Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For that to be the case, did she then have a ride? Did someone pick her up near the bridge? Because surely if she just walked off into the wilderness (and it's 16 miles to the nearest town), she would die of exposure. Unless she had camping equipment with her. It was in the high 30's at night on a couple of nights in the first week, and again in the last couple of days, and that's if she stayed in the area near home/Salida. If she headed up Monarch Pass, it was even colder. OTOH, if she hitched a ride or had someone pick her up, she could have headed for warmer climates. Since LE has her SSN by now, they have her credit report, and they know all her CC numbers. So I doubt that she's using a CC or ATM card to fund running away.

I doubt there would be continued FBI involvement if they found that camping equipment was missing from the home. To buy new equipment, she'd need a credit card with her and by now, surely they've looked into credit card statements. But she's still considered a missing person, not a voluntary walk-away.

Not taking anything is a big clue, but doesn't point to voluntary disappearance (although she could have had a burner phone and discarded or left behind her regular phone). That would have to be one super unhappy woman, as she is likely immune-compromised and this is not a great time to be out and about in the wider world. She probably still needs medical care and follow-up.

Anyone who involves this much LE in their "need to be alone for awhile" is mentally unstable, IMO. And it's quite cruel to the family. So that would mean something was wrong in Denmark. BUT, stranger things have happened.

The lack of many wilderness SAR resources on her case stands out to me. If they had any inkling she might have been injured or lost out there, or even experiencing some kind of mental crisis, I would expect to see SAR teams from all over the state out there. Instead, all searches appear to be very targeted, and limited on personnel to mostly LE. This all looks much more like a straight-up criminal investigation, and they seem very confident going in that direction

There's been a lot of discussion on this thread about the "remoteness" of the area around Suzanne's house. Just to clarify...even though her house appears to be situated on some acreage, this area is not nearly as remote as people think. Mayville is basically at the crossroads between Hwy 50 (coming down from Monarch Pass/Crested Butte) and Hwy 285. This is a heavily traveled region used by people driving north from New Mexico/Alamosa to the mountain areas and west to Crested Butte. There are several small towns within 20 miles, including Poncha Springs, Nathrop, Salida, and Buena Vista. This area has seen tons of growth in recent years. Crested Butte is a popular destination and vacation spot, so Hwy 50 toward Gunnison sees a lot of traffic.

I respectfully disagree. People don't stop in Mayville unless they've business in Mayville. It's a "blink and you miss it" dot (does it even have a stoplight?) off the freeway between Salida and Gunnison. People gas up in Salida or Gunnison and head over Monarch (or up/down 285 in Poncha Springs). Only Gunnison has been closed so no stopping in Gunnison for gas or bathroom breaks. That means anyone going over Monarch from Salida has to go 4 hours over two passes (Monarch and Cerro) and through Gunnison Gorge all the way into Montrose (if they stay on 50) without even a bathroom (well, there's one shabby gas station off 50 in Cimarron about 20 minutes from Montrose but at that point, you've already driven past it and it's best to just wait). That's one heck of a drive. Thus traffic on 50 has been very light compared to normal.

article said the court (sheriff) sealed it.
Search warrants being sealed are generally coordinated through a DA's office and are requested of a magistrate judge. That would not be something a POI would request, as they have no legal standing in how items of evidence are disclosed. It's very common in active investigations for search warrants to be sealed for a period of time, to protect the integrity of the investigation.
Thank you.

Probable Cause (PC) for a search warrant (SW) requires showing that there is a substantial probability that items searched for are:

(1) Connected with criminal activity, and;
(2) Likely to be found on the premises.

How do the police persuade an impartial magistrate that there’s a substantial probability of items connected with criminal activity and that such items are likely found on the premises? In the warrant application, criminal investigators will submit sworn statements listing their reasons for believing both (1) and (2) are the case. The affidavit cannot say, “In my considered judgment as a criminal investigator, there is a substantial likelihood that there are items on the premises connected with criminal activity and they are likely to be found on the premises.” Instead, the affidavit must assist the impartial magistrate in making an independent judgment that both (1) and (2) are true.

So, take the case of Casey Anthony. Imagine the sworn statements the investigators submitted in their application for a search warrant. Or, take a look at the application and warrant here:

https://shakedowntitle.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/60117140-casey-anthony-various-documents.pdf

I hope that's helpful.

I've been searching and can't find an answer to this. If someone consented to a search, is there any possibility that LE could seek a warrant just to support the fact that consent was given in the event consent was withdrawn or if consent was ever disputed at a later date?

After looking at the photo I assumed it (flatbed trailer and bobcat dirt hauler) belonged to the Morphews', considering where it was parked, off to the side.
And yes with a landscaping business one would expect to see such equipment.
That's why I asked if they had any employees who'd worked on that house or grounds.
B/c you don't necessarily want to do all of it yourself if you can hire someone for heavy lifting.
And the husband is no spring chicken himself.
Some people have a hard time lifting heavy objects after 50.
Just ask my friend's husband.

But if it was brought in--wouldn't it be on the main driveway area and still be attached to the truck that hauled it ?
Ya know I bet he has workers coming to the house and also that is why they bought rather remote and a lot of acreage for the business which he is very successful in. Now it gets me thinking were his workers checked out? JMO

The sheriff's office press release says this about the alleged bike ride: "[the reporting party] advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home". That suggests to me that the neighbor did not actually see Suzanne out for a bike ride or heading out for a bike ride. If the neighbor (the reporting party) advised LE that Suzanne "reportedly" went out for a bike ride, that means that the neighbor was told this was a possibility / probability. If the neighbor had actually seen her on said bike ride or heading out for said bike ride, the statement would read, "the reporting party advised that they had seen their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, out for a bike ride in the area". That they say "reportedly" where they do tells me that the alleged bike ride was reported to the neighbor, not that the neighbor saw it herself.
Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that WS members think about the verbiage in articles WAY more than the journalists who wrote them. I'm not saying I disagree with your thoughts on "reportedly," but just sharing a random thought I have about our interpretations of the data we get to discuss.

Sunday will mark two weeks since she has been reported missing and we know not much more than we did that day IMO - to recap:
Draft Timeline
5/10 - neighbor calls 911 and reportedly says she did not return from a bike ride - we know this neighbor's name (dailymail) and she won't comment further. Note, no description of what she was wearing, color of bike or style has ever been released. In fact, no physical description has been released.
then we have:
Suzanne's husbands' nephew gives an interview saying they found the bike but LE never confirms this - he also implores (my word) the public to ask the Sheriff about the bike
then Find FB page set up this nephew - then Crowd funding set up to raise funds for the "search" - my words
Reward of 100k announced by husband, then doubled by friend - not through a LE presser and LE does not offer a crimestoppers reward. Note reward is for her safe return, not information leading to, etc.
Suzanne's husband says it's too soon to comment
Suzanne's husband releases video a week later only through the Find FB page- media picks it up - again, not through LE
Meanwhile, searches going on by LE. No evidence of the family's searches are reported in MSM that I can find.
Major Highway shutdown by LE 5/15
Search warrant released and dailymail scoops the search complete with pictures of evidence being removed from home
Search warrant sealed
Searching continues? 5/21 ? LE at the house (2 vehicles can be seen parked near home)

references are in the media thread - and I will work on (feel free to join in) on updating each entry with MSM
Chaffee County Sheriff - Website

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Ya know I bet he has workers coming to the house and also that is why they bought rather remote and a lot of acreage for the business which he is very successful in. Now it gets me thinking were his workers checked out? JMO

IMO, there could be many people who may have been aware that Suzanne would be alone that weekend.

No lengthy OT details here, but I personally knew someone whose daughter was attacked, left for dead, but survived strictly because she played dead. The perp knew she was alone because he was at a wedding reception with the parents when someone else asked where their lovely daughter was.

I've been searching and can't find an answer to this. If someone consented to a search, is there any possibility that LE could seek a warrant just to support the fact that consent was given in the event consent was withdrawn or if consent was ever disputed at a later date?

Yes. Absolutely. IANAL but searching on consent only is relatively risky and it's pretty easy to get a warrant if you have the cause. Better to have the warrant in hand and not technically need it, then to need it and not have it or have anything about the search challenged later.

I respectfully disagree. People don't stop in Mayville unless they've business in Mayville. It's a "blink and you miss it" dot (does it even have a gas station?) off the freeway between Salida and Gunnison. People gas up in Salida or Gunnison and head over Monarch (or up/down 285 in Poncha Springs). Only Gunnison has been closed so no stopping in Gunnison for gas or bathroom breaks. That means anyone going over Monarch from Salida has to go 4 hours over two passes (Monarch and Cerro) and through Gunnison Gorge all the way into Montrose (if they stay on 50) without even a bathroom (well, there's one shabby gas station off 50 in Cimarron about 20 minutes from Montrose but at that point, you've already driven past it and it's best to just wait). That's one heck of a drive. Thus traffic on 50 has been very light compared to normal.
I have driven Monarch Pass more than a few times and, admittedly, haven't noticed the town of Maysville. However, checking the map, Maysville appears to be only about 12 miles from Salida, just at the start of Monarch Pass...so not that far from the very busy Hwy 285 interchange area around Poncha Springs. My point was simply that, her house doesn't appear to be that far away from civilization...commenters were making it sound like it was remote and far from any population center. It isn't. Then again, "remote" is a relative term in Colorado, LOL!

Last edited:
I am going to try to say something about Barry's video plea, but I want to begin simply by posting a partial transcription of it here, as well as a link to the video. I think his video plea is both interesting and important.

Transcription:
Oh Suzanne,
if anyone is out there who can hear this, that has you
please, we’ll do whatever it takes to bring you back.
No questions asked.
However much they want.
I will do whatever it takes to get you back.
Honey, I love you.
I want you back so badly.

Link to article with the video plea:
'I'll do whatever it takes': Husband of missing woman makes tearful plea for her safe return

sometimes when a case stalls I go back to the beginning in the media thread and prior information takes on new meaning. i'm getting that feeling here.
JMO

Exactly.

JMO
It can help to see things in a new light. And different questions come up like
How did we come to know what we know?
Why have we not heard from certain people?
Could LE have encouraged certain people to say nothing to media?
Why was a description never given of what she would have been wearing that day?
Why was a day or time not given when she supposedly was last seen by anyone?

Just so many questions still and lots of new questions come up when we think back to the beginning.

I feel so bad for Suzanne as I cannot think of any good outcome in this. I hope by some miracle she can still be found safe but as each day passes, the hope fades.

Another person that I feel really bad for right now is the poor elderly neighbor. She just tried to help as anyone would and then she gets hounded by the media and she has to be worried sick that her neighborhood is no longer safe. I hope someone is with her to help her through this until its resolution.

A perp never thinks about all the other "victims" they will hurt when they do harm on an individual.

Yes. Absolutely. IANAL but searching on consent only is relatively risky and it's pretty easy to get a warrant if you have the cause. Better to have the warrant in hand and not technically need it, then to need it and not have it or have anything about the search challenged later.
That's kind of how I was thinking ... that the ITO doesn't necessarily have to be based on suspicion of criminal activity, just dotting Ts to cover the bases from square one in the event it led back there.

Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that WS members think about the verbiage in articles WAY more than the journalists who wrote them. I'm not saying I disagree with your thoughts on "reportedly," but just sharing a random thought I have about our interpretations of the data we get to discuss.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. This was the sheriff's office's own press release. Law enforcement choose their words very carefully and for important, definite reasons.

The lack of many wilderness SAR resources on her case stands out to me. If they had any inkling she might have been injured or lost out there, or even experiencing some kind of mental crisis, I would expect to see SAR teams from all over the state out there. Instead, all searches appear to be very targeted, and limited on personnel to mostly LE. This all looks much more like a straight-up criminal investigation, and they seem very confident going in that direction

From the Chaffee County Search and Rescue website:

Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was also contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results.

Search and Rescue resumed the search early Monday morning. They once again scoured the area. Members were then called from the Chaffee County Tactical Team along with search parties from the Department of Corrections and the area was once again scoured.

In all over 100 personnel were used during the search of the Maysville area, however by late Monday afternoon, Morphew had not been found.

Spezze said the search and the investigation are both still active.

Maysville woman missing - Chaffee County Search & Rescue - North

gotta ask what time is article stamped and updated? if military time why the :? seems its wrong since New York time now is 2:52 pm and this reporter has ?
@Birmingplumb :) The time stamp came from an artilce in online UK publication "thesun.co.uk" hence "updated 17:33" on May 21, being five hours ahead of US eastern time. jmo per link

Sorry if post was already answered. Hope this helps.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?p1=136&p2=179

Last edited:
except that it isn't a journalist - it's in the Sheriff's press release- Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff
and I believe it was carefully worded
JMO
-----------
CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE

Salida, Colorado

PRESS RELEASE

May 11, 2020

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Sheriff personnel called members of Chaffee County Search and Rescue South and North and a search began immediately. The Department of Corrections was contacted and a request was made for tracking dogs to assist. They responded and joined the search. The search continued into the early morning hours with no results.

our newest legal member will chime in but I asked around here - and you may withdraw consent at any time and they have to stop. the essential component is voluntariness - https://quizlet.com/287260845/crij-276-unit-3-exam-flash-cards/ - it's a question on an exam as well.
Now, what happens if evidence is found during the voluntary search and then it is stopped ? that's what I want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1