Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably couldn’t fake it for long. But.. the Frazee / Kenney duo briefly faked texts with Kelsey Berreth’s own mother.
And, according to someone (it was here) the msgs or posts or something seemed off, after some time?
Am I remembering that correctly, albeit disjointedly?
I also wonder if they were using ethernet in the connection. I'll assume they were for now.
While on ether, you may not even know it but other receivers can link up unless you disable the setting that allows it.
Phones and other wifi enabled devices (laptops) can see everything you do at the same address.

Last edited:
If he disabled the cameras, would he have done that physically, or via an app, such as Ring or Nest? Wonder if the time they were disabled would thus be recorded.

Hopefully the camera company is subject to subpoena (along with social media, etc).
I can disable any of my ring devices via my phone or computer - I’m curious of the type of system installed I don’t think it was on the house listing ? My ring devices can be unplugged easily - my ring doorbell is wired so I’m looking forward to these details
JMO

Messenger is absolutely the way I communicate with my friends and family, especially when it's related to social life, events, planning, and catching up.

I only text with family. And I don't post much on Facebook, but I use Messenger a lot. It doesn't feel any more superficial than texting. It's just a texting app--it has no relation to Facebook on your phone. In fact, you can remove Facebook from your phone (which I did a year ago) and still use messenger on your phone (which i do daily).

Also: Suzanne obviously communicated with her best friends on Messenger and I don't think it made her superficial. I think it's just how people communicate now.

I agree. I don't use it much, but my wife is active on FB and has plenty of FB friends that she doesn't have cell numbers for, so it's the only way to communicate with them directly. I also wonder in the mountains where cell coverage can be spotty if FB messenger would be more reliable than texting?

I can disable any of my ring devices via my phone or computer - I’m curious of the type of system installed I don’t think it was on the house listing ? My ring devices can be unplugged easily - my ring doorbell is wired so I’m looking forward to these details
JMO
The listing did say a "security system' no details as to what it was. It reads Smart Home Features: Alarm/Security System, Security Cameras. The home was built in 2008. It could have been a pretty old system, then again doubt it was cheap, probably top of the line.

Last edited:
DW is in bed, but I think I can answer most of this for you, because I had some of the same questions and thoughts.

First of all, I wouldn't make the assumption that BM had more FB friends than SM. BM and SM were a couple of years apart in high school and it just happens that DW is closer in age, and therefore was friends with BM. She said BM was extremely inactive on FB, to the point that she (and others) wondered why he even bothered having a FB page at all. She said that the only reason she wasn't friends with SM is because she just never thought about it - I think had BM been more active on FB, it likely would have triggered that thought for her years ago.

As far as the friends/trust part of this - I think that has a lot to do with being from such a small town. The average graduating class in Alexandria is maybe around 100. There's one high school, one middle school, and only a couple of elementary schools. My wife has friends that she's known since second grade, male and female. I went to a high school with 10 times as many students, and just can't relate. So I think this is normal - I've gone with my wife to her high school reunions, and there's a closeness that just isn't there in larger communities/schools. I'd also say this about that closeness - I think there's accountability that's built in there as well - in such a small community - if there was anything inappropriate going on between married classmates, you better believe it would get out and people would call them out on it. All that to say, I wouldn't read anything into BM having FB friends that weren't also friends of SM.

I can't speak to content on BMs FB page (probably violates TOS anyway), other than he just wasn't active on it.

Hope that helps.....

Thanks @Hoosierfan72 for confirming the small-town environment and culture.

I apologize if anybody was offended with my earlier post about BM looking to coverup his *Indiana, female, FB friends which do not appear on SM's FB friends--(even though this is completely normal to both the friends and IN locals).

Considering that BM lived in IN his entire life before moving West, I think BM learned the hard way he wasn't in Kansas anymore (i.e., Indiana).

I think it's BM's appearance to sleuths-- and the rest of the world that I thought BM might be thinking about when considering whether to add his female FB friends to his wife's FB friends. He's suddenly paranoid.

A little more on small-town culture.......on the AR Sydney Sutherland thread, some viewers really struggled to grasp the closeness of a rural, country community. Especially where the only high school is grades 8-12. One viewer thought it near criminal that 8th-grade girls would be in school with 12th-grade young men!

I thought one AR local explained it best when he asked members to imagine that every person in town is your 2nd cousin (not reality), and whether or not you would think it wrong to share the same school and be FB friends with your 2nd cousin--male or female. He went on to add think of generations of farmers in one town that live just like 2nd cousins, and where it's never changed.

MOO

ETA: *Indiana

Last edited:
The listing did say a "security system' no details as to what it was. It reads Smart Home Features: Alarm/Security System, Security Cameras. The home was built in 2008. It could have ben a pretty old system, then again doubt it was cheap, probably top of the line.

Could be an ADT system. They’ve been around a long time.

Interesting to see “utility sink” in the home features, right by security system. I’m sure the investigators took apart and tested all the drains in the house for blood. Hate typing that. :(

19057 Puma Path, Salida, CO 81201 | Zillow

Thanks @Hoosierfan72 for confirming the small-town environment and culture.

I apologize if anybody was offended with my earlier post about BM looking to coverup his female FB friends which do not appear on SM's FB friends--(even though this is completely normal to both the friends and IN locals).

Considering that BM lived in IN his entire life before moving West, I think BM learned the hard way he wasn't in Kansas anymore (i.e., Indiana).

I think it's BM's appearance to sleuths-- and the rest of the world that I thought BM might be thinking about when considering whether to add his female FB friends to his wife's FB friends. He's suddenly paranoid.

A little more on small-town culture.......on the AR Sydney Sutherland thread, some viewers really struggled to grasp the closeness of a rural, country community. Especially where the only high school is grades 8-12. One viewer thought it near criminal that 8th-grade girls would be in school with 12th-grade young men!

I thought one AR local explained it best when he asked members to imagine that every person in town is your 2nd cousin (not reality), and whether or not you would think it wrong to share the same school and be FB friends with your 2nd cousin--male or female. He went on to add think of generations of farmers in one town that live just like 2nd cousins, and where it's never changed.

MOO
Really great point, and very true. I grew up in a bedroom community/suburbia setting and it's completely different. My wife knows so many of these people better (far better) than I know my own cousins. Many of these families have been there for generations - literally grew up with each other and shared life together in a way that is very unique and extremely different from what so many people experience. Truly, it's not at all uncommon to see best friends whose parents were also best friends when they were in high school. If BM is indeed found to be responsible for SMs disappearance, it will rock this community in such a deep way.

BBM
Sorry, I'm slow. This isn't at all obvious to me. Why do you say so?
All I'm stating is the lie is worse that the issue of finances. People tend to survive being broke but lies make for tension and hate in a relationship.
You must be slow in reading but smart to pull up this older comment. All moo. o_O

Could be an ADT system. They’ve been around a long time.

Interesting to see “utility sink” in the home features, right by security system. I’m sure the investigators took apart and tested all the drains in the house for blood. Hate typing that. :(

19057 Puma Path, Salida, CO 81201 | Zillow
I see what you’re talking about. If the home has indoor motion sensors, and that is a service like ADT, then hopefully we’ll hear about logs, like in the Stauch case.

They’ll say when Barry left, and if there was any movement after that (Suzanne).

Hopefully. Maybe.

I use Facebook messenger to text or voice or video chat with friends and family outside of the country for free. It's really convenient. Saves me money on international toll charges etc. I can see if my contact is live/online too, or when their last activity was.

Edited to add: So this is something SM's friend might have noticed. If SM's activity just suddenly stopped for hours. It would basically say the time she was last typing in Messenger. Alarm bells might ring if she wasn't active at all for a significant period of time.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for saying this @Spartygirl because I've been known to ask complete strangers in Starbucks if I can use their FB account!

Fortunately, MSM news networks including reporter LS TV FB account allow me to view without a FB login/account but if I want to see something all are buzzing about, I've been known to ask, and somebody has handed me their phone. (I'm shocked most never log out). :eek:

Now I'm sorry for whatever may pop up -- given I'm usually viewing a crime victim or the suspect's FB!

So that was YOU, was it?!!;)

If he logged into her FB from his phone, they will 100% be able to find that out, In Gmail there is an option to view recent login activity and even when i am on the same network it shows when i connected via my phone, or computer etc, I have no doubt facebook knows the same info. If he logged in on his own phone while away from their house ie not using their home internet connection then it will show up as logging in with the unique IP addressee assigned to his own phone.

He would have to be pretty stupid to have done this imo, but then maybe he's not clued up on technology.

I have an iphone and that uses facial recognition to unlock it, i simply have to just look at the screen, if SM had an iPhone with this feature he could have accessed her accounts this way, i just checked with my own phone and it unlocks with my eyes closed. :eek: My online banking and paypal etc all unlocks via face recognition.

Yeah. We heard this rumor early on that their security cameras weren’t working days before Suzanne disappeared. I think this actually came from Barry, and was a lie.

I think he killed Suzanne, and then disabled the cameras.

The more details we get, the more belief I have that this was a spur of the moment crime, and Barry had to react quickly to commit a coverup. There are lots of ways to commit a premeditated crime, but I wouldn’t expect anything like this if that was in fact the case.

If your timeline is correct and the cameras are Ring, then Barry was taking a huge chance. Yes, one can delete Ring video, but Amazon's (Ring's parent company) servers log that deletion, at a minimum, or maybe even keep the "deleted" video for a period afterward, per Ring's Law Enforcement Guidelines. I'm not as familiar with Google's Nest, but it's guidelines may be similar.

If, however, the video is recorded onto an in-home DVR system, the video can indeed be deleted, but investigators may be able to recover said video.

The listing did say a "security system' no details as to what it was. It reads Smart Home Features: Alarm/Security System, Security Cameras. The home was built in 2008. It could have been a pretty old system, then again doubt it was cheap, probably top of the line.

It’s pretty easy to upgrade a home alarm system and security cameras to a smart home system. It’s also interesting that they called it a smart home system which makes me think it’s Ring or Nest or something similar.

I see what you’re talking about. If the home has indoor motion sensors, and that is a service like ADT, then hopefully we’ll hear about logs, like in the Stauch case.

They’ll say when Barry left, and if there was any movement after that (Suzanne).

Hopefully. Maybe.
Would the motion sensors say when Barry left the house or just when someone who was there at the time left? His defense, it wasn't me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if any of those communications started with, "Listen..."
Can't say, how I hate this, hearing it from BM!!!!!!
I think, the communication after 2:30pm in SM's name especially included an odd reason, why "I'm not reachable for some time because of ...". If Suzanne never did this before and the reason would have been mysterious and incomprehensible for family/friends, the alarm bells began ringing quietly. But BM needed tiiiiiiiiime and didn't need calls by family/friends, asking, why SM wasn't responding to their communication. MOO

For the late night sleuthers - this is what we’ve been discussing - inside info

And day sleuthers. I've been going nuts since late yesterday trying to figure out why all these conversations were going on! Now it all makes sense.

Thanks for the bump as I was too hesitant to ask what the heck was everyone talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ty1220