Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@10ofRods, I’m thinking there was some kind of job in Denver that BM tried to use for his alibi. Is he stupid enough to throw that out if it didn’t exist? I actually think he went to Denver after much running around to conceal evidence and plant false clues. I believe he did all that Saturday night and hot dogged it to Denver Sunday morning. Later in the day he introduced his false bike ride narrative after his daughters couldn’t reach their mother on Mother’s Day. I think for whatever reason LE smelled a rat very early. Just because BM might have been in Denver most of the day on Sunday it certainly didn't rule him out as a suspect because no one actually knows when SM disappeared.

Great questions. I am very doubtful there was an actual job (since the nephew, early on, said it was "training" and AFAIK it didn't change to "job" until the Fire Chief blew the training alibi).

Yes, I think he's that panicked/desperate/stupid at the time he threw that out.

I do think he went to Denver. Although - let me ask you - do you think it's enough for an arrest warrant if LE can prove definitively that he did not? I'd really like to know what your experience says about that one.

I think he did what he did and took off for Denver - but probably not at 5 am. Still, LE probably won't arrest him for getting the time wrong - they need more.

All of us want to know what LE saw/smelled that day - but of course, it's only good policy that they don't tell us.

As the time frame narrows (LE knows when her last text with her friend was), the suspect is under ever more suspicion.

Let's say it's 6-7 pm on May 9.

With unanswered phone calls from daughters starting around 8 am on Sunday (hence BM's story that he left earlier than that). And no one calls their mother earlier than that on mothers day - more likely to be 9 (but they knew she had church) so 10...

12-16 hours for someone to hide their trail.

We learned about the Denver landscape project directly from BM during his conversation with YT blogger TD.

BM did not confirm if he was alone setting up the job, only that he had to work on Sunday because he was the owner (which in itself is so contrary)!

I recall he said his crew was coming in that night to begin work on Monday.
BM did not say where the crew was coming from.

If BM was truly working to set up a project on Sunday, it would be very unusual to be working alone. The industry typically refers to "setting up" a project as mobilization. During this process, job equipment is transported to the site, and possibly a job shack. Materials are delivered and stored, and porta-toilet also delivered.

I've been highly suspicious of BM setting up any job on Sunday -- let alone during a global pandemic when only essential work was allowed.

IMO, BM was probably alone because I think, even if he had a project, he advanced the work due to his circumstances.

Setting up a job alone on Sunday would be another red flag for authorities.

MOO
Nope, I was wrong, my apologies! BM said his workers were expected Sunday night. I'm thinking that my thoughts were that it was , lol. So again, you were right. :)
Whether he was telling the truth is another story.

Great questions. I am very doubtful there was an actual job (since the nephew, early on, said it was "training" and AFAIK it didn't change to "job" until the Fire Chief blew the training alibi).

Yes, I think he's that panicked/desperate/stupid at the time he threw that out.

I do think he went to Denver. Although - let me ask you - do you think it's enough for an arrest warrant if LE can prove definitively that he did not? I'd really like to know what your experience says about that one.

I think he did what he did and took off for Denver - but probably not at 5 am. Still, LE probably won't arrest him for getting the time wrong - they need more.

All of us want to know what LE saw/smelled that day - but of course, it's only good policy that they don't tell us.

As the time frame narrows (LE knows when her last text with her friend was), the suspect is under ever more suspicion.

Let's say it's 6-7 pm on May 9.

With unanswered phone calls from daughters starting around 8 am on Sunday (hence BM's story that he left earlier than that). And no one calls their mother earlier than that on mothers day - more likely to be 9 (but they knew she had church) so 10...

12-16 hours for someone to hide their trail.
RBBM
No, a bad alibi alone would not be enough for an arrest. There is often a secondary reason when someone presents a false alibi. It’s usually because they were doing something they shouldn’t have been doing.
Even if they couldn’t find a secondary reason for the lie, LE would still definitely need more PC before an arrest warrant would be issued.

SBM & BBM. I’m assuming SM and BM had a signed lease-to-own contract agreement on the Indiana home. If so, I don’t think a seller can just change their mind and break the contract without facing some major legal ramifications. Does anyone know? From what I’ve read, it’s not an easy thing to do. MOO

ETA My post wasn’t clear. I’m responding to speculation about BM’s motive to kill his wife. I don’t think Suzanne would have been able to stop the sale of the Indiana house. MOO
It depends on if they had gone into contract or not. I don't think we have that info.
If they had, yes, the buyer can sue the seller.
However, BM does have temporary guardianship of SM, including her assets.
I believe 9/1/20 is the date of the formal guardianship hearing.

