Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
there is lots of "buddy" talk. i won't name the buddy, but you can find some interesting stuff on his sm, in his own words, no less. PE called for an interview with the buddy, and even bm himself keeps bringing up his buddy. why?
I know about all that social media stuff, but I was asking specifically how the investigation so far, may lend any credence to that direction.

Can we discuss reasons a person might not want their voice recorded or his face in the news.? <modsnip>
Recognition. I have always believed if LE put a family photo out that more tips would come in. I have read in many places where people have recognized him only once seeing this story (not by name alone). That being said though, I think LE knows exactly what they are doing, and it has zero to do with covering up or framing anyone. If he has been interrogated 3 times/30 hours, he has likely been recorded. Jmho

Like others have referenced, I can’t help but feel that BM’s desire to speak out was, at least partly, to directly address some of the the public criticisms put forth by the family. If LE set those up, he tried to knock them down.

I guess this was attempted by saying that lie detector tests were never refused (by him, at least) and that any GPS inconsistencies were simply a time confusion due to “just” learning of her disappearance. I wonder if “just” there holds the same loose definition that “too soon” did, or just how quickly they caught this error...IMO.

now you have me scratching my head too on the vibration/noise.
What would vibrate the ground and windows?
gonna go search this out.

I think the type and age of the windows that are rattling might be a consideration; old aluminum vs. newer vinyl?

I used to live on a well traveled street and a heavy truck going by could cause the house to vibrate and the windows to rattle, which in my case were wood windows with aluminum storm windows over them.

MOO

Like others have referenced, I can’t help but feel that BM’s desire to speak out was, at least partly, to directly address some of the the public criticisms put forth by the family. If LE set those up, he tried to knock them down.

I guess this was attempted by saying that lie detector tests were never refused (by him, at least) and that any GPS inconsistencies were simply a time confusion due to “just” learning of her disappearance. I wonder if “just” there holds the same loose definition that “too soon” did, or just how quickly they caught this error...IMO.

I agree. IMO, I believe his interview with LS was a direct result of the anonymous family member giving statements about him. If it was their strategy to smoke him out into making a public statement, then it worked. I’m assuming her side is no longer speaking to his side. I also don’t think he said anything that he hasn’t said to LE but it’s new to the public and I’m sure her family wants to keep her name out there and active.

If the interview was 30 minutes, I would like for LS to consider releasing the entire transcript. It’s also possible she released what she thought was relevant or that’s all he approved of the conversation. Not sure how that works with reporters.

I think this ends up being premeditated with financial motive by two men who had a good plan but were not particularly tech savvy.

If true (and I’m beginning to lean in this direction), that opens up the timeline for disappearing a body. BM could be on his way to Denver at 5 am while someone else takes care of details elsewhere.

I’ve also got some different ideas for motive...

JMO MOO

I think the type and age of the windows that are rattling might be a consideration; old aluminum vs. newer vinyl?

I used to live on a well traveled street and a heavy truck going by could cause the house to vibrate and the windows to rattle, which in my case were wood windows with aluminum storm windows over them.

MOO

Your post is another reason why I seriously doubt the neighbors account. I’m not sure how spread out houses are but did anyone else hear the samething? I still go back to what an absurd risk to take to cover up a murder, using construction equipment on a job site overnight. IMO

BBM.

Ah, @Cassady, I see this as a slow and methodical takedown of BM. This is a criminal investigation, with all arrows pointing at B, his house, his cars, his phone, his worksite, his timeline, his alibi.

And darn it if he didn’t point the arrow at himself by admitting that the Sheriff thinks he did it?

Keep talking B. Loose lips sink ships.

imo

Don’t you just love it!! :p

But a retired Homicide detective, working with the CBI and the FBI?
I've seen this repeated a couple times - do you have a source for him being a homicide detective? The CC website says he worked narcotics and undercover operations in Denver:

[While with the Denver Police Department Spezze worked as a narcotics investigator in both street level investigations and complex investigations. As a sergeant Spezze gained a vast amount of experience in both community policing and problem oriented policing as well as running undercover operations in both Districts 1 and 6.]
About Sheriff John Spezze - Chaffee County Sheriff

I want more info about the bike. Did LE find the bike, or did a buddy find the bike and direct LE to its whereabouts? It would be so intriguing if BM was involved in the finding of the bike, all the way from Denver. That would certainly raise a hinky eyebrow.
The discovery that Suzanne was missing was clearly behind schedule. I think BM needed the discovery to take place prior to his arrival so LE would formulate a theory around an event that took place outside of their home while he was miles away. He wanted as little attention as possible paid to him or their home by LE.

I am beginning to wonder if a friend was unknowingly set up to help "discover" the bicycle.

MOO

Your post is another reason why I seriously doubt the neighbors account. I’m not sure how spread out houses are but did anyone else hear the samething? I still go back to what an absurd risk to take to cover up a murder, using construction equipment on a job site overnight. IMO
Looking back at FBI search photos of jobsite it looks like a home is very close.

Attachments

• 29C93DD6-CE4B-41A0-82AD-F97E6C1B4C85.jpeg
    29C93DD6-CE4B-41A0-82AD-F97E6C1B4C85.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 40
If true (and I’m beginning to lean in this direction), that opens up the timeline for disappearing a body. BM could be on his way to Denver at 5 am while someone else takes care of details elsewhere.

I’ve also got some different ideas for motive...

JMO MOO

I’d be curious what you’re thinking could be a motive other than or in addition to financial.

My financial speculation is simply because of BM’s real estate dealings in the several weeks.

Recognition. I have always believed if LE put a family photo out that more tips would come in. I have read in many places where people have recognized him only once seeing this story (not by name alone). That being said though, I think LE knows exactly what they are doing, and it has zero to do with covering up or framing anyone. If he has been interrogated 3 times/30 hours, he has likely been recorded. Jmho
And during those 30 hours of questioning, I want to know if he felt the need to be accompanied by an attorney?

I’d be curious what you’re thinking could be a motive other than or in addition to financial.

My financial speculation is simply because of BM’s real estate dealings in the several weeks.

If Suzanne's dad was ill, she may have wanted to move back home? There may have been disagreement and tension there, especially as the pandemic made seeing people and traveling more difficult. :( I don't know how sustainable the Colorado life was for them, or whether Suzanne felt alone or cut off from old church communities and the friends with which she raised her daughters. I keep thinking this pandemic has made many of us more eager to be close to our parents, especially if we have loving relationships.

The discovery that Suzanne was missing was clearly behind schedule. I think BM needed the discovery to take place prior to his arrival so LE would formulate a theory around an event that took place outside of their home while he was miles away. He wanted as little attention as possible paid to him or their home by LE.

I am beginning to wonder if a friend was unknowingly set up to help "discover" the bicycle.

MOO
Yes, absolutely. I think BM set this up, to give LE enough time to come to the "logical" (in his mind) conclusion that "the husband" was innocent. He's very much a coward. He wasn't confident facing LE until he felt that he was in the clear.
I wonder about his IQ. It seems like he visualized a fantasy of being received by backwoods officers with sympathy. I think he resides in a false reality.
I do feel a friend may have been used as an extension of himself to guide LE to his clues. If so, I think he was not aware that he was BM's pawn. BM's a user. Moo of course.

I think he might be planning for the future should there be a sudden need to downsize to a smaller, less expensive abode.

Yes, absolutely. I think BM set this up, to give LE enough time to come to the "logical" (in his mind) conclusion that "the husband" was innocent. He's very much a coward. He wasn't confident facing LE until he felt that he was in the clear.
I wonder about his IQ. It seems like he visualized a fantasy of being received by backwoods officers with sympathy. I think he resides in a false reality.
I do feel a friend may have been used as an extension of himself to guide LE to his clues. If so, I think he was not aware that he was BM's pawn. BM's a user. Moo of course.
Well, exactly! ;)

Whatever the reason was for starting up the heavy equipment, the reward was worth the risk to the operator. Maybe they had a story prepared in case law enforcement showed up to investigate and whatever they were doing was so important to their end game, they just had to take the risk.

I think we will be stunned when we see the wide array of evidence that has been collected.

MOO

there is lots of "buddy" talk. i won't name the buddy, but you can find some interesting stuff on his sm, in his own words, no less. PE called for an interview with the buddy, and even bm himself keeps bringing up his buddy. why?

I think the buddy was BM's first dupe--and it's his story about the bike that is key to BM's defense. This case would break open if the buddy stopped supporting BM.... which makes me wonder what that would take? Or what leverage BM has over buddy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18