Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Alethea . Good post. I was absolutely trying to make a different point. I don’t see you referring to that here so much.

I was speaking of the inconsistencies of for example how BM has been crucified for not speaking to the media and maintaining a low profile- as SM’s family has done the same and not been skewered. My post was to in a nutshell point out some double standards and biases that I’ve noticed here that I wish could be overcome or walls knocked down for thought-provoking, calm discussion.

What if we removed the excuses for SM’s family, friends etc and held them to the same standards we are BM? How do they measure up in the search efforts ? Media representation? LE presser appearance? Until just now, almost 4 months in- nada - and they required anonymity when speaking.

Where else had this been noted in MSM - high profile cases? I’m thinking recently- the cases we discuss- FD, GS,KB, CW, MT - I guess we can go back SP, Totmom- goes on and on. This is beyond the bizarre.
First of all, Suzanne's family was not anywhere near the area where Suzanne disappeared. Most of them hadn't even been in regular contact with her in the last two years. Secondly, Barry is the husband and was the last person to see her. So her family would not be held to the same standards as the spouse.

Third, they have already indicated that they did not want to reveal too much because they didn't want to hinder the investigation.

And fourth, since LE are treating the husband as a suspect it seems natural that he would be scrutinized more than the rest of the family.

In terms of searching, Suzanne's family did search the area when she first went missing. They wouldn't know where else to search without evidence that points to a specific location. Her body could be anywhere in Colorado.

Imo

Just to correct this item, BLM supposedly left at 5am on Sunday, not Saturday. This was supposedly to setup a job site where his crew would start on Monday AM. There is no indication that he had to run machinery and given the drive, he wouldn't have been in the area to run equipment until after 7am so its unlikely he would have run afoul of any noise ordinances even if he did run equipment. As others have mentioned, the job site was reportedly in the Denver area so more than 5 of the 10 hours would have been dedicated to driving round trip.
Just to correct this... We actually don't know when he left, so we don't know how many hours could've been dedicated to a round trip, if there was a round trip.

If you listen to AM, I don’t know how you can come away without believing he is being honest. He walks you through his thought process, and how he initially wrote off certain suspicious behavior as Barry being emotional.

He has no reason to lie about the CBI visiting him, or sharing certain information with him. In fact, up until then, AM was still on Barry’s side.

I think he was told certain things in order to change his mindset, and encourage him to share things that he wouldn’t otherwise share; things that he initially wrote off.

Comparing anything Barry says with what the family members of Suzanne says, is like comparing apples and oranges.

Low risk victims are almost never abducted from low crime areas. Then you have this bizarre alibi story, law enforcement executing three search warrants on two different locations, a bike that is obviously staged (something only someone close to the victim does), a man who refuses to make media appeals for his missing wife, and a guy who clearly knows he is a suspect because he’s blasting the investigation.

There’s a reason LE is looking at him, and it’s not because “it’s always the husband.” Warrants require evidence, and not mere suspicion.

He’s still throwing around this insane “mountain lion” theory, which is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. All due respect to Letecia Stauch, and “Eguardo.”

So I don’t believe a damn thing that comes out of this man’s mouth, and his word is not equal to the word of Suzanne’s family.

Not remotely, as I see it.
We need something stronger than a "like" button for this post. :)

I apologize if this was already asked awhile back during the discussions about the Guardianship, I can’t remember, but my question is, can a member(s) of Suzanne’s Family (Moorman) object to the Guardianship at the 9/1 hearing? Would they have needed to file something in writing to the court if planning to object, or can they just show up that day in court and appeal to the Judge? Has anyone heard/read if this is something the Moorman’s plan to do?

TIA.

Under IN law, the court is under no obligation to notify SM's family that a petition was filed or that a hearing has been scheduled.

The Moorman's first learned that BM filed a petition for GUA when contacted by media. They did not learn this from the court or the petitioner, BM.

IN law defines who is "entitled" to receive Notice and there is no provision for SM's family (except that it's possible SM's mother/father could be notified in the event her daughter could not be located). Since there's no provision to notify SM's family about the petition, IMO, that doesn't leave much guidance on how to object to a petition.

However, I think anybody off the street can object!

Maybe it's fashioned like a wedding in the movies where the officiant asks "if anyone can show just cause why this couple cannot lawfully be joined together in matrimony, let them speak now or forever hold their peace," and they just change matrimony to guardianship....:eek:

All kidding aside, I believe a written objection must be filed with the court prior to the hearing date. I think there might be more information 2-3 threads back.

MOO

Indiana Code Title 29. Probate § 29-3-9-6 | FindLaw

Just to correct this item, BLM supposedly left at 5am on Sunday, not Saturday. This was supposedly to setup a job site where his crew would start on Monday AM. There is no indication that he had to run machinery and given the drive, he wouldn't have been in the area to run equipment until after 7am so its unlikely he would have run afoul of any noise ordinances even if he did run equipment. As others have mentioned, the job site was reportedly in the Denver area so more than 5 of the 10 hours would have been dedicated to driving round trip.

Further clarification: the job site BM alluded to on Sunday was in Denver, not Salida. He says he went to Denver at 5 am on Sunday morning. He said he went to Denver more than once, with slightly different details each time.

The noise heard in the wee hours of the morning or late Saturday night was in Salida, not Denver.

The job site searched (under concrete) was the Salida site.

BM was about 2.5 hours from Denver proper, not counting time to buy coffee or gas if needed.

The noise complaint was from Saturday night/early Sunday morning - not after 7 am Sunday but the night before, by a neighbor next door to BM's work site.

I wonder when BM purchased his new gas guzzling F-350. Before or after SM's disappearance.

The truck would be a "business expense" as well as all of gasoline he purchased for it. I'll bet he used a company credit card every time he filled up. Apparently a F-350 gets about 11 mpg (on a good day). Then, reduce the mpg by the possible effect of mountain driving and/or hauling the flat bed trailer with the Bobcat.

It would be interesting to know when he last gassed up before SM's disappearance and where the gas gauge was when LE searched it.

Even more interesting if he gassed up on Saturday or Sunday and where. Gas stations are full of security cameras. What was his demeandor, pacing or calm? What time was it? Was anyone with him? What was he towing? Any interesting attachments brought along with the bobcat?

Under IN law, the court is under no obligation to notify SM's family that a petition was filed or that a hearing has been scheduled.

The Moorman's first learned that BM filed a petition for GUA when contacted by media. They did not learn this from the court or the petitioner, BM.

IN law defines who is "entitled" to receive Notice and there is no provision for SM's family (except that it's possible SM's mother/father could be notified in the event her daughter could not be located). Since there's no provision to notify SM's family about the petition, IMO, that doesn't leave much guidance on how to object to a petition.

However, I think anybody off the street can object!

Maybe it's fashioned like a wedding in the movies where the officiant asks "if anyone can show just cause why this couple cannot lawfully be joined together in matrimony, let them speak now or forever hold their peace," and they just change matrimony to guardianship....:eek:

All kidding aside, I believe a written objection must be filed with the court prior to the hearing date. I think there might be more information 2-3 threads back.

MOO

Indiana Code Title 29. Probate § 29-3-9-6 | FindLaw
Thanks for your informative response Seattle, very interesting! Thanks for providing the IN link also, I will read through it tonight, much appreciated!! :)

I'm inclined to think SM never left the property. If that is so, then her killer had from around 9PM (when SM's social media communication with her friend was abruptly ended) until daylight the next day (assuming he wanted to finish what he was doing under cover of darkness or with artificial lighting). That's about 8 hours.

I think SM's killer killed her with his own hands or with a close-proximity weapon (knife or cross-bow), and then concealed her remains on the Morphew property. He worked at that for a few hours, experienced some kind of unexpected interruption (disabled equipment - dead battery or failing hydraulics or broken bucket) that motivated him to visit the job site BM had been working nearby and to start up the heavy equipment for a half hour or so (as heard by the next door neighbor) to get what he needed to repair the disabled equipment back at the Morphew place, and then he returned to the Morphew home to finish what he'd started (fully concealing SM's remains).

It's even possible SM's killer had been prepping the site where he intended to conceal her remains before 9PM that day and that he explained it to SM by saying that he was improving or repairing some hardscaping on site instead.

I don't know how you explain the interrupted communication with the friend unless you consider that she was probably killed or otherwise disabled at that point.

And I don't know how you explain the odd half hour of heavy equipment operation noise heard by the neighbor at BM's job site unless you consider it in relation to SM's disappearance and presume that the operator was a person who knew that equipment was there and there was a reason he needed to use it at that late hour.

If SM's body has been concealed on their property, and LE have the same thoughts, but having evidence, a search warrant indicating this point, would even allow, removing cement, rocks, clearing the area, etc : the odd half hour of heavy equipment operation noise heard by the neighbor at BM's job site, as you suggest Diddian, may be related to returning to BM's home.

If we hear such an extensive search happens, then this has been acted on.
In Australia recently, such an extensive search occurred, with cement etc removed, even years later, when the property was sold.
MOO.

Last edited:
I'm inclined to think SM never left the property. If that is so, then her killer had from around 9PM (when SM's social media communication with her friend was abruptly ended) until daylight the next day (assuming he wanted to finish what he was doing under cover of darkness or with artificial lighting). That's about 8 hours.

I think SM's killer killed her with his own hands or with a close-proximity weapon (knife or cross-bow), and then concealed her remains on the Morphew property. He worked at that for a few hours, experienced some kind of unexpected interruption (disabled equipment - dead battery or failing hydraulics or broken bucket) that motivated him to visit the job site BM had been working nearby and to start up the heavy equipment for a half hour or so (as heard by the next door neighbor) to get what he needed to repair the disabled equipment back at the Morphew place, and then he returned to the Morphew home to finish what he'd started (fully concealing SM's remains).

It's even possible SM's killer had been prepping the site where he intended to conceal her remains before 9PM that day and that he explained it to SM by saying that he was improving or repairing some hardscaping on site instead.

I don't know how you explain the interrupted communication with the friend unless you consider that she was probably killed or otherwise disabled at that point.

And I don't know how you explain the odd half hour of heavy equipment operation noise heard by the neighbor at BM's job site unless you consider it in relation to SM's disappearance and presume that the operator was a person who knew that equipment was there and there was a reason he needed to use it at that late hour.
ever hear a wood chipper? I was driving home from work the other day and saw (and heard) one in action - a big one - wonder if the sound was similar ???
(sorry folks)
JMO

I'm sorry, but "Oh, and this mountain lion threw her bike off a ledge." made me LOL!

I agree and with all of the other 'stories' makes you wonder if he told some people one thing and others another and LE yet another just to scatter the masses. Divide and conquer on an intermediate school level.
I do believe he was misguiding people where to look and did organize his friends and BIL's searches.
One thing I've learned about liars is that their ability to cause confusion can often work.
Likely works on their wives too, until it doesn't.
I so agree! "...makes you wonder if he told some people one thing and others another and LE yet another just to scatter the masses."

BM does like to wear different hats. Others do too. They get busted.

Last edited:
First of all, Suzanne's family was not anywhere near the area where Suzanne disappeared. Most of them hadn't even been in regular contact with her in the last two years. Secondly, Barry is the husband and was the last person to see her. So her family would not be held to the same standards as the spouse.

Third, they have already indicated that they did not want to reveal too much because they didn't want to hinder the investigation.

And fourth, since LE are treating the husband as a suspect it seems natural that he would be scrutinized more than the rest of the family.

In terms of searching, Suzanne's family did search the area when she first went missing. They wouldn't know where else to search without evidence that points to a specific location. Her body could be anywhere in Colorado.

Imo

MsBetsy, following from your last sentence, "Her body could be anywhere in Colorado" even in another County, as we found with Gannon, recently.

SBM
If the suggestion is that I think one spouse having an affair gives the other spouse cause to commit murder let me clearly state that I do not. Therefore, I would not blame a spouse who is having an affair for his/her own murder in this or any other case.

Fair point on the pejorative. I'm just not that PC to even think twice about it but I will try to do better.

Exactly - and I agree with you. However, we aren't the only two people here and I can assure you that from the get-go, any discussion of this (even in a theoretical sense without stating who in this case might be having an affair) is going to have to proceed very carefully.

I can imagine it, and I can speak to some aspects of that scenario without using perjorative language. But I don't usually make the attempt when someone else is reading and they're already using language that I think is negative toward the victim.

I am, myself, trying very hard to avoid negativity towards victims, so as to steer clear entirely of any possible victim blaming - or putting victim-blaming in someone else's head. The way to avoid victim blaming is in fact, to steer clear of critiques of the victim's behavior (and even if you think affairs are morally neutral, it is a social fact that many others would hear it differently).

Well now I'm puzzled. What do you disagree with, exactly? Perhaps your puzzlement is because you misread?

I thought I was pretty clear. I asked a specific question. Given that BLM is almost totally disliked on this thread, why is it so hard to imagine that SM would "find someone else?" I'm asking the question because I've followed pretty closely here and the ideally is basically summarily dismissed. I attribute that to WSers reading quite deeply into the psychologies and personalities of people they don't know. In fact, you're making that case again with your comment.

Is it disparaging to even suggest that it would be possible and reasonable for SM to find someone else? I don't think so. I am not saying she did and I fully acknowledge that there is no evidence, at all, of such. (In fact, there is no evidence of either side cheating.)

And if you want to see real disparagement, read almost anything about BLM in the past 28 threads. IMO

because this thread, and all 29 other ones, is not about whether SM had an affair or didn't have an affair. she is a victim in this situation, and we are here to brainstorm and figure out the person that (most likely) killed her. do you understand that someone likely murdered this woman? why in the world would we be doing anything else here but being defensive of HER and casting doubt on the people or person in her life that likely took hers? statistically, it was her husband, not definitely (yet), not factually (yet), so he is up for discussion. she. was. (probably) murdered. this is why i have such low tolerance for bm supporters. how are you not trying to find who hurt suzanne, EVEN if it was BM? she's the one missing. she's the one that was ripped from her daughters' lives. everyone surrounding her is up for taking a look at and discussing, and questioning, but the one that is highly likely dead, by the hands of a real , is not it. why is this confusing?

Last edited:
I don’t care if Suzanne had a special friend. I don’t care if Barry had one either. If LE had someone else in their sights re: Suzanne’s disappearance, then we would have reason to look in another direction. I’m not seeing that. The only blame here is for whoever caused her to be gone.

If you listen to AM, I don’t know how you can come away without believing he is being honest. He walks you through his thought process, and how he initially wrote off certain suspicious behavior as Barry being emotional.

He has no reason to lie about the CBI visiting him, or sharing certain information with him. In fact, up until then, AM was still on Barry’s side.

I think he was told certain things in order to change his mindset, and encourage him to share things that he wouldn’t otherwise share; things that he initially wrote off.

Comparing anything Barry says with what the family members of Suzanne says, is like comparing apples and oranges.

Low risk victims are almost never abducted from low crime areas. Then you have this bizarre alibi story, law enforcement executing three search warrants on two different locations, a bike that is obviously staged (something only someone close to the victim does), a man who refuses to make media appeals for his missing wife, and a guy who clearly knows he is a suspect because he’s blasting the investigation.

There’s a reason LE is looking at him, and it’s not because “it’s always the husband.” Warrants require evidence, and not mere suspicion.

He’s still throwing around this insane “mountain lion” theory, which is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. All due respect to Letecia Stauch, and “Eguardo.”

So I don’t believe a damn thing that comes out of this man’s mouth, and his word is not equal to the word of Suzanne’s family.

Not remotely, as I see it.

Wow. Bravo!

Construction starts at 9Am on Sunday in Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela