Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it was premeditated. It is pretty hard to think of every little aspect. Es specially now in the digital age. Jmo
Very true. I’m on this fence as to premeditated or spontaneous. If indeed the camping trip was planned by BM, then that is suspicious and goes toward premeditated.

However, something got LE’s attention toward BM very early on. That makes me think, spontaneous and hastily trying to create a quick narrative. I truly have no idea, but I hope SM is found soon!

I considered this too because of the recent information we've received through PE and Lauren. I wonder if they have given up searching?
JMO

I hope LE hasn’t quit searching. That said, they maybe out of leads regarding where she is. The electronic data can help, but that’s tricky too, depending on cars being switched, etc.

I just finished watching Gannon Stauch’s Memorial service broadcast. Today would be an excellent day for an arrest, body or no body! MOO

Barry, where’s Suzanne?

As a follow on to this, if someone wanted to stage and sell the bike crash theory, wouldn't they also INTEND for the body to be found in the river to bring closure to law enforcement and the family? That river looked swift enough in the TD video to easily pin an object under rocks and such and maybe LE couldn't find it.
The condition of the body would have to be consistent with injuries suffered in a bike accident, and perhaps that was not the case.

I understand the reason for the Barry Morphew exception; there would be very little discussion without it. I also understand why there are rules for protecting family members.

That being said -- as an attorney* -- the insistence of anonymity is troublesome when a serious accusation occurs: there is no penalty if the person is untruthful. As I've stated in previous posts, the lack of anonymity -- and the willingness to risk possible civil or criminal liability -- is one factor (though courts have held that it is an important one) in determining how much weight to give a statement. While there may be valid reasons for the Moorman family member to want anonymity, that very anonymity also can affect the weight to give the statement.

As to Profiling Evil and Lauren Scharf having no obligation to the public regarding vetting of sources: you are correct. While they have the right to not inform the public about their methods of vetting sources, the public also has no obligation to simply take a media organization at its word without questioning certain aspects of the reporting.

* I would ask any poster (this is not directed at you, @sillybilly) who is intending to respond with the trite "This is a message board, not a court," to please refrain from doing so: I'm posting from a criminal law perspective because that's what I do for a living. I understand that not everyone is considering this case from a legal viewpoint. If you do not want to hear a legal viewpoint, kindly keep scrolling ;).

I am considering this case from a legal standpoint. We have first amendment rights to discuss reports of media, including statements by anonymous sources. And the media has a first amendment freedom of the press.

You may consider it “trite” to state that this is not a courtroom. It’s a message board. I disagree. What happens in a court of law is crucial. No anonymous statement would be evidence in court.

But we have the right to discuss this information and give it whatever weight we would like. No one here is deciding a POI’s fate. If the media is spreading false information or wrongly targeting an innocent person, they can be sued.

In the meantime, we are going to continue to discuss things that would make many criminal defense attorneys squirm.

1. I'd be happy to help but -- considering I only do criminal defense -- I hope you never require my services! :)

Hmmm...can you explain #2 with specifics as to what that reason may be? I mean, if the person genuinely thinks, "Barry will kidnap me if I'm not anonymous," that would certainly be a valid reason to seek anonymity. If it's just, "I want to damage Barry but I don't want it traced back to me," then it wouldn't.

Access to two vulnerable young women, one who is still a minor, would likely be a key reason for not wanting to publicly question BM.

Thanks for the correction and I went back to check because I could have sworn I read an article that talked about a person running too, and I found the article and now I agree with you that she was likely talking only about the equipment running even though this article added a part about a person too. I bolded that part below. I agree with you that I think she was only referring to the equipment. JMO

" "At the very first I thought it was a truck or something maybe parked in my driveway or something, but no, it kept running and coming from the same direction over there, and I had been hearing all of this noise for quite a while,” Mary Branson told the news station.

The interview suggests that Branson also believes she may have heard a person.

“I thought it sounded like one of them running and I sat up in bed and said, ‘it is one of them, what’s going on, this time of night?
That’s ridiculous.’ And I thought maybe they had orders to move it or something, so I laid there listening and it kept going and going and going for about a half an hour.”

When Branson eventually decided investigate the noise, she stopped hearing it. "

Colorado woman woken from sleep by loud noises, sounds of ‘running’ at construction site that was focus of Suzanne Morphew search — the night before she went missing: Report
I sure wonder if it was one of those truck cement mixers. Maybe left a little cement there as a red herring, and took off spinning with the real prize. Could they possibly have dumped a load of cement somewhere and rapidly covered it up? Or at some unmanned dump where no one would notice the dumping of surplus cement? He/They basically had most of the day to get that IMO spinning load pretty far away.

I’d pronounce it only the first way. Everything else would be like using a fork in Chinese restaurant. Comfortable, but not interesting.

Just for fun, no spanish speaking person would pronounce it Sa lee duh unless they were talking with other English speakers!

That's the Americanized version of how to pronounce Spanish.

