Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the slim chance BM is not involved. Has the possibility of SM while being on a bike ride, then struck by a vehicle, been ruled out? In a panic the motorist could have moved and hid her body and also planted the personal item up the road. In my opinion this is not what happened and I also believe it's a very slim chance of a possibility. I'm just wondering if this scenario has been ruled out?
IMO Nothing has been ruled out by LE, we did discuss it, many threads ago, some members have ruled it out.

Do you have a source for TN saying that BM was in Denver for firefighter training? I've seen that repeated on this thread a number of times, but I couldn't find a MSM source for it myself.

There's a dedicated media thread that has all the MSM articles about the case.

HERE

Last edited:
I don’t think Barry himself said it was for firefighter training, just that he was at work in Denver.

The fire chief stated he was told that's where BM was, but said that they hadn't planned any, but that people would book their own iirc - was it BM that said he was on a job in Denver? I thought that it was the nephew - there is so much to read on here - I'm getting confused :eek::)

Do you have a source for TN saying that BM was in Denver for firefighter training? I've seen that repeated on this thread a number of times, but I couldn't find a MSM source for it myself. As far as I can tell, the first MSM mention of the firefighter training version of the alibi is from this Daily Mail article which just says 'Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew, 52, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver, Colorado, when she vanished.' But it doesn't give a source for that. And I don't think BM has ever spoken to the Daily Mail. So I wouldn't be shocked if they were just paraphrasing a social media rumor or something.

On the one hand, BM changing alibis could account for why LE became focused on him so quickly. On the other hand, lying about attending a firefighter training seems like the world's dumbest fake alibi since all it would require to debunk is asking any of the other firefighters. And of course there wasn't even a training in this case. So I'm a little hesitant to believe that BM went with something that transparently false. Of course, you don't have to look farther than the Stauch case to see that some people aren't very good at lying to the police, so anything is possible.

BBM: I think there is a tiny fraction of people that can successfully lie to the police. Some of those, can be quite dangerous individuals. I don't think BM would be successful in lying to the police. MOO.

BBM: I think there is a tiny fraction of people that can successfully lie to the police. Some of those, can be quite dangerous individuals. I don't think BM would be successful in lying to the police. MOO.
Even if he was a great liar, he would still run into massive issues.

His cell phone should show them exactly where he was, and when he was there.

Suzanne’s phone activity should help determine when she was last alive.

There may be forensic evidence that shows an act of violence occurred in that home.

Security cameras may have captured suspicious activity and inconsistencies.

Witnesses may have seen or heard things.

We have the Daily Mirror reporting the Denver firefighter training alibi. Then BM himself telling TD that he had a Denver job site. I don't have any reason to believe either one exists.
As to that seeming awfully stupid to give fake alibis, yes it is. If he did that, I can only think that he thought he had arranged the set up so convincingly that LE would never view him as a suspect. That would be astonishing and would say a lot about his personality.
But that's what I'm leaning towards. Moo

Even if he was a great liar, he would still run into massive issues.

His cell phone should show them exactly where he was, and when he was there.

Suzanne’s phone activity should help determine when she was last alive.

There may be forensic evidence that shows an act of violence occurred in that home.

Security cameras may have captured suspicious activity and inconsistencies.

Witnesses may have seen or heard things.

Finances, often. Bank activity masked as usual but unusual in amount, etc.

Could he have told someone else he was at FF training ( TN, or the neighbor), but told LE something else? It might be possible that he may have said he was working in Denver in the beginning, and a publication jumped right into his firefighter profession that was listed, and assumed it was firefighter related. It’s the training part that gives me pause. Where did they get the training from? That’s a pretty big jump.

I think I might have heard of one case, but in that case, the personality was perfectionistic, the time on his side, the POI lawyered up super early and the lawyer handled the communication. I wonder if it would have worked today in CO, but who knows.

ETA: in a way, Casey Anthony, because that case should have had a different ending, but what might change are the laws since that time. So I hope it will be more difficult to deceive the police.

Last edited:
Could he have told someone else he was at FF training ( TN, or the neighbor), but told LE something else? It might be possible that he may have said he was working in Denver in the beginning, and a publication jumped right into his firefighter profession that was listed, and assumed it was firefighter related. It’s the training part that gives me pause. Where did they get the training from? That’s a pretty big jump.
That is my recollection, the DM made the original leap from finding out he was a firefighter to a idea that was attending something FF related in Denver. It took off from there.
Sheriff knows what his alibi is and whether it checked out.

That is my recollection, the DM made the original leap from finding out he was a firefighter to a idea that was attending something FF related in Denver. It took off from there.

Daily mail is great for pictures, almost makes up for the shoddy reporting, but not quite. Note to DM. Quotation marks count in reporting... they have come full circle here...from "reportedly", to he said, he said , and then back to "reportedly" again. Safe to say they never talked to Barry or heard him speak to where he was, his alibi. IMO

Morphew’s husband, Barry, was reportedly out of town some 150-miles away in Denver when she went missing. 14 May 2020

Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew, 52, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver, Colorado, when she vanished. Daily Mail , 20 May 2020

Morphew, who made an impassioned social media video pleading for his wife's return, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver when his wife vanished. Daily Mail , 23 May 2020

On the day Suzanne vanished, husband Barry Morphew was reportedly in Denver at a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter. Daily Mail…. 24 July 2020

Last edited:
MOO I think it's #2. My gut tells me LE is keeping evidence related informations very close to vest, even from family.

I think that if LE wanted to speak directly to, say, the daughters, they're going to have to play a game of reciprocity. The daughters aren't going to just answer questions - they are going to ask some as well. LE has to say *something* when family members ask. Sure, LE can lie, but people sense that and it doesn't make for a great fact-finding interview.

Maybe LE hasn't talked to any family at all (very odd, don't know how they can avoid that) and is going only by people's various digital traces. But I doubt that very much.

Do you have a source for TN saying that BM was in Denver for firefighter training? I've seen that repeated on this thread a number of times, but I couldn't find a MSM source for it myself. As far as I can tell, the first MSM mention of the firefighter training version of the alibi is from this Daily Mail article which just says 'Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew, 52, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver, Colorado, when she vanished.' But it doesn't give a source for that. And I don't think BM has ever spoken to the Daily Mail. So I wouldn't be shocked if they were just paraphrasing a social media rumor or something.

On the one hand, BM changing alibis could account for why LE became focused on him so quickly. On the other hand, lying about attending a firefighter training seems like the world's dumbest fake alibi since all it would require to debunk is asking any of the other firefighters. And of course there wasn't even a training in this case. So I'm a little hesitant to believe that BM went with something that transparently false. Of course, you don't have to look farther than the Stauch case to see that some people aren't very good at lying to the police, so anything is possible.
Your last sentence would explain it. That and maybe he's just not that bright. Someone may have quickly alerted him to how that alibi wouldn't wash.
What I'd find even odder would be that someone would find it appropriate to repeat such a story if it had not been said by someone. It was so early on that I really don't think there was enough time for that rumor to even surface.
It is ridiculous to think there'd be a training session, on Sunday Mother's Day, during a shutdown, no less.
I hope we'll get the answer to that question, one day.

Well, apparently the nephew made the leap before the DM did. And it got out to other newspapers. Then someone asked the Fire Chief, who squashed that idea. Then BM talked to TD and mentioned that he had a job in Denver (IIRC).

Somehow "I had a job I needed to prepare for in Denver" got transmuted to "I was going for training in Denver that weekend" by the family spokesperson. It would have been great if TN (nephew) had corrected himself - but I think he didn't, because he didn't believe he misunderstood. He repeated what he was told, faithfully and did his best to help his uncle. By conveying what he was told to convey.

If the alibi checked out (for the entire period LE needs the alibi to check out), then I think LE would have cleared BM.

The fire chief stated he was told that's where BM was, but said that they hadn't planned any, but that people would book their own iirc - was it BM that said he was on a job in Denver? I thought that it was the nephew - there is so much to read on here - I'm getting confused :eek::)

"...but that people would book their own iirc -"
That part I don't recall.
And I can't think of how one could do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia