Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but since that someone would have to be BM (since he says he saw her the following morning), I was speculating that it seems less likely that he would pull a gun or grab a phone or something while she's in the middle of an online conversation with a friend. If it were an argument that escalated, she likely would have indicated something to her friend..... and if it were a planned ambush, why do it while she's conversing on-line? Again, anything is possible, I was only stating an opinion and what I think is more probable (which cutting the internet feed makes more sense, IMO) ....MOO, JMO
bbm
Well that just creeps the heck out of me.

IF this happened, she'd put down her phone and go to check their modem.
Was she ambushed ? :(
Imo

Interesting. If they spoke directly to the anonymous family member, then I wonder if (a) Lauren did as well in conjunction with them, (b) Lauren spoke to the same person separately, or (c) Lauren spoke to a different anonymous family member. The lack of attribution on Lauren's part makes me think that it's either (b) or (c). Lauren seems to view citizen journalists and YouTubers as colleagues, so it would seem to be out of character for her to interview the
anonymous family member along with Profiling Evil and then omit any mention of it in her write-up.

From Lauren Scharf in response to viewer questions:

...family member said they spoke with a CBI Agent who visited them in Indiana....

The Sheriff said I cannot offer any information in regards to case-specific questions. That was ALL.

I understand that response and figured that would be his response since it is an open investigation.

The person who gave me the information in the article was a reliable source and has worked very closely with the case. This will be my last response to this as I am trying to get more answers as to what happened to Suzanne and hopefully get closure for her family.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LaurenScharfTV/posts/?ref=page_internal

ETA: It should be more than clear by now that if the Sheriff declines to comment, he is not confirming or denying. He is declining to offer any information in regards to case-specific questions as has been his practice from the beginning. This practice obviously includes GPS data. MOO

I meant to ask you all.... Did anyone else notice what BM told the family member about when her left on Sunday Morning?
Mike even read the quote from the paper and made certain he quoted what BM said correctly;
Barry told the family member : “He was the last person to see Suzanne ALIVE at 5am....
Unless LE told them she’s definitely dead and they found evidence to that effect, how else would BM know she’s dead? ... she’s still a missing person...
bbm
Great catch !

If I cut off my router, I don't have my wifi. It sounds like you may be in a hotspot area with more than your own subscriber wifi to connect to. I think Morphew's would suffer my fate -- no hotspot wifi in my area, and neighbor has dish network so no help there.
Hi Seattle (unfortunately PDX here) - we rely strictly on our cell phone provider as our internet is down often. So even though I may get a low signal from my cell provider I rely on them and Not the internet. My texts always get out even with a very low cell phone signal it’s consistent and reliable. I would think Suzanne and Barry did the same. So I am not inclined to think Suzanne’s text was cut off via a router

I listened, several times, to the special PE live and it was made clear that the family member(s) of SM contacted PE. I never heard Fox21 or LS mentioned during the entire live session.

I think it bears repeating that SM has a father, brothers, and sisters, both bio and step-siblings that she was close to. It's possible that one or more talked with PE and/or LS. It's possible that the family members elected a spokesperson to represent the lot. Or it could be one sibling going rogue.

The following day, SM reported her own story about BM's GPS not consistent with information BM gave to the police, citing unnamed family as her source. There were no details about the data discrepancy, or how it varied. She also featured a childhood friend of SM's and the story of how they battled cancer together. Another news agency, citing Fox21's report, contacted CCSO for comment on the information in the report, and the Sheriff declined to comment.

Not sure what you getting at. And why does any of this matter?

I found it odd that both Profiling Evil and Lauren broke similar stories involving an anonymous family member. If there are two family members who did not coordinate yet provided the same information to each news outlet, then it bolsters the credibility of the reported story. After all, the chances that two independent family members concocted the same story is pretty tiny.

I found it odd that both Profiling Evil and Lauren broke similar stories involving an anonymous family member. If there are two family members who did not coordinate yet provided the same information to each news outlet, then it bolsters the credibility of the reported story. After all, the chances that two independent family members concocted the same story is pretty tiny.
Concocted? Are you suggesting Suzannes family is making up stories.

Hi Seattle (unfortunately PDX here) - we rely strictly on our cell phone provider as our internet is down often. So even though I may get a low signal from my cell provider I rely on them and Not the internet. My texts always get out even with a very low cell phone signal it’s consistent and reliable. I would think Suzanne and Barry did the same. So I am not inclined to think Suzanne’s text was cut off via a router
We just went through a hurricane in Ardsley, NY and were without power for a week (which would be the same as having no router). We live in a hilly woodsy neighborhood and none of us could get any reception (Verizon Wireless). Was able to send/receive one or two texts every few hours if I was lucky. I even gave up trying connecting to the internet. So I believe this theory is very possible especially as they lived in such a remote area.

Last edited:
Some people that have been interviewed by MSM (including Profiling Evil) in this case have been willing to be identified and others have not. IIRC most of those who were identified by the MSM were friends or relatives of BLM and those who were not willing to be identified were friends or relatives of SM. IMO virtually all commenters here on WS have sided with and/or given more weight to the anonymous sources than the identified sources. IMO This is interesting because its the opposite of most cases. I wonder why that is the case here.

For me, I've always kind of dismissed the comments made by BM's friends because I think he presents a persona to the world, of a hail fellow well met, where he kibbitzes with people and talks about purely superficial things. I doubt he bares his soul to anyone. He talks about hunting and work and fire fighting, all the manly things he thinks make him some kind of alpha being. So it makes sense to me that all those guys from the fire fighters knew him only peripherally and on the surface he seems like a pleasant fellow. Any some of the stuff that has presented by others about the SM's disappearance comes via the lips of BM so I discount it all. And the fact that they were only recently in CO after so many years in IN means there aren't any real in-depth relationships he's forged.

I don't believe so because the date he was seen wet and shirtless was about the first of June. That's too long to be holding on to any weapon when he's subject to another search warrant at any time. By the time BM was seen wet and wild, I think his friends had gone home, and BM was growing weary of going through the motions of "searching" for SM. He couldn't stay home because his momma and children expected him to be out shaking the bushes and the trees. I think it's possible he tried to cross the creek which was running high and fast and he fell in. Happens all the time. BM was also too close to home to be disposing of a weapon-- given all the open spaces in Colorado.

I find it hard to believe a weapon was used in the disappearance of SM. At least not a gun. Guns are messy and require major cleanup of a crime scene. The home would have been a major crime scene even if someone cleaned up everything, missing cushions, missing bedding, missing carpets, etc. If a gun was used it was no where near the house. SM could have been with BM when that mysterious end to a texting interchange with SM's friend occurred and they could have been anywhere: in his truck, in her car, at home, standing at an overlook. I don't know how difficult it is to track the location of a person when they are texting.

PE has a great working relationship with Lauren and they have made very clear. My opinion is that one led the family member to the other, and/or was given permission to share the information with one another. They are working as a team for Suzanne, not against each other. Suzanne's family member(s) wished to speak, and keep Suzanne in the news, and ask for answers. I feel its very rude to question them, their intentions, or the intentions of those they chose to entrust. Barrys family member asking for answers from LE on something that made no sense to him is no different than Suzanne's family member doing the same. Except Suzanne's family remained anonymous and did not bash LE. Jmo.

I respectfully disagree. Questioning motives is one of the best ways to get to the truth. Exploring possible motives to fabricate is always something I do when I cross-examine a witness. It assists a judge or jury when determining witness credibility.

Moreover, many on WS have pointed out that Barry Morphew's statements can be considered self-serving & have cast doubt on his actions (or lack thereof). Per WS guidelines, Barry is considered a victim too because he's a family member and has not been named a suspect. If the motives of a spouse are fair game, then so should the motives of the anonymous family member(s)* who communicated with Profiling Evil and Lauren Scharf.

* Note that because they insist on anonymity, we cannot actually know that they are family members. I trust that Profiling Evil and Lauren Scharf wouldn't knowingly lie to their audience, but neither one explained how they determined that the anonymous persons actually were family members.

ITA - we don’t know what LE shared with the IN relatives but I bet they shared more with them than they did with the husband IMO
And I’m a huge fan of Lauren she’s done everything to keep this story in the news
JMO

Me too, she's just so darn likable!!

BTW, Lauren commented on her facebook page, that the information the family received- was given by the CBI.
Lauren Scharf
CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. — It has now been three months since a Chaffee County mother disappeared

Thanks for your input @debrat007. I agree that SM did not have an internet interruption of service when her communication with friend was abrupted.

We've learned from Reporters that there is no connectivity or limited cell phone signal from and around the Morphew residence located in Maysville, Co. Fox21's LS tells us she's had to drive about 5 miles to a higher elevation to pick up a cellular signal with limited connectivity using her Verizon phone service (reportedly the best if the only provider for Western Colorado).

During a recent Profiling Evil segment, we learned that the Morphews did not have a landline at their residence, and used their cell phones and their internet connection to communicate. I'm assuming the Morphews used their internet for wifi to facilitate communicating with the cell phone instruments-- especially if their connectivity was inadequate even for text messaging.

As the owner of a mountain home, I have similar issues where there is no cellular signal at my residence. I use an iPhone and depend on my internet connection to facilitate wifi-calling and iMessaging transmissions. If my iPhone goes off wifi, my phone reads "no service," and my texts (or imessages) do not transmit until I'm about 6 miles from home when suddenly my phone is exploding with alert sounds of incoming/outgoing activity.

MOO

We just went through a hurricane in Ardsley, NY and were without power for a week (which would be the same as having no router). We live in a hilly woodsy neighborhood and none of us could get any reception (Verizon Wireless). Was able to send/receive one or two texts every few hours if I was lucky. I even gave up trying connecting to the internet. So I believe this theory is very possible especially as they lived in such a remote area.
I’ve lived in Colorado over 20 years and my family is all in Houston. We learned during Hurricane Ike that text messages go into a queue like email and get delivered whenever cell service is down.

There were two cars in the drive & neither belonged to BM. I’m thinking this is significant. Possibly someone who helped him ?
Snipped for focus.
Significant? Yes. Very. IMO. If one of them was SM's. So, BM had to quickly come up with a story about why she wasn't home and had gone missing, though her car was there. He went for the "she must be on a bike ride" story on the fly IMO. He could have had a story about how a friend must have picked her up, or she must have gone hiking, or.. or... but he happened to pick the bike one out of thin air. To corroborate this story he randomly came up with to explain the two cars thing, he went and staged the bike accident IMO.
This would likely mean he was in the area when he called the neighbor, and not in Denver...I don't have this figured out yet.

I respectfully disagree. Questioning motives is one of the best ways to get to the truth. Exploring possible motives to fabricate is always something I do when I cross-examine a witness. It assists a judge or jury when determining witness credibility.

Moreover, many on WS have pointed out that Barry Morphew's statements can be considered self-serving & have cast doubt on his actions (or lack thereof). Per WS guidelines, Barry is considered a victim too because he's a family member and has not been named a suspect. If the motives of a spouse are fair game, then so should the motives of the anonymous family member(s)* who communicated with Profiling Evil and Lauren Scharf.

* Note that because they insist on anonymity, we cannot actually know that they are family members. I trust that Profiling Evil and Lauren Scharf wouldn't knowingly lie to their audience, but neither one explained how they determined that the anonymous persons actually were family members.

First, this is a discussion forum, not a courtroom. We are not the jury. Nor are we attorneys who "cross-examine" each other.

Second, it is against TOS to sleuth certain named and unnamed persons on WS. Suzannes family falls into this category. Tricia gave permission very early in this case for Barry to be discussed. Fair or unfair, thats TOS.

Finally, the purpose here is to find Suzanne. The majority of us are following LE's lead. That lead has strongly leaned on one person. Awhile back you were asked and answered that you cannot think outside of the realm of a defense attorney. Thats fine. But as a prosecutor, if you could only allow yourself to think like a prosecutor then you likely would have been in agreement with the majority. Jmho.

For me, I've always kind of dismissed the comments made by BM's friends because I think he presents a persona to the world, of a hail fellow well met, where he kibbitzes with people and talks about purely superficial things. I doubt he bares his soul to anyone. He talks about hunting and work and fire fighting, all the manly things he thinks make him some kind of alpha being. So it makes sense to me that all those guys from the fire fighters knew him only peripherally and on the surface he seems like a pleasant fellow. Any some of the stuff that has presented by others about the SM's disappearance comes via the lips of BM so I discount it all. And the fact that they were only recently in CO after so many years in IN means there aren't any real in-depth relationships he's forged.

I find it hard to believe a weapon was used in the disappearance of SM. At least not a gun. Guns are messy and require major cleanup of a crime scene. The home would have been a major crime scene even if someone cleaned up everything, missing cushions, missing bedding, missing carpets, etc. If a gun was used it was no where near the house. SM could have been with BM when that mysterious end to a texting interchange with SM's friend occurred and they could have been anywhere: in his truck, in her car, at home, standing at an overlook. I don't know how difficult it is to track the location of a person when they are texting.
bbm
Good post. ^^^

Re. the bolded : I never considered they could have been out by a cliff, river, or near a work site while she was texting.
Entirely possible, though.
Which is why agencies such as the fbi and cbi were called in.
A lot of digital data to be scoured !
Imo.

bbm
Someone upthread had suggested a sudden action that ended the text.

Speculation :
Either Suzanne was suddenly unable to continue or the phone was knocked from her hand ?

A violent blow to the head (texting suddenly stops !) and a moment later the texting continued, but with the change in style ?

As in someone (let's say a random perp although LE doesn't think this happened so why should we ?) struck her and then realized too late that she was texting and hurried to "finish the conversation " ?
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member