I wonder why it was so hard for BM to tell TD that he left Suzanne sleeping that morning of mothers day at 5 AM. He certainly needed a big pause before he did NOT disclose this simple detail. And why not? Suzanne was safely sleeping in her bed right? Jmo

I've now had 3 go's at the PE Live video and I believe that by the host trying so hard not to directly insinuate or accuse BM of anything -- he fashioned the driveway scenario using more words than necessary. I believe the host calling this "the birth of the bike story," was his own way to place emphasis on the person he believes introduced the bike to what later became the SM missing story. **Actually, I think it was more of an interjection than an introduction. The host follows up the bike story several more times, using the note and TD's YT video interview, where BM is again at the center.

I'm also inclined to believe that the neighbor was talking to BM from nearby his property when she confirmed to him 1) no answer at the door, and 2) two vehicles parked in the driveway. I believe the language by the host suggests that BM immediately provided that SM was on a bike ride. I doubt BM made a request to check the garage for SM's bike since his sole purpose here was to put the notion of SM out on a bike ride in motion.

It was done, and BM breathed a sigh of relief.

MOO

ETA: **

Trying to catch up on the thread and car info. IMO they must have been family cars. It wouldn't be wise to go into someone's garage or property if investigating a missing person. What if it were a robbery, anything could have been going on if strange vehicles were there. I wouldn't do it :) I would alert the police.

I wonder why it was so hard for BM to tell TD that he left Suzanne sleeping that morning of mothers day at 5 AM. He certainly needed a big pause before he did NOT disclose this simple detail. And why not? Suzanne was safely sleeping in her bed right? Jmo

Because he has been telling so many lies that at that precise moment in time, he couldn’t remember what he had said so needed to pause and think. I can see the cogs turning in that big clumsy brain of his, thinking about what he had said so far with reference to when he last saw her. He chose to say silent so he didn’t incriminate himself.

With most liars, their lies eventually catch up with them and I think that’s exactly what is happening right now. Tick tock Barry...

Yes I think both of those are correct! I remember thinking that was a huge red flag - and that was before Mike & Chris pointed out all the red flags last night! This is so frustrating because just when I’m thinking this was not premeditated in advance but an argument gone wrong then something else comes back up that makes it seem like it was a devious plan. Not that it really matters because if it is proven that Suzanne’s life was taken by her husband who then hid her body, concealed evidence, lied to LE, CBI & FBI, their children and her family then he’s going down either way! There is no death penalty in Colorado.

Tbh, if the cameras did not work for a long time, say, since SM’s cancer treatment, I would rather suspect BM of the need to bring in “friends” into the house when SM was away unbeknownst to her than of planning SM’s disappearance. I think BM was weighing in SM’s possible death when she got ill, but not sure he planned to kill her at that time.

What a profound post!
I hope those relationships aren't fractured beyond repair.

Yes. The girls’ situation is very uneasy, they have one remaining parent, and each other. I feel very sorry for them.
What I was really hoping for was an indication as to a motive on Barry's part; nothing was provided on that front.

Still -- as long as their source bears out -- the Profiling Evil hosts did something that neither Lauren Scharf nor Tyson Draper have been able to do: they got something out of the Moorman side of the family. As @Seattle1 mentioned, the Profiling Evil hosts have "a sound marketing plan for a channel with a 'for-profit business plan.'" If anything will get them YouTube memberships, this kind of hard work certainly will do so.
(Snipped )

To compare with the two recent Coloradan annihilators, what they do immediately after murders tells a lot about motives. CW sends photo of flowers to NK (romance); PF’ s mom and sister move for guardianship of his daughter (desire for sole ownership of the child mixed with certain paranoia).

The first thing Barry did was move for guardianship of SM in Indiana and also requested to sell jointly owned real estate in Indiana on her behalf.

My intuition tells me the main motive of BM will be greed, probably, mixed with unwillingness to go through costly, lengthy, divorce.

There are probably lots of other people somehow involved on the sides, and high drama, but IMO, it is less of control and more of utilitarian approach to life and people, well, peaking around his “critical age”, too,

firstly, barry says he thinks if the lion took her it would have gone "this way" or "that way." i would think if he was responsible, her body is probably in the opposite of those 2 directions. eta: (he points in one of those same 2 directions to point towards denver. then he seems to point those same 2 directions again when he is telling tyson about the 200 searches he did with his "school friends."

secondly, when TD asks about the bike, and he says "it was on the ground" he makes a rolling down gesture with his hands. i guess that's not unreasonable, but it's interesting that he did that.

he also gets really tripped up by the question, "how long before you noticed she was gone?" he really fumbles for words, after an "uh..." just noting.

He also seems way to calm and matter of fact with very little emotion, He may be medicated, beta blockers or similar.

I've posted this before, SM radiates the calm both before and after a BM storm. Sadly, I think we've all known at least one woman like this where we were left scratching our heads. Seriously, I want nothing more than for SM to be recovered, and BM exonerated for the sake of SM's daughters. My gut still tells me different. :( MOO

"Seriously, I want nothing more than for SM to be recovered, and BM exonerated for the sake of SM's daughters. My gut still tells me different. :("

I'm almost positive that you spoke for every one of us.

I would be interested to learn why the home CCTV stopped working, i hope LE have examined it and determined the cause. It could be a genuine fault with the system or it could be something that was done or broken manually.

He also seems way to calm and matter of fact with very little emotion, He may be medicated, beta blockers or similar.

If medicated, beta blockers or especially “similar”, it was probably a mistake to refuse a polygraph. Anti-anxiety drugs usually invalidate the results of polygraphs; not sure that they would be admissible in court, either. However, he’d show his willingness to cooperate, etc...

If medicated, beta blockers or especially “similar”, it was probably a mistake to refuse a polygraph. Anti-anxiety drugs usually invalidate the results of polygraphs; not sure that they would be admissible in court, either. However, he’d show his willingness to cooperate, etc...
I wonder how steroids or HGH would affect a polygraph?

What happens if a writer’s contract stipulates payment per line, is obvious from the books by Victor Hugo. I assume YouTubers utilize the same principle, but, alas, without Hugo’s talent.
I have a stack of important, but boring, books, to read while listening to podcasts or watching YouTube.
YouTube content providers don't get to set any terms, Google does that. What the YouTube peeps do is follow the rules while chasing the various metrics that provide income. views, likes, subscriptions , content,getting viewers to tune in and then watch the whole program, my guess would be that they continue with the SM case but start looking at other cases also. Seems to me there currently is not enough news with SM case to drive enough frequent content for the brand PE.

I wonder how steroids or HGH would affect a polygraph?

About HCG, I honestly don’t know. About steroids - they are major destabilizers of the mood, up to mania, so first, I won’t take polygraph on steroids, and second, won’t expect anything good from the results.

Among books written by Jane Pauley, there is one about her mania. She had hives and was put on steroids. They caused mania. Jane probably had some premorbid features (talent!), but steroids caused loss of functioning and hospitalization.

Yes. The girls’ situation is very uneasy, they have one remaining parent, and each other. I feel very sorry for them.

(Snipped )

To compare with the two recent Coloradan annihilators, what they do immediately after murders tells a lot about motives. CW sends photo of flowers to NK (romance); PF’ s mom and sister move for guardianship of his daughter (desire for sole ownership of the child mixed with certain paranoia).

The first thing Barry did was move for guardianship of SM in Indiana and also requested to sell jointly owned real estate in Indiana on her behalf.

My intuition tells me the main motive of BM will be greed, probably, mixed with unwillingness to go through costly, lengthy, divorce.

There are probably lots of other people somehow involved on the sides, and high drama, but IMO, it is less of control and more of utilitarian approach to life and people, well, peaking around his “critical age”, too,

That is a very perceptive observation, and you may be correct. I would note, however, that the guardianship was necessary to complete the sale of the Indiana property; failure to close would've rendered him in breach of contract.

And I'm glad that juries aren't made up of defense lawyers.

LOL! On that, I agree! Juries have to use their common sense in putting everything together, and a lot of attorneys -- even if excellent at their jobs -- lack common sense. I'm not sure if the "median" attorney has less common sense than the "median" U.S. citizen, but I wouldn't be shocked if this was so.

There are 2 more important reason as to why attorneys are often excused from jury service:

1. Judges will ask a jury panel if the prospective jurors know the prosecutor or defense attorney or anybody in the local police force personally. Oftentimes, a defense attorney will know at least some of the trial participants personally. It may be prudent for an attorney on the panel to be excused from serving if keeping him/her on would give even the appearance of favoring the state (to get into the prosecutor's good graces) or defense (to get into a colleague's good graces).

2. Research on juries has shown that they will give a lot of deference to attorney jury members. This is problematic because the point of a jury is to return a unanimous verdict. Can a verdict be truly "unanimous" if members deferred to one member?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot