Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trailer & Bobcat in Driveway?

@AmandaReckonwith :) Thanks for your post & link. Right side of 2nd pic shows a (20 foot long?) flatbed trailer and a Bobcat (small loader/grader/excavator) piece of equipment, sitting side by side in the driveway of M. fam home. Looks like the kind used in landscaping imo. May or may not belong to M. family. And many other uses as well.

EYjO1qgU0AAcjyl

Maybe it doesn't belong to the family but to LE or the fbi and they have reasons for digging ?
Possibly a random abductor who killed and buried her right there ?
I know it's about as likely as her "bike ride"....
We still do not know why or who started the "she was on a bike ride", story.
It would be very interesting to know, though !

Nahhh...LE doesn't have the time or personpower to go through everyone's security cam video, and they'd have to subpoena every single one of them on top of that. People either will go thru their own cam footage or they won't. There's often someone who either knows how to access their own footage or is so inclined to find out how and learn.

I'm such a person, a techie by hobby. I don't have a doorbell cam, but if I did I'd know how to use all its features and have read through the manual. It's not rocket science.
Agree - they don't want to view all the video possible. IMO, when they have an idea of who was where at particular times (not necessarily just from devices but hopefully also from data dumps), they will seek camera footage in those locations.

WRT to knowing how to use our technology... I'm no slouch, but my husband is way more savvy than I am. While I can do live feed views, and look at recordings, he manages everything else. That works for me. I think it's reasonable to be concerned that some users might not know how to save their footage. I would/could certainly figure it out if I needed to, but not everyone can say that, IMO.

Maybe it doesn't belong to the family but to LE or the fbi and they have reasons for digging ?
Possibly a random abductor who killed and buried her right there ?
I know it's about as likely as her "bike ride"....
We still do not know why or who started the "she was on a bike ride", story.
It would be very interesting to know, though !
Would that be part of his landscaping business out there?

IMO this is not entirely accurate. I would suggest pulling up SM's address on google earth and take a look around
There's been a lot of discussion on this thread about the "remoteness" of the area around Suzanne's house. Just to clarify...even though her house appears to be situated on some acreage, this area is not nearly as remote as people think. Mayville is basically at the crossroads between Hwy 50 (coming down from Monarch Pass/Crested Butte) and Hwy 285. This is a heavily traveled arterial route used by people driving north from New Mexico/Alamosa to the mountain areas and west to Crested Butte. There are several small towns within 20 miles, including Poncha Springs, Nathrop, Salida, and Buena Vista. This area has seen tons of growth in recent years. Crested Butte is a popular destination and vacation spot, so Hwy 50 west toward Gunnison sees a lot of traffic.

Last edited:
Good afternoon sleuthers! Or what do we call ourselves? I’m brand new here and I am obsessed! I took part in the SM live chat last night and couldn’t wait to get all my chores done this morning so I could get back on here!!! Anyway so I’m trying to quote K9 Enzo here because I feel the same way as what she said. I love when my husband is gone out of town and I have the house to myself! I can do what I want, watch what I want, eat what I want, walk dogs, take long bath, drink wine & stay online for hours! Lol :D I have an older child who was away at college (b4 Covid) and if she would have had other plans on Mother’s Day weekend we would just celebrate Mother’s Day another day or go out for dinner probably after MD when it’s less crowded (again b4 Covid). As long as she called me on MD I’d be good and I would hope my spouse would acknowledge MD in some small way if he were gone perhaps leave me a card or small gift or flowers but I wouldn’t mind if he was not home...quite the opposite! So if SM was home alone on MD and she wanted to take a bike ride right before sunset in the beautiful area where she lives then I don’t find that odd at all. But not taking her cell phone in case of an emergency is a red flag to me. And we still don’t know if she did or didn’t take the phone right? But I’m quite sure LE knows if she took her phone and has a record of all pings, calls & texts that transpired. There is so much going on behind the scenes that we don’t know and it’s so frustrating. After years of watching Dateline my mind goes to the spouse and I hope for the daughters sake that is wrong and they will not lose both parents. Further I hope & pray above all else that she will still be found alive!! And that BM is innocent and we will all feel guilty as hell for thinking otherwise. <modsnip: not victim friendly>

Great post, and welcome!

You bring up a great point. This makes me wonder if LE found any evidence that any of the family members purchased or made a gift, or some sort of Mother’s Day celebration for SM prior to leaving out of town, or had something delivered for her.

In another case where a baby was missing, a huge sign of trouble was that it was reported no Christmas gifts were purchased for the child by the mother, and nobody saw her for the holiday, even though she wasn’t reported missing until months later.

IMO MOO JMO

What's odd about knowing (or learning) the full capabilities of your security cam software? These capabilities are documented and available for the consumer, by the manufacturer.

I agree.

I've been coding for over 20 years, in both open-source and Microsoft languages. I think I could figure it out.

JMVHO.

snipped for focus

This is indeed unsettling.
Why the need for crowd funding for a family that didn't need it ?
And who the hell cares about negative publicity when your loved one is missing and (according to the husband's home video) kidnapped by a random perp ?
So much silence.

It would be nice to hear from Suzanne's own siblings and relatives.
Is there someone who has threatened them, or a person they're afraid of angering ?
Imo.
BBM: Yes it would be! Her father in his 80's and she has 3 siblings, I believe all in Indiana. Maybe they don't know what to make of this. Maybe they are not close to her and her family. We heard about Barry's mother, his sister, his uncle and of course his nephew.

Great post, and welcome!

You bring up a great point. This makes me wonder if LE found any evidence that any of the family members purchased or made a gift, or some sort of Mother’s Day celebration for SM prior to leaving out of town, or had something delivered for her.

In another case where a baby was missing, a huge sign of trouble was that it was reported no Christmas gifts were purchased for the child by the mother, and nobody saw her for the holiday, even though she wasn’t reported missing until months later.

IMO MOO JMO

BBM

I wonder if Barry specifically got her a Mother's Day gift. Or even just a card.

Has the subject of her leaving on her own free will ever come up? LE maybe thinking SHE staged her own disappearance? Were they waiting for her to come back and she didn’t? I don’t believe this to be possible but we don’t know her mood or what she was going through personally. I could see times where people just feel overwhelmed and want to get away from everyone and everything. On the other hand to just up and leave and not take anything with you doesn’t make sense either. This is just my opinion and another angle to look at but how long can a person go into hiding? I also don’t believe she’d leave her daughters like that. Just so strange. I hope this is resolved soon. My brain is sore from trying to figure this sad situation out.

For that to be the case, did she then have a ride? Did someone pick her up near the bridge? Because surely if she just walked off into the wilderness (and it's 16 miles to the nearest town), she would die of exposure. Unless she had camping equipment with her. It was in the high 30's at night on a couple of nights in the first week, and again in the last couple of days, and that's if she stayed in the area near home/Salida. If she headed up Monarch Pass, it was even colder. OTOH, if she hitched a ride or had someone pick her up, she could have headed for warmer climates. Since LE has her SSN by now, they have her credit report, and they know all her CC numbers. So I doubt that she's using a CC or ATM card to fund running away.

I doubt there would be continued FBI involvement if they found that camping equipment was missing from the home. To buy new equipment, she'd need a credit card with her and by now, surely they've looked into credit card statements. But she's still considered a missing person, not a voluntary walk-away.

Not taking anything is a big clue, but doesn't point to voluntary disappearance (although she could have had a burner phone and discarded or left behind her regular phone). That would have to be one super unhappy woman, as she is likely immune-compromised and this is not a great time to be out and about in the wider world. She probably still needs medical care and follow-up.

Anyone who involves this much LE in their "need to be alone for awhile" is mentally unstable, IMO. And it's quite cruel to the family. So that would mean something was wrong in Denmark. BUT, stranger things have happened.

Do we know or have any way of knowing if the CBI or Sheriffs office wanted the search warrant sealed or if Barry Morphew wanted it sealed?
Search warrants being sealed are generally coordinated through a DA's office and are requested of a magistrate judge. That would not be something a POI would request, as they have no legal standing in how items of evidence are disclosed. It's very common in active investigations for search warrants to be sealed for a period of time, to protect the integrity of the investigation.

Great post and thank you! Where do you think the bike was found?

Later MSM articles describe “a bridge” as where the bike was found - nearby or at we don’t know. The search areas were around CR 225/Hwy 50 and then later slightly up west to Monarch Pass.

Which river, creek, or gully crossing would you most say a layperson would describe as a “bridge” and not a culvert?

There are two little bridges to get from 19057 Puma Path to HWY 50. One over Fooses creek and one over Arkansas River.
Both are on 225. The long private drive up to SMs house connects to 225 about 800 feet south of Fooses Creek Bridge.

Agreed. It came across to me as if they don’t think they will need any of the footage bc they have a good idea what happened already and that was more of a safer than sorry thing, save your video bc we may want it later after arresting the culprit for further proof of the crime committed.

They would be making pleas to the public to send in home video if they didn’t have a clue what happened, so clearly they know something

That late call can work against them. The defense will say that shows tunnel vision

The sheriff's office press release says this about the alleged bike ride: "[the reporting party] advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home". That suggests to me that the neighbor did not actually see Suzanne out for a bike ride or heading out for a bike ride. If the neighbor (the reporting party) advised LE that Suzanne "reportedly" went out for a bike ride, that means that the neighbor was told this was a possibility / probability. If the neighbor had actually seen her on said bike ride or heading out for said bike ride, the statement would read, "the reporting party advised that they had seen their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, out for a bike ride in the area". That they say "reportedly" where they do tells me that the alleged bike ride was reported to the neighbor, not that the neighbor saw it herself.

Would that be part of his landscaping business out there?
After looking at the photo I assumed it (flatbed trailer and bobcat dirt hauler) belonged to the Morphews', considering where it was parked, off to the side.
And yes with a landscaping business one would expect to see such equipment.
That's why I asked if they had any employees who'd worked on that house or grounds.
B/c you don't necessarily want to do all of it yourself if you can hire someone for heavy lifting.
And the husband is no spring chicken himself.
Some people have a hard time lifting heavy objects after 50.
Just ask my friend's husband.

But if it was brought in--wouldn't it be on the main driveway area and still be attached to the truck that hauled it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1