It would be: Sah-lee-dah.

But yeah, I have been pronouncing it Suh-lee-duh. Suh-lie-duh seems weird!

Hmmmm, could very well be a jewelry item. I will admit I am a lover of all things shiny and Suzanne's ring was gorgeous <and looked very expensive>.

Wouldn't it be great if 'someone' wanted that ring to sell, trade, etc. and removed it with hopes of recouping the $$$ in the future and LE has their hands on it now???? :D
IF the ring is the personal item found... what IF... he convinced her to “go look at something” spontaneously - maybe the NEW lot (he recently purchased)...
BUT when he explains HIS plans ... she gets upset.
Maybe she threw it out the window in anger? Maybe the “argument” escalated while they were out and about?
Maybe it was “premeditated“ to get her out of the house that evening without “their” phones ... maybe he suggested a romantic rendezvous somewhere down a dark road hidden by trees? Maybe they stopped off that evening at one of those two places - LE was distributing flyers? Places that BM failed to mention ...
After listening to PE, I’m convinced I’m hypothesizing rather than speculating - either way I can’t stop trying to figure it out. PE basically said the SAME things most of us have discussed since the beginning of all of this ... I have little hope left anymore that we are wrong about our speculations concerning BM.

I sure wonder if it was one of those truck cement mixers. Maybe left a little cement there as a red herring, and took off spinning with the real prize. Could they possibly have dumped a load of cement somewhere and rapidly covered it up? Or at some unmanned dump where no one would notice the dumping of surplus cement? He/They basically had most of the day to get that IMO spinning load pretty far away.

Encasing a body/body parts worked for a while in the Guillen case. :(

Does anyone else remember, from that PE site a few days ago.... They were discussing having enough probable cause to get a search warrant for the house. One of the guys said that IHO if LE knew about the cessation of the text messages on Saturday evening, and then the supposedly leaving with her in bed at 5 am, and no further texts to the friend on Sunday morning, that would provide enough probable cause for a search warrant of the house. Maybe I am using the wrong term "=probable cause", whatever the terminology would be to secure a search warrant for the house. They were opining that LE can't just go say hey, we want to look inside.

Last edited:
The 'Oh Suzanne' comment bothers me a little - ok, a lot - I am still trying to keep an open mind but that is definitely getting much harder! We all use the word Oh, its just one of those words isn't it? Anyway I looked at what it meant (silly, I know:rolleyes:) anyway, I found some of it interesting. Generally its used as a reaction to show various feelings such annoyance, sadness, surprise, excitement or disappointment - it can also be deemed as passive-aggressive, it can be used to 'dismiss' or let someone know they're 'in trouble' or can be used to express that someone doesn't care about what is being said.

for me - I find the 'Oh Suzanne' comment even more worrying now as I can picture BM experiencing all of the above - annoyed at something and then sad at his reaction to whatever annoyed him, then surprised that LE are acting quickly, then disappointed that LE don't believe him etc ...... just my thoughts and all MOO.
Now you can maybe see why I didnt agree with any comparison to how Chris Jeffries was treated. This info has been out there for some time, and it's just one very part of the picture that has been building up. JMO.

Edit - hope this doesnt sound snarky, not intended to

You disregard the fact, she wanted 20 more years!
It was 2017 that she said she wanted 20 more years. Things change, people change. A move can make or break a relationship sometimes, just like building a house together. Then, another bout with cancer- that is quite a test in and of itself.
We just don’t know what was going on behind closed doors, but I did notice that she did not post pictures of BM in the last two years on her FB page, why did she stop? Something seemed to change after 2017 IMO...

Now you can maybe see why I didnt agree with any comparison to how Chris Jeffries was treated. This info has been out there for some time, and it's just one very part of the picture that has been building up. JMO.

Edit - hope this doesnt sound snarky, not intended to

:) I appreciate other peoples point of view, written/typed word can be misread - I am defo guilty of misreading at times, I didn't see it as snarky - but thanks for clarifying, I also do understand where you were coming from.

How about if it the camping trip was planned by BM as a last chance effort to work on their marriage, giving them an opportunity to be alone for a while, and things went awry?
I would think it would be the other way around? BM doesn’t strike me as the sensitive, let’s go to therapy or let’s work it out guy. He’s more of the my way or the highway type if we go by rumors and family statements. SM being the docile, sweet, church-going mother and wife does more to me?

Last edited:
As a follow on to this, if someone wanted to stage and sell the bike crash theory, wouldn't they also INTEND for the body to be found in the river to bring closure to law enforcement and the family? That river looked swift enough in the TD video to easily pin an object under rocks and such and maybe LE couldn't find it.

BBM for focus
I agree with your thoughts regarding better selling the bike crash theory, but I think that would depend on how the killer murdered her. It would be hard to explain strangulation marks or a gunshot wound if it was staged as a cycling accident. Manner of death may be one reason her body won’t be found. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader