Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been called a "defender" of Barry Morphew, but I'm not enamored of the guy. I don't know him personally.

That being said, I am bewildered by the fact that so many people suspect him -- and use investigators' actions with respect to him as justification for doing so -- while at the same time seemingly ignore investigators' warning that nobody has been ruled in or out.
bbm
I'm unsure of who said you were a 'defender' of BM ?
I wasn't picking that up from your comments.

Re. the bolded : Neither do I.
That's probably a good thing, as I might be pestering him with questions if I were a family member of Suzannes', or a friend/relative of BM's.
Nosiness (for a person missing more than two months without a trace) is one of my virtues.
Or not, depending how someone looks at it.

My comment wasn't directed at you, @lamlawindy ; nor anyone in particular. :)

I'm going by what LE have told us and also not said.
Everything else including opinions that may or may not be stated as fact -- are just speculation and theories that keep this thread alive.
Hth.

I agree.

JMO
The one thing that has been bothering me about how LE did the searching of that job site was it was pretty limited to a certain area. Is there a chance the searching was not done in the right spot the perp used?

My concern is maybe someone attempted to burn her body somewhere else and realized they could not get everything reduced to ash so they may have brought the remaining remains to mix in with the dirt being used to spread underneath the cement pour.

What we witnessed during the search from live video news shots and also post search news coverage is the area that was searched on the slab itself was limited to just a certain area.

LE first cut the slab into small rectangles or squares to remove the concrete and then dug into the dirt below the slab. This was only done for a relatively small area of the slab.

So my concern is maybe they were in the wrong place and some of her remains could still be there?

From working some construction many years ago I do know that when concrete is freshly poured and sets up, you can usually tell just by looking at it which part of the concrete is still "green" and which part was poured a long time ago. The "green" concrete will usually be darker in color because it still has moisture in the hardened cement. Over time the cement will turn a lighter color as all the moisture evaporates away and the concrete gets older.

So maybe LE could tell which parts had to be the more fresh concrete from a recent pour. I hope that was the case because I still worry they may have been in the wrong spot.

I would have been inclined to go ahead and rip up the entire slab for any spot that had the slightest chance of being newer concrete.

Maybe they had GPS location evidence that a POI was indeed at that exact location at the date and time that neighbors heard loud machinery noises.

I have been called a "defender" of Barry Morphew, but I'm not enamored of the guy. I don't know him personally.

That being said, I am bewildered by the fact that so many people suspect him -- and use investigators' actions with respect to him as justification for doing so -- while at the same time seemingly ignore investigators' warning that nobody has been ruled in or out.
I think the timing of LE's statement is significant. The footage of the "impromptu2 interview by the guy who turned up near the Morphew home and spoke to BM has BM saying that he's been cleared. This was soon afterward followed by statements about BM - again saying that he was in clear. It was suspected that these were being posted by close friends/relatives of BM.
What LE has done in making this public statement is put paid to the rumors that BM has been found innocent and eliminated from LE investigations. Why would he say that when it's clearly not the case?

Another reg flag (just my opinion) is the fact that LE - early in the investigation - responded to a question about whether BM was cooperating with police, with words to the effect that yes, he had been and they hoped he would continue to do so.
That is a qualifying comment. He didn't make an initial statement when asked to and then proceeded to produce a video appeal, filmed by a relative, without the input or advice of LE.

IMO BM murdered SM before Mother's Day and it was probably premeditated. He has tried to control the narrative of the investigation as much as he can and has already been caught out by lying.

The one piece of this investigation that I keep coming back to is the bike and the odd way everyone is behaving it. Very early on in the investigation TN asked the public to ask the Sherrif, “What condition was the bike was found in”. This is definitely a very odd question to ask the public to ask LE.
LE have never officially confirmed that they found the bike which is not normal. SM apparently goes missing on a bike ride. The bike is found, typically LE will put out a statement stating the bike was found.
In the TD interview BM starts to describe how the bike was lying on the ground and he checks himself. Why?

Why will LE not confirm they found the bike?
Why does TN want the public to put pressure on LE to confirm?
Why does BM apparently ‘slip up’ and ‘cover up’ when telling TD about the bike.
That bike holds some deep secrets and I am not smart enough to put it together.
I don't doubt that the "discussion" between BM and TN offered up some precious nuggets of information to LE, not least of which seemed to be BM knowing exactly what position the bike was in when it was found; information only the person/s who placed it there would know that if the accident/abduction was concocted.
BM disparaged LE early on, saying that they had contaminated evidence (fingerprints all over the bicycle) and ignored other evidence. How does he know all this? Has LE really shared this info with him? We don't know the answer to that: IMO I doubt that they have.
BM also stated that LE had found (a) personal item belonging to SM and wouldn't elaborate further on what it was.
Perhaps they are waiting for BM to make another verbal slip-up, revealing more of what he knows when LE has yet to release the same information publicly or/and to close family.

Well I think tourism is about shot now. LE has been pretty tight lipped-while I doubt they would issue a warning, I do believe Spezze’s statement would have been carefully worded to ask all to be aware of their surroundings and report anything amiss.

BM also stated that LE had found (a) personal item belonging to SM and wouldn't elaborate further on what it was.
Perhaps they are waiting for BM to make another verbal slip-up, revealing more of what he knows when LE has yet to release the same information publicly or/and to close family.

Not to split hairs but the sheriff in his press conference said they found items (plural ) around county road 225 and highway 50 .... around the 2:10 mark..... for some reason everyone says personal item

Not to split hairs but the sheriff in his press conference said they found items (plural ) around county road 225 and highway 50 .... around the 2:10 mark..... for some reason everyone says personal item

[

Earlier post by JnRyan post #287 thread 20...

More of our conflicting info. The sheriff stated "items" plural - I definitely heard that in the video. Lauren Scharf in her most recent video asked (CBI spokesperson?) if it was an "item", singular or "items", plural. The response she got was that it was definitely "item" singular. Lauren also noted that it was interesting that the CBI is correcting info previously stated by the sheriff.

Please welcome our new verified lawyer lamlawindy.

Lamlawindy is a practicing lawyer in Indiana and can help us understand what is going on as far as Barry and Suzann's connection to the state. Also, lalamwindy used to be a prosecutor and is now a defense attorney so he can answer about 1.2 million questions we will have for him LOL

Please be polite, do not argue with a verified lawyer. You will not win. LOL

Thank you lalamwindy for being a part of Websleuths.

Tricia

I agree with you that it does sound odd. One point I'd like to make briefly here (I've made it more extensively on another post in the last few minutes) is that the woman (MB) reporting the noise said that it went on for around half an hour.
This was after she woke up - we do not know - and neither will she - how long the noise was going on before she fully woke up. She reports that it made her sit bolt upright, but that does not mean that she woke up immediately on the noise starting. She woke up when she thought it started (the two are quite different and I explain in much more detail in my other post).
MB could well have been asleep for much longer than she realised before her brain registered that the noise was significant/atypical.
You are right! I didn't think about this possibilty. Maybe, she was already dreaming of some loud buster, but woke up later and only then became aware of the real noise.

You are right! I didn't think about this possibilty. Maybe, she was already dreaming of some loud buster, but woke up later and only then became aware of the real noise.

JMO
Yes that is a possibility. People can be hearing something in the background while sleeping and begin to dream about something that fits with the sound before they actually wake up.

Been there done that. I had to replace an alarm clock because I realized I was dreaming about trains and other similar things that made a similar sound to my alarm clock.
I would wake up late and realize my dream I was having matched what I was hearing.

My suspicions of BM have a heck of a lot more to do with his own actions (and lack thereof) than anything the CCSO has said or done.
But searching the house and digging up HIS job site, seizing his phone and his truck, yeah... that's certainly not something to ignore either.

This relates to other points she made which could be readily corroborated (or otherwise) by LE.
She reported visiting the building site the next day to ask the workers whether they left machinery keys on site and was told that they sometimes did, but that they were hidden out of sight. She was being a watchful neighbor, concerned about what was going on at the construction site out-of-hours, and she was interviewed by police after reporting this.

So, I wonder. The next day after the disturbed night's sleep was Mother's Day. WHY are there workers at the building site on Sunday??

Okay, but Sunday is no official working day (building inspections).
No it's not an "official" working day, but when someone is contracted to do a job (like BM was) and there's a timeline and schedule and other people starting their work depends on you getting your part of the work completed first, and the schedule slips, time has to be made up to keep the project on schedule. It requires being flexible to meet the scheduling requirements and working even on days when it's not an "official working day." It happens in construction, and it happens in other industries too.

IMO

Last edited:
BBM:

Aha!

Looks like ID has pulled their (erroneous) report from Twitter.
Guess they didn't have any inside sources after all.

Not that I ever actually thought they did.

When MSM news sources get their info wrong, they should issue corrections, not simply delete their tweets and hope nobody notices.

Good on LS for calling them out on it, too!

I think we'd all love to know who their "sources" were of the (false) report that BM was cleared by LE.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members