would even theorize that severe harm had come to this child.
But I'd suggest to them that there are many other forums to discuss true crime that only have media timelines and articles and do not allow for any speculation.

WS is not that type of forum.

We can hope that Suzanne is alive and well, but I fear the opposite as I don't believe she'd walk away from her girls.

It's unrealistic, imo, that any spouse would act as BM has behaved since May 10th.
And it's far more strange than just a head-scratching, "Well, that's odd."

There's been no urgency to find this lady outside of LE.

In one of Anne Rule's books ("Kiss me, kill me") she included the case of Julie Weflen whose husband searched and spent everything he had to find her.
For years.
Anne said it was one of the more difficult interviews she'd had, as she could sense his enormous grief and desolation. (paraphrased) :(

Not sensing a desperate need to find Suzanne outside of LE and complete strangers, and that's so tragic.

BM Seeking Gdn'ship.
RSBM
I'm on board with what you wrote. What I don't understand is that no one had Power of Attorney ...(just seems like common sense and a very common situation for most of us at age 49 )especially after two recent bouts with cancer. Barry and Suzanne certainly strike me as people being sophisticated and savvy enough to have tied up the loose ends that would take care of their family and assets with the least amount of hassle, hoop jumping.
I realize AL66, that's not your problem to figure out...just makin a comment here, adding my 2 cents, not killing the messenger BTW.
@Murphy1950 No worries from me about your post.
Agreeing w you, seems BM & SM would have taken measures to address these matters. Is it possible they used an online app to crank out a one-size-fits-all template for power of atty or a trust agreement, which title co did not find acceptable. That could have forced BM to seek guardianship to complete the sale. Based on experience personally buying & selling real est, title ins. co's are quite exacting in the 'magic phrases' they require in PoA's & trust doc's. Well, all doc's for that matter. jm2cts.

Last edited:

Oh Suzie! Where are you?

That just reminded me...
If BM truly believed that 'someone' took his wife, why wouldn't he offer the reward to anyone who could lead LE to her body, instead of 'safe return'? I know we've talked about this but here's another spin.
Say, someone knows someone in the area who said that he was out to find a woman to abduct. They do seem to find each other, whether they meet in jail or are on some sick dark web shat or even just a drunken/drugged conversation.
They might be tempted by the reward, given the company they keep.
Doesn't that sound reasonable, to want to give your wife a proper burial and put the *advertiser censored* who did it in jail?
Is the money so important? Or, was that reward just for public/LE consumption.
But then again, he took care of everything with the POA.
There are so many reasons to believe that BM is suspicious. I agree with everyone in the recent threads who've noted the many details why.
I find no joy, in the least, of accusing a person of murder (which I haven't, formally).
My ONLY concern is justice for the victim and those who loved her.

IMO and ONLY supposition.

He should have said I’m worried sick and I already called 911 because that’s my wife that might be missing!!

Just an observation that may or may not pertain to this case.

It's extremely difficult to use 911 when one is any notable distance away from the emergency. I had the unfortunate experience of trying to alert LE of a person missing 2 hours from my location at the time I placed the call to 911. I was routed, re-routed, and re-routed some more before I was finally connected to LE in the area of the emergency. I estimate that it took me no fewer than 20 minutes to reach LE in the vicinity of the emergency. Each time I was connected to a new agency, I had to explain again who I was, why I was calling, and supply details of the missing person. When I finally reached local LE, they requested that someone local be at the scene to let them in to do a welfare check and proceed with a missing person report if warranted.

It's possible, as BM is a firefighter, that he knew of the obstacles of using the 911 system from a distance or that the report needs to be filed locally to where the person resides/went missing.

PoA Used in the Past.
Absolutely! Public record shows that the couple previously used a Real Estate Power of Attorney (POA) document to conduct business in Indiana.
A power of attorney for real estate is a useful, but limited, legal document that allows you to give someone the authority to buy or sell real estate for you, or to conduct any other business concerning real estate that you own.
The real question here is why SM's POA was revoked or non-existent if they were subject to such an important, pending transaction.
It's evident that there was also no Durable Power of Attorney between SM and BM -- notwithstanding SM's prior health issues.
I think it's fair to say that for most longterm couples (married for 25+ years), this is a no brainer. MOO
@Seattle1 Now that you mention it, I recall a post about BM & SM using a PoA. Was it used for a real estate transfer? How recently?
Excellent question --- why did SM revoke it? Or for some reason, was it not applicable to IN home prop, maybe drafted for a specific property only? Seems esp'ly important, w pending transaction. jmo.
@Seattle1 Glad you raised the question.

Last edited:
I think there is nothing worse than speculating based on the facts. It’s not like this is a crime discussion forum.

What we should be doing is looking everywhere but the obvious. This way we are careful not to offend anyone, and who knows, one day we may end up being right.

Along those lines, I think Suzanne was abducted by a random perpetrator, the FBI and CBI have no clue what they’re doing, all those searches are irrelevant, and a judge is just signing off on search warrants because his hand needs exercise.

Or not...
Well I think that abductor is Eguardo. Just thinkin' outside the box here.

Let me put it this way. It was a wild ride and much on the edge. Glad it is over. Now don't have that much time to live but have what I need to be comfortable.

Much like BM, I was put in situations where had to act and keep moving. Had a tool kit from education and employment that helped. Plus was demonized by those jealous and by folks that on their principals opposed categorically what I was doing or neighbors to projects. Lots of court costs. Lots of time and expense permitting and then sold permitted projects where others got the major economic benefit. Much more complex than BM possibly doing a 1031 and doing the steps to build what is probably for tax purposes now considered a spec house, whether a 1031 was involved or not.

Unlike BM I was never suspected or accused of any crime much less murdering a wife and nothing became public fodder in a media sense. I do suspect that the house sale in IN and home site purchase in CO are linked (maybe not by 1031) and were in progress prior to SM gone missing.

Considering what little we know, I agree with a majority of WS that things look very bad for BM.
Dear BuySellTrade,
I live in southern Michigan, and we had a lady in this county live to celebrate her 115th birthday. She attributed her longevity to drinking milk and eating fish.
I hope you also surprise everyone (including yourself) with triple digit birthdays.
Peace.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads