Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve thought of many scenarios while trying to give BM the benefit of the doubt because I would love to see this be a case where the husband didn’t do it.

However, I watch what LE is interested in and BMs own actions, and I can’t ignore those things.

LE has focused on the house. Would a random abductor or stalking have hurt her in the home?
It’s possible but... how would they know BM would go to work that Sunday (BM said he normally wouldn’t work on Sunday)
It was Mother’s Day, how would they know SM wouldn’t have company?
Would they know alarm wasn’t working?
They must have gotten real lucky that day! Perhaps they should have also bought a lottery ticket o_O
JMO

Absolutely! Public record shows that the couple previously used a Real Estate Power of Attorney (POA) document to conduct business in Indiana.

A power of attorney for real estate is a useful, but limited, legal document that allows you to give someone the authority to buy or sell real estate for you, or to conduct any other business concerning real estate that you own.

The real question here is why SM's POA was revoked or non-existent if they were subject to such an important, pending transaction.

It's evident that there was also no Durable Power of Attorney between SM and BM -- notwithstanding SM's prior health issues.

I think it's fair to say that for most longterm couples (married for 25+ years), this is a no brainer. MOO

Those BBM are very good questions.

Is there a link (asked in general not to Seattle1) that is specific to SM's health issues / cancer(s)?

The only source I am aware of is from BM and I cannot find that at present.

As context, I underwent 6 chemo treatments for NHL spaced 3 weeks apart (two were because of circumstances 4 weeks) in 2018. Before starting chemo there was a training program and I was assigned a social worker. Part of the preparation was to inform on all the practical things to be done were the legal aspects, a durable power of attorney for health care was required before starting chemo. The social worker was available during treatment and is available to me currently as needed. I still meet regularly with oncologist and have labs, PETs, and port maintenance. Such is life now.

Under advice (and common sense), an attorney also prepared a will, put my assets into a Trust, and named an Executor / Trustee. The attorney and his wife happen to be good friends but that only made things more convenient.

bbm

When Leticia Stauch mentioned that Gannon's blood would be found on the woodworking tools since he'd cut his foot I speculated that the step mother had possibly done something far worse to this young boy.

It turned out to be true as sadly part of his remains were found in CO and others (the bulk of his body iirc) were discovered by a highway employee in FL.
Some members were strangely upset that anyone would even theorize that severe harm had come to this child.

Sorry to be OT but this is not something I've seen before and I follow Gannon's case.
I was of the belief all of him was in the suitcase located in Florida.
Can you share a link that mentions how you describe his remains?
TIA

It's possible, as BM is a firefighter, that he knew of the obstacles of using the 911 system from a distance or that the report needs to be filed locally to where the person resides/went missing.

As a first responder in a rural/smalltown area, I think is it 100% probable that BM knew (in his phone if not in his memory) both the phone number to Chaffee County Sheriff's Office Dispatch (ie the non-emergency number) as well as the cell number of whichever sheriff's deputy normally covers Maysville.

Wow.

Buy property in Salida. Check.

Make sure utilities for said new property are in place. Check.

Hey, um, your wife SUZANNE is missing. Remember her?

How about making sure your missing wife SUZANNE is listed on national missing persons website? Get her DNA and dental records on file on said websites in case an unidentified body is found? (Last I checked, SUZANNE was on NAMUS, with the bare minimum of information. Things might have changed in the last few days.)

How about making public pleas for her to be found?

Well, exactly.

Thanks for that PF quote

Well, we do know that his friend said (on MSM, I think the DM) that when staying with a friend, while he wasn't permitted back in his house, he was pacing and constantly looking out the window.
Now, one could assume that he thought his wife might wander past another home that was supposed near but that's not my take on his anxiety.
Anyway, we all see things differently, I guess.

Perhaps BM was pacing and constantly looking out the window' NOT that he thought his wife might wander past another home that was supposed near, BUT LE would come KNOCKING.

A lot of my thinking has been driven by the assumption that something was found during the various search’s from the SW’s. It gives me some pause, in that if nothing has been found, it would change my thinking quite a bit. I am guessing from LEs behavior that something was.
Oh, Barry.......

I don't think so. Of course maybe someone can blow it up larger than I can, but I think I see something at the waist in the foursome pic too.
It doesn't really matter except to say I think the family was on vacation and they looked like a happy family.
BM's look on his face in that one pic looks a bit annoyed but who knows what was happening at that second?

I think they do look like a happy family. And a beautiful family!

But.... many years ago, my best friends brother’s family looked the same. I thought they were perfect and what I wanted my future to look like. Until one night, after a family gathering, he walked me to my car and during the usual hug goodbye he tried to kiss me! Then slipped me his card and asked me to call if I was interested in getting together sometime. Um, that’s a hard no!

Not meant to be off topic. Just noting that picture perfect families are sometimes not.

I think they do look like a happy family. And a beautiful family!

But.... many years ago, my best friends brother’s family looked the same. I thought they were perfect and what I wanted my future to look like. Until one night, after a family gathering, he walked me to my car and during the usual hug goodbye he tried to kiss me! Then slipped me his card and asked me to call if I was interested in getting together sometime. Um, that’s a hard no!

Not meant to be off topic. Just noting that picture perfect families are sometimes not.
I can't tell you how many of my friends, who were married or together for 20, 25 even 30 years, were having affairs.
Sometimes, the 'other woman' (and in one case the 'other man') would become impatient and demand they get a divorce, or else.
The 'or else' would mean an almost certain suit filed by the injured party.
It happens, a lot.

PoA Used in the Past.
@Seattle1 Now that you mention it, I recall a post about BM & SM using a PoA. Was it used for a real estate transfer? How recently?
Excellent question --- why did SM revoke it? Or for some reason, was it not applicable to IN home prop, maybe drafted for a specific property only? Seems esp'ly important, w pending transaction. jmo.
@Seattle1 Glad you raised the question.

Indiana utilizes Doxpop for public records access - a fee-based service.

To be clear, my purpose for bringing this up is only to confirm that completing real estate transactions by POA was not something unfamiliar to the Morphews.

The last POA by SM was recorded May 2, 2019 in Hamilton County, IN, and its purpose was real estate. I recall the transaction was related to Cal Carson Rd., Arcadia, IN.

Doxpop

Absolutely! Public record shows that the couple previously used a Real Estate Power of Attorney (POA) document to conduct business in Indiana.

A power of attorney for real estate is a useful, but limited, legal document that allows you to give someone the authority to buy or sell real estate for you, or to conduct any other business concerning real estate that you own.

The real question here is why SM's POA was revoked or non-existent if they were subject to such an important, pending transaction.

It's evident that there was also no Durable Power of Attorney between SM and BM -- notwithstanding SM's prior health issues.

I think it's fair to say that for most longterm couples (married for 25+ years), this is a no brainer. MOO

This feels like something that could be a key factor.

Speculation
Allegation
Accusation
Correct me if I'm wrong but is speculation either allegation or accusation? I don't think it is, so if I clearly identify a comment as speculation it should not be construed to be either an allegation or accusation. But if I'm wrong I need to know so I don't repeat the same mistake. Thanks.

Speculation
Allegation
Accusation
Correct me if I'm wrong but is speculation either allegation or accusation? I don't think it is, so if I clearly identify a comment as speculation it should not be construed to be either an allegation or accusation. But if I'm wrong I need to know so I don't repeat the same mistake. Thanks.
Agree.

spec·u·la·tion
/ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"

Similar:
    conjecture, theorizing, hypothesizing, supposition, guesswork

I've watched this case from the beginning, and there is one thought which is purely speculative on my part that keeps persisting. Is it possible this was a "murder for hire"?
I think that is a possibility, but very low on my list. Why would they remove her body? What would the advantage of her remaining missing and not found deceased? If it was a hit, wouldn't they want her found?

If this was a limited PoA, he would only be able to sign for the specific transaction(s) SM designated within.

I think that is a possibility, but very low on my list. Why would they remove her body? What would the advantage of her remaining missing and not found deceased? If it was a hit, wouldn't they want her found?
Interesting question. You would think a pro would not leave contact trace or other evidence and therefore concealment wouldnt be a priority. A pro would want to be out of there, fast.

I think reasons for hiding a body generally would obviously be fear of trace evidence etc, but in the case I suspect time of death may be important.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member