Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped
Missing Mother: Video Shows Remote Area Where Suzanne Morphew Was Biking

May 21, 2020 at 1:40 pm
Missing Mother: Video Shows Remote Area Where Suzanne Morphew Was Biking

CHAFFEE COUNTY, Colo. (CBS) – Video taken by Copter4 on Thursday shows Suzanne Morphew’s home and the remote part of Chaffee County she was believed to be biking in before she disappeared. Morphew, 49, was last seen on Mother’s Day, May 10.

suzanne-morphew-2.jpg

Suzanne Morphew (credit: Morphew family)

Morphew’s husband was in Denver, her family says, and a neighbor reported her missing when she didn’t return from her bike ride. Morphew’s bicycle was recovered but investigators have not said anything about its condition. Investigators are now following up on tips — and holding her home.

Copter-Feed-of-Morphews-House_frame_15239.jpeg

(credit: CBS)

Copter-Feed-of-Morphews-House_frame_9881-1.jpeg

“…the house continues to be held by law enforcement during this open investigation through a search warrant that has been sealed by the court,” the sheriff’s office stated.

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze stated that it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance.

Copter-Feed-of-Morphews-House_frame_4315.jpeg

In reading today's insightful postings, one tiny question popped up in my mind. There have been lots of reports stating that her bicycle was found with the brakes locked. Several avid bikers have posted that is not likely, due to the braking system on higher-end mountain bikes. Now it is coming out that the bike may have been on, or under, a bridge. My mind tends to simplify things. What if the bike was locked to the bridge? with a standard secure cable bike lock system? In proximity to a bridge, could it have been cabled to the side of the bridge? I just have questions, no answers. JMO

JMO
Yesterday when I saw mention of brakes locked, I was wondering if she had on a "Disc Brake Lock" and not that the brakes really got jammed or locked up.

If she had disc brakes on her bike they make a "Disc Brake Lock" like this one and unless someone was aware that it was on the bike, they may not have even seen this small locking device. It attaches to the disc brake drum and a small metal rod goes through one of the holes in the disc brake drum. Its a small little gadget that can lock up a bike to make it unrideable.

Anyway, that is what I thought of when I heard about brakes locking yesterday. I wondered if it was something like this.

One of the Exercises in a course in my (2009)MBA program was to take 3 articles from MSM and “verify” the accuracy of the information in the article. It was eye-opening for me as one who routinely believed what I read if it was in MSM. Not one article was without errors as validated through sources easily found.

In 2016, my nephew was murdered and the unsolved crime was reported widely in TV, radio and print. It was discouraging, but not surprising, that not one single report got basic facts correct about the crime, the person, or the circumstances.

Relying on MSM “facts” may not be wholly reliable. Seasoned WS-ers know this already!
MOO
Yes. Its crazy. Facts mangled for no apparent reason.

Last point for today: if Barry did in fact say, "it's too soon," when asked about why he hadn't yet made a statement to the public, this might also be ... problematic. "Too soon" is what we say in the moments or days after some horrible event, like a person's death. But in the days after Suzanne's disappearance, Barry should not already be of the view that the worst has occurred. Yes, his wife is missing, and that is bad, but he doesn't know --- or at least he shouldn't know --- that she is dead. She could be lost in the woods. She could have amnesia. Any number of things might be going on, and most people, when faced with a missing loved one, want to speak out to the public and tell the world everything they can so as to make an attempt to get their loved one back. They don't say "it's too soon," because in a sense, nothing has happened yet. For me, this is another example of where Barry's words are not quite right. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited:
I've been searching and can't find an answer to this. If someone consented to a search, is there any possibility that LE could seek a warrant just to support the fact that consent was given in the event consent was withdrawn or if consent was ever disputed at a later date?

Consent is not probable cause. Consent can, however, give rise to probable cause. For example, suppose you give me consent to search your person and in doing so I find cocaine. And I have undergone specific training and can readily identify cocaine. Upon positively identifying the cocaine, I have probable cause to seize you (arrest) for committing the crime of possessing an unlawful substance.

Consent is an exception to the warrant requirement; it cannot, by itself, give rise to probable cause. Consent would have to be a crime to do that! By the way, consent is not the only exception to the warrant requirement. There are approximately six (6) additional exceptions and each has its own justification, evidentiary burden, and restricted scope.

our newest legal member will chime in but I asked around here - and you may withdraw consent at any time and they have to stop. the essential component is voluntariness - https://quizlet.com/287260845/crij-276-unit-3-exam-flash-cards/ - it's a question on an exam as well.
Now, what happens if evidence is found during the voluntary search and then it is stopped ? that's what I want to know.

One of the exceptions to a search warrant is when an item is in plain view, and the officer has a legitimate reason to be in a position to observe it. They cannot seize the item unless they have probable cause to believe that it is illegal or evidence of a crime. I'd say that if the evidence seized during the voluntary search was in plain view, it would not matter that consent was stopped (i.e., consent wasn't required). MOO

It also factored into the wording from LE regarding Gannon Stauch, as they were very clear to say it was reported that Gannon was last seen leaving to play at a friend’s house. Reported, not “we know he was last seen leaving for a friend’s house”.

Yes, & in GS's heartbreaking case it was his murderer who 'reported' it...

I wonder who reported that SM didn't return from a bike ride - ?

It had been stated, I believe in the DM article (maybe memory faulty) that the last CONTACT with SM was on Saturday, the 9th.

Who did she, presumably, inform of her plan to take a bike ride?

Point being: we're taking someone's word for it that she intended to ride her bike Sunday morning, & IMO that bike & her belongings are staged.

BTW: I agree with other posters that this case in no way resembles a typical missing persons case.

I'd expect a much different approach: last seen, where she was last seen, what she was last seen wearing, physical description

I'd expect the SAR searches to be continuing far & wide - I would NOT expect the house to be cordoned, evidence removed, and a sealed warrant issued.

JMO

I could be wrong, but my take on it was that nephew already knew 'the condition' of the bike.
But he wanted the public to know also, possibly to put some pressure on someone?
I agree with you, he was probably told to keep it zipped on that and felt if others asked it would get out there. Then again conditions could mean a lot of things. Nothing wrong at all, not prints no clues, just he brakes locked and up against the bridge entrance or damaged like it was hit by something. He is wanting it out there that he knows something or they are not telling him and this may get LE to release info on that.

I've been wondering about that too. I can't think of another MP case in the state in which DOC searched. I assume they may have been called in because of the close proximity of the Buena Vista Correctional Complex, and that COs have LE training. It's a big group of people nearby who are capable of such a search and less likely to screw up the investigation by mishandling evidence.
I took the DOC being called in because they are the dog handlers. Often a Department of Corrections maintains teams of dogs to be used for tracking purposes. I think the purpose is typically to track escaped inmates or wanted persons. Or detect drugs. BUT - they can also be used to search for missing children or adults or people will dementia who may have wandered off from their homes - (and I believe that service is free of charge although I can't find an article on that right now). The dogs and officers of the tracking team would be well-trained so it makes sense that they would bring them in for a missing person search.

I'm not sure about the local prison system, but I know many prison systems have their own breeding program to supply dogs to the team of officers. So I don't read anything into DOC being part of the search other than they supplied the dogs and their handlers/officers to help search the area.

ETA: I pulled this up from Georgia's DOC, but you get the idea:
Canine Operations | The Georgia Department of Corrections

The Canine Unit is responsible for enhancing public safety throughout the State of Georgia by providing prompt and effective canine support for the GDC, public schools, and local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. The Canine Unit currently houses, trains, and deploys tracking and trailing canines, narcotic detection canines, cell phone detection canines, and explosive detection canines to support this diverse mission.

Last edited:
Last point for today: if Barry did in fact say, "it's too soon," when asked about why he hadn't yet made a statement to the public, this might also be ... problematic. "Too soon" is what we say in the moments or days after some horrible event, like a person's death. But in the days after Suzanne's disappearance, Barry should not already be of the view that the worst has occurred. Yes, his wife is missing, and that is bad, but he doesn't know --- or at least he shouldn't know --- that she is dead. She could be lost in the woods. She could have amnesia. Any number of things might be going on, and most people, when faced with a missing loved one, want to speak out to the public and tell the world everything they can so as to make an attempt to get their loved one back. They don't say "it's too soon," because in a sense, nothing has happened yet. For me, this is another example of where Barry's words are not quite right. Just my opinion, though.

In that mindset, would putting up $100,000 after the first day of her missing also be considered “too soon”? I would definitely be speaking out about her missing before putting out a reward. JMO :)

If I say this wrong or somehow violate the TOS someone please advise as this is my second attempt - wouldn't it be possible for a person to use an alibi of being two hours away because he/she, for example, is attending a weekend training session, educational seminar, wedding...it doesn't really matter what. Leave his/her phone at that location and travel back to his/her home location, commit a crime back home, then return back to the location two hours away....virtually undetected by either traveling at night, using a rental car, or using a stolen car. Let's say the crime was either theft of property or perhaps another much more serious felony. The distance between the home location and the location two hours away would seem to allow for the disposal of evidence of any kind along the way.
Not disputing the possibility that someone 2 hours away could have returned surreptitiously, but I doubt a rental car would be involved. I don't believe you can rent a car with a fake name, and without proper ID. With this in the news, if that someone rented a car with their own ID, I would think it would have been called in. (maybe it has been, you never know).
A stolen car would be very risky, there would be an alert for a stolen car, and I doubt that an individual would replace plates.....unless something was planned way in advance in order to secure fake plates.

I took the DOC being called in because they are the dog handlers. Often a Department of Corrections maintains teams of dogs to be used for tracking purposes. I think the purpose is typically to track escaped inmates or wanted persons. Or detect drugs. BUT - they can also be used to search for missing children or adults or people will dementia who may have wandered off from their homes - (and I believe that service is free of charge although I can't find an article on that right now). The dogs and officers of the tracking team would be well-trained so it makes sense that they would bring them in for a missing person search.

I'm not sure about the local prison system, but I know many prison systems have their own breeding program to supply dogs to the team of officers. So I don't read anything into DOC being part of the search other than they supplied the dogs and their handlers/officers to help search the area.

Yes, that seems to be one of the reasons they're out there. I've just never seen them used on such a search in CO before. They usually use dogs from an org like SARDOC, the SO, even avalanche rescue dogs from the ski resorts in certain conditions.

In all my years following cases I’m trying to recall a plea that wasn’t handled With LE - live at a presser? Anyone find this before in other cases and I’ve just missed this method?
JMO
Totally agree, likewise has there ever been a partner of a missing person who has said it is “ too soon” to make an appeal?
For most people having a loved one missing in those circumstances, even a few hours would seem like forever.

I've been wondering about that too. I can't think of another MP case in the state in which DOC searched. I assume they may have been called in because of the close proximity of the Buena Vista Correctional Complex, and that COs have LE training. It's a big group of people nearby who are capable of such a search and less likely to screw up the investigation by mishandling evidence.

Not Colorado but...last fall an elderly woman wandered off from the nursing home down the road from me. They were pretty sure she was in a rather large wooded area, and they brought in scent dogs to find her. They were from the DOC. Took them maybe twenty minutes to catch up to her.

The proximity may have had something to do with it (minimum security prison in next town over from us) and also DOC seems to have lots of trained dogs and handlers available--presumably for tracking down escapees?

Not disputing the possibility that someone 2 hours away could have returned surreptitiously, but I doubt a rental car would be involved. I don't believe you can rent a car with a fake name, and without proper ID. With this in the news, if that someone rented a car with their own ID, I would think it would have been called in. (maybe it has been, you never know).
A stolen car would be very risky, there would be an alert for a stolen car, and I doubt that an individual would replace plates.....unless something was planned way in advance in order to secure fake plates.

totally hypothetically, what if a "friend's" car was used? MOO.

Maybe it wasn’t a fire training at all. Perhaps a job for his landscaping business? MOO
It could of been EMT (emergency medical technician) or first responder training with police and fire fighters take along with other professions, or a profession in itself. So maybe those who are going down the training road are looking for the wrong thing. I am in data science but have had all kinds of trainings (for my job) but they aren't called anything such as data science. Managerial Training, Effective communication, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1