Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all locked down now. If you pay someone over $600/yr, they are sent a 1099 and you report the payments to the feds (using their TIN/SS numbers).
If the 1099 recipient does not file a tax return reporting the income, I imagine there is a cross reference check & balance whereby the IRS will pursue you mercilessly.
Not so sure the IRS is up to speed with tech. You could be right, of course.
Also, 'good money' could be $100/day w/room incl. It's my experience that unless you're audited (they do do random audits) and if your CPA is audited, you are too. Otherwise, cash or checks paid as 'cash' might do well to avoid complications.
This JP, supposedly not being one usually in BM's employ, may not even be an issue, in any event.
JMO

Maybe that's what he meant when he said he doesn't always pay with checks, maybe just the government jobs that require proof of paying.
What if he put them to work without a contract, and one of them is hurt on the job? Does a supervisor with qualifications have to be on the job at all times?

Maybe he paid JP beforehand, which is what JP might have been alluding to, that he didn't speak further with BM but he got paid.

I will remain surprised by any legit employer who says he pays his employees "mostly" by check. If someone had asked me that when I had my business I would have just looked at them.............well duh, of course.

I never heard BM say he doesn't always pay by check, only heard AM ask if his home address was on his checks.

IMO, the only Colorado contractors that you will find paying employees under the table are those hiring undocumented workers.

Colorado building season can be short in areas such as Salida, and employees themselves are the watchdog now -- forcing employers to pay wages according to the law because they want to collect UI during the winter or downtime.

You also have to keep in mind that Salida is a small town and employees talk. Nothing is more important to BM than his image. I think BM knows other ways to cheat whether it be by overbilling equipment hours or materials.

I also think that BM has more work outside of Salida than in town because BM's lifestyle pretty much demands he stick to public works contracts.

If BM is working in town, I suspect he's self-performing the work so payroll would be a non-issue. MOO

Last edited:
A
I agree with your statement...BM would have to be a deranged sociopath to flip a switch and see his wife in terms of needing his game dressing skills to render her disposable. IMO, he would have been skating on thin mental health ice for years to crack like this...friends and family should have seen smoke signals that he was not functioning normally. Perhaps, SM finally saw the danger she was in and BM reacted to horror her by killing her.
Maybe he saw his facade cracking. Can't let that happen, at all cost.
Anyone who has the capacity to kill their wife is a freaking nutjob. Total psychopath, forget about sociopath.
Their personality disorders are formed at a young age and, due to self-preservation, understand how to hide them.
Borderline PD is a good example.
Mothers usually know or have suspicions but live in denial. So may cases have proved this.

On my way to Boulder, I stopped by the northbound Flatiron Park & Ride, which is very near this hotel. The parking lot is about twenty feet below the platform, and there is a large concrete retaining wall facing northeast. It appears that there was recent construction activity to improve drainage on the southern end of the wall. Underground equipment adjacent to a storm drain was installed or repaired, and the site re-graded with a machine (Bobcat?) to carry water away from the wall to the drain. The site is small. I am not sure the job is complete: an equipment container and pile of dirt remain on the site. If the work BM came to Denver for was earthwork related to a wall, this could be it. As noted before, we are not sure BM had an RTD contract or subcontract, and if so what the equipment and personnel needs might be for the scope of work. But this project could be worth checking out for any folks who can. It should be posted somewhere.

If BM really was reworking a retaining wall for RTD I believe this could be the one. I know exactly what you're talking about and was thinking the same thing.

I agree with your statement...BM would have to be a deranged sociopath to flip a switch and see his wife in terms of needing his game dressing skills to render her disposable. IMO, he would have been skating on thin mental health ice for years to crack like this...friends and family should have seen smoke signals that he was not functioning normally. Perhaps, SM finally saw the danger she was in and BM reacted to horror her by killing her.

I’ve always believed this was a crime of passion, and that BM actually wasn’t a terrible guy before this event. The thing stopping him from owning up to this, is that he’s managed to justify it in his mind.

I think she learned something about an extramarital affair, or something financial, and she told him it was over.

Something scared him, enraged him, and caused him to lash out.

I don’t believe for a second that he will get away with this, and I think in the coming months we will see an arrest. I cannot wait for the day.

I'm confused, are you protesting something here?

Not at all! I was confused and catching up as I was wondering where the MSM was, and I confused others in the process. I now realize we were discussing something that came up here and that was Tricia approved and many have bumped and reposted to help make sense of so much that transpired since yesterday.

That's what I thought AM said, too. Could it be that Suzanne was texting with her friend with her phone and it ended at 2:30? Then the conversation continued on FB until 9:00 pm, and those were the messages that sounded out of character for her?
Now this makes sense to me! I've been having a terrible time coinciding PE's 2:30pm (which is actually 12:30pm) and PE's 9pm.

I wonder if BM has a storage unit in Salida or close by where he stores materials, tools, etc in, away from the residence?
...if BM has a storage unit, it is possible the coolers would be stored there.

I wonder if other things that take up a lot of storage space and that have infrequent use were at the home or in the garage (camping supplies/tools like tents, tarps, folding chairs; holiday decorations; spare folding tables. etc.).

I’ve always believed this was a crime of passion, and that BM actually wasn’t a terrible guy before this event. The thing stopping him from owning up to this, is that he’s managed to justify it in his mind.

I think she learned something about an extramarital affair, or something financial, and she told him it was over.

I don’t believe for a second that he will get away with this, and I think in the coming months we will see an arrest. I cannot wait for the day.
BBM.
So glad you have surmised this.
I have been feeling the same way.
Sadly, something made him snap.
IMO, if true, this is why the girls are close by his side.
This can't possibly be the Father they have known.
The same goes for his Mother and close relatives.
A Barry they never knew could exist.
Incredibly sad all around.
MOO.

BBM.
So glad you have surmised this.
I have been feeling the same way.
Sadly, something made him snap.
IMO, if true, this is why the girls are close by his side.
This can't possibly be the Father they have known.
The same goes for his Mother and close relatives.
A Barry they never knew could exist.
Incredibly sad all around.
MOO.
I think a lot of people look at a case like this through the prism of previous cases, like Scott Peterson, Chris Watts, Patrick Frazee, and countless others.

But anecdotally, and I’m pretty sure statistically, that’s not the norm.

I’ve never felt this was planned, and as we learn more, I just don’t buy it.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that some members of the Moorman family had spotted some signs and that's what caused the cooling of relations between Morphews and Moormans. There has to be a reason for SM having less contact with her family over the last two years.
Narcissists can be very charming. If one of her family members had said something negative about BM, SM would be loyal to her husband (not understanding the relevance of the red flags) and stand by him. More importantly, he would make sure that she did, deploying his narcissistic charm to isolate and convince her of how out of order (and wrong) her family was.
Gaslighting, however subtle, would be part of his armory.

Where was BM's Project?

@Dagliesh bbm Seems like a good possibility. I wonder if there is a way to confirm this as BM's project.
Maybe take pix to post? TiA. Or find some pix/vid from traffic reports, from local TV?
Once our construction pro's here can see pix, maybe they can tell us if it is/was BM size job (2-4 person w. Bobcat?).
Or if it called for legions, like the Great Pyramid at Giza? *

@oviedo Does it belong on Media Thread for SM? Or elsewhere? TiA.

"... tens of thousands of skilled workers. Verner posited that the labour was organized into a hierarchy, consisting of two gangs of 100,000 men, divided into five zaa or phyle of 20,000 men each, which may have been further divided according to the skills of the workers..."
I’m going to save it and perhaps the PE guys or Lauren can check it out ?

If BM acted out of character, to the extent that he let himself down, and has deep regrets, are we more likely to seen him crack at some point and confess?

If he did something to her sometime Saturday afternoon when her communication stopped and he also reported that he last saw her still asleep on Sunday morning. I wonder if the bed looked truly slept in, whether there were clothes scattered, towels damp from a shower. I wonder if there were dirty coffee cups and breakfast dishes that she used. If she took medication in the morning, was it gone? I wonder if he was successful in setting up the house to look like she had been there Sunday until her "bike ride"

A very good point, Rosiebones.:):)
As BM is very haphazard, I wouldn't think, he would plan activities, to make it appear that SM slept, and woke the next morning etc (if he was the culprit).

LE would have checked these issues, and know when SM left the house.
As the security cameras were down, we don't know when there was movement in the house, and when it ceased.
Most convenient, I am sure.
MOO.

I have an inkling it'll be much sooner than that.

jmo

I see this side for sure but I also wonder about other things leading up to the weekend that may point to him considering this in advance of may9 - like Fotis planning the whole blitz attack complete with bicycle on Jennifer that morning prior to Memorial Day weekend - I’m not ready to concede pure rage/spur of the moment as I think he was thinking this -in the way far back of his mind -for some time
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members